View Poll Results: Auto or Wheelgun?
Auto 5,696 89.71%
Revolver 653 10.29%
Voters: 6349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2011, 07:31   #1621
blackbirdzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
I have had a few nasty semi auto jams that were not easily cleared.
The worst one I had was a case failure from Atlanta Arms and Ammo reload in my Beretta 92. The gun held together, but I didn't think it'd ever get it unlocked. Had I been in the middle of a fire fight, I would have had to just throw it at someone.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 15:53   #1622
BLau

General Firearms Forum
Old 07-23-2011, 16:53   #1623
unit1069

I just upgraded my primary CCW pistol from a Kel-Tec PF-9 (carry time about 75% of the time) to the Steyr S9-A1. (Complete review on Gun Club thread)

I much prefer the size and weight of the Kel-Tec and I'd given much thought to the Glock sub-compacts but the new Steyr sub-compacts are superior in quality build to the KT and far more ergonomic (for me) than Glock.

I'm keeping the PF-9 for the time being although having even one FTE per 50-round box of FMJ range ammo is enough to undercut my confidence. The Steyr digests every type of range and premium self-defense ammo (ammo list in review) and it perfectly fits my hand.

The Gen 3 Glock sub-compact would have been the logical choice based upon the flawless Gen 3 compact I own but I could never warm up to curling my pinkie underneath the grip. I traded an excellent 2005-made Steyr M9-A1 for the newer S9-A1 because my Glock got more CCW carry time than the same-sized M9-A1, due to its more powerful caliber. The M9-A1 I owned was an excellent Austrian-made pistol in every way and got nightstand duty.

I know there are some good CCW choices available and for anyone with a short list I suggest they give a good look at the new Steyr S-A1 model.

Last edited by unit1069; 07-23-2011 at 16:59..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:22   #1624
Dr.Midnight

I just started carrying a Ruger .357 LCR in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. I currently have it loaded with Hornady 158 gr. XTP's. I also carry a Bianchi Speed Strip with five extra rounds. Loving this setup right now.

General Firearms Forum
Dr.Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 19:28   #1625
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLau View Post
I have the 360 as well. Yes, it is a kicker. I haven't tried the .357 mag in the 360 yet. I'm sure it is punishing.
I have a 340...its like a firecracker exploding in your hand.
Old 07-29-2011, 19:44   #1626
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie89 View Post
Ruger LCP. I prefer my G19, but I'm a very petite female, and carrying a G19...well...the only way I've found to be able to do it is in my purse. Not really a fan of that! If I'm traveling and won't be getting out of the car much, G19 all the way. The LCP just conceals so well--it's one of the only guns I've found that will for me in the summertime.
Youneed to look up "limalife" on Youtube. She carries a 1911 or a G19 with ease and she is a petite female. She does it with a belt holster.
Old 07-29-2011, 19:48   #1627
RustysG19
Caught the bug

I carry a gen 3 g19 for ccw. Love it!
RustysG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 14:50   #1628
blottogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
The Gen 3 Glock sub-compact would have been the logical choice based upon the flawless Gen 3 compact I own but I could never warm up to curling my pinkie underneath the grip.
I felt the same way when I handled the Glock 29. Putting Pearce +0 grip extensions on the magazines solved the problem though, and had little/no effect on concealability. I've got the 29 now and it's my standard summer carry. I've fired it with the Pearce extensions and without, and while it's perfectly controllable without them, it feels better with them. +2 extensions have the same effect on grip, but I've had bad luck with the followers rotating and causing a mis-feed, and they will affect concealability.

The 29 also means I have more shirt options now for CCW than I did during last summer with the Glock 20!

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” – Benjamin Franklin
blottogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 15:35   #1629
blottogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
Youneed to look up "limalife" on Youtube. She carries a 1911 or a G19 with ease and she is a petite female. She does it with a belt holster.
Good reference, I hadn't seen her videos before. And I agree with your sentiment. I've been taught to find a weapon you're comfortable shooting (reliable, accurate, in a caliber big enough to have the desired effect...) and then worry about concealing it. There are enough holster, clothing and bag/fanny pack options out there that concealment has a lot more flexibility to it than you'd think at first. Lima's videos highlight a lot of them. You also have to keep in mind how you reach for stuff on the bottom or top shelves at Wal-Mart...

I'm a little bigger than Lima (5'9", 155 lb, 32" waist), and a guy, but I'll carry a Glock 20/29 and a double mag carrier OWB, plus my leatherman and insulin pump, all on my belt (knife, flashlight etc. go in pockets). Last winter, I had my Glock 20 and the rest under just a sweatshirt, and I surprised members of our draw class when I lifted the sweatshirt up (and not because of my pasty skin). It looks like Batman's utility belt, that is if he still carried like he did in the 30's. They knew what to look for, but were still surprised.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” – Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by blottogg; 07-31-2011 at 17:34.. Reason: spelling
blottogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 18:18   #1630
SCmasterblaster

I live in VT, one of the three states that allow CCW without a licence. I carry my only Glock, a Third gen G17 that used to be a 1988 second gen handgun. I have to open carry in neighboring NH because I do not have a NH CCW permit. It is interesting OCing into restaurants and grocery stores, but no one has seen it or challenged me about it. No LEO challenges either. I carry it with 16 rounds of Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ loads. I think that most people assume that I am an LEO of some kind.
Old 07-31-2011, 18:24   #1631
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie89 View Post
Ruger LCP. I prefer my G19, but I'm a very petite female, and carrying a G19...well...the only way I've found to be able to do it is in my purse. Not really a fan of that! If I'm traveling and won't be getting out of the car much, G19 all the way. The LCP just conceals so well--it's one of the only guns I've found that will for me in the summertime.
So, what do you carry in your G19?
Old 08-02-2011, 13:53   #1632
islandglocker

Glock 19 , spare mag , Benchmade barrage, Surefire E1B backup on either a Galco fannypack across my shoulder or an M-TAC IWB holster, Glock spare mag holster with an Elephant hide BELTMAN.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 08-02-2011, 13:59   #1633
SCmasterblaster

What do I carry for CCW?

Third Gen G17 with 16 rounds of +p+ 115gr JHPs. Spare 17round magazine.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:10   #1634
nathanours
Texan

This little Mak recently:

General Firearms Forum

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:19   #1635
Dogbite
DNT TREAD ON ME

I carry a G23 primarly now. I wouldnt feel unarmed though with a j-frame, or a 2-4 inch 357 mag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Dogbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:54   #1636
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike g35 View Post
S&W 442 5 shot 38sp. +p its easily concealed and revolvers NEVER jam.
Well, revolvers do indeed jam. If you eject your empties horizontally, you'll dump unburnt powder flakes under the star. Then the star won't fully seat, and then the cylinder will not rotate freely. It may even jam in place.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:56   #1637
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Fever View Post
This in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

General Firearms Forum
What is that behind the trigger?
Old 08-02-2011, 22:56   #1638
Cokeman
Glock 23

Something that is propping the gun up?
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9
Cokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07   #1639
boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Well, revolvers do indeed jam. If you eject your empties horizontally, you'll dump unburnt powder flakes under the star. Then the star won't fully seat, and then the cylinder will not rotate freely. It may even jam in place.
I believe you, but I have never had a revolver jam. I only shoot 50 rounds at a time, and clean thoroughly after shooting. I also use ammo with good clean powders. I have no doubt things can go wrong with any human made device.
boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32   #1640
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer View Post
I believe you, but I have never had a revolver jam. I only shoot 50 rounds at a time, and clean thoroughly after shooting. I also use ammo with good clean powders. I have no doubt things can go wrong with any human made device.
If you eject your empty cases with the muzzle pointed straight up, you'll not have any powder under the star.