Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2014, 18:18   #1
seamaster

Overthinking again, XD9 or XD45?

In feeling the urge to buy one XD and I'm probably overthinking it. I rented the 5" Tactical and I grouped better with it than any of my 9mm Glocks that I've been shooting for a long time. So obviously the pistol suits my hands.

I'm not interested in the XDm or the XDs, just the XD in 9mm or 45acp.

I sort of swore off getting anything in 45acp again because of the cost of ammo but I'm considering it again. And I might even consider giving up one of my Glock 19's to buy the XD.

So what do the wise people of Glocktalk think?
seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 20:37   #2
willieH

If you shot the XD-9 and liked the accuracy you achieved along with ergonomics- that's the one to get. Don't second guess yourself with something you haven't shot. However, if it were me, I would get both and keep the Glock.
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 21:06   #3
bac1023

I wouldn't sell the Glock to buy a standard XD.

Out of the two, I prefer 9mm. However, I much prefer the XDm over the standard model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 21:12   #4
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

My dad has a XD9 sub-compact and I shot better with that than I ever have with my G32.

And I'd take 9mm over .45 every single chance given.
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 21:12   #5
Mixednuts

I would keep the Glock and just buy the XD9. Having said that I agree with bac and would definitely recommend looking at the XDm version. It really is nice.
Mixednuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 23:53   #6
seamaster

Thanks for the replies. The XDm isn't an option because it's not on cal roster and I'm not willing to pay a premium to have it configured to meet the requirements and then reconfigured back to normal...so it's a no go!

This XD will most likely be the only XD I buy so I'm am probably overthinking it.

Price of ammo is a factor but I shoot 100-150 rounds every two or three months it shouldn't be a huge factor. I have mainly 9mm pistols now so maybe it's good to this one in 45?

I need a push!
Old 07-19-2014, 23:59   #7
RustyShackelford
> OD Glock 32 <

If you're looking to get into .45acp then there are several better options than a regular XD pistol, probably. But if you have other 9mm already, and are fine with keeping that train running I say stay on the XD.
TOP GUN 357SIG, Florida Glocker Clubs member #420

, straight stock (so far)
----------------------------
Ray Zalinsky: "What the American public doesn't know is what makes them the American public."
RustyShackelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 00:08   #8
Totn27

There is no way I would sell one of my Glocks to buy an XD, there was a time when I had more XD`s and XDM`s than I had Glocks, it`s just the opposite now. I am down to one XD now and the only reason it is still here is because the wife likes it. Don`t get me wrong they are decent pistols and they shoot well, I just prefer a Glock over the XD line.

It still bothers me that Springfield did not come up with a better way than having to use a punch to knock out a roll pin just to get a firing pin out. I also remember the first time I tried to remove the extractor on an XD.

For me, now-days, it will always be a Glock over the XD line.

When it comes to choosing a good .45acp, it is hard to beat a 1911.

Last edited by Totn27; 07-20-2014 at 00:10..
Totn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:32   #9
Slick109r

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster View Post
Thanks for the replies. The XDm isn't an option because it's not on cal roster and I'm not willing to pay a premium to have it configured to meet the requirements and then reconfigured back to normal...so it's a no go!

This XD will most likely be the only XD I buy so I'm am probably overthinking it.

Price of ammo is a factor but I shoot 100-150 rounds every two or three months it shouldn't be a huge factor. I have mainly 9mm pistols now so maybe it's good to this one in 45?

I need a push!

I understand the XDm is not on your Cal roster,

But for S's & G's, do your self a favor and shoot one first in 9mm.

If you like the XD, you will LOVE the XDm.

Stock for stock, its XDm > Glock any day in my book.
Slick109r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33   #10
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

The regulars XD pistols are great. The .45 has the same capacity as the GLOCK, with a much slimmer grip. I guess in CA that is irrelevant. My friend used an XD .45 to win his first national championship, so it's certainly a capable gun.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:01   #11
seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyP View Post
The regulars XD pistols are great. The .45 has the same capacity as the GLOCK, with a much slimmer grip. I guess in CA that is irrelevant. My friend used an XD .45 to win his first national championship, so it's certainly a capable gun.
Ya the 10 round mag limit irks me big time. Guns that are designed to hold more than need to have magazines blocked to limit the capacity. It's like carrying dead weight!
Old 07-20-2014, 13:06   #12
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

I recently got an xd 45 after ignoring them for a long time. Then I shot a range rental on a whim and was pleasantly suprised. Buy the xd then get a new trigger from Powder River Precision or Springer. I can only speak of the PRP, but people seem to like both. Gets rid of all that take-up and overtravel. I'm sure the xdm has its benefits, but I like the look of the original xd. What finally sold me was I found one with an OD green frame and stainless slide.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Henry's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 13:27   #13
jrs93accord

One time, I traded a Beretta 92 FS for a XD45 Tactical. Three months later, I traded it back for the Beretta 92FS. I would prefer to have a Glock 17 or 19 instead of a XD 9mm. I would prefer to have a Glock 21 instead of a XD45. Oh wait, I do. The XD has never done anything for me, but some people swear by them, while others swear at them.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 13:47   #14
deputy tom

Quote:
In feeling the urge to buy one XD and I'm probably overthinking it. I rented the 5" Tactical and I grouped better with it than any of my 9mm Glocks that I've been shooting for a long time. So obviously the pistol suits my hands.

I'm not interested in the XDm or the XDs, just the XD in 9mm or 45acp.

I sort of swore off getting anything in 45acp again because of the cost of ammo but I'm considering it again. And I might even consider giving up one of my Glock 19's to buy the XD.

So what do the wise people of Glocktalk think?
I in fact did trade a Glock 26 towards an XDS-9. All aspects of the XDS make it right for me. If you feel the XD pistol fits your hands better than a Glock then I suggest you go buy an XD. If however the G19 feels right in your hands don't get rid of the Glock. As for caliber get what you like best. Mine is a 9mm but the .45 is fine too. Good luck in your quest. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 14:18   #15
Bruce M

Probably doesn't help but I would not trade a G19 for a XD.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 14:40   #16
Gdirty5

Since you already have a g19, get the xd45.
Old 07-20-2014, 19:03   #17
seamaster

I just hit the "buy now" button

My initial choice is what I ordered. I had it narrowed down to 2, the XD9 Tactical and the XD45 Compact. I came close to choosing the 45 because it's designed as a true 10 round gun with no wasted empty mag space to accommodate California's stupid gun laws. But the 5" 9mm is what I wanted from the start. I just had to consider what other XD's I might like. The XD is one of the very few guns/brands that I never owned.

My new gun....XD9 Tactical.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-20-2014, 19:48   #18
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
I just hit the "buy now" button

My initial choice is what I ordered. I had it narrowed down to 2, the XD9 Tactical and the XD45 Compact. I came close to choosing the 45 because it's designed as a true 10 round gun with no wasted empty mag space to accommodate California's stupid gun laws. But the 5" 9mm is what I wanted from the start. I just had to consider what other XD's I might like. The XD is one of the very few guns/brands that I never owned.

My new gun....XD9 Tactical.

Thanks for the replies.
Good choice. Congrats.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 00:31   #19
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I wouldn't sell the Glock to buy a standard XD.

Out of the two, I prefer 9mm. However, I much prefer the XDm over the standard model.

I don't really care for the XD in general but I have to agree with you here. I preferred the XDm over the standard model. It's overall the better gun.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34   #20
charlespe

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
If you shot the XD-9 and liked the accuracy you achieved along with ergonomics- that's the one to get. Don't second guess yourself with something you haven't shot. However, if it were me, I would get both and keep the Glock.
I would do the very same. I wouldn't wanna sell my glock
charlespe is offline   Reply With Quote