Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-16-2007, 18:22   #181
JMG22

Basically, to have a real alternative as to being a victim or not. Do not take a knife to a gun fight.
JMG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:55   #182
mr00jimbo

Can't CCW here.
But if I could...the defining moment would have been...

I was about 19 at the time...
A woman my dad is currently about to marry and has loved for a while, when she was with her ex-husband he beat her severely. Her sons beat her too. And I think her daughter.
So my dad took her in.

Anyway ex-hubby didn't like that. Neither did abusive kids. So they started coming around. Yelling into the windows. Threatening to kill us, etc. Her ex-husband threatened to shoot my dad.

We called the po-lice. What did they say?
"Oh well...if someone threatens to kill you, they probably won't actually do it."
I am not making it up, I heard it with my own two ears.

It takes police 12 minutes or so to respond to the highest-priority call in my city. No lie.
But they were just bored with the story and my dad and his girlfriend all upset and shaken up.

I had people in my yard in the middle of the night who jumped the fence. The police didn't give a damn.

If the cops are not gonna protect me, my own police officer is my 870.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27   #183
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gviles View Post
I started to carry because a couple of years ago, I was hanging out talking to some friends in a parking lot late at night. We were approached my a couple of guys, all was fine until they both pulled out there pistols (.38 snubbies, I think). The made us line up and lay on the ground. In my mind it was going to be execution style. The guys hands were shaking so much, I thought we were going to get shot because of an AD. Long story short, they just wanted our cars. Luckily they did not take mine (they could not drive a manual transmission). Sucked to be the friends who had automatics.

Since then, my first wife was NOT for CCW. My new wife is all for it!!!! As a matter of fact she also has her CCW permit and carries a Beretta Tomcat. She thinks the Glock is to bulky for her. So, it took me awhile to get the CCW permit, but I have it now and I almost NEVER leave home without it.

Before I get hammered on this..........I was alot younger then and I realize now that I should NEVER have put myself in that position. There was no reason to be hanging out in a parking lot late at night. NOTHING good every comes from stuff like that!!! I am just glad I am here telling my story.
I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but in hindsight, if you were in that situation again, would you have obeyed? You were lucky, but in general the thought of just laying there and letting myself be executed ... just, no.
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09   #184
GLK38
ImRonBurgundy?

VERY long story short. Some psycho shot out my back window as I was driving 70 mph on a highway. Recently turned 21 I was convinced to get my CCW before that but the shooting kinda gave me a kick in the arse to get it. That was 5 months ago.

~Winston Churchill
GLK38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 18:14   #185
The Godfather
The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
I don't know if you're still reading this thread, but in hindsight, if you were in that situation again, would you have obeyed? You were lucky, but in general the thought of just laying there and letting myself be executed ... just, no.
Unfortunately, I do not know if I would of complied. Looking back on it, everytime I got a chance to look up, they were VERY pre-occupied with trying to get my car started. I would of had plenty of chances to "Draw" down on them. Hindsight tells me that I probably would not of complied and all HELL would of broken loose, because it was found out later that there were 5 other guys watching from the other side of the fench (probably armed as well) In reality, I am glad that everything worked out.
The Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 20:16   #186
CTW
Got Beer?

It was 14 years ago and I was standing in a friends front yard at about 10 PM one night chatting with a couple friends. We were just standing out there smoking a cigarette when a neighbor of his came down the road in a very nice camaro, so obviously we were checking out his car as any 20 year old kid would have done. So this guy pulls into the house about 5 houses down and gets out of his car and just stares at us for a couple of minutes like we had done something wrong to him and he was obviously very drunk. Finally he went in his house and we thought that was the end of it. about five minutes later he came walking down the sidewalk toward us with a pint of whiskey in his hand. When he walked up he was just talking to us and drinking the whiskey. This guy was really loaded. My one friend decided to leave and as he was pulling out of the driveway this guy pulled a S&W 10mm auto out of his waistband. My buddy drove away and I was not sure if he saw it or not. So about this time myself and my other buddy went to go inside and that is when he totally changed. He would not let us leave and he kept pointing his pistol at us threatening us and taunting us saying if I didnt have this you guys would kick my ass huh! Well at the time we were all 19 and 20 year old kids so none of us had a cell phone and it turned out my friend that left did see what happened and drove straight to the local police station which was about 10 blocks away. After about 40 minutes of being with this guy and not sure what to do we saw our friends car pull up down the road and a police car pull in behind it with their lights off. This idiot was getting crazier each time he took a swig from his bottle, he had almost finished a pint just standing there with us. I was hoping that the bad guy would not see it but he did and got real scared. He went and hid his pistol in the bushes and me and my buddy were getting ready to tear him apart when black clad figures started coming out of back yards all around us. They put us all on the ground until sorting it out. As soon as they let us up I showed one of the officers where the pistol was hidden. He picked it up, dropped the mag out, racked the slide and a hollowpoint came out of the chamber. That is when I asked him what caliber it was and he showed it to me. Any how the neighbor was charged with a concealed weapon charge and I think agg assault with a firearm, we had to all go down to the police station and make statements they recorded to use in court. Ever since that when I turned 21 I obtained a CWP and carried a weapon, it was a real eye opener.
Florida glockers#1686,Kalshnikov Klub#1567,Black Rifle#1567,SKS Carabiners#1567
CTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 20:25   #187
TacticalRecon

