Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:44   #521
voiceofonelk3

I actually had several different things that caused me to want one.

The first was that I used to work for a municipal department in a town where no one ever kept their animals chained up. I had been forced into the back of my truck by a pitbull that thought I would taste yummy, so I decided the next time I would have something for him other than my rear end.

The other time was when I was shopping with my friends and we had someone come up to us asking for money. We told the guy that we didn't have any and we walked away but he kept fallowing us until about 15 feet behind us. We were lucky because we happened to see a police officer not to far away that took care of things for us.

The last one was when I was actually after I got my carry permit but I think it still applies. I was interning for my criminal justice degree with the local sheriff's dept and had been with an officer a few days prior when he had arrested a man for a list of things including DUI and a suspended license. Well the man who was arrested thought he would seek some sort of revenge by giving me a hard time at work. He stopped by just to let me know that he knew where I lived and worked. He also informed me that he knew how to use a weapon. I informed him on a few things and let the Sheriff's dept know about him.

Last edited by voiceofonelk3; 01-13-2009 at 02:46..
voiceofonelk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 14:38   #522
Jack22
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsworn View Post
We're talking about some random A-hole knocking me over at work so he can sell my EQ . . . my company has already been robbed for our EQ twice, how long before it happens again?
What's an EQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsworn View Post
At least in the Detroit area, we're not talking about Jean Val Jean stealing bread to feed his family.
I gotta admit that GT was the last place I expected to see a reference to Les Miserables. Nice!
Jack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 17:29   #523
LMGTEXAS
Semper Fidelis

Why I Legally Carry Concealed?

Because when seconds count, the police are minutes away!

Nuff said! Learn to defend yourself, don't rely on others!
LMGTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41   #524
RioKid

I was given my first .22 rifle when I was 8 or 9 y.o. I grew up around guns all my life so there is no defining moment as to when I decided having a gun with me was a good idea. In the 50's and 60's in the rural areas where we lived it was common for folks, even youngsters, to have a gun with them. This was not for SD but was just the way it was. Seems like every pickup truck had a gun rack in the back glass and a handgun on the dash or in the glove box. When I was a junior in HS we put on a play with an Old West theme. Guess what? About a dozen of the actors were outfitted with real gunslinger outfits and real guns........in the school house..... for several weeks as we practiced and promoted the play.

I bought my first handgun when I was 18 or 19 y.o. and had it with me everywhere I went. A fella just never new when he might need to dispose of some varmint such as a snake or a skunk.

I have always carried a handgun with me on long trips and out of ignorance of the laws, I may have done this illegally in some places. If asked about it now I would have to say that I have no recollection of ever having done such a dreadful thing.

I find it distasteful that I have to have a "permit" to do what is my right and what, until just a few years ago, was the norm for a lot of people. That being said, when concealed carry was passed in our state I was one of the first to get one and will always carry
John 3:16
RioKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 14:44   #525
21Glocker

My dad is a LEO and i have always been aware of the danger on the streets. I have grown up with guns all my life and the day i turned 21 i took my CCW class and purchased a G26. I don't feel like being a victim, so i feel that it is the least thing i can do to protect myself and my family.
G39-Bull Dawgs Club#1987
Black Rifle Club#1987
21Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 21:13   #526
Duskydriver

Well mine happened last night.

I drive a truck for a living, and after unloading in San Antonio, I headed to Waco, dropped my trailer at a shipper, and headed for the hotel. These trucks are equipped with refridgerators, but when it is really cold out they'll drain the batteries down.

About 9:30 last night I left my hotel room to go shut the fridge off. Cell phone was on the charger (that won't happen again). I went downstairs, walked across the moderately lit parking lot, and opened the drivers side door.

Standing in my truck was an older black man with all my belongings in a pillow case.

I immediately stepped back off the steps and told him to get the ---- out of my truck. he finally did exit the passenger door. I walked toward him as he was getting into his car yelling at him to give me back my stuff. He reached into his coat as if he was reaching into a holster, so I got behind the truck as he left.

Nothing was taken, and I am very fortunate to be sitting here chatting with you all. I didn't see him until I entered the truck, but he had eyeballs on me the whole walk across the parking lot. He could have shot me as soon as I opened the door.

CWP class will be done next week. Unfortunately I will have to wait for it to be processed!!!
Duskydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 00:34   #527
EMPwoman

Ok so I'm reading all of the horrible encounters all of you have had and thinking how stupid my reason for getting my CC was.

When I first started dating my husband....and yes, driving his vehicle.....I would get so friggin irritated that I couldn't just hop in HIS truck and take off without first checking to see if there MIGHT be a gun in the vehicle. (Have a lead foot, get pulled over a lot!!)

Nowadays, after having a permit for a few years and a toddler to protect, I feel naked if I go out in public without at least one gun strapped on. Talk about an about face huh?
EMPwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:53   #528
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPwoman View Post
Ok so I'm reading all of the horrible encounters all of you have had and thinking how stupid my reason for getting my CC was.

When I first started dating my husband....and yes, driving his vehicle.....I would get so friggin irritated that I couldn't just hop in HIS truck and take off without first checking to see if there MIGHT be a gun in the vehicle. (Have a lead foot, get pulled over a lot!!)

Nowadays, after having a permit for a few years and a toddler to protect, I feel naked if I go out in public without at least one gun strapped on. Talk about an about face huh?
That's a perfectly fine reason.

Welcome to GT. Look forward to your contributions in Carry Issues.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 21:11   #529
Odinsworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack22 View Post
What's an EQ?

I gotta admit that GT was the last place I expected to see a reference to Les Miserables. Nice!

EQ = equipment
Odinsworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:57   #530
advdes45

Columbine finally did it for me. And the way Clinton exploited the tragedy before the kid's bodies were even cold made me want to exercise my 2A right even more.
advdes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:39   #531
achysklic

I decided me and my wife need our ccw for a couple of reasons. First tis happened a yr. ago I am a paramedic I am gone 24hrs at a time. I was away one night about 12 midnight my wife was sitting on couch in living room watching tv.She turned around and a man came up the hallway. He was high on alcohol and drugs. She kept a level head, kept the couch between her and him and ordered him out he did. He came in through my sons bed room window. (luckily my son was away for the night.) The guy was caught had a long record of this and got a slap on the wrist. 2 weeks later my wifes windshield on her car had a ballbat taken to it. Now a yr later in less than 2 weeks I have to go have major back surgery that will leave me in bed for several weeks....This is why we both carry everywhere we go now... Given the chance again this guy or nobody else that comes into my house and is a threat to me and my family will not get a slap on the wrist! Thank God Ohio now has the castle law!
achysklic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 20:59   #532
ConroeTxCCW

Why CC?

I was speaking with my cousin, who is a fellow Glock owner and is an LEO for Houston, TX PD. I asked him "How do I get out of speeding tickets?"
His reply: "Don't speed."
I said "What else?"
He said "Get your CHL." He said that when he pulls people over, he truthfully doesn't care if they were speeding, etc. He is looking for warrants. Showing him that card is basically saying "I'm a good guy with a clean record, and a reson to keep it that way."
So I bought the class to take with my dad as a Father's Day present and decided that I should carry everywhere based on Murphy's Law. As a 6'7" 300lb man, I never thought anyone would be that stupid. I was wrong. Thankfully though, I had a recourse when giving away my wallet and cell phone didn't prove too helpful. Now, I carry a spare gun.
Old 02-04-2009, 14:01   #533
skelator73

My Reason

I have two reason's...

1. About 4 years ago I was working for my uncle at his little service/gas station in a nicer part of the city. It was about 3 in the afternoon sun still out high and bring in the sky. I am doing some cleaning of some sort and two young thugs walk in guns drawn. One points his gun straight in my face and yells " Gimmi the F'in money or Ill kill you foo" I will never forget those words EVER!!! The other one walks back into the garage were my uncle and the mechanic are going over a car. So I open the register and give him the cash, he then screams " Were's the GD safe open the safe" I inform him that we dont have a safe here. I must have felt 2 inches tall saying that. Then I hear my uncle yell in the back " Just give them the money!!!" So what must have been 30 seconds go by but it felt like 30 hours, the one up front with me pokes his head in the garage and yells "lets go B lets go". They then push on the door that you have to pull to open * I look back on that its kinda funny* Uncle gets on the phone and calls 911. Me being stupid follows them to see which way they go, if they get in a car, anything. They get away with maybe 40 bucks in the register the 50 in my wallet and they dropped my uncles wallet which had like 1200 bucks in it... Then I go to close my bank account maybe 25 minutes after all this happend come to find out they have allready used my check card at a mc. donalds 4 miles away from my house!!! I call my house and tell my mother to lock the doors close the windows and get my shotgun and dont open the door for anyone. When I get home I find her sitting in the living room with the shotgun on her lap, my step dad with his 45 on his lap. and my grandmother has my grandfathers old over/under on her bed. Ive never felt so safe in my own home.

This happens Yesterday actually. My buddy owns a small pizza shop in a strip mall . Its about 8ish and there is a loud bang bang bang on the back door. Knowing that he has been robbed before I arm myself with the closest thing possible which was a 13 inch knife. I go in the back room and call the police. The lady on the phone says they will send a unit over.... 25 minutes later 2 LEO's pull infront of the pizza shop buthen they pull forward and park infront of the liquor store. Turns out that the person who pounded on the door was looking to find someone that would open the door, the lady two stores away opened the door. She was then robbed at gun point by a guy who was high on drugs. I walk down and inform the LEO that there was some very loud bangs on the back door of the pizza shop as well and I called some 25 mintues ago and that if they would have resopnded quicker they may have caught the robber The young LEO caught my smart ass comment and didnt say a word.

I signed up for my CCW class today, to the disapproval of my family they see no reason for me to carry a firearm. Pretty sure thats two damn good reasons right there if ya ask me.... Stay safe GT
Mossburg 20G been in my family 57 years :-)
G1 Niner club #1032
skelator73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 15:09   #534
Crime Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Glockster View Post
The two main reasons for me were the outcome of the Presidential election and that coupled with the tanking economy. Desperate times bring out desperate people that will do anything to survive.
Wow...my reasons exactly. Knowing that crime will increase as people get more desperate, I wanted to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights. I purchased my G23. (I don't yet have my CCW, but will be applying this week. Just finished the class that is required here in Ohio on Saturday.)

