Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33   #1
RussP

Flood of lawsuits over concealed carry denials

"Review board has denied more than 800 applications in secret and without explanation"
Quote:
Flood of lawsuits over concealed carry denials
Quote:
After taking a firearms training course, paying a host of fees, and submitting fingerprints for a background check that he ultimately passed, Michael Thomas was puzzled when he was notified earlier this year that a special review board had denied his application for a concealed carry license.

Thomas, a former Air Force reservist who said he routinely carried a gun during military service and has never had a run-in with the law, is one of more than 800 people who have been denied licenses by the board, which meets behind closed doors and keeps its records and reasoning secret, even from applicants who are denied.

Figuring that his was a case of mistaken identity, Thomas wrote to the Illinois State Police to request a review of the decision.

"I have never been arrested or convicted of any offense, either misdemeanor or felony, in the state of Illinois or any other state," Thomas said in his letter. "I have no criminal record of any type."

But the state police, in a letter responding to his appeal request, didn't say why he was denied, and told him that the board's decisions couldn't be reviewed and that he would have to petition a court in order to appeal.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42   #2
unit1069

It's Illinois, the state totally controlled by Chicago's Stalinist Democrat Party.

Last edited by unit1069; 07-10-2014 at 10:42..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01   #3
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

so Illinois is not shall issue after all.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:04   #4
itstime

Interesting. How many permits are they actually issuing?
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11   #5
ranger1968

If they are denying permits based on some secret formula decided by some review board rather than on quantified disqualifiers (felony convictions, improper documentation, etc) how can it be "shall issue" ?

I think they are going to lose this one, in a big way if their actual practices and the workings of them (these "secret" proceedings where the permits are denied) ever see the light of day.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

Here we go again. Have to go to courts to plead for the Constitutional right.

Law makers do not like the Constitution. Wish we could get more freedom loving voters in this country.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32   #7
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Here we go again. Have to go to courts to plead for the Constitutional right.

Law makers do not like the Constitution. Wish we could get more freedom loving voters in this country.
well, we are getting more free-loading voters in this country as of late.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:34   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Fits right in to the agenda:

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.” Bill Clinton, 1993-08-12

“The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights.” Bill Clinton, (MTV, 1992 or 1993?)

We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime.” Mary Ann Carlson, State Senator (VT)

“Yes, I'm denying you your rights.” Tom Bradley, on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally. Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, L.A. Mayor, 1992-09-04

“Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.” Heinrich Himmler

This is long, but prophetic:

“Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the Unisted States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic -- purely symbolic -- move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.” Charles Krauthammer, Disarm the Citizenry, But Not Yet Washington Post, p. A19, 1996-04-05

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:44   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Fits right in to the agenda:

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.” Bill Clinton, 1993-08-12

“The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights.” Bill Clinton, (MTV, 1992 or 1993?)

We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime.” Mary Ann Carlson, State Senator (VT)

“Yes, I'm denying you your rights.” Tom Bradley, on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally. Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, L.A. Mayor, 1992-09-04

“Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.” Heinrich Himmler

This is long, but prophetic:

“Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the Unisted States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic -- purely symbolic -- move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.” Charles Krauthammer, Disarm the Citizenry, But Not Yet Washington Post, p. A19, 1996-04-05

janice6, me thinkum you are old pale face, but me thinkum you speakum lot of truth.

Old 07-10-2014, 13:44   #10
Glolt20-91

It's difficult for someone from a "Freedom" state to comprehend the oppression others are experiencing under the cloak of law.

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:46   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

The problem isn't the laws. The problem is who is making the laws and for what purpose.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:17   #12
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

I hope someone will take this denial to court.....gawd...I feel for those comrades in IL.

janice6.....we are on the same page; but with respect, in this case, you are right in the problem is 'WHO' is making the laws; but allow me to add, it is also 'WHO' is interpreting/administering them.

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:24   #13
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
I hope someone will take this denial to court.....gawd...I feel for those comrades in IL.

janice6.....we are on the same page; but with respect, in this case, you are right in the problem is 'WHO' is making the laws; but allow me to add, it is also 'WHO' is interpreting/administering them.

red
and dont' forget... "WHO is voting these criminals into office???"
Old 07-10-2014, 14:38   #14
05shadow

Im in IL. Did my application on 9th of June. Ive been hearing of some people that were denied so Ive been checking the status of mine on ISP website and as of today(31 days after I submitted my app) its still showing as UNDER REVIEW...So I guess its a good sign.
05shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:43   #15
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
You got that right!!

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:55   #16
oldman11

There should be a flood of lawsuits over this.
Old 07-10-2014, 15:18   #17
wjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
There should be a flood of lawsuits over this.
One big class action suit for a Billion dollars. . .

The guy in the photos is black. Wouldn't it be interesting if all/most of the denied permits were for minority applicants. .

I love how the board thinks that it is OK to keep their discussions and reasons for denial secret. . . Bastards. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 16:46   #18
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Interesting. How many permits are they actually issuing?
Somebody got one. There was a shooting by a CCW holder over the weekend in Chicago.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 17:48   #19
Steve83
Bronco guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Bingo! Another way of saying it is: who is putting up with their elected officials erasing their rights?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46   #20
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
One big class action suit for a Billion dollars. . .
Really? So you right the wrong by making the taxpayers pay the lawsuit.

If there's logic here, I'm missing it...

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

Last edited by uhlawpup; 07-11-2014 at 09:47..
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote