Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:22   #1
J Crew
Family Man

Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

For Non-CWL holders:

Statute 790.25

Quote:
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
This means one must have the firearm securely incased or the firearm must be out of reach (immediate use). Good example for Non-CWL holders is a gun in a snapped holster and placed in an enclosed glovebox. Some good examples lent by Gmountain include: Now, it could be snapped in a holster and stuck in the door pocket. That would be fine. It could also be snapped in a holster and on the passenger seat, covered by a newspaper. Or, depending on your vehicle, snapped in a holster and laying on the passenger seat. You could have it snapped in a holster and lay it on the floor.

For CWL holders (supercedes Statute 790.25):

Statute 790.001

Quote:
(16) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as easily and quickly as if carried on the person.
(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
This means the gun can be readily accessible as long as it is encased. An example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in a snapped holster in the center console next to them. Another example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in an enclosed container with a lid on ones lap. Both of these examples are legal as long as they are not in ordinary sight, but may not always be the best choice.

Remember to think in advance what will occur if you happen to run into a law enforcement officer. Will the carry method in your vehicle, although legal, cause uneccessary stress to you, others, and/or an officer? Could you land yourself behind the barrel of a loaded police gun and/or in jail? As stated in the Cop Talk forums, not all police are up to speed on concealed carry laws and CWL carry methods. These are things you always want to take into consideration.

For All, as described in Statute 790.001 that applies to everyone:

Quote:
(2) "Concealed firearm" means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.
(3)(a) "Concealed weapon" means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.
Simply means keep the gun out of sight for others to see.

Definitions

Securely encased defined -
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...20001#0790.001

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(16) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as easily and quickly as if carried on the person.

(17) "Securely encased" means
*in a glove compartment, whether or not locked;
*snapped in a holster;
*in a gun case, whether or not locked;
*in a zippered gun case;
*or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Anything * is good no matter the location. Snapped in a holster under the seat meets the statute requirements for securely encased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
16" Chrome lined barrel, 1:9 twist, Hogue grip, NM two stage trigger, 6-position stock, Aimpoint RDS Reddot, KAC mount
British Enfield 303: Stock WWII rifle

Last edited by J Crew; 01-06-2007 at 20:40..
J Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:24   #2
J Crew
Family Man

This is meant for a reference for Floridians or others passing through. Please, if you see an error or mis-spelling then let me know so that I can correct it. If you think there should be other examples used then please suggest those as well. Thanks and hope this can help some of us.

- Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
16" Chrome lined barrel, 1:9 twist, Hogue grip, NM two stage trigger, 6-position stock, Aimpoint RDS Reddot, KAC mount
Old 01-05-2007, 15:09   #3
noway

good point and good post.

Going back to closed post the gun strap to the glove box is just silly and stupid. And nowhere as cwl or non-cwl could you get away with it.

I think alot of people are not seeing the wording of "concealed". As yes that mean concealed for a CWL licensee or not.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 16:33   #4
Dandapani

I asked the mod gods to make this thread sticky! Nice work!
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 16:46   #5
fcfc

Good post, J Crew.

Here are a couple of things to consider. First, Jon Gutmacher indicates (p.72) that it would be legal to have a gun in the car "wihin reach, under a towel... No, it doesn't have to be in a holster!"

Second, I do recall that "securely encased" does not mean that the holster, if used, must be a snapped holster.

Last, and very minor, is that "Statue" should be "Statute" in 3 places.

Good work, JC, and thanks!
fcfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 17:09   #6
Notrega

Include this section -
When in doubt check the statutes -

Definitions

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

*snapped in a holster;
*in a zippered gun case;
*or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Anything * is good no matter the location. Snapped in a holster under the seat meets the statute requirements for securely encased.

Other Relevant statutes -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carry something with these statute numbers on you in some form or memorize them...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:34   #7
Rusty Shackleford
mmhmm

Quote:
This means one must have the firearm securely incased and the firearm must be out of reach (immediate use). Good example for Non-CWL holders is a gun in a snapped holster and placed in an enclosed glovebox.
I'm going to have to take issue with the first "AND" in that quote. A firearm transported in a car in either condition is legal and both do not need to be met.

Loaded, in the glove box (unlocked or locked) is legal, permit or no permit. This is spelled out in the law.

Loaded, somewhere in the vehicle that requires you to exit the vehicle to retrieve it and use it is also legal, permit or no permit. This is not really spelled out in the law, but there is plenty of case law on it.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:55   #8
Gmountain

Re: Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by J Crew
For Non-CWL holders:

Statute 790.25

This means one must have the firearm securely incased and the firearm must be out of reach (immediate use). Good example for Non-CWL holders is a gun in a snapped holster and placed in an enclosed glovebox.
Error. A gun for non CCW people does not need to be snapped in a holster AND in a glove box. One or the other is all that is required.

Quote:
For CWL holders (supercedes Statute 790.25):

Statute 790.001

This means the gun can be readily accessible as long as it is encased. An example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in a snapped holster in the center console next to them. Another example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in an enclosed container with a lid on ones lap. Both of these examples are legal as long as they are not in ordinary sight, but may not always be the best choice.
Absolutely, completely, wrong.You have to learn to read all sections of a statute, and apply them together. 790.25 clearly states that carrying in a car without a ccw will not cause a person to be in violation of 790.01.

790.01 states:
790.01 Carrying concealed weapons.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) A person who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) This section does not apply to a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm pursuant to the provisions of s. 790.06.

Quote:
Remember to think in advance what will occur if you happen to run into a law enforcement officer. Will the carry method in your vehicle, although legal, cause uneccessary stress to you, others, and/or an officer? Could you land yourself behind the barrel of a loaded police gun and/or in jail? As stated in the Cop Talk forums, not all police are up to speed on concealed carry laws and CWL carry methods. These are things you always want to take into consideration.
So you are saying that following the law is wrong. No offense, but you are nuts. I carry all the time, and my gun is in a holster on my hip. According to your logic I should remove my gun from my holster and put in in a glove box.

That is not how the law is written, nor is that the intent. The rules on concealed carry in a vehicle specifically exempt CCW holders from those rules for the very reason that permit holders have concealed weapons and they keep those weapons readily accessible. That is the whole point of the law.

The misinformation in your post could endanger someone's life by causing them not to be able to get to their firearm.
Quote:
For All, as described in Statute 790.001 that applies to everyone:

Simply means keep the gun out of sight for others to see. [/B]
Well, you did get that part right.

Last edited by Gmountain; 01-06-2007 at 07:16..
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 13:33   #9
J Crew
Family Man

Re: Re: Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmountain
Error. A gun for non CCW people does not need to be snapped in a holster AND in a glove box. One or the other is all that is required.

Absolutely, completely, wrong.You have to learn to read all sections of a statute, and apply them together. 790.25 clearly states that carrying in a car without a ccw will not cause a person to be in violation of 790.01.

790.01 states:
790.01 Carrying concealed weapons.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (4), a person who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) A person who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) This section does not apply to a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm pursuant to the provisions of s. 790.06.

So you are saying that following the law is wrong. No offense, but you are nuts. I carry all the time, and my gun is in a holster on my hip. According to your logic I should remove my gun from my holster and put in in a glove box.

That is not how the law is written, nor is that the intent. The rules on concealed carry in a vehicle specifically exempt CCW holders from those rules for the very reason that permit holders have concealed weapons and they keep those weapons readily accessible. That is the whole point of the law.

The misinformation in your post could endanger someone's life by causing them not to be able to get to their firearm.

Well, you did get that part right.
this is a reference and the law is not black and white. that was the reason i wrote this up. i gave examples and didn't say 'this' or 'that' had to been done. plus i was using the sections of the statutes that applied. i linked the statutes so others could read everything else on their own time. sit down, breathe, and chill out and maybe you won't come off like a big ass

Old 01-06-2007, 15:51   #10
Gmountain

Re: Re: Re: Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

Quote:
this is a reference and the law is not black and white. that was the reason i wrote this up. i gave examples and didn't say 'this' or 'that' had to been done. plus i was using the sections of the statutes that applied. i linked the statutes so others could read everything else on their own time. sit down, breathe, and chill out and maybe you won't come off like a big ass
The law is very clear on this issue, and is not subject to interpretation. You have posted sections of the statutes, but have completely misinterpreted them. A "reference" that is erroneous does not help anyone.

Giving the correct information may save someone's life.
Old 01-06-2007, 15:55   #11
J Crew
Family Man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by Gmountain
The law is very clear on this issue, and is not subject to interpretation. You have posted sections of the statutes, but have completely misinterpreted them. A "reference" that is erroneous does not help anyone.

Giving the correct information may save someone's life.
lol, there's always one that never seems to get it. have a good one brother.

Old 01-06-2007, 17:54   #12
noway

I have to agree with gmountain your posting and information is wrong or not 100% correct whatever way you want to take it

I also agreed you have to read the whole reference vrs selectively taking out what you think is all you need.

{This means the gun can be readily accessible as long as it is encased. An example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in a snapped holster in the center console next to them. Another example would be for a CWL holder to have a gun in an enclosed container with a lid on ones lap. Both of these examples }

btw I got a kick out of the CCW-holder have to have a gun holster and in a center console example, man that was hilarious

jcrew one question for you, did you take a CCW class and if you did and your instructor gave you this erronous information, please go back an demand your money back.

Also pls do us all a favor and post his name/location so I can make sure not to reccommend any of my friends to him.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 18:23   #13
J Crew
Family Man

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
btw I got a kick out of the CCW-holder have to have a gun holster and in a center console example, man that was hilarious
learn to read. i never typed 'have to have' anything in my example. that's my point, it's just a scenerio that's legal.

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
jcrew one question for you, did you take a CCW class and if you did and your instructor gave you this erronous information, please go back an demand your money back.

Also pls do us all a favor and post his name/location so I can make sure not to reccommend any of my friends to him.
i got the information from others on this forum. yes i tood a class, but my instructor informed us that we had to follow a 3-step rule. i've since learned there is no 3-step rule. everything that i summurized in this thread was taken from other members help, advice, and guidance.

btw, as stated before. this is a reference to start from. it's not written in stone. constructive criticism is welcome, being an jerk is not. i'll end by saying, i don't like to spend my time bickering on forums, so i'm done responding to comments that are 'holier than thou' and not constructive.

Old 01-06-2007, 18:34   #14
Gmountain

Quote:
This is meant for a reference for Floridians or others passing through. Please, if you see an error or mis-spelling then let me know so that I can correct it. If you think there should be other examples used then please suggest those as well. Thanks and hope this can help some of us.

- Jason
This is your post. You asked for errors to be pointed out. The errors have been pointed out, by Rusty Shackleford, Noway, and myself, and you have decided to argue about them.

The problem is your initial post, while well intentioned, is full of errors and misinformation. If you rewrite it and correct it, I'm sure it can become a valuable resource.
Old 01-06-2007, 19:06   #15
Notrega

Quote:
everything that i summurized in this thread was taken from other members help, advice, and guidance.

Just read the frigging statutes... it is very clear.... that is why I almost never 'interpret' just post the quote from the statute and provide a link....

example - this shows that it is legal to possess a concealed firearm with in a car, provided it is either securely encased or not readily accessible for immediate use -
Quote:
790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
NOW here comes tricky part...
Private conveyance = car (very little interpretation)
Securely encased & not readily accessible for immediate use = (LOADS of interpretation) so HERE is where you provide further information in a similar format... see below....
--------------------------------------------------------

*snapped in a holster;
*in a zippered gun case;

Last edited by Notrega; 01-06-2007 at 19:15..
Notrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 19:29   #16
SW.FLA.glocker

Send a message via Yahoo to SW.FLA.glocker

Statute 790.25

quote:
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.

"This means one must have the firearm securely incased and the firearm must be out of reach (immediate use). Good example for Non-CWL holders is a gun in a snapped holster and placed in an enclosed glovebox."

After posting the statute you then follow up by replacing the word "or" with the word "and". that effectively changes the entire meaning. the weapon need to be "securely encased" OR "otherwise not readily accessible". the word "or" in my opinion implies you can do either but are not required to do both. Also as per the statute, a snapped holster is considered securely encased.

This is my understanding. If i am misunderstanding anything would a smarter person please explain why I am wrong?

Last edited by SW.FLA.glocker; 01-06-2007 at 19:31..
SW.FLA.glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 19:39   #17
J Crew
Family Man

Quote:
Originally posted by SW.FLA.glocker
Statute 790.25

quote:

"This means one must have the firearm securely incased and the firearm must be out of reach (immediate use). Good example for Non-CWL holders is a gun in a snapped holster and placed in an enclosed glovebox."

After posting the statute you then follow up by replacing the word "or" with the word "and". that effectively changes the entire meaning. the weapon need to be "securely encased" OR "otherwise not readily accessible". the word "or" in my opinion implies you can do either but are not required to do both. Also as per the statute, a snapped holster is considered securely encased.

This is my understanding. If i am misunderstanding anything would a smarter person please explain why I am wrong?
i agree... making correction.

Old 01-06-2007, 19:58   #18
SW.FLA.glocker

I hope others chime in and give their opinions. It is always good to have more than one, two, or three.
Old 01-06-2007, 20:03   #19
Gmountain

Quote:
Originally posted by SW.FLA.glocker
Statute 790.25

quote:

You have it right. One way to make a weapon not readily accessible is to have it securely encased.
Old 01-06-2007, 20:09   #20
SW.FLA.glocker

So we are all in agreement??

A person needs not to be licensed, and can carry in a car in a snapped holster and still be legal.

Next question; can it be concealed or does it need to be in plain view?