Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:27   #361
Thebes

Yep, just handed our 4-month-old over to my my wife to breastfeed (the look he gives me every time I hand him over to her is always so non-plussed, like he's thinking "OK, why don't you have boobies, too? You are woefully ill-equipped here, dude."

I lived in Portland, Oregon during a time of pretty intense skinhead activity, not too long after the murder of Mulugeta Seraw by some White Aryan Resistance (WAR) thugs. The synagogue I had occasionally attended had also been sprayed with gunfire. I was doing a lot of work in the area of human rights and figured, much as I believe in fairness and equality, there are predators in this world who will always see reality as a zero-sum game; they see equal rights for some as less rights for them and will take your rights forcibly and violently - including and especially you right to simply live. They will never stop unless they are forcibly stopped and the police will seldom be around to help.

As a life-long martial artist, I also knew that there are limits to the degree that hands, feet, knees, elbows, teeth and fingernails can protect you. Sadly, there are too many martial artists (especially in the women's self-defense movement) who subscribe to this orthodoxy of "my body is my weapon". Yes, it's one weapon, but not the only one, not necessarily the best, and certainly not adequate depending on the threat.
Thebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 18:28   #362
EAGLESFANPHILA

I live in Philadelphia, PA. In 2006, there were 380 murders by handgun in the city, I believe the total was surpassed in 2007. Some of the victims were robbed and shot/killed for no reason at all. I'm not sure of the totals this year, but for this reason I carry my Glock 19 or 26 daily.
EAGLESFANPHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:00   #363
tedwhite

Sad to here about what's happened to that part of Idaho, Travis. I used to live near Kalispell, MT in the '60s and spent a couple of days in Bonner's Ferry (got snowed in) on my way to SF. As I recall, it was a sleepy little hamlet.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:55   #364
akgunnut

I am 23 years old, and a few of my friends think that I am trying to compensate for something by carrying a concealed handgun. When I was 11 years old, I dislocated my left hip joint, and its never healed right since. I can't joint the military, I can't become an LEO, and I can't practice martial arts, because I simply don't have the range of motion in my left leg. I can still walk well enough, but I can't run very long, so trying to outrun a guy hell bent on killing me may not be the best option. My only other choice is to stay and fight, and I'm not going to end up in the hospital with a dislocated and/or broken leg because I got into a scuffle. I will shoot the guy, and still be able to walk into the courtroom unharmed.

Better to be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.

Did I mention I live in a place where the human is not on the top of the food chain?

That is another reason I carry!

Last edited by akgunnut; 08-12-2008 at 05:58..
akgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:18   #365
NsMoBoy

Yesterday we learned at our Neighbors son was carjacked at gunpoint around 1:30AM. Things similar to this have been occuring around the neighborhood.

With all thats going on here, and across the country as a whole, I'm feeling more compelled to get my carry permit.

Have a lot of research to do, no clue what to get, what is a good gun, etc.
NsMoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34   #366
tedwhite

A good first carry gun is the Glock 26. Small, 10+1 capacity, and easy to use. Just remove it from whatever type of holster you decide on, and pull the trigger. Read about it.

Good luck on passing the CCW course.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 18:17   #367
guru_I_aint
Young Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
NsMoBoy,

DO NOT GET A GLOCK AS A FIRST CARRY GUN! I know this is Glocktalk, but it just isn't a good choice, in this instance.

Get a Ruger, Smith & Wesson, or Taurus J-frame revolver. Preferably with a 2 or 3" barrel. .357 would be a good choice of caliber for a new concealed carry gun. Personally, I'm considering a .44. I also don't really care whether or not anyone notices I'm carrying.

If you'd like further guidance on the subject, e-mail me.
Um... be prepared to talk to the police ALOT. You know in some states "printing" is considered brandishing. Even if it's not illegal, people's first reaction to seeing someone that might have a gun is call the cops.

Anyway, I'm sick of all this don't get an auto for your first carry gun. What but it's ok for your second? If you think about it, a Glock is just as easy to function as a DA revolver. Let's see, unholster and pull the trigger for both of them and provided there is a cartridge under the firing pin, they go off. Revolvers jam too. Granted not as often as autos but generally speaking, a new, reliable auto doesn't jam much either.

If you want to get a Glock for your first gun, go for it. They have higher capacity than revolvers (remember, J-frames only hold 5 rounds, not six), they are easier to reload than revolvers (at least without as much practice), and they are more concealable than revolvers (cause they're flat, and don't have a cylinder to bulge out).

Of course don't get me wrong, I love those little revo's. I am looking at buying a Taurus 605 2" in titanium in the near future and it will be carried as either a back up or shove in the pants gun (with a clipdraw). But I'm not carrying it because some said don't get a Glock, I'm carrying it because it's better in some situations than other guns. Just like if I can't wear a holster, I'll pack up my Kel-Tec P3AT in a pocket or ankle holster. Or if I need the absolutely thinnest handgun I own on me, my Sig P232 will be in it's Tuck This holster with a spare mag.

OK, now that that's out of the way, back to the original purpose of this thread. I carry because there are 17 page threads on why people carry. I don't go into what people would consider "hostile" environments but I do find myself doing unusual things like buying milk from the local quickie mart, or dropping off mail at the post office (I don't go in cause you aren't allowed to carry in there, like I care anyway, it's concealed right), or the always rare treat of driving to the city for whatever reason. And while none of these scenarios scream BRING A GUN (if they did, I'd bring a rifle), they are certainly all potentially situations in which I may find I need a gun. To all the people that witnessed or were involved in a bad situation, I sympathize, even though I myself have never been in one, I have had friends that were and let's just say, I never want to find out why I should have carried.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories too, I can imagine it takes a lot of courage and strength to come through a hairy mess but just know that your struggles are persuading alot of people to pick up arms legally in the first place, so they won't have to go through it too. I mean really you could say that you've not only saved your life, but anyone else's that has read this thread.

Shoot until they can't say stop. :devilish:
guru_I_aint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:05   #368
ForceRecon67

I decided to carry about 6 years ago, when out jogging in my relatively nice neighborhood I happened to make a turn to a large street. As I was jogging by the Post Office I witnessed a drive by across the street. The passenger in a beat up compact car with Mexico plates ( I live in Phoenix ) triggered off 5 shots into an apartment complex. As the vehicle turned to speed away, the passenger unloaded another 8 shots into the air. The car was headed East to the freeway onramp, and I was jogging East, so he had a great shot of me as he passed. Had I been unlucky, I wouldn't be writing this. Had he been unlucky, I would have been armed and he would have taken a shot at someone.
ForceRecon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 13:09   #369
Furyataurus

Send a message via AIM to Furyataurus
I decided to carry because it's up to me to defend myself and to be able to protect others who can't defend themselves as well. Its also about RESPONSIBILITY also, I know I'm responsible for everything that pistol does when its in my hands as well as the bullets that leave the barrel. I feel I'm responsible enough to carry.
Marlin 336C 30-30
Furyataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20   #370
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilotherm™

just wanted to share a wish i had my gun story,

I was out with a friend, driving around town, at around 12am.

i had just turned onto a small side street, when i saw somebody cross the street infront of me, i slowed down, and saw what looked like a staff in his hands... my friend was gawkign at him, thinking it was some kid that was mad at him, and didnt tell me to keep driving, so i continued to drive slowly for a few seconds. the guy(maybe 18years old) then grabbed thepassenger door, adn opened it. i then saw that it was a 10lb sledge hammer, not a staff.

he then asked where "sylvester"(have toclue who that is) was, and where he went etc. he reeked of cigar smoke, and alcohal. he may have been high of somethign as well.

beign in a stick situation i was kinda "tiptoeing" it was too late for me to just floor it, so i just "jumped to his side" and said somethign to the effect of "yeah, just up ahead, right past my high beams, went to the right! hurry!"
and then asked multiple times, if we could drive him up there, to find him, so i made an excuse about havign to go back the other way, "to pick of a friend, since sylvester owed him money" so i finally convinced the kid to move along. we then left.
earlyer in the day we had seen tons of cops around. now we couldnt find one. we didnt know the local police number, and weren't sure it would be ok to call 911 without an emediate emergency on hand.

so 45 mins passed without finding a cop anywhere, so we called it a night.
i still feel guilty that we didnt do more to have the kid caught.

