GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2008, 14:36   #501
Sir Glockster

The two main reasons for me were the outcome of the Presidential election and that coupled with the tanking economy. Desperate times bring out desperate people that will do anything to survive.
Sir Glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 23:17   #502
leVieux

I grew up in an O.C. legal state.
Then moved to Texas.
In 1981, a recently paroled convict tried to kidnap me in Houston.
By the grace of God and marathon training, I was able to get away.
My first and main thought was "Where is my pistol; why don't I have a gun now?"
I spoke with two career Houston P. D. officers. Both said to carry concealed, anyway, even thoughit was illegal at the time.
When Texas offered CHL's, I signed up and got one.
If you are ever threatened with your life while unarmed, you will see this issue differently, as I did. The old saying "Would you rather be judged by twelve or carried by six?" suddenly takes on a new, really personal, meaning.
May God save America !
leVieux
leVieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 00:48   #503
jimmeadows

Well said, Levieux! Another way that I have put it is: I would much rather be in a position of always carrying a gun and never needing to use it, than to be in the horrible position of needing a gun and not having one.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02   #504
jimmeadows

Multiple factors compounded over time to lead me to CCW:

1). Having grown up hunting and being pretty comfortable handling guns, I always had an affinity for them. That gave me a basic foundation.
2). Later in life I simply became more aware of how easy it was for the bad guys to win.
3). Lots of good input from folks like G. Gordon Liddy and Sean Hannity.
4). Reflecting upon how my job takes me on the road frequently at odd hours.
5). Some good conversations with friends who were cops and ex-cops.
6). Reading David Klinger's recent book, Into the Kill Zone. As an ex-LA cop, he does an excellent job discussing multiple aspects of what it means to carry a weapon and using it when necessary. Although the book focuses on LEO situations, many of the principles apply to CCW for civilians.
7). My normal manly desire to protect my castle and my family.
8). A sense of ethical obligation---more than just the bad guys need to carry. If my carrying will some day save my life or another innocent person's life, than I say "Bravo!" [I'm sure there are many other reasons, but I think these are the main ones.]

Last edited by jimmeadows; 12-29-2008 at 18:34..
jimmeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:55   #505
Harley Rider 1955

The reason I got a permit?
I got tired of trying to conceal (legally) a shotgun or carbine under a long coat. When my state allowed permits for concealed handguns, I got one.
Harley Rider 1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:23   #506
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

I was always saying I was going to do it when I moved to P.A. from L.I. in 1996.I was always in to firearms & had rifles & did buy some hand guns to shoot at the range & for H/D but always said I was going to get my CCW.I will get it this week,this week,etc,etc. Then came 9/11/01-911. I got it as soon as I could. I can not even think of not having one now. I don't go anywhere with out my gun NO WHERE. Only the P/O & the P/R of NY or NJ or if the law won't let me. I can tell you this I don't like not having it not with me! That for sure.
P.S. I do train & shoot a lot. I train not just at the range shooting but my mind as well. Train,Train & train some more.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27   #507
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
Lots of small reasons:
1. Coming home from the army from the West Bank in uniform and unarmed.
2. Security Nazis searching unarmed people at entrances of malls, public transport stations, etc.
3. Low capacity and stopping power of police pistols available to reserve LEOs.
4. General threat of criminal activity.
5. A gentleman should always carry a loaded gun.
I like #5
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28   #508
bridros
VFW AMVET NRA

I have always hunted and been around guns, always had a pistol next to my bed after returning from Vietnam. My wife to further her career took a job selling cars 80+ miles away from our home and we both had to travel long lonely roads driving back and forth on our days off. We both got our carry permits and she a .38 (S&W 442) and I a G27 10 years ago.

Never had a situation in which either of us felt threatened but my old friend "Murphy'" always said being prepared means nothing will happen! I sure hope he is right.
bridros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:07   #509
jrpro130

Personal/Home protection. I don't like being unarmed.
jrpro130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:11   #510
ruger270man
Gun Nut

No defining moments for me. I grew up using guns as a tool for hunting. Started hunting less, and simply target shooting more. Bought a pistol when I turned 21, because, I mean, its a gun, I like guns, and I couldn't have one prior to that. And I figure, if I have a pistol, I might as well carry it, amirite or amirite?
Old 12-29-2008, 21:38   #511
keepup

My first post....

Pretty simple really. The Colorado Church Shootings in December 2007 were my defining moment. I figured if it can happen there, it can happen ANYWHERE!
keepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 22:29   #512
PriapismSD
Free Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
Don't quit your day job.
Thank you, I'm here all week. Tip your waitress.

But seriously folks:
I knew two people there at the San Ysidro McDonalds shooting. One of which had a CCW and later ran a gun store in town, but he wasn't carrying that day, so when he saw Huberty going in with the rifles, he had to turn and run. Nice to think 40 people would not have been shot that day, only one.

Had a laser pointed at me one night on the freeway home, didn't dawn on me until shortly after it was likely attached to a weapon. The one night I didn't bring my gun since it was only a short trip to Sears...

Was chased on that same freeway a few years later on another night, until he finally pulled off. Let's see, I had a Beretta 96 Centurion, spare mag, POS truck I didn't care about, and a full tank of gas. Yeah, go ahead and chase me buddy...
It is nice knowing I can exhaust all other options until this guy does something that makes me take it to the next level, and I am confident I will prevail

Counting the register alone one night after closing, a guy gives me the eye when he passes the dark front door. Hear gouging on a back window, the same day someone tried to break into the service dept and didn't complete the mission. This guy got a G26 in his face through the plateglass, and found out he was just scratching his name in the storefront. Funny how he ran like a little be-otch when I went to the door to go out and stop him.

Other than that, just a general disgust at the response time for local PD when really needed (ever seen how long it takes to even answer the phone when you call 911 on your cell?), so I just decided to acquire the training and equipment needed to be self-sufficient
Consult your physician to see if the 'Pism is right for you. Symptoms may include euphoria, smugness, moistness, and increased sarcasm levels. Discontinue use if you experience nausea, vomiting, or a condition lasting longer than 4 hours. Your mileage may vary, first time buyers are welcome, and wait at least 30 minutes before swimming. See our ad in this month's Cosmo, net weight before cooking.
PriapismSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 16:02   #513
Road Hog

I started carrying for several reasons. I have had my permit for years but only recently started to carry.
1. I think the country is going into the tank so I feel much less safe than before.
2. Got my first handgun at age 12 and have shot for 51 years. I am competent. Like any tool as a weapon is, if you know how to use it and someday you need it and don't have it, and if I or someone close to me died as a result of my not having it, I would never forgive myself. I chose not to live with that possibility. So I carry. Now the legal aspects of carrying and using scare the hell out of me so I am studying hard of when and how to use, and how to best survive the legal experience.
Road Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44   #514
wall of thugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
My defining moment to carry a gun was probally when I was born a red blooded American.
I like that!!
wall of thugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 16:26   #515
KY Concealed

I got mine because I could, thats about it...
KY Concealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 18:27   #516
beechers

My defining moments

I have had a few incidents which gave rise for CCW consideration but the straw that broke the camels back came Thanksgiving day just past. I was invited to attend dinner with a friend, who has no family here in Orlando, at the home of one of his coworkers parents, where he is always a Thanksgiving guest. I had to decline the invitation to dine with my immediate family who all live here in Orlando.

During their dinner, 3 masked gunmen burst in and robbed the holiday guests, pistol whipping 6 of them. I could have easily been one of those victims. On December 17th I took the CCW course and submitted my application materials the following day.

I've had enough close calls and am looking forward to being dressed for personal protection. I guess after years of deliberation I've finally made a decision before it might have been too late!
beechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 19:56   #517
MoMo

I did it for self protection. A certain percentage of the population will kill a person without giving it a second thought. It has always been that way and it will never change.
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 20:28   #518
mselvio

A friend owned a liquor store in Northern Indiana, was robbed at gun point, with a pistol held at his head. I own a small business in the same town. I refuse to be a victim.
mselvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 13:49   #519
Odinsworn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Glockster View Post
The two main reasons for me were the outcome of the Presidential election and that coupled with the tanking economy. Desperate times bring out desperate people that will do anything to survive.

I think you're cutting people too much slack in times like these. At least in the Detroit area, we're not talking about Jean Val Jean stealing bread to feed his family. We're talking about some random A-hole knocking me over at work so he can sell my EQ to stay comfortable. I might do some desperate things to feed my family, but I'd probably steal food from a store, not car jack someone. I'd be willing to bet most people you'd need to shoot are after money for drugs or luxury items, not things to aid in survival.

Back to topic, I'm headed towards a CCW because my company has already been robbed for our EQ twice, how long before it happens again?

Last edited by Odinsworn; 01-09-2009 at 13:52..
Odinsworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 18:27   #520
davebloomer

I have always wanted to get it because i love guns. I decided to finally get it for a few reasons.

1) Protect my wife - I couldn't live without her.
2) protect myself - I don't want my wife to have to live without me.
3) my wife is very attractive and that often gets attention from scumbags. I know it causes us more danger than if i were alone.
davebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote