SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44   #281
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
With this economy, seems all folks can afford is a .22 to shoot a lot. Unless you go up to a 9mm which is the cheapestest centerfire gun to shoot IMO. As for a .22 we should shoot leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, and post expansion results. I would, but to post pics like that is beyond my technical pay grade.

Leftover turkey...?

Anorexic household...???

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:53   #282
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Leftover turkey...?

Anorexic household...???

Leftover turkey??? I did not know there was such a thing????

All joking aside, that would be an interesting way to observe the penetration and expansion, but dang, I love the food too much
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 22:05   #283
James Markov

I remember a web page where a guy shot a .22 at a turkey at hundreds of yards...anybody have the link here?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:26   #284
Scouse

Quote:
I remember a web page where a guy shot a .22 at a turkey at hundreds of yards...anybody have the link here?
I read it James, but can not remember where, one thing though, at 250 yds, through and through, and the bag of bits inside, still frozen.

Some one will help you out, I am sure.
Old 11-29-2009, 18:32   #285
KB_TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I read it James, but can not remember where, one thing though, at 250 yds, through and through, and the bag of bits inside, still frozen.

Some one will help you out, I am sure.
snipershide.com
KB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 19:25   #286
Iflyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that.

Why is a 22 no good in this situation? Did the BG see it was a 40 rather than a 22? If the BG sees a gun he/she will probably move out (like yours did). Caliber in your situation did not make a difference.
I agree that a lager round if actually fired, and a hit is actually made, is generally better than a smaller round. However, if some one is afraid of using a larger gun, a 22 that they are comfortable with and willing to use is perfect. Far better than a larger gun they cannot or will not use.
Old 12-02-2009, 14:26   #287
James Markov

Thanks for the link gents. I will look at that snipershide in a bit. Not to stray too far off topic, but I hear Keltec is coming out with a .22 magnum pistol with a 30 round magazine-that has cool written all over it!!!
http://www.keltecweapons.com/images/pmr-30.pdf
Old 12-02-2009, 14:53   #288
JFrame

Quote:
Thanks for the link gents. I will look at that snipershide in a bit. Not to stray too far off topic, but I hear Keltec is coming out with a .22 magnum pistol with a 30 round magazine-that has cool written all over it!!!

Sounds like a great idea and concept -- but I'll definitely wait for reliability reports to come out on this puppy! Those long, skinny, rimmed .22 magnum rounds have proven to be a challenge to more than a few semiauto actions...

--
Old 12-02-2009, 15:05   #289
James Markov

Me too...but a economical .22 magnum automatic sounds interesting...JM
Old 12-02-2009, 15:19   #290
JFrame

Quote:
Me too...but a economical .22 magnum automatic sounds interesting...JM

Definitely interesting -- I'm hoping Keltec has hit on a winning design!

--
Old 12-02-2009, 17:50   #291
Scouse

Swat Roundup.

Quote:
B&H Gunshop from Merritt Island is at the Roundup at Orange County's range, I will ask about that tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2009, 18:37   #292
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Sounds like they are going with a Grendel concept, but a new design. Hopefully this one works (as claimed) with a variety of ammunition, (unlike the Grendel which was optimized for a specific load and wouldn't cycle anything else).

I still think a 30-round .22LR pistol would be fun - and much cheaper to shoot.

I want one of these, though. Thanks. I hadn't seen it before.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:00   #293
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas357 View Post
Sounds like they are going with a Grendel concept, but a new design. Hopefully this one works (as claimed) with a variety of ammunition, (unlike the Grendel which was optimized for a specific load and wouldn't cycle anything else).

I still think a 30-round .22LR pistol would be fun - and much cheaper to shoot.

I want one of these, though. Thanks. I hadn't seen it before.
Keltec and Grendel is the same guy, George Kelgren. The new 22 mag is a redesign of the old Grendel P30.

Unfortunately, rimmed cartridges don't lend themselves well to be stacked higher than ten rounds which is why you rarely see stock guns with mags with more than that. After that you have to curve the magazine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 12-05-2009 at 12:04..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 13:51   #294
Faulkner
Patriot

I find the debate regarding a .22LR as an effective defense round interesting. In some circles it is still debated whether a .38 Special or 9mm have enough ummph to be an effective one shot stopper.
Old 12-05-2009, 20:31   #295
unit1069

I don't think .22lr is the optimum self-defense weapon. However it is a great caliber to introduce some people to shooting and it's been great in introducing my 14-year old daughter to self-defense.

She's not afraid of the .22lr and wants to shoot my 9mm again --- the pistol that made her flinch before I bought the Ruger Mark II.

And yes, any gun is better than no gun if and when a dangerous situation arises.
Old 12-05-2009, 20:56   #296
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I don't think .22lr is the optimum self-defense weapon. However it is a great caliber to introduce some people to shooting and it's been great in introducing my 14-year old daughter to self-defense.

She's not afraid of the .22lr and wants to shoot my 9mm again --- the pistol that made her flinch before I bought the Ruger Mark II.

And yes, any gun is better than no gun if and when a dangerous situation arises.
I concur 100%.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 21:40   #297
James Markov

Above all things the economical nature of the rimfire comes into play. With millions jobless, how can they afford target practice? Of course a .357 sig Glock 32 is ideal, but on most strained budgets, 100 rounds of .22 rimfire is the training budget for a lot of folks...
Old 12-13-2009, 03:30   #298
sfd_324

I personally see nothing wrong with a 22 as long as you are confident in your weapon.

Although i have some bigger firepower stashed around, the wife does not like the recoil.

I'd rather her shoot something she is good at hitting targets with than her shooting something she cant hit nothing with.

Last edited by sfd_324; 12-13-2009 at 09:34..
sfd_324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:37   #299
sfd_324

The funny thing is, all these people who think a 22 is not a sufficient round won't stand in front of you and let you shoot them with it.

Me personally, a gun is a gun..... you point a 22 or a 45 at me & it sends the same message.....This is fixing to hurt!!!!
sfd_324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 13:39   #300
Frog1

All midnight commando's need the most powerful weapon available. When it goes off, then everyone in the room is stunned and blinded. You better hope you hit whatever you fired at, because you are not going to get a second shot anyway.

The perfect home defense round is the .410 shotgun. Followed by the 20 ga shotgun. Followed by the .38 special followed by the .22 LR. If you think you are going to get into some kind of Steven Segal gunfight, then you are living in the wrong neigborhood. The 10/22 and Marlin 60 make execellant home defense weapons.
Frog1 is offline   Reply With Quote