i sure wished i would have been able to have my glock on the center console! but a feel i learned a little bit, in the valueble area of defusing a situation, even though at the time, he wasnt mad at my friend or i.
not to mention that driving around dark streets late at night isn't the most wise choice.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:12   #371
ssg_craven
Infidel

Send a message via Yahoo to ssg_craven
I decided to get my carry permit after returning from my second tour in Iraq. I had just developed a sense of security having a weapon on me 24/7 and felt naked without one. Now I never leave the house without one...of course Im usually stalking around the apartment with a pistol/rifle now too!
ssg_craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08   #372
whoflungdo

I got my CCW because: I worked late one night and our offices were in a bad part of town. A homeless guy came in, stole my jacket and tools and ran out. It happened so fast that we couldn't do anything. A coworker and I took off after him in my vehicle. It was legal to carry a loaded firearm in you car at that time. We caught up with the guy and got my tools back as he dropped them when he saw us. He took off again. I would not have shot at him unless I felt threatened. I left my firearm in the car as at the time I did not have a permit and would have been breaking the law by carrying outside my home, place of business, or motor vehicle. I didn't want to be in that situation again.

The biggest reason I still have my CCW is because I believe if we do not practice a right, it can and may be taken away from us. I also believe it is my responsibility to protect myself and my family to the best of my ability.
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 18:36   #373
joeslide

I got my CCW because my 70 year old father married a 34 year old METH addict/prostitute and moved 2 doors down. No joke.
joeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40   #374
Bigboss86

I live near a bad area, and drive down to miami for work. I can't have it on me at work, but if I need to stop at the gas station, its not the most friendly atmosphere. Lots of bums, some of them are unsteady so you never know what to expect.

"Would the boy you were be proud of the man you are?"
Bigboss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:48   #375
winchester62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Morgan View Post
Once my back went completely to hell, and I had to give up shoeing horses, I figured hand to hand fighting was out, so I finally got serious about handguns. I even did IDPA for a while, and my range sessions were generally about 500 rounds a week. (I reload) Surprisingly, my wife never griped too much about the money I spent on shooting. I guess, since I hardly ever go to the titty bar, she thinks we're saving money, now. She even started shooting a little, despite being severely cross dominant, having huge boobs, and short arms.
Hmmm. Any relationship between these two thoughts?

Anyway-

I grew up shooting/hunting and my dad nearly always carried. I never remember him ever "needing" it, but I always felt safer because of his snubby in his belt. I started carrying shortly after turning 21. I've never "needed" it so far either, but in the few situations my ccw could have become useful, I was able to extricate myself from the situation before it got bad. One was being cased for a robbery outside a covenience store out in the country in broad daylight. I was able to get in the car and leave before the guy got the jump on me.

The other time was when a guy came walking toward me at a stoplight near the gas station I just left. He threw a rock that hit my passenger window. When I looked to see what the noise was and noticed him, he was coming at me with his hand in his waistband! I don't know what his issue was or if he was bluffing with his hand, but I was drawing my weapon when thankfully the light changed and the cars I was boxed in by pulled away. Needless to say, since he was on foot and I was in the car, I just hauled tail with the rest of the traffic! Hopefully this trend will continue! I try to never go to unsafe areas and always watch my surroundings, but you never know...

Last edited by winchester62; 09-05-2008 at 19:26..
winchester62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 18:59   #376
Detectorist

I used to live in the St. Louis, MO area. Lived there for 17 years. During that period I had 6 friends murdered. 4 by gun fire. Any questions?

John
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 21:33   #377
rico6787

its a right i posses and if i have that right i will take advantage of it, plus i would rather be safe than sorry, i dont want to look back and say "if only i had a gun".......
rico6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 13:54   #378
Sam Haight
JARHEAD

Because I moved into a happy little place called Bridgeport, CT.
Sam Haight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 19:10   #379
Detectorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
What kind of friends were they? Not trying to be insulting, but I mean were they just average joe construction workers or lived in a bad part of town or what? That's insane!
I can understand your question.

Robin and Julie Kerry College students. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Gray Robin was a part-time server at Denny's. I used to give them a ride when it was snowing.

Joanne Lispcombe Police Officer. http://www.odmp.org/reflections.php?oid=165

Jennifer Dye - waitress. She lived behind my building. I heard her screams. Pretty young gal. She was a sweetie. Murdered by her husband.

