Old 11-13-2008, 14:02   #51
21Glocker

Sweet thanks man!
G39-Bull Dawgs Club#1987
Black Rifle Club#1987
21Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 19:34   #52
Aurelius

Excellent information ladies and gentlemen.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:52   #53
Felitti

what about a person under 21 at their business (family owned). can that person carry concealed? or have to open carry?
GSSF Member
www.micantcorporation.com
Felitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:20   #54
Roxxxy

im probably posting on the oldest thread on here..but i wanted to know....

i dont currently have a CCW, but i want to go to the range. how do i get myself w/ my gun to the range legally?

i read all the statutes posted and stuff..but the legalese is very confusing. and someone said..everyone interprets it differently.

i just want to know if i got my g30 locked in its box in the trunk- am i good to go?
Roxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:57   #55
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxxy View Post
im probably posting on the oldest thread on here..but i wanted to know....

i dont currently have a CCW, but i want to go to the range. how do i get myself w/ my gun to the range legally?

i read all the statutes posted and stuff..but the legalese is very confusing. and someone said..everyone interprets it differently.

i just want to know if i got my g30 locked in its box in the trunk- am i good to go?
Yes. You don't need to have a CCW to have a handgun (even loaded) in your vehicle in Florida. The best reference for anything to do with firearms in Florida is Gutmacher's "Florida Firearms Law,Use & Ownership" which is available at most gun shops.
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .

Last edited by rich52us; 03-07-2009 at 08:00..
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 19:02   #56
neonhomer

Send a message via Yahoo to neonhomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
and he even told us the universal hand symbol for "I have a concealed weapon" when police approach your car (created by the NRA some years ago he said) so that the officer can know you are armed, and most likely not going to blow his head off.

So, what is said hand signal?

While I am waiting for my CWP to come in, I have my G27 in it's box with a loaded magazine in the gun, but the chamber is empty. I would have to cycle it to chamber a round.

The box sits under the back seat of my truck. I can reach around and unsnap the box open and grab it, but it is a little of stretch...
NeonHomer - Florida Glocker #522 - NRA Member - Glock Armorer - GSSF Member
Glock 22 .40, Glock 27 .40 in OD Green
Volusia County, FL
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 18:36   #57
Tdog1

Did we ever get a response to "What is the universal handsign for carrying a concealed weapon"??[

quote=Hyksos;11526286]When I took my Concealed Weapons class, it was taught by a sergeant of the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department who worked at the gun store as a side job. He was very clear about the law, and there was not any of the confusion that some of you people seemed to have.

We were instructed what securely encased was, how it applied, and he even told us the universal hand symbol for "I have a concealed weapon" when police approach your car (created by the NRA some years ago he said) so that the officer can know you are armed, and most likely not going to blow his head off.

Granted the sergeant said that not all police will know the hand sign, but it doesn't hurt to try. Either way there was no talk of this 3 step rule, or any such 'it has to be in the trunk' nonsense.[/quote]
Tdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 23:58   #58
PFCWARD82

Okay, heres my question ( I have read all of this but it dosent answer about the age) I'm 18, and I legally own a Glock 23 that was purchased by my mother, then given to me as a graduation gift. Am I allowed to carry it in my vehicle? I have before, it was in a snapped holster, loaded mag but none in the chamber, in my glove box. Is this legal? Im confused because I have read that FL says I can legally own a pistol, but I cant buy one, or ammo.
PFCWARD82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:17   #59
Hyksos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog1 View Post
Did we ever get a response to "What is the universal handsign for carrying a concealed weapon"??[

quote=Hyksos;11526286]When I took my Concealed Weapons class, it was taught by a sergeant of the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department who worked at the gun store as a side job. He was very clear about the law, and there was not any of the confusion that some of you people seemed to have.

We were instructed what securely encased was, how it applied, and he even told us the universal hand symbol for "I have a concealed weapon" when police approach your car (created by the NRA some years ago he said) so that the officer can know you are armed, and most likely not going to blow his head off.

Granted the sergeant said that not all police will know the hand sign, but it doesn't hurt to try. Either way there was no talk of this 3 step rule, or any such 'it has to be in the trunk' nonsense.
Well, what the sergeant told us was that when you grip the wheel as the officer approaches (in a 10 and 2 position I assume) you instead place your hands flat with your fingers extended. Instead of gripping the wheel, act like you're holding up 5 fingers on both hands, and place those hands flat onto the 10 and 2 position of the steering wheel.

This way (presumably) you for sure cannot be holding anything, and I guess (also presumably) that one would put their CCW/Drivers License/Insurance in between the pointer and middle finger of the left hand?

The sergeant did say that this is a bit of an older practice, and that not all law enforcement know this sign however he said it could not hurt.

Hope this helped.
Hyksos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:57   #60
highfructosecornsyrp

I'm a bit confused. I have a concealed weapons permit. I am exempted from keeping the weapon in a secured area (glove blox, closed center console, holster).

I can put the gun anywhere I want, so long as it is not visible, no?

When I get in the car, I place mine under my seat leaning against the center console. Better place than stuck in the small of my back sitting in the seat...
highfructosecornsyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 00:55   #61
jamaicanj

I never heard of this hand signal...see below. Anyone else heard of it or better yet used it?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyksos View Post
Well, what the sergeant told us was that when you grip the wheel as the officer approaches (in a 10 and 2 position I assume) you instead place your hands flat with your fingers extended. Instead of gripping the wheel, act like you're holding up 5 fingers on both hands, and place those hands flat onto the 10 and 2 position of the steering wheel.

This way (presumably) you for sure cannot be holding anything, and I guess (also presumably) that one would put their CCW/Drivers License/Insurance in between the pointer and middle finger of the left hand?

The sergeant did say that this is a bit of an older practice, and that not all law enforcement know this sign however he said it could not hurt.

Hope this helped.
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 00:03   #62
GaleForce

Thanks for this thread. I was just wondering today that if, as someone without a CCW, I could keep a handgun in my glove. I don't have a holster since I don't carry but when I do have the gun with me it would be nice to be able to put it there rather than in the trunk like I have been doing.

Can the gun be loaded if you don't have a CCW?

EDIT: Never mind, I see above that someone mentioned the gun can be loaded.

Last edited by GaleForce; 02-14-2011 at 00:21..
GaleForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 16:43   #63
dbcooper

I don't know why the 3 step thing refuses to die, it was never the law here.

One thing to remember is most officers still think there is a 3 step law and you may end up in cuffs til it's sorted out. Way back when I went to my CC class they included an article from a central Fl. paper. An attorney got pulled over, officer sees weapon, asks for permit, lawyer says I don't need one it's legal, lawyer spends 10 or so hours locked up, gets 60,000 dollars for wrongful arrest suit. I keep the copy of the laws in my car, just in case but an officer who doesn't know the law most likely will not read the law or debate it with you if he's convinced he's right, but you may get a big payday out of it.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:20   #64
deltacharlie2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc View Post
Good post, J Crew.
Here are a couple of things to consider. First, Jon Gutmacher indicates (p.72) that it would be legal to have a gun in the car "wihin reach, under a towel... No, it doesn't have to be in a holster!"
All the employees at my local gun shop have a loaded firearm on or around their center console. Many keep it within easy reach, concealed by a small towel. All our law enforcement cares about is if it is in plain sight. I got pulled over in Jacksonville Beach with a desert eagle in my unlocked glove compartment; the officer pulled out the weapon, smiled, and said "There needs to be more Americans like you".
deltacharlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 22:11   #65
Court in FL.

Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

I take it this means long guns (rifles & shotguns) are not a problem when carried in a private conveyance (car or truck). ???????

Court in FL.
Court in FL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32   #66
brboyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court in FL. View Post
Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

I take it this means long guns (rifles & shotguns) are not a problem when carried in a private conveyance (car or truck). ???????

Court in FL.
Correct.
brboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 21:30   #67
JETHRO38

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
I have to agree with gmountain your posting and information is wrong or not 100% correct whatever way you want to take it

I also agreed you have to read the whole reference vrs selectively taking out what you think is all you need.

{This means the gun can be readily accessible as long as it is encased. An example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in a snapped holster in the center console next to them. Another example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in an enclosed container with a lid on ones lap. Both of these examples }

btw I got a kick out of the CCW-holder have to have a gun holster and in a center console example, man that was hilarious

jcrew one question for you, did you take a CCW class and if you did and your instructor gave you this erronous information, please go back an demand your money back.

Also pls do us all a favor and post his name/location so I can make sure not to reccommend any of my friends to him.
FLORIDA GLOCKER #0420
*EDC-GLOCK27*
JETHRO38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46   #68
rdpG19

Both my wife and I have CWL's I carry on my hip everywhere I go, she carries in a belly band sometimes..

Good Post...very informative!
Walther PK 380 www.guntoters.com
Florida Glockers Club 159 rdpG19
rdpG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 17:17   #69
docswing21
Doc w/ a Glock

concealed weapons on military bases

Concealed weapons on military bases does any one have any information on the rules on this?
I was told that you could not! Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Doc
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36   #70
rdpG19

Good post, and comments.
Walther PK 380 www.guntoters.com
Florida Glockers Club 159 rdpG19
rdpG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 20:04   #71
waylouderthanyou

Great info, newbie here! I usually carry everywhere with my gov't credentials
Old 05-14-2013, 07:43   #72
redscho
GUNSRFUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by docswing21 View Post
Concealed weapons on military bases does any one have any information on the rules on this?
I was told that you could not! Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Doc
This is true. No personal weapons, concealed or otherwise are allowed on military bases. Checked it out before visiting grandson at Columbus AFB Mississippi 4/28/13.

see: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440102
redscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 20:10   #73
zo6kid

Thanks for the Forum , lots of good info , waiting on my CCW .
zo6kid is offline   Reply With Quote