Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:15   #121
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzGren View Post
I know but we have trouble of our own here, too. I want to move farther north again.

The NRA is our only friend in our preservation of firearms and self defense rights.
Don't forget GOA. They are our friends too.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31   #122
James Markov

I picked up a box of .22 rimfire Remington Vipers at Dicks Sporting Goods recently and am curious if anybody here has taken small game with this particular round?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:28   #123
James Markov

One more comment i'd like to make is the number of people I have met recently who have a .22 rifle loaded with 40 grain lead(usually Remington Thunderbolts, or bulk pack stuff) behind the door as an emergency item. A lot of these friends of mine might own a 9mm Hi-Point, or a single shot 12/20 gauge, or a used Ruger 9mm but the majority have 22 rifles, occasionally a .22 pistol, and pump shotguns/single shot's too. I think we members here on these forums are much better armed than most folks out there.
I have seen this guy use a .22 rifle and pop a groundhog in a second-and their neighbor(Hampton Inn, which is in a semi rural setting) was none the wiser. He was in a technically rural enviroment and he had a 80 room hotel 200 feet next to him. My point in my rambles is this-the rimfire is what people end up using in a suprising number of defensive encounters. We all agree its not the best round out there, but where I live, most folks can afford to buy the gun(s), buy the ammo, and actually hit what target they are aiming at. Just some musings thats all...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:52   #124
James Markov

I am going to try some CCI Velocitors this weekend out of a Ruger 10/22-if the weather holds out. I will look at penetration, accuracy, etc. These rounds can smack HARD for a .22 rimfire...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20   #125
edrobert

Having a gun and being able to hit what you're aiming at several times in quick succession is what's most important to me. Had my sister try many different pistols & revolvers for a first gun and she settled on a P22. I wanted her to get something bigger, but felt that in the end it was more important that she had something she was VERY confident with and could make several accurate shots in succession with.....we'll work on moving up in caliber with more training.
Old 03-28-2008, 00:59   #126
bunganga

Excuse me guys, but has anybody had any experience using CCI Quick-shoks? Supposedly, these are like Stingers that are pre-fragmented into 3 sections.

Thanks!
bunganga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 18:58   #127
willw118

Want a new .22LR Pistol

CCI Velositors sounds great. Now I want a new .22 Handgun. Berretta 21A, Walther P22, Or the Firestorm 22 ? I have a Buckmark, a Tauras 94. I had a Ruger and didn't like it.
Old 03-31-2008, 19:38   #128
edrobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunganga View Post
Excuse me guys, but has anybody had any experience using CCI Quick-shoks? Supposedly, these are like Stingers that are pre-fragmented into 3 sections.

Thanks!
Great concept, but best left for small game. Not nearly enough penetration to be remotely effective for SD.
Old 03-31-2008, 23:00   #129
chomann

I have an old 1976 Ruger new model single six... In a true SHTF situation its the first gun i pack up, 22lr ammo is everywhere, a 22lr is better to hunt small game with than a .40, and in an extreme situation you can walk up on the target and with proper shot placement obtain their firearms... also with its heavy construction and 5.5 inch barel you could literally beat the crap out of someone, after shooting then 6 times and never drop one casing!... the 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time
Old 04-02-2008, 10:35   #130
James Markov

Here's a link to various .22 rimfire preformance including the round you mentioned(Quick-Shok) out of a "mouse gun"
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm
Old 04-15-2008, 09:58   #131
khillery
krunchnticker

.22 rf as a hog load

When I was fifteen back on the farm, a thin, sick pig had to be put down. He weighed about thirty five pounds. At fifteen feet with winchester HP .22 I shot him broadside into the classic lung area behind the front leg. I expected him to drop on the spot with my knowledge at the time.
He however then began running frantically in circles in great distress as you can imagine and a half dozen hits later he was still on his feet until a spine shot quieted him enough for me to then humanely dispatch the poor critter.
I am sorry that I ever experimented on a defensless live animal.
I hunt now, with revolvers, but I "use enough gun" and the proper distance and loads to take the game for food in a merciful fashion.
Hopefully the sight of a weapon would deter a home invader and that none of us ever has to face a decision like that.
Old 04-15-2008, 22:09   #132
James Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomann View Post
I have an old 1976 Ruger new model single six... In a true SHTF situation its the first gun i pack up, 22lr ammo is everywhere, a 22lr is better to hunt small game with than a .40, and in an extreme situation you can walk up on the target and with proper shot placement obtain their firearms... also with its heavy construction and 5.5 inch barel you could literally beat the crap out of someone, after shooting then 6 times and never drop one casing!... the 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time
You're probably the kind of guy who can hit a quarter with that old Ruger at 25 paces
Old 07-14-2008, 21:53   #133
James Markov

Anybody have 2 inch barrel rimfire revolver pics?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:22   #134
mossy500camo
ammo found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
You need a real gun in 9mm/38 special or larger. Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. It could very well kill them but I doubt it would stop them with anything less than a perfect shot to the CNS.
Pat

Im laughing my ass off at some of the replies. I have heard more tales of the lowly .22lr being used in SD situations than any other caliber out there. And None that I have heard was You got to hit them in the eye man!

Question Would anyone here want to be shot with a .22lr.. I didnt think so!

I had an older gent tell me that his .22lr revolver was like an extended Ice Pick. Would anyone like to be jabbed with an Ice pick.. Ouch! Aim for the head, center of chest.

The .22lr can and will kill an attacker. So might as well aim for the kill or you will be paying for your attackers disabilities for the rest of your life.
mossy500camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54   #135
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy500camo View Post
Im laughing my ass off at some of the replies. I have heard more tales of the lowly .22lr being used in SD situations than any other caliber out there. And None that I have heard was You got to hit them in the eye man!
That was pretty funny.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46   #136
mossy500camo
ammo found

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
That was pretty funny.

Stick in their ear is even funnier.

and a .45 is the ultimate manstopper. I know a guy that was shot 7 times and is still alive to tell about it. Now thats funny.

Last edited by mossy500camo; 07-17-2008 at 12:49..
mossy500camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54   #137
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I've seen several people killed by .22. Not the round I'd pick but if it's what's at hand, use it. A 16-round string out of a Marlin Model 60 is better than harsh words, but if I had a choice, any service-caliber pistol, or even better, 12ga or 5.56mm.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:21   #138
bamarammin87
h8tr

Yea. I believe that .22 would do the trick, but I'd rather put 7.62 in em. Or buckshot.
bamarammin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 22:22   #139
James Markov

Just picked up a 2 inch Taurus .22 revolver-I love it!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:14   #140
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Just picked up a 2 inch Taurus .22 revolver-I love it!!!

If you get a chance, shoot some rounds over a chrono and post the results.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote