Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2014, 20:30   #1
tercel89

S.A. XD = lot of parts

I just got through watching a complete detail strip and reassembly of the Springfield Armory XD pistol . There were a load of springs and parts ! I have had 3 XD's in the past and I liked them but the parts thing is just unreal when compared to how little our Glocks have .
I got in the mood to get myself another XD and try it again but after watching this guy detail strip his and the high number of parts , I think I may have to give it more thought before I buy .
Just couldn't believe it would have that much more over our Glocks.

Last edited by tercel89; 08-23-2014 at 20:30.. Reason: spelling
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:33   #2
Totn27

I am glad that I only own one now, you are correct too many parts and too much BS to complete take an XD down compared to a Glock.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
John 8:44
Totn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:34   #3
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
I just got through watching a complete detail strip and reassembly of the Springfield Armory XD pistol . There were a load of springs and parts ! I have had 3 XD's in the past and I liked them but the parts thing is just unreal when compared to how little our Glocks have .
I got in the mood to get myself another XD and try it again but after watching this guy detail strip his and the high number of parts , I think I may have to give it more thought before I buy .
Just couldn't believe it would have that much more over our Glocks.

So it has a lot of parts. Big whoop. If it's good enough for LE it's good enough for my carry gun.

I carry an xdm 3.8 .40.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:40   #4
bac1023

Yeah, for whatever reason everyone frowns on extra parts around here. I personally feel Glock simplicity is a bit overrated. I don't always see the big advantage.

Some of my best firearms are very complex designs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:45   #5
ksmedman

Spent a very hot day today shooting with friends, both my G19 and my XD45 tactical got a good workout. One friend had his 19 and 17 also.
Got to say, the XD was every bit as accurate and shootable as the Glocks.
Parts, or not so many parts, I'm happy with both designs.

My Ruger Mk II also got lot's of trigger time, want to compare stripping and cleaning with that?
Black Rifle Club member #300BLK
ksmedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:48   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Spent a very hot day today shooting with friends, both my G19 and my XD45 tactical got a good workout. One friend had his 19 and 17 also.

My Ruger Mk II also got lot's of trigger time, want to compare stripping and cleaning with that?
Yeah, those Rugers are always an adventure to fieldstrip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 20:52   #7
tercel89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post

I've did it a few times with my RUger MKIII. IT SUCKS
tercel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 21:57   #8
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel89 View Post
I just got through watching a complete detail strip and reassembly of the Springfield Armory XD pistol . There were a load of springs and parts !

.....none of which ever have to be removed (ever)
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 22:10   #9
Totn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
.....none of which ever have to be removed (ever)
If one leaves their guns dirty, sure, none have to be removed, but it will eventually cause a problem.

Not cleaning the striker channel over time wouldn't be a good idea, you have to remove a roll pin with a punch to get the striker out, Springfield could have did a better job with that.

Extractors need to be cleaned as well, removing it is a pain in the arse. Oh and another roll pin to remove the loaded chamber indicator.

The XD is definitely not user friendly when it comes to breaking them all the way down for a good cleaning.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
John 8:44

Last edited by Totn27; 08-23-2014 at 22:17..
Totn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 22:26   #10
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totn27 View Post
Extractors need to be cleaned as well, removing it is a pain in the arse.
Well, the extractor in my XD 9 works! That's something I can't say about the extractor in my G36.

I like the XD pistols. I don't think the newer XDs's or XDm's are available in California (and I'm too lazy to go look) but that XD 9 is a very nice gun.

The 1911 has a few more parts than the Glocks but the good news is that none of them are plastic (other than the grip panels and they might actually be wood). I never actually sat down to count the difference and, to be fair, we would have to remove the ejector from the trigger block and any other odd parts (like the trigger safety) on the Glock in order to make it a fair comparison with the 1911. Parts is parts, they all count.

You can also do a fairly detailed strip of the 1911 with no tools. You can't disassemble the hammer spring but, other than that, I think you can completely disassemble the gun with no tools whatsoever. Of course, that means you are using the sear spring tang as a screwdriver to remove the grip plates if that is actually required. No pin punch required!

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 08-23-2014 at 22:28..
F106 Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 23:07   #11
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post

You can also do a fairly detailed strip of the 1911 with no tools. You can't disassemble the hammer spring but, other than that, I think you can completely disassemble the gun with no tools whatsoever. Of course, that means you are using the sear spring tang as a screwdriver to remove the grip plates if that is actually required. No pin punch required!

Richard
Actually on a true 1911A1 the parts you remove in the proper sequence become the tools to continue the full teardown, to include the 'hammer spring' from the MSH. The sear tang is for removing the mag release (the mag base is the screwdriver for removing the grips)

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 08-23-2014 at 23:08..
Old 08-25-2014, 00:23   #12
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

I wouldn't not buy a gun because it has more parts. If it works it works. Saying that I don't think I'll be buying a XD or any XD series pistol anytime soon. It's all Glock & M&P for me now.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25   #13
boilergonzo

If fewer parts is the goal, ditch Glock and get some old Makarov's!

I would avoid a Rube Goldberg level of complexity, but the parts count is not a driver in my considerations.

Ruger MK series are a real nuisance to clean. Most others are close enough it doesn't matter to me.

Parts counts don't drive my decisions between the two (I have XD's and Glocks) any more than they would if deciding between a Honda and a Toyota... I am sure one has fewer parts, and one probably is slightly easier to change a battery or head gaskets on...
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09   #14
Spartacus100

My Beretta M9 has a ton of parts too but that doesnt keep it from being arguably my favorite pistol and IMO it has the smoothest slide to frame feel out there and for me its a a superbly accurate pistol. Then again, a Glock 19 is my EDC most days.

I think that for the average shooter the number of parts is irrelevant. Proper maintenence and quality ammo will go along way in keeping most pistol in service regardless of the number of parts.

Spartacus100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:01   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

How many parts did Glock have to add to the magazine design from the original Glock magazine design?

Less parts does not equal better.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:26   #16
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
How many parts did Glock have to add to the magazine design from the original Glock magazine design?

Do you know why that was done?? It had nothing to do with reliability if you are refering to the 'drop free' thing. The original design was not intended to drop out as the SM was only to be issued one loaded mag.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:32   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIPPER 348 View Post
Do you know why that was done?? It had nothing to do with reliability if you are refering to the 'drop free' thing. The original design was not intended to drop out as the SM was only to be issued one loaded mag.
It was more than just the "drop free" aspect. It was about the base plate coming off and the guts flying out if the original mag were drop on a hard surface.

Do you remember how the original mag's base plate was disassembled? You squeeze the mag body just above the base plate and slide the base plate out. All that's holding the base plate in place were two tiny plastic nubs. Hence the change to stiffer mag steel liners, locking button, etc.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39   #18
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

True, but not in this case (total parts count of Glock vs XD). The XD has around a dozen or slightly more total parts.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:11   #19
s&wfan

Boy those Korth revolvers sure do stink, right?
s&wfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:23   #20
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
True, but not in this case (total parts count of Glock vs XD). The XD has around a dozen or slightly more total parts.
Once again, the argument is that less parts does not automatically equate to better performance.

Hence, my example of Glock part counts went up because of a bad design.