GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-17-2009, 18:50   #176
James Markov

Anybody shoot the Federal "Spitfire" round?-I saw it for sale at Gander Mountain.
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:08   #177
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Yea, but the concept is still a valid one-economically priced guns/ammo for defensive purposes. And the .22 rimfire fits that description...
Let's not forget in these days of ammo shortages, and possible future ammo taxes or bans, having a rimfire weapon that can be used for defensive purposes is a wise move. I have this in mind when buying guns to pass down to my kids. Who knows what the gun landscape will be in 10 to 20 years from now. 9mm and 45 might be restricted like it is in South America, or it might be very expensive to buy. If ammo prices double, or even triple tomorrow, most people could still afford to buy a box of .22 ammo.

One thing I'm also seeing is a resurgence of .22lr firearms in gun stores. right now people either cannot afford or cannot find enough centerfire ammo to shoot on a regular basis.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 15:13   #178
K-DOG

I am late to this thread... but basically what others have said...

I have done more shooting with my .22lr guns the past year cause of the economy and just shortage of 9mm, .40 and .45. So I know I can place the rounds where needed.

I have no illusion of stopping power, I would grab just about anything in my safe before a .22lr.

But if it is all I had or all my wife would be willing to shoot I would not feel too undergunned.
Old 05-04-2009, 16:22   #179
Varghedne

If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.
Varghedne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:41   #180
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedne View Post
If a.22 was the only firearm I had for home defence it would still be my backup. My primary would be my machete.
I don't know... using the .22 repeatedly until they are within machete-range would probably make them easier to hit with the machete.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32   #181
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varghedne View Post

Can we add this to the dumb comment thread

At an distance, you would be gunned down with a hail of .22lr rounds to your head and chest, while you hold that machete. One .22 round from a cheap revolver to the head for Brady, a machete would not have helped him either.

Rimfire Forum
Old 05-06-2009, 19:50   #182
bob_fuller

it might work, but i'd still reach for the 12 gauge any day.
bob_fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:51   #183
Blast
'nuff said

With .22, head and groin area are best targets. Head for obvious reason, and groin because of the concentration of major blood vessels and nervous system.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58   #184
Billet

We used to keep the P22 loaded with Stingers close at hand when Mrs. Billet wasn't experienced enough to rely on our 9mm. A .22 is very controllable during rapid fire, and putting ten rounds inside a very small vital area is not too tough for a good shooter. One round of .22 might not stop someone, but getting peppered by ten well-placed Stingers is a different story.
Billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 21:28   #185
joedapro

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?

practice your jam clearing skills. the reason for the 25 auto was not better balistics. it was far more reliable.

i would not use a rimfire for self defense. i compete in rimfire matches and there are many alibies for ammo failure compared to almost none for centerfire ammo.
joedapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:57   #186
James Markov

Are the alibies for jamming, ammo failure, or something else? Curious...I know Cci Minimags are a reliable round...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24   #187
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedapro View Post
practice your jam clearing skills. the reason for the 25 auto was not better balistics. it was far more reliable.

i would not use a rimfire for self defense. i compete in rimfire matches and there are many alibies for ammo failure compared to almost none for centerfire ammo.

You got to quit shooting such cheap ammo.

I coach junior rifle teams and I can't remember seeing a misfire from a round of Wolf or Eley .22LR ammo. That's 16 kids each firing about 5,000 rounds a year for the last 8 years. Now the beginner kids shooting the cheap stuff, I see quite a few.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:22   #188
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
You got to quit shooting such cheap ammo.

I coach junior rifle teams and I can't remember seeing a misfire from a round of Wolf or Eley .22LR ammo. That's 16 kids each firing about 5,000 rounds a year for the last 8 years. Now the beginner kids shooting the cheap stuff, I see quite a few.
Are those on the same guns? I'm told that some competition rimfire guns have the striker hitting the rim in 2 places, to reduce the probability of the striker hitting a gap in the priming....

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 20:20   #189
James Markov

Ely priming is more reliable so I have heard
Old 07-02-2009, 18:47   #190
pmwglock19

There was a youtube video showing someone shooting a 10/22 in the house thru a couple of phonebooks. There was definitely enough penetration that it could be used for HD. But in my opnion, no matter what you shoot: placement, placement, placement is what counts.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 00:17   #191
ATL Peach Girl
♥Meezers♥

I have a Walther P-22 and I do have some "varmit" ammo for it, the kick is notably stronger with the varmit stuff in it. I think it is CCI Mini-mags........I'd have to look at the box again.

