Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2009, 17:13   #241
Brucev

I just now caught this thread. As far as a .22LR goes for SD/HD, if it is what you have on hand or can afford, use it. As a newly married student in seminary I worked as a security guard at night in a shipyard. I usually had no real problems getting intruders to leave the property. There was however one particularly bad incident during which several intruders opened fire on me. At the time, I had very little money. I bought and carried a good folding knife and a Ruger Mk. I loaded with HP ammo. I practiced shooting rats behind the work buildings. Since they seldom sat still, it forced me to get used to shooting fast. I got pretty good at hitting the things out to maybe 20-25 yds. Up close I think it would have been very effective on anyone who might have come at me. The pistol was what I planned to use if necessity demanded it. If the Ruger didn't settle things, I figured to use the knife. It is amazing what one can do with a good knife.

Both my wife and my daughters have learned to shoot handguns and rifles. My wife has learned to use even a .45 ACP effectively. She is comfortable with the Glock G-22 that we currently use for HD. My daughters are not wild about handguns, but both of them are extremely capable with a .22 LR revolver or pistol. A .22 LR handgun is not the ultimate SD/HD weapon. But it is a good choice for many who need such a weapon and who for whatever reason find a larger caliber weapon not to be an option. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:09   #242
James Markov

I will say this if you do not have a .40 caliber pistol(Which Walmart has a plentiful supply of ammo) say you have a 9mm, 380, 357 magnum or .45 acp Walmarts for many miles in my area have NO ammo to sell. Sure you can pay double price elsewhere, if you can find it but when is the next time you can afford to shoot a centerfire ammo gun? Its a drought out there, so .22's are the only economical ammo anymore...
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 16:27   #243
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
I will say this if you do not have a .40 caliber pistol(Which Walmart has a plentiful supply of ammo) ....... .22's are the only economical ammo anymore...

You cannot buy any .40 at walmarts in south central FL.

It's unreal. .22 is all I shoot anymore.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:29   #244
James Markov

All we have is oceans of .40 caliber plus some .22's. Ocasionally we get some 9mm or .45 acp and some .38 specials. No .380 to be seen period. Once ammo production gets ramped up further look out! Sales galore I hope...
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 17:12   #245
Faulkner
Patriot

When I travel out of town my wife prefers my Ruger MKII with Tactical Solutions PAC LITE upper as her primary weapon of choice. It is very accurate and very reliable.

Usually loaded with Stingers, she is very comfortable and capable with this weapon even though she has a .38 snub she shoots quite well. I think the main reason she prefers the .22 is because since we live out in the county there are multiple targets of opportunity that come up, not just bad guys. She is more likely to have to deal with snakes, dogs, coyotes, raccoons, 'possums, and such, and she has dispatched at least one of each at variuos times.

Rimfire Forum
Old 10-26-2009, 22:46   #246
den888

My first gun was given to me in 1982 (I was under 21 years old at that time) by a family member. It was a Colt Trooper in .22LR. I loaded it with .22LR CCI Stingers for my first HD gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
Anybody use a .22 revolver?
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00   #247
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by den888 View Post
My first gun was given to me in 1982 (I was under 21 years old at that time) by a family member. It was a Colt Trooper in .22LR. I loaded it with .22LR CCI Stingers for my first HD gun.
I am putting money aside to buy .22 revolvers for my daughters (the oldest is 10) I would love for them to have a quality steel DA .22lr revolver with a 3" to 4" barrel like the Colt Trooper, the Ruger SP-101 or the S&W Model 63. Unfortunately all have been discontinued except for the S&W 63 but that only comes in a 5" barrel. S&W also re-introduced the Model 18 with the 4"bbl but at an MSRP of over $1,000 I rather take my chances on the used market. I like them to have something that will last several lifetimes, and they can uses as a trainer, for home defense in a pinch, and something they can hopefully teach my grandkids to shoot with.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 10-27-2009 at 07:07..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11   #248
Scouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
I am putting money aside to buy .22 revolvers for my daughters (the oldest is 10) I would love for them to have a quality steel DA .22lr revolver with a 3" to 4" barrel like the Colt Trooper, the Ruger SP-101 or the S&W Model 63. Unfortunately all have been discontinued except for the S&W 63 but that only comes in a 5" barrel. S&W also re-introduced the Model 18 with the 4"bbl but at an MSRP of over $1,000 I rather take my chances on the used market. I like them to have something that will last several lifetimes, and they can uses as a trainer, for home defense in a pinch, and something they can hopefully teach my grandkids to shoot with.
Good luck on the second hand search, people hang on to those little gems.
Old 11-03-2009, 14:37   #249
Fishslayer
Retired squid

.22 HP on target > .45 that misses.
Old 11-03-2009, 14:43   #250
sigsauermaniac

no. at least,not as MAIN,but i keep my ruger 22-45 beside my G22 in my fast access vault under the bed LOADED with the trigger safety on.

racoons or varmints scratching my backdoor will get a pea as welcome gift.

