GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2008, 23:50   #101
James Markov

With all centerfire ammo just jumping in price again, rimfires are what I shoot most now-and the Federal Bulk pack just went up a couple bucks. One day in the not too distant future, we will all be forced to shoot less rounds/less often due to the cost...
I think the fact that this is a rimfire forum means not too many of us here will rip on the .22 rimfire too badly, thus this thread tends to have people chew over ideas, and not each other as much.

Last edited by James Markov; 01-16-2008 at 23:52..
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:01   #102
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

CCI Stingers and Mini-Mags expanded larger and penetrated deeper out of my Walther P22 than my buddy's NAA Guardian .32 did with several types of ammo. The .32's didn't expand at all actually. Granted, we were shooting water jugs and thats not the same as ballistic gel or flesh, but the .22s expanded lager than the case width of the .32 and penetrated +1 jug of water more. I can't say that these pistols were a good test either since the barrels are so short but I wouldn't be scared to defend my home with just a .22 pistol.
Old 01-18-2008, 00:39   #103
James Markov

That was a well balanced report...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:12   #104
Spydermonkey
in ur rearview

Yeah well I was 3 sheets but I think I made some sort of point. Maybe?
Old 01-20-2008, 00:30   #105
James Markov

Three sheets? Do you mean this maybe?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:48   #106
cphilip

...a 24-year-old man named Sirhan Sirhan stepped in front of the Senator and reportedly exclaimed "Kennedy, you son of a *****!" before firing an eight shot, .22 caliber Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver

That was Robert Kennedy. He was hit twice in the back and once behind the ear.
Old 01-26-2008, 16:54   #107
John NYPD
NRA Life Member

Not a big fan of using the .22 as a defense round.

I would not want to be on the business end of my Ruger Mark2. Loaded with 10 rounds of hollowpoints.

I rather use one of my center fire guns...but if all I had was a .22 . I could do O.K

John
John NYPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 23:11   #108
James Markov

Took another walk thru the ammo department at WalMart and still shook my head at the big jump in the prices...Even CCI Stingers went up...
Old 01-30-2008, 17:33   #109
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

sorry, made two entry's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 01-30-2008 at 21:59.. Reason: double tap.. sorry
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 17:56   #110
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Hmmmm, I seem to recall a guy named John Hinckly who knocked down a secret service agent, a cop, scrambled James Brady's brain, and nearly killed President Reagan with a 22 revolver.

Another fairly famous case was 10 year old kid who shot two intruders with a 22 rifle. They broke into his rural home while his parents were away. Both died and they made a movie out of it.

I investigated an accidental shooting back in the 1970s. A guy who was about 6'6" and about 300lbs was accidently shot by his mother with a 22 rifle. She picked it up by the grip with her finger in the trigger guard and swung it his way to hand it to him. He yelled which startled her. She squeezed and shot him in the upper right chest. He told me it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat. It knocked him flat and punctured a lung. He was lucky to survive.

Also was part of a task force back in the 70s looking for a guy who used a 22 rifle (Marlin 60) to hunt and kill 4 people. He would wait down the block and when they came out in the morning he would put one bullet in their head. 4 shots, 4 kills.

Two other experiences with 22s. One of the guys on our plaincloths surveillance team carried a Sterling model 302 in 22lr in his pocket as a backup. We were eating in a coffee shop early one morning when he reached into his right front pocket to get change for a tip. His pistol went off shooting himself in the left thigh. The bullet barely missed his femoral artery and left burns and powder tatoos on his *****. It also set his pants on fire which burned some pubic hair. It was kinda funny afterward.

Last story. One of our guys stopped a guy walking down the street near a drug house. It was winter and the guy had a large BDU feild jacket on. As our office approached the guy had a NAA mini revolver in his hand which was covered by his sleave. He shot our guy in the face hitting him in the upper cheek, just below the left eye. It knocked him down but the officer drew his gun when he hit ground and shot the guy in the shin. Backup officers killed the guy as he was trying to recock the little single action. The officer survived but had a broken cheek, damaged nerves in his face and lost the hearing in one ear since the bullet lodged in the ear canal.

Moral to all these stories...a 22 will hurt you, and you really need to avoid being shot with anything.

You are absolutely right..."A 22 will hurt you..."
I will add, will kill you, if placed properly, as "with any gun."

I am answering (for me), NO, IMO, to this threads' question.."does anyone use a 22for home SD..?" Because I do not think it wise for a home SD gun. That is why I have a 18" 12ga. coachgun, with #1 Buck in it, and then a 6 shot 45LC Ruger, hangin on the bed post.

BUT....... I have a thread over here some where as well, about the NAA 22 min mag revolver. That little guy stuffed with 22 MAGS, CCI maxi mag +V, comes out of the 1 5/8" tube at 1100/1200 fps, and is a great real deep cover, last ditch weapon for SD. One to the head is lights out time. A few inches over on the dear officer you mentioned, and that would have been it for him, most likely.
Thank God he is no worse off than what he is, but still hate to hear he was hurt at all......

22's can be bad news, I totaly agree... But not for in the dark in the house, night time "primary SD, to protect for the family guns."

A 12ga. will work even if you were shaking like a leaf, and at least pointed at the guy. I could not go the 22 route for night stand gun...

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by CanyonMan; 04-15-2008 at 12:57..
Old 01-31-2008, 23:19   #111
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Nice looking hawleg you got there CM.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 01-31-2008 at 23:22..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 17:43   #112
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Nice looking hawleg you got there CM.

Why thank ya, CB !

It is an old style Ruger Vaquero 45LC in a custom El Paso Saddlery double loop mexican holster. It is my slap on in the morning and 'go to work wear' also.

BTW... I like your John 3:16 put in there. We need more of this !
Without Jesus, I'm a dead man.

Appreciate it CB.
Good shooting.

CM

Last edited by CanyonMan; 02-01-2008 at 17:46.. Reason: compliment CB's John 3:16
Old 02-03-2008, 14:33   #113
James Markov

I have never fired a Ruger .45 colt single action revolver-how accurate are they? Also, do you have the Ruger 22/22magnum single six?
Old 02-03-2008, 17:53   #114
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
I have never fired a Ruger .45 colt single action revolver-how accurate are they? Also, do you have the Ruger 22/22magnum single six?

James, I had it all typed out for ya, and i pushed the wrong button and BAM, all my work disappeared ???

I'll try once more:

Yes the Ruger SS Combo is a great fun and very accurate gun to shoot. You will not be dissipointed.

As for the Ruger 45's. I prefer the "old style Vaquero," as shown in the pic hanging on the log bed post. It will handle all my load needs from puffy, to about 1300fps. It is my daily ranch carry wear, and usually has 300gr cast bullets in it, and one snake shot rd. It is tuned, (via front sight filing), to shoot this load of 1150fps, at point of aim at 25yds. It will shoot "very accurate", at extremely long ranges as well, I mean "very long." Once you have fired tons of rounds through it, and know wear to place the front blade.

Other ones are tuned for 250/260gr cast, BTW, all these cast are 21BHN hardness, hardly a drop of fouling. Most all my Rugers in any given caliber, will shoot POA at 25, and all stay in a literal poker Chip size. Again, accuracy, at ranges I will not mention here, so i am not called a liar by some one, and then we got trouble, are very good as well.

James the guns mentioned here, the Old style Vaquero, my favorite, and the Black Hawk, and even the New Vaquero, (the latter will only allow for 22,000psi = 1,000/1050fps). All these will shoot very accurately. The BH has a rear adjustable sight. The other two do not, and look more like the original Colt SAA, in design. Out of the box, with no cylinder, or throat work, before any of that, I have still had very good accuracy, "although," some of this MAY need to be done to your particular gun to bring the groups n tighter... no big cost, no big deal.... I been shooting the Rugers in their various forms and calibers for well over three decades, I am very pleased.

Hope this answers your questions.

Get one that will meet your shooting needs, and don't worry about it... They are built to last!

Since this is a 22cal thread I willadd the Bearcat is a great 22, as well as is the single six, and the semi auto's as well. Love the bearcat!

Good shooting

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 04-15-2008 at 12:57..
Old 02-03-2008, 22:13   #115
CajunBass

I had one of those "Old Vaquero"'s in 45 Colt, years ago but like the numbskull I can be at times, I traded it off, unfired if I remember correctly.

I hate to think about the gun's I've had.
Old 02-04-2008, 14:31   #116
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Yep, you should not have done that one... But, I been there and done that my self.

CM

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27   #117
CajunBass

Awww shoot. You haven't heard the sad part.

I got that Vaquero to go with a Bianchi "John Wayne" commerative holster I had. Well, the Ruger was too big for the holster so I got rid of the Ruger and got a Mitchell Arms SAA in 45 Colt. I didn't and still don't know a thing about Mitchell Arms, but the gun seemed to be well made and it sure looked good in that holster. I never fired it, and got it only to use as a prop in the JW holster.

I don't have either the Mitchell or the holster today.

I have been SO fickle when it comes to guns.

On the other hand. I have had a lot of guns.
Old 02-21-2008, 22:29   #118
James Markov

Anyway how much are CCI Stingers these days(after the Wal-Mart price increases)?
Old 02-21-2008, 23:47   #119
sgtslwilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvo View Post
vafish you must have read the ramblings of Ayoob and the vertues of the little TP22 also I bought mine early in 86 and got pretty good with it, it quickly became a back up gun then glove box duty. Sits in the safe now, guess I better go shoot it one of these days.
A .22 is 100% better than nothing. Practice often and shoot for the CPU

Rimfire Forum

wow, that looks very "Makarov-ee"

I want one. Where do I get one?

Kel-Tec Talk member# 1

Join the fun!

sgtslwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:22   #120
James Markov

You can get a Firestorm .22 I believe much easier-one of the posts here has one pictured...he carries it as a woods bumming gun.