I also have a .25 Phoenix Arms Raven.......

Can someone verse me in this "stinger" ammo for the P-22??
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22   #192
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Are those on the same guns? I'm told that some competition rimfire guns have the striker hitting the rim in 2 places, to reduce the probability of the striker hitting a gap in the priming....
Firing pins only hit in one place on target rifles that I have seen.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:10   #193
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Peach Girl View Post
I have a Walther P-22 and I do have some "varmit" ammo for it, the kick is notably stronger with the varmit stuff in it. I think it is CCI Mini-mags........I'd have to look at the box again.

I also have a .25 Phoenix Arms Raven.......

Can someone verse me in this "stinger" ammo for the P-22??
Stinger is a brand name for a hypervelocity round made by CCI. They typically come in blue plastic boxes of 50. The brass casing is slightly extended and the bullet is shorter (29gr I believe instead of the normal 40gr) to make the opverall length of the entire round the same as a typical 22lr.

My philosophy is not to use lightweight "varmit" rounds like Stingers or Quick-Shok for home defense. I don't think they would have enough penetration to reliably reach vital organs in a human. They are made for violent expansion to blow up in very small animals. If I had to use a .22 for home defense I would use CCI Velocitors. They are the most powerful .22lr rounds available with a full weight hollowpoint bullet.

CCI mini-mags (btw they aren't "varmit ammo") would be my next choice for HD. Not only are they also more powerful than most (just not as much as the Velocitors) but also because CCI is a top notch manufacturer and their ammo is much more reliable (fewer "duds") than other brands IMO.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:58   #194
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26man View Post
Stinger is a brand name for a hypervelocity round made by CCI. They typically come in blue plastic boxes of 50. The brass casing is slightly extended and the bullet is shorter (29gr I believe instead of the normal 40gr) to make the opverall length of the entire round the same as a typical 22lr.

My philosophy is not to use lightweight "varmit" rounds like Stingers or Quick-Shok for home defense. I don't think they would have enough penetration to reliably reach vital organs in a human. They are made for violent expansion to blow up in very small animals. If I had to use a .22 for home defense I would use CCI Velocitors. They are the most powerful .22lr rounds available with a full weight hollowpoint bullet.

CCI mini-mags (btw they aren't "varmit ammo") would be my next choice for HD. Not only are they also more powerful than most (just not as much as the Velocitors) but also because CCI is a top notch manufacturer and their ammo is much more reliable (fewer "duds") than other brands IMO.

Another point to make for Stingers is that, for myself at least, they tend to be very reliable in the semi-autos I've used (of course, YMMV). I don't know if it's because Stingers run "hotter" than your typical .22 LR's, or it's an inherent indication of quality in the CCI brand (as referenced by G26man's comment), or both.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:30   #195
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Another point to make for Stingers is that, for myself at least, they tend to be very reliable in the semi-autos I've used (of course, YMMV). I don't know if it's because Stingers run "hotter" than your typical .22 LR's, or it's an inherent indication of quality in the CCI brand (as referenced by G26man's comment), or both.
It's both. Hotter ammo like stingers or even mini-mags are also good to break in a new semi-auto with. Sometimes new guns need to be worn in before they will cycle normal bulk pack ammo reliably. Some guns have actions that are so stiff or rough due to poor engineering or manufacturing that they won't reliably cycle with normal ammo even after break in and you always have to pay for mini-mags or something even more expensive / powerful.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
Old 07-06-2009, 12:43   #196
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

I would go with CCI Velocitor over Stingers. Stingers' Hollowpoint does work well in that they do mushroom, but at a cost of limited penetration. Goldenloki did gel test using a Taurus Pt-22 pocket gun and got full expansion to .357" but only got 6.9" of penetration. The Walther P22's barrel is about 3/4" longer than a PT22 so you might get slightly better results.
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/22lr/gel22lr.htm

Here is a good Walther P22 Gel Test. Except for walmart bulkbox everything exceeded the FBI 12" gel penetration test.
http://www.brassfetcher.com/WaltherP22test.html
Old 07-06-2009, 16:39   #197
G26man
OBEY ME!

Hey Peachie, do you know where I can get a bumper sticker of your avatar? If not do you have a higher res version? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:07   #198
mac66
Plant the seed

This thread is now 34 months old.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38   #199
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
This thread is now 34 months old.

Ah -- but the .22 rimfire is timeless...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45   #200
Cruiser702

If you like CCI Stinger and Velocitor rounds check out the new Winchester Super-X HYPER Speed HP load.
Cruiser702 is offline   Reply With Quote