Eventually, I want to get my wife to come around and carry as well. She's not there yet though.
Old 02-12-2009, 21:50   #535
newcc

When the commie president said "clinging to their guns and religion" I thought I needed to look into this gun thing ! I am 52 and never shot a handgun before. I took a private lesson from the local firearms instructor at the range, liked it, & my wife and I took the ccp class, I bought a Glock 19, and I am waiting for my paperwork to come through on the cc.
Also there is an increasing number of home invasions, hold ups, ect. One evening we were approached by a very aggressive panhandler when leaving a restrauant, this was not in a dark alley -it was on main street in a snazzy town- and I am 6' 2" 200 lbs and in good shape, I know I"m old but this was bold by any standard. It hit me these bad guys are nuts and anything could happen anytime and I need to protect myself and family. This guy could have had a weapon & I would have been screwed.

We have met the nicest and most helpfull people in the "gun community" at the range, gun shows and shops. Its given my wife and I somthing to do together. we are looking forward to going to the range Friday. Thanks, Bob
newcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 23:14   #536
jimmeadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcc View Post
When the commie president said "clinging to their guns and religion" I thought I needed to look into this gun thing ! I am 52 and never shot a handgun before. I took a private lesson from the local firearms instructor at the range, liked it, & my wife and I took the ccp class, I bought a Glock 19, and I am waiting for my paperwork to come through on the cc.
Also there is an increasing number of home invasions, hold ups, ect. One evening we were approached by a very aggressive panhandler when leaving a restrauant, this was not in a dark alley -it was on main street in a snazzy town- and I am 6' 2" 200 lbs and in good shape, I know I"m old but this was bold by any standard. It hit me these bad guys are nuts and anything could happen anytime and I need to protect myself and family. This guy could have had a weapon & I would have been screwed.

We have met the nicest and most helpfull people in the "gun community" at the range, gun shows and shops. Its given my wife and I somthing to do together. we are looking forward to going to the range Friday. Thanks, Bob
Well stated, Bob! You made the right decision (along with your wife).

Excellent choice on the G19 by the way. I use that as my carry piece too.
Old 02-12-2009, 23:30   #537
RiverVan
FREEDOM

The world seems to be going crazy.
I went to buy 9mm and .40 S&W ammunition this week. Homestead, Kendall and Hialeah Wal-Marts were all out of 9mm, only a little 40 available. Finally bought 2K of 9 @ bass pro in Doral, I got the last 2K of bulk packs.

In the last month I have taken two newbies to the range (co-workers) and have made plans to go with an orthopedic surgeon I am friends with. I never though him to be the type to have any interest in CCW or buying a handgun. I am all for helping those who have never shot before. The more firearms owners we have, the more the politicians fear us.

Obama seems to be the biggest gun salesman ever!

Anyone else having problems finding ammunition? I have NEVER not found WWB 9mm or 40 at wal-mart before.

Hard time coming!
Peace
River
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59   #538
ssax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriapismSD View Post
There were a couple moments that were important:

I was out dancing at a bar, think it was called The Jug, and this girl I met named Linda. Then in walked a man, with a gun in his hand and he was looking for, well, you know who. He made fun of my blonde hair and told me that was his woman there, he does in fact care, and this might be all for me.
Well I was scared, and pretty much just shaking, as he was big and mean, big and bad, and pointing his gun at ME! So I explained to him, wait a minute sir, I didn't even kiss her, so I asked if he could allow me one favor. I figured if I had a short head start, maybe only a few steps, that would be the last he would see of my. But I can tell you, after staring down that big hole in the barrel (it had to be a .44), they could hear me screaming from a mile away as I ran for the door.

The second time, I met a few people that seemed nice. One was an actress, one a college professor, one a pretty simple farm girl, and a well-to-do elderly couple. We decided to take a little boat ride outside the harbor with the ship's captain and first mate, and it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.
A three hour tour.
I can't go into the details, but it wasn't for the actions of the fearless crew, the boat would be lost. Thank Gawd everyone packed dozens of changes of clothes and neverending batteries to power the radio.

We did get to meet the Harlem Globetrotters, though.

I thought the fist one was serious, so I was driving home today and heard skynyrd and was listening to the words and I was like, "that motor boatin sum *****". Hahaha
Old 02-16-2009, 09:05   #539
HK-N-THE-HOUSE
Silver Membership

Because we live in a sad world today.
HK-N-THE-HOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 13:15   #540
SigsnGlocks

Picked up my CCW soon after starting work building a commercial office. Office was stripped of all copper in the building stages and I found myself spending many late nights over there just sitting I own a business where I often stay late into the wee hours of the morning finishing paperwork, and there is a ghetto section 8 apartment complex just a stones throw away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
SigsnGlocks is offline   Reply With Quote