Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2009, 19:04   #501
jvette

The first time you get a 9mm pointed at your head and you get robbed you decide that is the last time. So I now carry locked and loaded.
jvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 16:07   #502
Kyle E. Coyote
Super Genius

I was born in Akron, raised in Detroit and live in Cleveland... it's a no-brainer.
MY CURRENT FAVORITES: Les Baer TRS, a pair of HK45 V1s, a pair of FN FNP-45s, Robar Alloy Extreme Professional, and so many spare mags, parts, springs, and boxes of ammo I'm sure there's another good one buried in here somewhere....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Kyle E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19   #503
tarheel316

Two punks living in the apartment above me were making constant noise and I lodged numerous complaints with the property manager. I heard they were going to "get" me so I took CCW. Now any time I walk from the parking lot to my unit I feel a little better and safer.
tarheel316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51   #504
B1rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel316 View Post
Two punks living in the apartment above me were making constant noise and I lodged numerous complaints with the property manager. I heard they were going to "get" me so I took CCW. Now any time I walk from the parking lot to my unit I feel a little better and safer.
I would be moving ASAP.
B1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 16:08   #505
Gordy Dog

I'm just seventeen years old. I do everything I can to defend myself as best I can at all times, but of course you can't bring a knife to a gun fight and expect to do much.

'Till then though, I will just have to hope that guys and gals like you are nearby...

Thank you all.
Old 03-09-2009, 16:25   #506
annieO09

I bought my first .38 as I was working to get my get my abusive husband (now ex) out of the house. I kept it with me at all times and hidden from him. He had tried to strangle me and yes it was serious. He plead out with my help...typical behavior of an abused woman. I was in no position to have him removed without securing a job, bank account, cell phone, etc...I'm not the same person now and I am a survivor in every way.

As time went on and he was removed by Ex Parte he has continued to harass and threaten me. I then decided that I had to be able to protect myself away from my home. I traded the Charter for a S&W .38, bought a couple more home defense type weapons and took the required training.

He is UNAWARE of my status and it shall remain so. Never tip your hand to the bad guy.I don't just focus on one threat though. Given the rise of crime in my area it is wise to look at random acts of violence as a potential risk.

I was on a ride along last Saturday and a female soldier who had filed for divorce from her husband was murdered while I was on the day shift. He had been arrested the night before for domestic assault and released a few hours later on a COR. He found her, stabbed her and was picked up on the interstate with her in the vehicle. It sure hits home for me and my prayers go out to her family. She was only 18 and had finally seen the light. Too bad she trusted the words, "I'm not going to hurt you, just let me in."

She was on leave to take care of the paperwork and was actually looking forward to going back to the war zone.

This is why I carry.

[This is an important topic and annieO09 makes it very easy to understand why it is important. I thank her for being so open and forthright.
I feel so strongly about it, I gave annieO09 her own thread.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1017826
Thanks again!
RussP]

Last edited by RussP; 03-11-2009 at 08:49.. Reason: Add Note
annieO09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 17:22   #507
arrowdriver

No special incident here. Lived in Dallas when I became a citizen, and decided it was time to be able to protect myself.
arrowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 15:31   #508
Nidob

Don't have it yet but plan on it. My reasons:

1) New/firstime owner, taking some training first anyhow. Need to make time to practice a couple times a month for sure.
2) Current and future regulations.
3) Wife works with bad people, they know her name. Home security is a concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily.
Nidob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 16:16   #509
GlockkcolG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
+1 best reason!

When I moved to a shall issue state I got my permit and when it came time to relocate I chose to live in another state that respects my right to K&B arms.

In my opinion everyone should have a permit (if they can).
Same here. I moved from the communist state of Massachusetts to the free state of Arizona, and after finding a job, the first thing I did was buy a gun. Four weeks later took a CCW class and now I'm armed everywhere I go.
GlockkcolG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 22:34   #510
NevadaMike

Defining moment

I live in Las Vegas. Do I need to say more?
NevadaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 22:41   #511
postmanpwc

Send a message via MSN to postmanpwc
When I moved out of my parents house and into another state...one of the last things my father told me was to "buy a gun to protect yourself....ect" so thats what I did. Funny thing is he told me this AFTER I moved far away from Detroit lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 23:43   #512
Jeff G17

Wasn't going to,bu after the last four days my mind has changed (public shootings).
Jeff G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 23:54   #513
joshigh

I was always exposed to guns as a kid. My dad wasn't a gun nut, but he had a handful. There were a few times that I can remember when he needed to use one.

1. We used to live next to a plant nursery. I was really little, I remember my dad getting wound up and my mom getting really anxious. I don't know what tipped him off, but he went outside, through the gate into the nursery and held a man at gunpoint with his dad's old Browning auto shotgun. There was a police helicopter in the air with a search light in the field. I think my dad was holding him until the cops got there, or keeping him out of our yard. I need to ask him about that...

2. Another time, another house, we heard some noises at the back door. My dad grabbed the only pistol he had, a '76 Ruger Mark II, went to the door and yelled something at someone, told him we hear him, and he better get the hell out of our yard or he'll shoot.

3. The most memorable. I was about 12 now. My dad and I were on vacation in Atlanta to a Braves game weekend. We were staying at a modest motel, not trashy, but not posh either. I remember waking up to my dad looking out the peep hole on the door. Then I heard someone beating on the door so hard I could see it moving. Some drunk had the wrong room and thought his lady friend was in there. My dad kept telling him he had the wrong room, but he wouldn't listen. He kept on and on, getting more and more belligerent. Finally my dad cracked the door with his foot bracing, and latch in place, stuck the barrel of his pistol out and told him, 'Buddy, you've got the wrong room...' Things got real quiet after that, the guy apologized and left.

4. A short time after number 3, him and his buddy got their permits, and both bought Glock 23s. This was when they were new to everyone. Being a young boy I was hooked.

It always made sense to me to have a defensive tool handy.

I got serious about gun ownership when I was about 24. I bought a few handguns and got my permit all within a few months. I was young and dumb for a while, 18-24, just being a kid. I started paying more attention to the news, and started reading about crime happening on familiar streets and in places I frequent. I'm 27 now, I have lived with my girlfriend for about 3 years, and she had never touched a gun before me. She now has her own Taurus 605 snubby, and is getting her permit next week over spring break. Might even ditch the snubby and get a G26. She grabs it when she gets freaked out at home alone. She isn't afraid to use it. She has a big heart, loves to help people and animals. She's a nursing student. But she has the same mentality I do. The instant you step foot in my house or try to bring harm to me or my loved ones, you've made the decision to risk your life.

I carry a lot, but less than I should. The recent spike in crime definitely has me more alert and armed than usual. I'm slowly working it in to a 24/7 habit. I don't really go anywhere other than work and school. But I make sure I have it everywhere else. Thankfully my state (FL) is a mecca for concealed and gun rights in general. I hope to God it stays that way forever. I vote!

Great thread, and great stories! I read them ALL!
joshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 00:43   #514
majic man

My dad is the Lt. In charge of a local and federal jail. On a few occassions when it is take your kid to work day I was in the isolated room overlooking the booking area. It really struck me that this guy I was staring at and he at me had just murdered a woman 3 days ago. It really opened my eyes to the scum on this planet. Therefore I intend on getting my LTCH when I turn 18.

I'm 100% right 50% of the time.
majic man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:25   #515
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Nothing made me decide to lawfully carry a handgun.. It was a simple choice, same as wearing a seatbelt or owning a fire extinguisher/smoke alarm.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:17   #516
flagg

Bad guys carry.

But I'm not a bad guy.

Bad guys carry.

I'm not a bad guy.

Bad guys carry.

But I'm—oooooh.

So I should carry to protect myself and my family from bad guys.

Enter .357
flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:19   #517
sugarcreek
familyman

...my children...

...and my desire to protect them...

This was a central element.
Old 03-15-2009, 17:13   #518
jimmeadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagg View Post
Bad guys carry.

But I'm not a bad guy.

Bad guys carry.

I'm not a bad guy.

Bad guys carry.

But I'm—oooooh.

So I should carry to protect myself and my family from bad guys.

Enter .357
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Your statement is incredibly simple, yet profoundly meaningful. Thank you!<o:p></o:p>
I know I may be preaching to the choir here, but it absolutely mystifies me that so many people in our society today do not understand this most basic point about the importance of guns for self defense.

The bad guys are going to carry weapons regardless; that is a given. Therefore, . . . . <o:p></o:p>
Old 03-17-2009, 13:45   #519
beechers

[quote=jimmeadows;12517272]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I gotta' bet that was one of the intentions behind CCW.
beechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:38   #520
Acemedic1

im like alot of you that decided to carry mainly just because thats what my family has always done. everyone in my family, mother,grandmother,grandfather, carry daily for protection it was a simple choice for me to do the same. fortunately there has never been a tiime when pulling/shooting was necessary for anyone in my family but when i was 20 yrs old i realized that at anytime your life could be put in jeopardy. i was alone at a gas station in a pretty rough part of town late at night, pretty cliche' i no but i was approached while going into the store by somebody that seemed to have known me from earlier in my life maybe school or something i just wrote it off because i was on the phone. while in the store i watched the man and his buddy walk around tothe side of the store where my truck was parked. thinking to myself dang another bum is gonna try and hit me up for some money, i pulled my cell phone back out and pretended to take a call. as i approached my truck he was on the passenger side still trying to talk to me and his buddy had walked around posting up probably six feet from me on a newstand. when i opened my door the guy quickly opened my passenger door which i had left unlocked like an idiot and told me to "get in now mother@@@@@" i slammed my door shut and ran around to the front of the store where everyone was oblivious and called the cops. of course they hauled butt and i couldnt describe them enough to satisfy my local SD so they went without chase. i just cant help but wonder that if he had timed his entry a little better and waited until i was seated in the truck that he could have put a knife/gun hell anything for that matter to me and i would have been at his mercy. that was when i decided for myself that personal protection is a must and cannot be overlooked, not ever, because you never no when something can happen.

Glock 22,23,27 SA 1911, dpms ap4, wasr-10, 870x2, 10/22, reminton 700 x2 .300win/.270 kel tec p32
Acemedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote