GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2009, 21:13   #221
James Markov

In this economy, the .22 is all most folks can afford to shoot a lot...
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32   #222
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post

Yup -- that was always one of the compelling reasons to shoot .22's... And it has become even more compelling during this presidential cycle...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29   #223
Scouse

Rimfire pistol

Took a couple of Ladies out to shoot various hand guns, small ones first.

.22 Walther Inter-arms, 6 misfires out of twenty shots!

Big dent, no bang. OK from a 10-22 Rifle, not so good from pistol.
From a rifle .22 awesome penetrator, read a report, 250 yards, right through a half frozen turkey, wrapped in some clothing.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49   #224
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
+1 When everything went nutz I started getting more interested in rimefire. After years of not owning a single .22 firearm, I now have 2 with more in the works, including a conversion kits, and I joined www.rimfirecentral.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55   #225
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
+1 When everything went nutz I started getting more interested in rimefire. After years of not owning a single .22 firearm, I now have 2 with more in the works, including a conversion kits, and I joined www.rimfirecentral.

Brilliant minds think alike, Bilbo -- I just joined RFC two days ago...

I have discovered the crazy and addictive joy of building 10/22's...Am currently working on a project that will have the Rhinelandarms Leopard stock as the base. I'm debating on the barrel, but am leaning toward a Tactical Solutions fluted and threaded barrel (threaded on the remote chance that I might want to stick a can on it later...).

Of course, scoping the baby will be a whole 'nother universe unto itself...

--
Old 09-02-2009, 17:51   #226
Broncbuster
Dying Breed

I went from owning one .22 to owning 4. It is nice to go out and shoot and only spend $20 instead of $100. Still like my larger cailbers but the lil rimfires are growing on me.
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 18:06   #227
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post

I have discovered the crazy and addictive joy of building 10/22's...Am currently working on a project that will have the Rhinelandarms Leopard stock as the base. I'm debating on the barrel, but am leaning toward a Tactical Solutions fluted and threaded barrel (threaded on the remote chance that I might want to stick a can on it later...).
I found the intoxicating appeal of the 10/22 as well here recently.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098613

I have many .22s in both pistols and rifles, but just recently did the Ruger 10/22 project. Quite addicting -- I kept it simple and not super-expensive. But a 500 dollar rifle that shots 10 rounds through the SAME hole in the target at 50 yards is just friggin awesome.

And cheap. I take the Walther P22, Buckmark, 10/22, Marlin 60, etc, and can shoot for 3 hours and never get bored. All for less than 15 bucks worth of ammo. I dig it

And back to the point of the thread- The P22 is the wife's gun, and loaded with stingers, gives her peace of mind as a self defense pistol if the /357 revolver is out of reach.
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013

Last edited by GSSF17; 09-02-2009 at 18:09..
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 18:34   #228
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
I found the intoxicating appeal of the 10/22 as well here recently.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1098613

I recall now when you worked on that 10/22 -- even managed to kibbitz a little bit on that thread...

I must say you did some really nice work on that rifle, and the fruit of all your labor was evident in the final product...

--
Old 09-02-2009, 20:05   #229
GSSF17
...2 of 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I recall now when you worked on that 10/22 -- even managed to kibbitz a little bit on that thread...

I must say you did some really nice work on that rifle, and the fruit of all your labor was evident in the final product...

Thanks. Taken to heart and much appreciated. Hope to upstage that one here before too long.........

Safe shooting, everyone!
-Rimfire Club#1097 -Florida Glockers Club#1097 -Black Rifle Club #1097 -Certified Glock Armorer

RIP John Noveske- 1976 - 2013
GSSF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 22:20   #230
american lockpicker
License to Il

At one time I had a Ruger Mk II with .22 Remington Vipers for protection. I used that round because it has the best penetration.
american lockpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12   #231
James Markov

Anybody shoot the Aguila super hyper velocity round they have out lately? I think its the fastest .22 long rifle in the world right now, faster than the CCI Stinger!
Old 09-05-2009, 15:19   #232
robertoh

I recently bought a Heritage single/six revolver and only shoot .22 mags in it and use it for home defence with soft nose bullets.
My second and back up is my Ruger PC4.
I would use the Heritage first bacause a handgun is a lot easier handling in the home in an emergencey I'd think.
robertoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:16   #233
Regular Joe

I think the matter of defense and the .22 depends on the range. Up close, the bad guy may not realize he's been hurt bad until he has hurt you worse. From a distance though, with a scoped rifle, I put a whole bunch of faith in the .22 LR. If you have time and room enough to properly aim, a quick double pop from a .22 rifle can produce a wound channel very similar to that of a 9mm HP. 2 fast rounds to just about anywhere in the neck will take the bad guy out of the fight. If you have time to aim for a major joint, like an ankle, knee or shoulder, the assailant is nullified. 2 fast shots to the groin will likely cause him to wet his pants for the last time.
In the house, my Glock 19 is boss. At any range from 10 to 100 yards, I trust my .22 rifles to prove any ballistic points that may need to be proven.
Regular Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10   #234
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular Joe View Post
I think the matter of defense and the .22 depends on the range. Up close, the bad guy may not realize he's been hurt bad until he has hurt you worse. From a distance though, with a scoped rifle, I put a whole bunch of faith in the .22 LR. If you have time and room enough to properly aim, a quick double pop from a .22 rifle can produce a wound channel very similar to that of a 9mm HP. 2 fast rounds to just about anywhere in the neck will take the bad guy out of the fight. If you have time to aim for a major joint, like an ankle, knee or shoulder, the assailant is nullified. 2 fast shots to the groin will likely cause him to wet his pants for the last time.
In the house, my Glock 19 is boss. At any range from 10 to 100 yards, I trust my .22 rifles to prove any ballistic points that may need to be proven.

Interesting perspective -- good food for thought...

--
Old 09-10-2009, 09:08   #235
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoh View Post
I recently bought a Heritage single/six revolver and only shoot .22 mags in it and use it for home defence with soft nose bullets.
I would use the Heritage first bacause a handgun is a lot easier handling in the home in an emergencey I'd think.
I'd take the semi auto carbine over the single action pistol. Our troops clear houses with rifles every day, it just takes training to do it "safely". The carbine will be more accurate even at room sistances, fire several times faster and a hot .22lr out of an 18" barrel is not far off a .22mag from a pistol.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08   #236
Broncbuster
Dying Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertoh View Post
I have a few Heritages I keep loaded up with .22 mags. While my EDC is a Glock 30,21 or 19, I still keep a few of the Heritages in different locations around the house as a "just in case" that may aid in getting me to my larger caliber in an emergency situation.
For roughly $150 I can't see not having a few laying around in the cabinets and end tables.
Broncbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:21   #237
James Markov

Is a lighter bullet best when shooting the .22 magnum out of a pistol? Say a 34 grain hollow point load?
Old 10-04-2009, 13:19   #238
mboylan

No. Your only hope is penetration and perfect shot placement. So as heavy a bullet as you can go and as tough as you can go. Most often any cartridge up to and including .380 ACP needs to use FMJ bullets to have a chance in hell of penetrating enough. Exceptions are the super premium .380 bullets.

.22 Mag is a really bad idea even for a BUG. Better than nothing but still.

Last edited by mboylan; 10-04-2009 at 13:24..
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 16:06   #239
Scamp
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOGIE1 View Post
Rimfire Forum
Thats a sweet gun right there, what kind of scope is that?
Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 14:52   #240
James Markov

What is the opinion here on the heritage arms rough rider? Acceptable quality?