GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 20:20   #226
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,553
Blog Entries: 64
Brought back for new members to post...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 01-31-2008 at 21:24..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 22:23   #227
ChukGlk19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13
Why CCW

I was actually robbed and then had a guy get of his car in traffic and try to beat me with it. I had had enough. I bought a Glock 19 and took the CCW.
ChukGlk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25   #228
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner
 
Glock1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside your head
Posts: 758
I don't know...

I like the idea of being able to legally carry for protection, but to me this is a form of registration, which I oppose.
I'm disabled and know that I could be an easy target for those who would do me and my loved ones harm. Perhaps I'm being delusional in fearing CCW as a form of registration. Perhaps those that would take my guns already know what kind and how many I already have, and not getting a CCW because of my resistance to a form of registration is futile.
My wife thinks that my acquisition of firearms and ammo is not warranted because we live in a rural area that is relatively devoid of crime. I disagree and will continue to acquire, possess and practice with those firearms that I own and those that I will acquire in the future for as long as I am able.
I live in a state where it is legal to "open carry" and legal to carry concealed with the ammo (mag or speed loader) removed and in separate pocket(better than a rock or knife). I've legally packed a gun for years. CCW? I don't know.

Last edited by Glock1911; 02-02-2008 at 13:14..
Glock1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 13:29   #229
Oneiros
Senior Member
 
Oneiros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock1911 View Post
I like the idea of being able to legally carry for protection, but to me this is a form of registration, which I oppose.
I'm disabled and know that I could be an easy target for those who would do me and my loved ones harm. Perhaps I'm being delusional in fearing CCW as a form of registration. Perhaps those that would take my guns already know what kind and how many I already have, and not getting a CCW because of my resistance to a form of registration is futile.
My wife thinks that my acquisition of firearms and ammo is not warranted because we live in a rural area that is relatively devoid of crime. I disagree and will continue to acquire, possess and practice with those firearms that I own and those that I will acquire in the future for as long as I am able.
I live in a state where it is legal to "open carry" and legal to carry concealed with the ammo (mag or speed loader) removed and in separate pocket(better than a rock or knife). I've legally packed a gun for years. CCW? I don't know.
If they come to take your guns because of the "registration" you filled out, it's time to use them. Until then there's no reason to irrationally fear the government, that they'll take your guns.

Until then, at least.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 15:00   #230
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner
 
Glock1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside your head
Posts: 758
I don't consider a fear of the government to be irrational.
Glock1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 15:04   #231
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,553
Blog Entries: 64
This isn't the forum, and definitely not the thread to discuss the rationality of government firearms registration.

Thanks

RussP
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 20:42   #232
Glock1911
Jackson Wagoner
 
Glock1911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Inside your head
Posts: 758
My sincere apologies.
Glock1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 22:41   #233
TuppyFinn
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 50
About 15 years ago I got into a confrontation with someone who, I have reason to believe, was a cocaine addict. I decided to start carrying a .32 in my back pocket and a .45 in a range bag.

About five years ago, I was paying a cashier at a convenience store and she asked me for help. She thought the only other patron was going to rob her, and I have to admit she had good reason for believing this. I didn't think my .32 was up to the challenge so I told her I'd be right back. Sounds like Arnold doesn't it? Anyway it took a couple of minutes for me to get my .45 and holster. When I returned to the store the presumed BG had left. Since then I decided to carry something more powerful.

Last edited by TuppyFinn; 02-05-2008 at 12:08..
TuppyFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 14:56   #234
Torontogunguy
Senior Member
 
Torontogunguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto/Buffalo/Florida
Posts: 656


Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I decided to carry when I finally accepted that society is going in the wrong direction and i learned that it really doesn't matter who is pretending to run the country. When the SHTF in the next few years after the economy collapses and the NAU comes online I decided I better be prepared.

In PA it's a no-brainer. Walked into the Sheriff's office. Put down $46 and within 1/2 hour was walking out with my laminated CCW.
Laminated? Laminated?!!?
All I got from PA was a small piece of paper with my photograph scotch taped to it and my particulars on it. Looks more like a coat check stub than anything else. Guess they are laminating them now... mine is about a year old and I love PA and its AG... a guy with bazongas. Still, Phily can be some scarey place especially after dark.

All I want for Christmas now is a nationwide recognized reciprocity law. You got a PA CCW license? Good in ALL states of the union, like your driver's license. Make sense?

