Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2008, 17:51   #321
lance22

No big, defining moment. But, all three of my older brothers had their permit so at my first opportunity I got mine. Works for me. I am not under any specific threats nor have I been directly touched by violent crime. But, I've had some worrisome moments and close calls and am glad that I now have something that could level the playing field somewhat.
lance22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 22:35   #322
BOM

When my daughter was born. I intend to insure she has a father, and i intend to insure she is safe. At any cost.
Old 06-26-2008, 13:16   #323
Travis Morgan

I got too damn old, fat, and crippled to protect my family with just my fists, and the courts keep allowing my repeat offender neighbor out of prison, no matter how many felonies he commits.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 15:14   #324
93GT
The Ogre

I was stationed in the state of Washington where concealed carry was legal when I turned 21 instead of Ohio, where my home of record is. My wife had already legally "owned" the pistol and a galco IWB for a year prior to my birthday, so that day I went down and applied for it.
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:07   #325
DeputyJ

After being sworn in as a deputy sheriff I made a conscious decision to carry everywhere I was legally able to do so. I carry my firearm off duty to protect my life, my family’s life and the lives of others. I never want to be in a position where I need a firearm and do not have one immediately available.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Stay Safe.
DeputyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 17:24   #326
chesterdawg

I'm 45 yrs old and like most of you am tired and fearfull of all the random acts of violence. You never know when some nutjob will decide to take out a group of innocents.
Home invasions! WTF
In my day you broke into a home when you knew nobody was home and no neighbors could see you.
Virgina Tech.
The church scene this past year where an angry ex? member came very armed and shot and killed some of the church goers. There was a lady (she may have worked for the church) was carrying and took him out. The members said that she saved many more lives.
I ride a motorcycle 20,000 miles/yr for fun and travel many states away solo for several days. I'm always out in the open and have been approached a few times by dirtbags, fortunately nothing happened (yet).
I have a wife and 2 small children.
Its always in the back(or front) of my mind that something crazy could happen at any instant.
I now have a 26 and 19 and will take safety classes. I'm shooting at the range alot and will do all I can to be prepared including getting my wife trained and kids when they are old enough.

Steve
chesterdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 15:07   #327
YellowTJ

Almost there

Nothing big has happened to me and this has been a slow progression but here goes.

I lived all over this USA as my dad was in the military. I've been/lived in good and not so good cities. None of them seem to be any different they all have the nightly news and they all have bad things to report.

Being a woman guns aren't talked about in our circles much. So for a long time I never knew the laws and that it was an option to carry a hand gun. However as I've gotten older (31 now) my partner and I have a nice home we just bought in TX, here guns ARE talked about. I have been in TX a year and love that you can talk and get answers from the common person about guns.

In short about 1.5yars ago in MO where we lived before, 2 men broke into our house and lucky for us they staid in the garage. They tore up my Jeep, took lots of tools, other stuff. I also in short thank powers that be we both staid asleep. Why? We had no way to defend ourselves. Had I woke up to them in the garage I can only imagine how scared I'd have been. Not having any way to deal with the situation except to call the police and wait. Wait for what would have been the question, them to come in? My mind dose wonder off to those what ifs once in awhile and have kept me up at night sometimes for the last year and a half.

So now what... I'm in a new state where it's not uncommon for people to have guns, to talk about them at work, I now know more and feel that a gun is a tool that you should own to assist in your own protection. Like any tool you have to learn to use it and to have it with you when the time is needed. Having a gun in my glove box when I'm leaving the mall will do me no good in the parking lot.

Also I've been doing some thinking now that I'm older and it seems like what a lot of men have said here. I have a nice home, a good partner of 10 years, I like my life and I like what we've built. Maybe when you get older something crosses over in you and you then know you have something to protect and that you can't wait on someone else to do it for you.

I just got a Glock 19 this past weekend. I have only shot a Glock 22 about 2 months ago. I have alot of range time ahead of me, I do plan to get the CHL class and paper work done this month so that when that card comes with my name on it I will be able to have one more way to be responsible for my life and the things in it.
YellowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:07   #328
eantonuccijr

What made YOU decide to CCW?

I did a ride along with the las vegas metro police dept. in january of '07, and in a matter of about 5 hours, we were called to "shots fired" calls, 3 times. that was when i bought my first gun. then, a few weeks later, i was watching the news. there was a robbery at a convenience store, 2 people went in with a rifle to the clerk's head. they told him to open the register and back up, he did what they said, and put his hands up. on their way out the door, the upstanding citizens with the rifle decided to shoot him in the back of the head for good measure. that was what made me decide to not ever trust someone with a gun pointed at me, and to trust my chances to my practice and skills with my firearm. a few weeks later, i completed my cwp class, and carry at all times(aside from at work, where it is prohibited.)