Send a message via AIM to TacticalRecon
CTW: What caliber do you carry now because of that experience? 9mm, .45 or 10mm?
TacticalRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 20:42   #188
CTW
Got Beer?

I carry a .40 glock 23 most of the time because the Sheriffs office I work for uses them and if I carry a dep approved weapon off duty they tend to like it better. In the summer here though I carry a 9mm pocket pistol alot of times, but am not sold on its reliability yet. I will see when it comes back from kel-tec from getting warranty work done. If I am not satisfied I am replacing it with a S&W .38 airweight. I used to carry a .45 at one time, it was a S&W 457 and I regret getting rid of it
Florida glockers#1686,Kalshnikov Klub#1567,Black Rifle#1567,SKS Carabiners#1567
CTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 00:33   #189
GlockRules

Living in Memphis,TN
GlockRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 13:31   #190
USAret

There was no "Defining Moment" for me. I don't remember a time when I didn't know how to ride a horse or shoot a rifle and pistol (my mother has pics of me riding pretty much the day I started walking).

Until I left Montana I never thought the question would come up, never thought it WAS a QUESTION.

Then I joined Uncle Samís Big Green Gun Club. What a non-firearms friendly organization that is. First place I got stationed I learned I needed to be 21 to have a Pistol AND couldnít carry it anywhere when I did turn 21. Iíve been to lots of places where I was told my guns were NOT WELCOME. Once I was in a unit that the Commander requested a LIST of all people who owned a POF (Personally Owned Firearm). Luckily I was the Training SGT of that unit and somehow my name didnít make it on the list, despite my CCW in my wallet for that particular state. Since I spent so much time in places where I just plain couldnít take ANY firearm. Places where I spent a whole day filling out paperwork and going through government inspections OF my Firearms, and was then told I had to keep them locked up in an approved container. I got a real liking for the 2nd Amendment. Some would say I actually cherish this Constitutional Right.

Now that I am retired from that career I donít go anywhere where my CCW is not accepted (except of course the local Army Hospital, and VA Hospital). My policy is simple. With the before noted exceptions (and I will be glad when SCOTUS throws them and their laws and regulations out).

I do not carry (my wallet) any place where I cannot carry (my handguns).
Instructor
Retired
Student
USAret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 15:18   #191
F350

I was 16 and a buddy and I were swimming in some old quarries after strinning fence for his dad one summer, there were 3 couples already there (suits not required in the late 60s & early 70's). 3 rednecks with a single shot 12 ga showed up and harrased us for about 45 min, made the girls do jumping jacks etc, butt stroked one of the boy friends when he objected. They finnally got scared off when they thought they heard someone coming.

I swore that day no man would ever lord over me like that again, next pay day my buddy and I each bought M-1 carbines and carried them every time we went to the quarries. Fortuanatly we never enountered our "friends" again.

I applied for my CCW the day I turned 21, and was pissed to find out that in Indiana I could have gotten it at 18. I have carried almost every day since (30+ years) and have had a couple occasions to show I was armed.

With all the crazyness going on today I NEVER leave home unarmedand do not spend any $$$$ with places that post.
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 15:35   #192
Oneiros

I broke down in the bad part of town one time, and some very suspicious characters were taking a keen interest in my situation. I only had a knife on me. I decided from then out I never wanted to be in a situation where a group of thugs had the upper hand over me because I wasn't armed.

I was also followed around once by a blazer packed with guys who were out for blood, for some reason or other over a girl. I had never met any of them before. I drove to the police station as I was running out of gas and I told the person at the window what was going on, and that the guys were parked on the street waiting for me, and they would do nothing, not so much as telling them to shoo. So I just waited in the PD, waited and waited, and finally they left. I went to get gas, didn't see them again, and decided again that I would never be underarmed. Made a point to have a gun on me somehow even though I wasn't of legal age to carry from then on. I didn't break the law, but I had a trunk gun until I could get my concealed carry license. Now I make a habit to carry enough ammunition to handle groups of people like the ones that threatened me before.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 18:05   #193
Yellowfin

For me, it was getting engaged. Virginia Tech incident got my attention, then my soon-to-be wife moving out to CA brought it even more to my attention. I got her a rifle to keep under the bed at home, then several times she would call me telling me she didn't want to go out at night. It occurred to me that I'm not always going to be at home, and neither I nor us, especially in the future with a family, should be anything less than prepared. The thing about getting married and being more responsible really spoke loud and clear to me that CCW is an essential part of it as being protector of the spouse (though she'll get hers as soon as she's out of the PRK) and family as well as being a responsible citizen.
Yellowfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 18:44   #194
Oneiros

it's not as impossible getting a chl in cali as many people think. have you looked into it? Most counties there are effectively shall issue.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 20:23   #195
saunderscc
US NAVY CHIEF

For me it was camping in a state park here in VA early in the year and there was no one there except for me and my girlfriend. Had someone(s) walked up on us there is nothing we could have done. That is what urged me to buy my G26. The CCW was to provide more options in carrying it.
saunderscc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 20:42   #196
jwerges

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnight View Post

A few weeks ago, I was coming home from work it was kinda late, I realized I needed gas, so I stopped at the local gas station, Generally I am pretty careful about where and when I stop for gas, I knew it was late, but I figured the neighborhood was ok.
While filling up, I noticed two guys circling my truck, both guys were fairly big guys, about young 20's, looking all gansta like..
I noticed this right away...I found it odd the would walk around the truck, looking in the windows on the passenger doors, walking back around me...then stopping in front of me about 25 ft or so, one guy maked as if he is going in to the store, he enters, then comes out the other door, at this time, the guy who was outside still, makes his way closer, and the other guy flanks me...All of this was taking place rather quickly, In less time it takes to put 15 gallons of gas in the truck.. these guys cased me, and started to make a move.
It was at this time, I went from concealed carry to Open Carry...
I made it no secert at this time I was armed.
Being a Little guy, with a full size 45....must have looked like a Cannon to them, becuase once he saw it, his eyes got huge, then he backed off, signaling to his friend to move away.

I was pretty wired after that, my heart was racing, like I just got a shot of adrenaline...
I have no doubt... That my carring is prevented me from being a statistic.

Now I carry every where I go...I figure it will be some crap luck, I will relax once, and not carry, and it will be a time where I wished I did.
Awesome situational awareness (and your .45) probably saved your life.
jwerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 18:09   #197
patmcf79

I am headed to the court house on Monday to apply for my CCW. I don't know why I have waited so long. Looking back I have always put myself in situations where if I needed help in a hostile situation there would be no one around to help. Over the summer I was biking in Arlington VA to Mount Vernon and of all places almost got mugged in Old Town Alexandria. I had a guy run up behind me while I was on my bike and try to take me down with a metal pipe. Fortunately I hear him coming by his feet hitting the pavement and looked behind me to see the pipe over his head getting ready to strike. I pumped outta there and out ran him. I got a few blocks away and called the cops. Being a concerned citizen I waited for the cops, saw a cruiser 3 blocks away with its lights on. Hopped on my bike and headed toward the cruiser. upon entering one of the intersections between me and the cop the BG appeared and started chasing me again. I turned and again in the opposite direction. This time he really chased me on foot. Far enough to where any police were now out of site. I would have kept going until I saw a lady on the bike trail walking her dogs. I stopped to look out for this lady and warn her and by this time he was about 20 yards away. I about 6' 200lbs and when i got off my bike and picked it up to show that my bike was a bigger weapon than his metal pipe I guess he changed his mind and walked back to town. All in all I look back and realize it could have been far worse if I had not had a bike or he had a gun. Theres a lot more to this story but you can bet for now on when mountain biking or where ever allowed I will be carrying.
patmcf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 13:37   #198
alex_velociti
Pork Chop

Simply enough: i just live in a ****ed up area with a bunch of unpredictable people....
Old 01-12-2008, 14:11   #199
alphajaguars

Had a girlfriend whose ex-boyfriend was a local gang member. We broke up, and she went back to him. Next thing I know, I am being told that I won't know where, when, or who, but I am going to get beat down soon. Called the local cops who said they couldn't do anything. I didn't make a move without being legally armed for quite awhile after that.

Still didn't get my CCW for another 6 years. Of course, 4 of those years were spent in MD.

everything else is just support

Carolina Glocker #69
alphajaguars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 14:34   #200
Chad Landry
Cajunatorģ

It was never a question of whether I should or not. My grandparents carried, my parents carry, it's a "family tradition".

There have been some very close calls in my family, over the years. I've typed them all out before. When next I take the time to type them, I'll save them to a file, as this question has come up numerous times in the past, and will be revisited again in the future.
Outpost Mod #69
Chad Landry is offline   Reply With Quote