And to the fellow posting about the .32? First, I would be very careful about getting in the way of someone who might be having a domestic and I would be very careful about "brandishing". However, you have the right idea about guns for self defense... come big or don't come at all. I carry 9mm at a bare minimum but much prefer to carry a .45 with at least 8 - 10 rounds of fast, light JHP. And the fact is that I do unless circumstances dictate otherwise... it depends on my dress code for the moment; my cover garment really dictates what I carry. If I am wearing a jacket I will be carrying a .45 for sure. Otherwise it's a 9mm with Gold Dots or Federal Hydra Shock Law Enforcement Self Defense whatever. The best possible tools for the job always. And leave the policing to the police if possible.... it is a tough call but training is a big help. Plenty of training. Don't get yourself in the middle of something that is not what you think it is.... and if you do happen to get yourself in the middle of something, be trained. At the very least do you know the best ways to avoid taking a hit yourself? Always move sideways if possible. Always increase distance if possible. Always play for cover if possible. The BG's plans get all messed up. Just don't let a lucky shot take off the top of your head like my friend's dad did some 45 years ago by a prominent local bandit. He had the drop on the BG but was a nice guy and hollered something at him... like "stop or I'll shoot". The BG swung around, shooting from the hip and planted a big one right between his eyes taking the top of his skull right off. It landed two stories up on the balcony of an apartment building that ANOTHER friend lived in. You cannot make sXXt like this up. I was about ten years old at the time. I was playing in the park across the street when it all took place in an otherwise quiet uneventful neighborhood. There has not been a shooting in the neighborhood since with the exception of a fellow who shot his wife in a domestic about 30 years ago. Nuff said here. Sorry to babble along. Mr. Blanc, BTW, did not carry a gun. He was in the bank manager's office and bank managers at that time all had revolvers .38/.357's. He didn't stand a chance at that range. The "Beatle Bandit" was using a sawed off something.
__________________
Life Member NRA
Life Member CSSA
Families that shoot together; stay together!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 14:58   #235
Torontogunguy
Senior Member
 
Torontogunguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto/Buffalo/Florida
Posts: 656


Quote:
Originally Posted by TuppyFinn View Post
About 15 years ago I got into a confrontation with someone, whom I have reason to believe, was a cocaine addict. I decided to start carrying a .32 in my back pocket and a .45 in a range bag.

About five years ago, I was paying a cashier at a convenience store and she asked me for help. She thought the only other patron was going to rob her, and I have to admit she had good reason for believing this. I didn't think my .32 was up to the challenge so I told her I'd be right back. Sounds like Arnold doesn't it? Anyway it took a couple of minutes for me to get my .45 and holster. When I returned to the store the presumed BG had left. Since then I decided to carry something more powerful.
.32's are now prohibited weapons in Canada. Too many guys getting shot full of holes while trying to stop BGs? Nope. The government just decided they were bad guns.... now they are registering all firearms in the country. Wonder what could be next? England. Australia. So glad I am Yankee and 4-5 years from retirement back to the south. \

SAVE YOUR DIXIE CUPS FOR THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!
__________________
Life Member NRA
Life Member CSSA
Families that shoot together; stay together!
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 20:33   #236
b_vanfossen
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32
Growing up my mother went through many hard times that remind me to carry.

She was held hostage by two armed robbers in Kmart.

My parents owned a small business here in sunny S. Florida that was robbed three times. She was robbed by gun point twice and once beaten with a metal bar.

My parents home had been robbed 4 times. 3 times in one location (one time we came home in the act and she restled with one of the three robbers trying to escape) and 1 time in another home years later where they pepper sprayed the trained dog in the house.

I also remember reading somewhere that pointed out that on the news you never hear the crimes police prevented. Instead every night you hear about all the crimes that have happened throught day.