Last edited by eantonuccijr; 07-08-2008 at 06:10..
eantonuccijr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 21:58   #329
EAGLESFANPHILA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
This is the #1 reason why I carry.
EAGLESFANPHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:13   #330
Travis Morgan

I've always been a rifle guy, growing up in the country. When I married a woman in town, I got to thinking more about getting a handgun, since we live in the biggest city in the state, and crime is really getting out of hand here. I never really got around to buying a handgun, figuring I could take care of pretty much any threat on my own, long enough for her and the boy to get away. My wife never really liked guns, but I got her to shoot a coupla times.

Once my back went completely to hell, and I had to give up shoeing horses, I figured hand to hand fighting was out, so I finally got serious about handguns. I even did IDPA for a while, and my range sessions were generally about 500 rounds a week. (I reload) Surprisingly, my wife never griped too much about the money I spent on shooting. I guess, since I hardly ever go to the titty bar, she thinks we're saving money, now. She even started shooting a little, despite being severely cross dominant, having huge boobs, and short arms.

When I first started carrying a gun along when we'd go out, she didn't seem to care for it, but didn't dissent too much. Here the other day, a few years after I'd started carrying, we got into a situation that looked like it might get ugly, but turned out to be nothing. Later, she told me,"I started to panic, but I looked down and saw you had your gun". She also told me the reason she puts her purse in the back seat when I'm riding with her is so it won't get in my way, if I need my gun.

I'm glad my carrying makes her feel safer. That's worth quite a bit. We make an effort to avoid problem areas, but it comforts her to know that I'm armed and damn good with a gun. She even thinks it's cool that the guys at my local gun shop just tell me to go in the back room and get whatever I need, if I need something. The boy likes shooting, when I can drag him out to the range, but I don't know that I could count on either one of them to shoot when they need to. They'd probably start thinking about going to get a gun once it was too late to draw one.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23   #331
Jdog

was feeding our horses in a pasture we rent when some old neighbor fart thought we were tresspassing. It was almost dark and as he got closer he started yelling in a drunken voice and I noticed he had a hunting rifle. I asked him what the gun was for. He told me it was for me. half a second later he pointed it at me and ripped off a .270 round just past my left ear. I about messed my drawers, dropped my horse gear and took off toward the car half expecting the next round to go through my back. Police never did anything. (I always wonder which one of the nearby houses that .270 remington boat-tail round went through) Had i been a CCW holder at the time I'm afraid I would have shot that old drunken fart.

Last edited by Jdog; 07-09-2008 at 02:28..
Jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 20:13   #332
dogboy

Too many *****s breaking into peoples homes and carjackings at the time I decided to get a CCP. I was fed up as to the lack of response by our local gov't to fund for extra police staff.
dogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 17:33   #333
blwnv8

Don't want to be a victim. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
blwnv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 13:31   #334
Paul_J._Nolan

Excellent thread; I read all 16 pages last night and then joined your fine forum to add my experience.

I was reared in a very non-gun-friendly home. I served in a fighting unit in the Army, though, luckily, I was never subjected to combat. When I was discharged, I was firmly of the opinion that the next time I picked up a rifle would be when the rat bastards were coming ashore on the New Jersey beaches.

The years rolled by and I was protected by a young man's sense of invulnerability and high testosterone level. Of course, as time passed both of those things diminished. I love to read and it was my habit as I passed a magazine stand to occasionally pick up a magazine devoted to some topic to which I had no prior exposure--flying, scuba diving, model railroading, the Civil War, remodeling--just to gain a peek into a different part of life. It came to pass that one night I brought home a gun magazine. All men seem to be attracted to fine machinery, whether it is a watch, a fine bicycle, or a snub-nose revolver. I became more and more interested and more magazines, then books, were to be found on my coffee table. The inevitable decline continued...poring over Shotgun News, trips to gun shows, studying the display cases in the local gun shops. Eventually, I bought a .38 Taurus 85 in stainless steel. I would shoot at the local range; when I walked the dog at night I would slip it into my pocket. Later, I got my Concealed Weapons License, something that is very easy to do here in Washington State. That was some years ago and I now own several guns, carry always, and am a strong proponent of the Second Amendment.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_J._Nolan; 07-16-2008 at 09:39..
Old 07-15-2008, 15:05   #335
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Having spent most of my life in New Jersey I was never allowed to legally carry a concealed weapon. We moved to Pennsylvania during the Summer of 1997, and settled into the Pocono Mountains area. I had been shooting here for the previous 5 years and already belonged to two different local gun clubs. Of course I knew about Pennsylvania's right to carry; but, I dragged my feet and didn't apply for my CHL right away.

It turned out to be a mistake! Around Thanksgiving time my wife was baking cookies for the family and she ran out of milk around 9 o'clock at night. So we decided to run down to the local Mr. Z's Supermarket and pick up a few things. Now, I've carried a folding knife on my person for virtually my entire life - Even when I was a young boy, I always had a knife. (A habit instilled in me by one of my knifefighting expert Marine Corps uncles.)

We got to the store and parked in the middle of the lot; I went in with my wife and stayed with her while she shopped. I have trouble walking; and, even though my wife was almost finished with her shopping, I needed to go back to the truck to sit down. As I was walking back to our, then, brand new Blazer I suddenly heard very quiet footsteps coming up quickly behind me.

I didn't wait. I turned around to face whomever it was, and snapped my large Crawford-Kasper #6780 folder open while shielding my hand behind my leg. I didn't show the knife; but, in the still night air, the snap of that blade opening sounded, 'very metallic'! A swarthy cleanly dressed fellow, who looked very Italian to me, suddenly froze in mid stride. With both hands inside his pockets and one foot, literally, on tiptoe he stood there looking at me with a surprised blank expression on his face.

The hands in the pockets bothered me; so I decided to better my odds and bluff him out at the same time. I stepped into almost arm's length of him, continued to hide the open blade, and asked him what he wanted? All of a sudden he seemed to completely relax and blurted out; 'Are you Dominic?' I answered; 'No!' He kept looking me up and down, trying to see what I had behind my leg. (And, I knew what he thought I had behind my leg!)

I continued to stonewall him; and, he went into this adorable little parking lot clown routine! He finally started to backup, turned his back on me, and walked away waving his arms in the air while still insisting that I had to be, 'Dominic'. My wife came out of the store as he was finishing up his clown routine. When she walked up to me she saw the open knife in my hand and asked what was going on? I told her that I'd just missed being mugged; and we'd almost had our new truck stolen.

The next morning I made phone calls to several prominent members in one of my gun clubs and, then, went over to the Sheriff's Office to apply for my Pennsylvania CHL. From that day to this I have never gone outside in the Poconos without carrying, at least, one gun.

My wife has an even better tale to tell about, 'What' finally made her start to carry: She had her CHL for more than 5 years but never used it until one night, on the way home from the office, she stopped to mail a letter at the post office. She had parked in the rear lot; and, on her way back to the car, she (almost) lost another brand new vehicle to a couple of aggressive young gangbangers who attempted to jump her. (She did absolutely everything wrong - everything - but, with what had to be beginner's luck, she still managed to break away from them and locked herself inside the vehicle.)

Scared the living daylights out of herself, too! She got home late that night and walked through the front door with the comment; 'The spirit of my recently departed mother just saved my life!' I was posting right here, on GT, at the time. I stopped what I was doing, turned around, and asked; 'What did you just say?'

(After that event, she was finally ready to start carrying; but, she didn't like anything in the gun safe. She actually told me that one of my pistols made her look fat! About a week later, I bought her a nice slim custom-tuned Ruger SP-101 and began serious combat pistol and self-defense training with her.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 00:34   #336
Ryan759

re:

I got a CHL simply because it leaves less room for legal problems. In addition, it is nice to know you have something that shows you have a clean background.
Ryan759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:39   #337
Travis Morgan

Arc Angel,

Have you tried to get your wife involved in any of the NRA women on target events? Every woman I've talked to that's attended one has had a blast!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:46   #338
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You know, Travis, I never would have thought of that!

Quite honestly, once again, I'm beginning to be concerned about her personal safety. During the first year after the attack she took self-defense and combat pistol shooting very seriously - Even insisting that I take her to the range with me and keep on training her. (Which I did; and, she was really doing well for awhile there, too.)

However, in the ensuing two years, things have calmed down; and she has returned to being very lax about her personal security. I think I'm going to take your advice and look into some of the NRA's training programs for women - Something which I, myself, never would have thought of.

Thanks for the heads up!
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 00:01   #339
Travis Morgan

Arc Angel,

A point you ought to bring up to her is that if she's gonna be lax, it's time that she starts either leaving the gun at home, or in a lock box bolted to the floor in her car. Getting mugged would be bad, but being mugged and shot with your own gun because you armed the criminal would be a damn sight worse.
Old 07-18-2008, 22:15   #340
JeepGunR

I got my CHL (Texas) with my dad. The main reason I got it was so I could carry in my truck back and forth from Texas to Oklahoma, to and from the farm. I grew up around guns and have had a lot of them. I never really thought about keeping one on my person all of the time. Then recent events around the Dallas area, stories in the news, etc. Then I found out that I am going to be a dad. The weekend that my wife told me we were at the family farm and I had to run off a trespasser. Everything was a little different, this is something that I never gave a second thought to. Then I got to thinking about Tyler Durden's sig line. Why am I not carying my sidearm? I have the choice, I have the permit, I have the experience, I have the responsibility to myself and my family. I am now carying and plan to get a new Glock 27 next weekend to make it a little easier, I am 6' 2" and 165# so my Kimber 1911 is a little hard to conceal and I sold my G23 years ago when I was in a bind, and the Ruger stays in the truck at all times. Thanks Tyler!