GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:33   #1
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 44,168
Blog Entries: 64
Flood of lawsuits over concealed carry denials

"Review board has denied more than 800 applications in secret and without explanation"
Quote:
Flood of lawsuits over concealed carry denials
Quote:
After taking a firearms training course, paying a host of fees, and submitting fingerprints for a background check that he ultimately passed, Michael Thomas was puzzled when he was notified earlier this year that a special review board had denied his application for a concealed carry license.

Thomas, a former Air Force reservist who said he routinely carried a gun during military service and has never had a run-in with the law, is one of more than 800 people who have been denied licenses by the board, which meets behind closed doors and keeps its records and reasoning secret, even from applicants who are denied.

Figuring that his was a case of mistaken identity, Thomas wrote to the Illinois State Police to request a review of the decision.

"I have never been arrested or convicted of any offense, either misdemeanor or felony, in the state of Illinois or any other state," Thomas said in his letter. "I have no criminal record of any type."

But the state police, in a letter responding to his appeal request, didn't say why he was denied, and told him that the board's decisions couldn't be reviewed and that he would have to petition a court in order to appeal.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42   #2
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,607
It's Illinois, the state totally controlled by Chicago's Stalinist Democrat Party.
__________________
Rocket Scientist

Last edited by unit1069; 07-10-2014 at 10:42..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01   #3
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,360
so Illinois is not shall issue after all.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:04   #4
itstime
Senior Member
 
itstime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 7,020
Interesting. How many permits are they actually issuing?
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11   #5
ranger1968
Senior Member
 
ranger1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,277
If they are denying permits based on some secret formula decided by some review board rather than on quantified disqualifiers (felony convictions, improper documentation, etc) how can it be "shall issue" ?

I think they are going to lose this one, in a big way if their actual practices and the workings of them (these "secret" proceedings where the permits are denied) ever see the light of day.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:17   #6
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 19,481
Here we go again. Have to go to courts to plead for the Constitutional right.

Law makers do not like the Constitution. Wish we could get more freedom loving voters in this country.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32   #7
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Here we go again. Have to go to courts to plead for the Constitutional right.

Law makers do not like the Constitution. Wish we could get more freedom loving voters in this country.
well, we are getting more free-loading voters in this country as of late.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:34   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 18,780


Fits right in to the agenda:

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.” Bill Clinton, 1993-08-12

“The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights.” Bill Clinton, (MTV, 1992 or 1993?)

We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime.” Mary Ann Carlson, State Senator (VT)

“Yes, I'm denying you your rights.” Tom Bradley, on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally. Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, L.A. Mayor, 1992-09-04

“Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.” Heinrich Himmler

This is long, but prophetic:




“Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the Unisted States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic -- purely symbolic -- move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.” Charles Krauthammer, Disarm the Citizenry, But Not Yet Washington Post, p. A19, 1996-04-05










__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:44   #9
cowboywannabe
you savvy?
 
cowboywannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: on a planet near you
Posts: 21,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Fits right in to the agenda:

“If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees.” Bill Clinton, 1993-08-12

“The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights.” Bill Clinton, (MTV, 1992 or 1993?)

We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime.” Mary Ann Carlson, State Senator (VT)

“Yes, I'm denying you your rights.” Tom Bradley, on constitutional rights at a "Save the Brady Bill" rally. Steve Comus, Western Outdoor News, L.A. Mayor, 1992-09-04

“Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State.” Heinrich Himmler

This is long, but prophetic:




“Ultimately, a civilized society must disarm its citizenry if it is to have a modicum of domestic tranquility of the kind enjoyed by sister democracies such as Canada and Britain. Given the frontier history and individualist ideology of the Unisted States, however, this will not come easily. It certainly cannot be done radically. It will probably take one, maybe two generations. It might be 50 years before the United States gets to where Britain is today. Passing a law like the assault weapons ban is a symbolic -- purely symbolic -- move in that direction. Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.” Charles Krauthammer, Disarm the Citizenry, But Not Yet Washington Post, p. A19, 1996-04-05









janice6, me thinkum you are old pale face, but me thinkum you speakum lot of truth.
__________________
with Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Nyssa, and Tegan.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:44   #10
Glolt20-91
Senior Member
 
Glolt20-91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arizona Territory
Posts: 5,721
It's difficult for someone from a "Freedom" state to comprehend the oppression others are experiencing under the cloak of law.
__________________
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final - Bill Jordan
Glolt20-91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 13:46   #11
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 18,780


The problem isn't the laws. The problem is who is making the laws and for what purpose.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:17   #12
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,691
I hope someone will take this denial to court.....gawd...I feel for those comrades in IL.

janice6.....we are on the same page; but with respect, in this case, you are right in the problem is 'WHO' is making the laws; but allow me to add, it is also 'WHO' is interpreting/administering them.



red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:24   #13
Lord
Senior Member
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron007 View Post
I hope someone will take this denial to court.....gawd...I feel for those comrades in IL.

janice6.....we are on the same page; but with respect, in this case, you are right in the problem is 'WHO' is making the laws; but allow me to add, it is also 'WHO' is interpreting/administering them.



red
and dont' forget... "WHO is voting these criminals into office???"
__________________
Lord
G-19, PT-140 Pro, PT-111 Pro, Core-15
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:38   #14
05shadow
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Im in IL. Did my application on 9th of June. Ive been hearing of some people that were denied so Ive been checking the status of mine on ISP website and as of today(31 days after I submitted my app) its still showing as UNDER REVIEW...So I guess its a good sign.
05shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:43   #15
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!
 
redbaron007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Missouri
Posts: 6,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
and dont' forget... "WHO is voting these criminals into office???"
You got that right!!




red
__________________
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:55   #16
oldman11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,560
There should be a flood of lawsuits over this.
__________________
Travel light and come well balanced.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 15:18   #17
wjv
Senior Member
 
wjv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 12,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
There should be a flood of lawsuits over this.
One big class action suit for a Billion dollars. . .

The guy in the photos is black. Wouldn't it be interesting if all/most of the denied permits were for minority applicants. .

I love how the board thinks that it is OK to keep their discussions and reasons for denial secret. . . Bastards. . .
__________________
Bill
Pacific NW


The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 16:46   #18
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Interesting. How many permits are they actually issuing?
Somebody got one. There was a shooting by a CCW holder over the weekend in Chicago.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 17:48   #19
Steve83
Bronco guru
 
Steve83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Memphis, TN, 38135, USA, Earth
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
and dont' forget... "WHO is voting these criminals into office???"
Bingo! Another way of saying it is: who is putting up with their elected officials erasing their rights?
__________________
G21g4 (+AA22LR kit) LaserLyte ClipDraw OB-21SH
Taurus 94, Marlin 70P, Marlin 336, Win.140
Walk softly & carry a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46   #20
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul
 
uhlawpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 5,401
Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
One big class action suit for a Billion dollars. . .
.
Really? So you right the wrong by making the taxpayers pay the lawsuit.

If there's logic here, I'm missing it...
__________________
uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

Last edited by uhlawpup; 07-11-2014 at 09:47..
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:59.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,223
367 Members
856 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42