Be safe
b_vanfossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 21:35   #237
lastevolution
"Senior" Member
 
lastevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,864
I'm not stupid. I can see what happens out in the world. Do no want to be a victim.
__________________
"Putting all of these textual elements together, we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation." - USSC Justice Antonin Scalia
lastevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 14:12   #238
I Scuba 2
Senior Member
 
I Scuba 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 344
I decided to carry because of all your stories of being robbed, mugged, almost rapped (or seeing someone almost rapped) and I decided that I don't want a story like that to convince myself or others to carry. You all are not that different from me.
__________________
"Throw yourself on the mercy of God -- do what you think is right and follow through."
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer
I Scuba 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 13:55   #239
Piolin
DIRTY KUFFAR
 
Piolin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockanatorrrrr View Post
Actually that is the best idea. This way the shattering of the glass won't be as bad.

never mind...
__________________
If you're gonna burn our flag make sure you wrap yourself in it first! I'm no pro-gun..I'm pro-Constitution

Liberalism is the quest for a life without guilt and conservatism is the quest for a life without fear. We all act accordingly. Pro Deo Et Patria.

Last edited by Piolin; 02-10-2008 at 16:44..
Piolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 15:46   #240
Oneiros
Senior Member
 
Oneiros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
Well, think again, you can put your handgun out of battery...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe they don't know if your slide or barrel gets pressed backwards a bit, your gun no boom.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:01   #241
Gimp
Old Coot
 
Gimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 1,889
I made the conscious decision to get a CCW permit when I rode to the feed&grain on the outskirts of town (wearing, as usual in the saddle, my New Vaquero .357) and I opened my duster to get to my wallet ... in front of an off-duty cop.

I was lucky (this was prior to my lawsuit against the local law-dogs) and only got a butt-chewing and a business card for a local CCW instructor.
__________________
Like Zaphod Beeblebrox, I'm "just this guy, you know?" ...but I never thought my neighbor had to live next door. I'll watch your back if I see you need it, and won't ask you nothin' in return.
Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 21:19   #242
bamarammin87
h8tr
 
bamarammin87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chihuahuan Desert, TX
Posts: 4,778
Tonight at midnite I turn 21. I will be going to get mine at 8a.m. when the doors open because I CAN. I've had some pretty close calls, having had friends that lived in the worse (not just the bad part,even worse) part of town, and looking down the barrel of a gun and feeling helpless is not something I want to go through again. I now have a fiance' and am getting married this august, and it will be MY responsibility to protect her. I would die if something happened to her, and I'm going to carry 24/7 to do everything in my ability to stop something from happening. and it also helps that I've had handguns for a couple years, and it sucks not being able to carry them concealed. After VA tech and all the other recent shootings, I decided that I will carry all the time, not just a couple nights a week when I go out. I've loved guns since I was young, love shooting them, love hunting with them, just fascinated by them. Even if I had none of the previous reasons, I would get it because I'm an American citizen, and I can. I won't be a victim. Neither will my family if I can help it.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 21:21   #243
bamarammin87
h8tr
 
bamarammin87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chihuahuan Desert, TX
Posts: 4,778
And after joining GT last year, reading stories on here every day, it just made me more anxious to get my permit.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 23:34   #244
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member
 
GPalmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,023
I lost some weight and thought the in waistband holster would let me extend the life of my pants...


















GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 22:12   #245
bamarammin87
h8tr
 
bamarammin87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chihuahuan Desert, TX
Posts: 4,778
haha
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 18:37   #246
rj112275
NRA Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 246
What made me decide????

I moved to Memphis, Tennessee. Consistently one of the top 10 most violent cities in the U.S.
rj112275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 21:15   #247
JDSTG58
Senior Member
 
JDSTG58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USSA
Posts: 1,220
It was never a thought for me. I grew up with guns. My dad had a good size collection. He bought me a .22 when I was 6, ( I could only use it with him). By the time I was 16 I was into hunting and had a few rifles and shotguns. Both my parents had carry permits, so it was just a fact that I would get a permit when I was 18. Ive carried for almost 20 years now. Im sorry to read so many of you have had to face such defining moments.... Stay safe all.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 16:36   #248
Armed Infidel
~ Old Warrior ~
 
Armed Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: N. Nevada
Posts: 1,889


For me it was that the law finally allowed it in my state.
__________________
ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!
Armed Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 23:50   #249
desertrat423
Member
 
desertrat423's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: las vegas
Posts: 59
i have collected 11 pistols over the last 8 years and never gave a thought to getting a ccw. that was until about 3 weeks ago when my son was born. just took the ccw class today and will be heading down to the local pd to turn in the paper work tommorrow.

for some reason i never thought much about my safety but protecting my new family is now on the top of my list
desertrat423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 19:50   #250
Alpine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,840
No particular reason other than desire to keep living. I take responsibility for my own personal safety and firearms have a place in that.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:01.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,419
422 Members
997 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42