Another friend was someone who played poker at my table. David Yang. We went out to a few bars and he never let me pay. He was known to carry lots of cash. Shot in his garage in a nice area. Nicest guy in the world.

Mike Tivoli. Mudered by his Uncle 3 days before graduating from college. One of my best friend's sons.

None of these were in the 'bad' part of town.

Last edited by Detectorist; 12-24-2008 at 15:48..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 19:54   #380
Wags_G19

Wow, I feel like I just read a novel.
I have been following this thread for the last week or so and finally got through all the threads...

Well, here is the reason I applied for my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc.) three weeks ago.

I am listing 3 recent incidences...and one from a few years back. I have had some more over the last 25 years, but lived in Illinois and Ohio where I couldn't carry. I now live in Georgia and can carry!

First incidence...
May 2008 - 2:30AM...I am home in bed...sound asleep. I live in a nice area in the burbs of ATL. I have a security system but do not always turn it on at night. Well, this night I had not turned it on. I am a pretty sound sleeper and have a hard time waking up to my alarm clock, but this night I woke up instantly to the entry beeps from my alarm system. (When window or door is open...the alarm key pad has two beeps). I thought at first I was dreaming, but then I heard them again. I was up instantly. I laid there a minute and looked at the key pad on the bedroom wall...the green light went off again. I should have just called 911, but I jumped out of bed and started yelling, "Who's there!" I started turning on lights inside and out...I then called 911 and they LEO's were here within about 5 minutes. They walked around my place and we found someone had cut my rear screen door and tried entering through the sliding glass door. The burglar bar stopped entry.

Second incidence...
June 2008 - I was at a red light at about 1:00AM in my new F150. Very few cars on the road...and a car pulls up next to me. (I am in the right lane) I glance over and see 3 people in the car staring at me. I immediately looked strait ahead as I didn't want to be "eye balling" these thugs. When the light turns green I start to drive down the road and the car stays at my side or a little behind me in the left lane. I am approaching the Interstate and turn on my turn signal. The car to the left of me speeds up and cuts in front of me to get on the on ramp. As we are heading down the on ramp, the car speeds up a head of me...as I reach a speed of about 45 MPH the car slams on his breaks and stops. I slam on my to avoid rear ending him and stop about 20 feet behind the car. There are curbs to my left and right and tall grass on the on ramp. Then the back seat passenger jumps out of the car...I see his eyes and the look in them and then I see the gun. My instincts kick in and I floor it to the left of the car...the guy with the gun was on the right side. I hop the curb and start driving through the grass to pass the car. I get back onto the on ramp and floored it...In my rear view mirror I see the guy get back into the car. I got up to about 110 MPH on the interstate and could see the head lights behind me...I was hoping to get stopped by a LEO at the time. I drove about 7 miles on a deserted Interstate and got off at my off ramp...the car never got off behind me. Needless to say this really go my attention. Even if I had my G19 with me at the time, I would have done the same thing driving away...but this situation made me think more about my personal safety.

Third incidence...
August 2008 - 9PM (just after dusk)...went into local gas station about 1 mile from my home to pick up a pack of smokes (I know bad habit). When leaving, I saw a guy quickly approaching me. I moved a little quicker and jumped into my truck. When trying to shut the door, a hand grabs the door to hold it open. I looked at the guy and said "what the F are you doing"...he responded...I have transmission problems and you are going to help me...I replied...the h*** I am and said if he wants to keep his fingers he better get his hand off my door and then began to slam my door...he let go at the last second and started cussing at me and spit on my window. I was furious...drove about a block away and called 911. I ended up meeting with the LEO's and they told me the guy was on probation and had a long wrap sheet.

Incidence about 5 years ago - My cousin and his family were attacked in a home invasion at 3AM in his home...My cousin had to have 45 stitches and his wife had over 100 stitches from a knife attacking home invader...the bad guy got away after the fight...thank goodness they were not killed. My cousin had a gun, but it was locked in a safe and could not access it during the attack.

So, with these three recent incidences in the last few months and my cousins home invasion from a few years ago, I decided it was time! I was encouraged big time by two of my good LEO friends. Hopefully I will receive my Lisc. in the coming weeks!

Wags_G19
Glock 19
NRA Member
GCO Member (Georgia Carry.Org)
Wags_G19 is offline   Reply With Quote