SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2011, 18:35   #451
deputy tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
The Nylon 66 was my first rifle. It was a good light weight all weather packing gun that is for sure. I carried that gun with me on more than a few hikes as a young guy.
One of the best .22 rifles ever made.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus ceòl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 18:43   #452
mongo1958
Mongo1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self-defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?
For home defense...I would rather have a 12 ga shot gun. If I could not get to the 12 ga, I would go for my 45 ACP or my G22 or my 357.

Additionally, if I were a bad guy, I would not want to get shot by anyone or anything!!!

Just how I see it
Your brother in Christ
Van
mongo1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 19:15   #453
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

After seeing what a 22lr stinger would do to a grape fruit out of my 22/45 MK III I wouldn't feel extremely underpowered in a Home Defence situation with it.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 23:36   #454
Ak.Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post
And so light and handy in the field. I gave mine to my oldest son.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 17:43   #455
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy tom View Post

I am a bit partial to them myself

Rimfire Forum
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09   #456
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRoderX View Post
After seeing what a 22lr stinger would do to a grape fruit out of my 22/45 MK III I wouldn't feel extremely underpowered in a Home Defence situation with it.
Yea that is fine if you are worried about grapefruit attacking you. But if your worried about humans the .22 lr is a stupid choice for home defense.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53   #457
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
Yea that is fine if you are worried about grapefruit attacking you. But if your worried about humans the .22 lr is a stupid choice for home defense.
Pat
Still better than a sharp stick.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56   #458
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Still better than a sharp stick.
Or even TWO sharp sticks...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21   #459
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Pat
22lr wouldn't be my first choice for self defence I say that up front. But I subscribe to the principle its not how big your bullet is, Its how you use it. A 10mm, 45, 44mag, 357mag, 500 S&W ain't worth anything if you cant hit your target.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:51   #460
JFrame

Quote:
22lr wouldn't be my first choice for self defence I say that up front. But I subscribe to the principle its not how big your bullet is, Its how you use it. A 10mm, 45, 44mag, 357mag, 500 S&W ain't worth anything if you cant hit your target.
Way back when, a SW 63 .22 kit gun was my nightstand piece, because it was one of two handguns I owned, and the one with which I could afford to practice regularly. Even after I got a couple of .45's, for awhile I still kept the. 22 on the stand, due to my confidence in being able to place those little pellets precisely where I wanted them.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:54   #461
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Or even TWO sharp sticks...

Or a Bo-Staff

Rimfire Forum
Old 02-26-2011, 13:36   #462
Calico Hunter
Vietnam Vet

These stories sound familiar. I can not get my wife to shoot anything bigger than a .22LR . . . She has her CCW License, and did her live-fire qualifying with her Sig-Sauer Mosquito (22LR). Ohio has a State mandated target for CCW qualification. She put 49 of 50 rounds into the required target ( about a 12 inch circle at 21 feet ). It is loaded with Stingers for carry. I wish she shot at least a 9mm, but I'm very glad she is comfortable and proficient with her Sig.

--------------------------------------------
“ If you wish for Peace, prepare for War “ by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (4<SUP>th</SUP> Century Italian)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Calico Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 13:45   #463
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Hunter View Post
These stories sound familiar. I can not get my wife to shoot anything bigger than a .22LR . . . She has her CCW License, and did her live-fire qualifying with her Sig-Sauer Mosquito (22LR). Ohio has a State mandated target for CCW qualification. She put 49 of 50 rounds into the required target ( about a 12 inch circle at 21 feet ). It is loaded with Stingers for carry. I wish she shot at least a 9mm, but I'm very glad she is comfortable and proficient with her Sig.

--------------------------------------------
“ If you wish for Peace, prepare for War “ by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (4<SUP>th</SUP> Century Italian)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
A can of pepper spray would be more effective in the short term.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 02-26-2011, 13:46   #464
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
If you can't hit your target with at least a 9mm you have no business carrying a gun.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 02-27-2011, 17:18   #465
wjv

Quote:
A can of pepper spray would be more effective in the short term.
if she can put a 49 of 50 rounds into a 12 inch circle at 21 feet, a can of pepper spray isn't going to do anything for her.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 18:56   #466
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
if she can put a 49 of 50 rounds into a 12 inch circle at 21 feet, a can of pepper spray isn't going to do anything for her.
I am sorry but that is pathetic. At 7 yards she should be able to put them all inside a nickel. A 12 inch group with a 22 lr under no stress at the range does not equate to being ready to defend herself with a firearm. The pepper spray will be easier for her to use and will more likely be noticed by the attacker than a small wound from a .22. If you seriously are planning on using a .22 for self defense you need to be able to quickly and accurately dump the entire mag into the head box. Not the head itself but the area between the nose and eyes.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 02-27-2011 at 19:25..
Old 02-27-2011, 19:26   #467
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Or a Bo-Staff

Rimfire Forum
At close range I would take a Bo-Staff over a .22 pistol.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 02-27-2011, 19:38   #468
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Pat

Ohhh Man that was funny

No wait...

Are you serious
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 19:47   #469
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post

Ohhh Man that was funny

No wait...

Are you serious
Yes as a cop I have seen people shot with small caliber pistols and its less than impressive. I have also seen the results of people hit with bags and 2x4's and it was far more effective. Seriously anyone considering the .22 for defense needs to have their head examined. The round was designed for target practice and small game hunting. It was not designed to stop lethal attacks from human attackers. You won't find any respectable firearms instructor recommend a .22 long rifle for self defense.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 02-27-2011 at 19:50..
Old 02-28-2011, 06:30   #470
Calico Hunter
Vietnam Vet

A LEO once told me that more peole are killed by .22's than any other bullet ! I'm sure that is some reflection of the vast number of 22 pistols, revolvers, and rifles that are out there being shot every day. The 9mm ranks second.

On a previous page - did yha see all those Nylon 66's - the "best" 22 rifle ever made .........

-----------------------------------------------------
Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club Member 68-69
“ If you wish for Peace, prepare for War “ by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (4<SUP>th</SUP> Century Italian)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:22   #471
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Hunter View Post
A LEO once told me that more peole are killed by .22's than any other bullet ! I'm sure that is some reflection of the vast number of 22 pistols, revolvers, and rifles that are out there being shot every day. The 9mm ranks second.

On a previous page - did yha see all those Nylon 66's - the "best" 22 rifle ever made .........

-----------------------------------------------------
Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club Member 68-69
“ If you wish for Peace, prepare for War “ by Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus (4<SUP>th</SUP> Century Italian)
Its true that the .22 has killed more people than any other rounds however the reason for that is more people own .22's than any other round. Another point is killing and stopping are two different concepts. Murdering someone by shooting them in the head when they are sleeping is not the same as stopping a violent attack from armed determined attacker.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51   #472
Calico Hunter
Vietnam Vet

Quote:
Its true that the .22 has killed more people than any other rounds however the reason for that is more people own .22's than any other round. Another point is killing and stopping are two different concepts. Murdering someone by shooting them in the head when they are sleeping is not the same as stopping a violent attack from armed determined attacker.
Pat
Point Taken !

But, I'd rather my wife had the comfort and confidence in using her Sig Mosquito, if needed, instead of a rolled up newspaper. And I doubt pepper spray is very effective half way across the house. With time, and patience, I hope to get her more comfortable shooting my G19 instead of the Mosquito.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:51   #473
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Pat
But, you are most likely a large male and can effectively use one as well as a large caliber pistol. Could a 95lb female do the same? Especially one who just will not make the effort to train effectively?

I introduced a friend's wife to shooting yesterday. She is very petite, thin as a rail, and not enamored with guns. She only did it to please him. He wants her to be able to defend herself when he is out of town, they live in a secluded place. She was "OK" with the Ruger 22/45, although even with that she was not having fun. She simply couldn't handle the Glock 22 w/9mm barrel (equivalent to a G17). That's a big gun in 9mm, doesn't kick much to me at all. I'm sure she could learn to handle something even more powerful if she had her mind in the right place, but I don't think she will ever seriously want to learn. People like that could at least use a .22 and not be scared of it.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:54   #474
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26man View Post
But, you are most likely a large male and can effectively use one as well as a large caliber pistol. Could a 95lb female do the same? Especially one who just will not make the effort to train effectively?

I introduced a friend's wife to shooting yesterday. She is very petite, thin as a rail, and not enamored with guns. She only did it to please him. He wants her to be able to defend herself when he is out of town, they live in a secluded place. She was "OK" with the Ruger 22/45, although even with that she was not having fun. She simply couldn't handle the Glock 22 w/9mm barrel (equivalent to a G17). That's a big gun in 9mm, doesn't kick much to me at all. I'm sure she could learn to handle something even more powerful if she had her mind in the right place, but I don't think she will ever seriously want to learn. People like that could at least use a .22 and not be scared of it.
I have trained a female officer who was 4 feet 8 inches tall and under 100 pounds to shoot a Kimber Warrior without a problem. A 9mm would have been a better choice for her but she wanted a .45 and she did fine with it. It simply does not take much to be able to fire a 9mm, 40sw, 45 acp well when it comes to size and strength. I like .22 pistols for starting people on but they are not to be used as actual defensive weapons.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 03-01-2011 at 06:55..
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15   #475
Calico Hunter
Vietnam Vet

The points regarding the use of a larger caliber weapon are well founded; and I support that concept. In addition, I strongly support the concept that accuracy and confidence are a vital and integral part of SD / HD. Until any shooter is capable of both, using a larger weapon, carry what you can reliable defend yourself with ......

Having said that, I will add: many many years ago, my brother-in-law shot an intruder with a .380 ( using HP's ) - twice in the chest from a distance of 3 feet. The intruder crawled away - the police picked him up one house away, out on the street. YEP ... bigger is better !