Rimfire Forum
4-sp01 shadow:thumbsup:
sigsauermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 13:41   #251
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauermaniac View Post
no. at least,not as MAIN,but i keep my ruger 22-45 beside my G22 in my fast access vault under the bed LOADED with the trigger safety on.

racoons or varmints scratching my backdoor will get a pea as welcome gift.

Rimfire Forum
Is that the 22/45 slabside with the 3 dot fixed sights???
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 18:23   #252
vafish

Almost 3 years since this thread was started and it's still staying pretty civil and on topic. I think that's a record of some sort.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:09   #253
B.Reid

I would not feel to under gunned with a .22 at indoor ranges. I would go for head shots and shoot it dry!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 19:12   #254
sigsauermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Is that the 22/45 slabside with the 3 dot fixed sights???

yes. it's near brand new, i use my target stainless bull barrel 5.5 at the range most of the time.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34   #255
deadite
Groovy.

I think good shot placement could do some serious damage in a HD scenario. One of my best friends is a Homocide Detective in NJ. He says that the vast amount of people he sees shot are from .22LR. #1 assassination tool.

Browning Challenger

Rimfire Forum

Ruger Mark III and Star Model FR-Sport

Rimfire Forum

Have a Mark II Target, too.

Rimfire Forum

I sure would hate to be shot by any of them.

deadite
Old 11-05-2009, 14:23   #256
sigsauermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
I think good shot placement could do some serious damage in a HD scenario. One of my best friends is a Homocide Detective in NJ. He says that the vast amount of people he sees shot are from .22LR. #1 assassination tool.

Browning Challenger

Rimfire Forum

Ruger Mark III and Star Model FR-Sport

Rimfire Forum

Have a Mark II Target, too.

Rimfire Forum

I sure would hate to be shot by any of them.

deadite

hhhmmmm.nice....the second pic with the white marble grips...veeeery nice.
Old 11-05-2009, 14:34   #257
deadite
Groovy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsauermaniac View Post
hhhmmmm.nice....the second pic with the white marble grips...veeeery nice.
Thanks!

Actually, they're Buck-Eye Burl.

Rimfire Forum

deadite

Last edited by deadite; 11-05-2009 at 14:36..
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18   #258
VaporLock24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
I think the matter of defense and the .22 depends on the range. Up close, the bad guy may not realize he's been hurt bad until he has hurt you worse. From a distance though, with a scoped rifle, I put a whole bunch of faith in the .22 LR. If you have time and room enough to properly aim, a quick double pop from a .22 rifle can produce a wound channel very similar to that of a 9mm HP. 2 fast rounds to just about anywhere in the neck will take the bad guy out of the fight. If you have time to aim for a major joint, like an ankle, knee or shoulder, the assailant is nullified. 2 fast shots to the groin will likely cause him to wet his pants for the last time.
In the house, my Glock 19 is boss. At any range from 10 to 100 yards, I trust my .22 rifles to prove any ballistic points that may need to be proven.
Well said!
VaporLock24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43   #259
Scouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboyr6 View Post
Well said!
Not sure were I saw this video, but it was a scoped .22 rifle penetration test.

The target, a frozen turkey from a Supermarket (so called thawed out!) 250 yds distance.

The cartridge was a Remington .22LR Hi Velocity, that it was hit at that range was amazing to me! It was dead prior to this test. (Brit humor)

On initial examination of the target, said turkey, hole was seen at front, then one at the rear, total penetration, the bag of innards had not been removed, and was still frozen, and the wee 40g bullet went right through it also.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03   #260
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Not sure were I saw this video, but it was a scoped .22 rifle penetration test.

The target, a frozen turkey from a Supermarket (so called thawed out!) 250 yds distance.

The cartridge was a Remington .22LR Hi Velocity, that it was hit at that range was amazing to me! It was dead prior to this test. (Brit humor)

On initial examination of the target, said turkey, hole was seen at front, then one at the rear, total penetration, the bag of innards had not been removed, and was still frozen, and the wee 40g bullet went right through it also.

As I recall, the turkey was also wrapped in clothing material to simulate fairly heavy clothing.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote