Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-19-2014, 14:45   #1
Spartacus100

Trading for a Walther PPQ

Im picking up a Walther PPQ M2 tomorrow in a trade. I like what i have read about them but have never owned a Walther and was hoping to get first hand info from those who have owned one or shot one.

I mainly picked it up for home defense for my wife and for me to use when im not carrying my Glock 19.

Spartacus100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 15:07   #2
willieH

You got yourself a very fine pistol with an exceptional trigger in a striker fired gun, congrats. I'll be looking forward to your range report.

General Firearms Forum
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 15:20   #3
Spartacus100

Thanks. I hope to take it out this weekend and see how it does and if it will replace the G19 as my EDC. Everything I have read on this pistol have been positive and i havent come across one negative comment yet. Im excited to get it and out some rounds through it.

Gave up a like new Beretta M9 to get a like new PPQ (even trade-gun for gun) however i get an extra couple of magazines for the cost of a 4 boxes of ammo. All in all, i cant complain about the deal. While I love the M9, I wanted something else that could be carried daily like mt 19. Just need to break down and get some night sights for it.

Old 09-19-2014, 17:22   #4
Pier23

As you probably know, the PPQ comes in two flavors, the M1, otherwise known as the TRUE PPQ with the paddle mag release, and the the "Murcanized" or fake, pandering to Europhobic -not-invented-here-reactionaries-who-can-only-understand-a-button released M2.

The M1 is the superior choice in all respects, proving to be more reliable, more accurate, more attractive without the button wart and never requires cleaning.

BUT, if you erred and got the M2, you still have a fine weapon, and you can hold your head high. Not as high as an M1 holder, but think of the M2 as your gateway drug.

ENJOY!!!!,

Last edited by Pier23; 09-19-2014 at 19:34..
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 18:07   #5
MStarmer
In Jail...

Picked up a lowly M2 myself a few weeks ago. It's a great gun out of the box less the plastic sights. Mags can be had for as low as $29 from cheaper than dirt (if you want to shop with them).

I'm getting pretty impressive groups at 25yds, even with the stock sights. It is a fantastic pistol with few shortcomings. If you want to mod or customize this ain't the gun for you, if you're looking for lots of sights and holster options this ain't the gun for you. But there are options out there, it's just not as easy.

Night sights come down to a couple of choices, Meprolight and Trijicons. You'll have to spend some time on the Walther forums as there is some debate on sight picture / poi issues depending on what you get. There also is a 10-8 offering but only tritium front. Fiber optic available from Dawson precision.

The only one single complaint I've heard over and over on the M2 (other than using different mags than the M1) is that the mag release spring is a little on the weak side. This results in unintentional jettisoning of the mag during awkward manipulations or weak hand shooting. The consensus is a slightly heavier spring from Wolff solves this pretty easily and inexpensively.

I think like most you will find that it shoots and feels better than your G19. It's a fantastic gun.
Old 09-19-2014, 19:55   #6
Spartacus100

great reply MStarmer and much appreciated.I dont customize much so that wont be much of a problem. I'll look at night sights down the road but will definitely look at the heavier mag release spring. Its going to take some work to replace my Glock 19 that has night sights and a trigger job but if it shoots better groups, i will be making a change in my EDC.

Ill have 4 mags so that should get me by for a while.

Old 09-19-2014, 20:24   #7
bac1023

Its one of the best polymer pistols on the market today...

Congrats!

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 23:54   #8
sns3guppy

I have a couple of the PPQ's in the later, or M2 version, in .40. i quite like them.

I haven't had any issues with inadvertent depression of the magazine release, though I can see how people might. It works fine for me.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:09   #9
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
I have a couple of the PPQ's in the later, or M2 version, in .40. i quite like them.

I haven't had any issues with inadvertent depression of the magazine release, though I can see how people might. It works fine for me.
I was tuned into the issues of a button mag release when I was carrying a Steyr GB with a button release on a covered holster when I took a slip from my horse (sloppy bareback mount) and fell on the side the gun was on.

Took the horse to vote, and found out, as I was unholstering at the voting place, my mag was out of the gun.

Near as I can tell, when I fell on the gun, I depressed the mag release.

Somewhere on a rural backtrail between my home and the voting bldg lies a very expensive magazine....

Anyway, for trail work now I prefer either a wheelgun or a heel release or a paddle release.
Old 09-20-2014, 13:46   #10
fastbolt

There's lots of thread topics devoted to the excellent modern pistols being produced by Walther, including the licensed copies of the excellent 99 series being marketed in the US by one or another company at one time or another.

I'm the owner of a couple of such licensed copies (SW9940 & SW999c). I've been through the SW99/P99 armorer class a few times. I've carried an issued SW9940 for a few years and have helped support a small number of them as issued weapons & those owner by other guys & gals (more than 55+ guns) as an armorer.

Walther makes good firearms.

I found it somewhat funny (but predictable) that when Walther offered the PPQ in its original configuration (meaning with the standard paddle mag catch), American buyers complained. So, Walther revised the model to include a mag catch button for American buyers ... who then promptly complained and wanted the original paddle mag catch.

I sometimes suspect the German engineers may wonder whether there's a circus music background theme running whenever Americans visit gun stores and try to decide upon firearms features.

FWIW, the 99 series (and definitely the PPS) are NOT something for the average kitchen-table tinkerer to consider disassembling beyond normal field-stripping for cleaning, inspection & lubrication. Really.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 09-20-2014 at 13:48..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 14:50   #11
grumpy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Walther makes good firearms.

I found it somewhat funny (but predictable) that when Walther offered the PPQ in its original configuration (meaning with the standard paddle mag catch), American buyers complained. So, Walther revised the model to include a mag catch button for American buyers ... who then promptly complained and wanted the original paddle mag catch.
No kidding. There are also those that are complaining that Walther offers the two versions of the PPQ and somehow that will cause the demise of Walther because Walther can not be trusted.

Last edited by grumpy1; 09-20-2014 at 14:52..
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 17:16   #12
WayneJessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus100 View Post
Im picking up a Walther PPQ M2 tomorrow in a trade. I like what i have read about them but have never owned a Walther and was hoping to get first hand info from those who have owned one or shot one.

I mainly picked it up for home defense for my wife and for me to use when im not carrying my Glock 19.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's rare to hear many complaints about one.
Old 09-20-2014, 19:58   #13
Sigobsessed

Congrats on the new family member.
Old 09-20-2014, 20:05   #14
FLglockdude

I picked one up myself a fee weeks ago and so far I love it. I've put 400 rounds through it so far without cleaning or anything, just straight out of the box and to the range. So far no problems at all. This gun is a winner; phenomenal trigger, awesome ergos, great size. Overall a wonderful pistol.
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:57   #15
Bruce M

Enjoy your new Walther. Seems like everyone who has one really likes it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:58   #16
Spartacus100

heading to the range today at 10:00. Will give a report this afternoon on how it does against my Glock 19

Old 09-21-2014, 11:00   #17
MStarmer
In Jail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
No kidding. There are also those that are complaining that Walther offers the two versions of the PPQ and somehow that will cause the demise of Walther because Walther can not be trusted.

No that just means you have to buy two. I have the M2 and now would like an M1 as well. The biggest downfall is different mags. I can't imagine where someone thought that was a good idea, other than "hey let's sell more mags"..
Old 09-21-2014, 11:18   #18
Gunny Lingus
Think it moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
As you probably know, the PPQ comes in two flavors, the M1, otherwise known as the TRUE PPQ with the paddle mag release, and the the "Murcanized" or fake, pandering to Europhobic -not-invented-here-reactionaries-who-can-only-understand-a-button released M2.

The M1 is the superior choice in all respects, proving to be more reliable, more accurate, more attractive without the button wart and never requires cleaning.

BUT, if you erred and got the M2, you still have a fine weapon, and you can hold your head high. Not as high as an M1 holder, but think of the M2 as your gateway drug.

ENJOY!!!!,
There is a man who knows his sidearms.

It's funny to me that people think in a stressful situation they will be able to manipulate a pistol to use the button mag release Americans seem to love so much. But hey, they can do it in IDPA.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Hey Yeager: Youtube is NOT your friend, and DOES NOT help your business.
Gunny Lingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:22   #19
texasKA

Walther's ads are not lying when they say it's got the smoothest trigger action. I love my M2
texasKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:46   #20
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

As good as the PPQ is I'm a little surprised on why it's not that popular.

Last edited by TxGlock9; 09-21-2014 at 11:46..
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote