Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2009, 17:32   #201
IV Troop

Rimfire Forum
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.THEODORE ROOSEVELT: 1915
IV Troop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 17:34   #202
IV Troop

Rimfire Forum
There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all.THEODORE ROOSEVELT: 1915
Old 07-22-2009, 17:36   #203
IV Troop

I have a few .22 handguns around the house and would not hesitate to use one.

Rimfire Forum
Old 07-22-2009, 17:38   #204
IV Troop

West German Walther PP. In my eyes, a beauty.

Rimfire Forum
Old 07-22-2009, 20:46   #205
darwin25
Make your move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
Let's not forget Robert Kennedy was killed with a .22 Iver-Johnson Cadet revolver.
But Robert Kennedy is a sissy.
darwin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 20:54   #206
Nytemare

Not only NO, but Eff You See Kay NO! I dont gamble, especially with my life. There is no reason to use .22 as home defense other than, "I don;t wann hurt the poor home invader."
Black Rifle Club Member #2311
I Dream In Sight Picture
Semper FI, Til I Die!
Nytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 16:08   #207
James Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV Troop View Post
Rimfire Forum
Is that gov't issue?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 21:39   #208
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytemare View Post
Not only NO, but Eff You See Kay NO! I dont gamble, especially with my life. There is no reason to use .22 as home defense other than, "I don;t wann hurt the poor home invader."
There might be better tools, but it can do the job. I think a .22 semi auto carbine would be just the ticket for some people intimidated by handguns or larger calibers. Easy to aim and capable of putting out a devastating rate of fire. Good granny gun.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:37   #209
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26man View Post
There might be better tools, but it can do the job. I think a .22 semi auto carbine would be just the ticket for some people intimidated by handguns or larger calibers. Easy to aim and capable of putting out a devastating rate of fire. Good granny gun.

Yup...Consider every instance where some unarmed elderly person or other relatively helpless person was brutalized by home invaders...Now, put a 10/22 in the victim's hands and the ability to use it -- and see how the outcome changes...

'

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06   #210
lanternlad
Mythmatician

Would I use a .22? In a heartbeat - tho I'd prefer a .22mag to a .22lr. I carry a NAA Mini in .22 mag now (BUG) and my wife carries one too. It clips into my pocket like a pocket knife and is at the ready if I need it.
lanternlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 17:07   #211
pmwglock19

The gun shop I frequent got in 3 NAA revolvers and all 3 were sold inside of 2 days. One was suppose to be the owner's.
pmwglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 18:13   #212
Scouse

The non threat rifle.

My Daughter is not a gun person, but lives in country, in Florida, I will teach her how to load and fire my 10-22.

Give it to her and show how to shoot people!
Old 08-09-2009, 20:20   #213
tshadow6

During the first riots in Miami in 1980, my cousin loaded his 10-22 and drove to his girlfriend's house to protect her. He still tells that story and he never says,"I wish I had something bigger." He was happy just to be armed. No shots were fired, nor did any rioters show up in the part of town they were in.
True story.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 20:52   #214
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
During the first riots in Miami in 1980, my cousin loaded his 10-22 and drove to his girlfriend's house to protect her. He still tells that story and he never says,"I wish I had something bigger." He was happy just to be armed. No shots were fired, nor did any rioters show up in the part of town they were in.
True story.

When confronted by someone armed with a 10/22, the bad guy is more likely to say:

a) "He11 -- it's only a .22...We can take him!"

or

b) "Oh, crap -- he's got a gun!!!"

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08   #215
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
When confronted by someone armed with a 10/22, the bad guy is more likely to say:

a) "He11 -- it's only a .22...We can take him!"

or

b) "Oh, crap -- he's got a gun!!!"

If the Bad Guy picked A) he would definately win a Darwin Award.

I like what others have said about a "granny gun". I think no one is suggesting that everyone sell off their 1911 and AR because you can do the same thing with a .22lr, but for folks who cannot handle or afford a centerfire handgun or rifle, a 22lr will get the job done.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35   #216
slewfoot
Random Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
Yup...Consider every instance where some unarmed elderly person or other relatively helpless person was brutalized by home invaders...Now, put a 10/22 in the victim's hands and the ability to use it -- and see how the outcome changes...

'
I agree.
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:30   #217
lanternlad
Mythmatician

This link is very interesting...

Lethality of the .22
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...504301&fpart=1
lanternlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33   #218
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternlad View Post
This link is very interesting...

Lethality of the .22
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...504301&fpart=1
No one doubts the lethality of a .22. Most victims die from internal bleeding.

The point of a self defense round is to take out your attacker before he takes you out. Stopping power is everything.

Nothing beats a shotgun for home defense. A 20 GA loaded with #1 will do the job well, without a ton of recoil.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 21:19   #219
Local150

Send a message via Yahoo to Local150
If that is all you got

In perspective. I would rather have a larger caliber weapons than a .22lr but if it is all I own then oh well. On the same note that is to say I would rather have a baseball bat than nothing at all. I would rather have a katana than a baseball bat. I don t think you have to worry about one of those jamming on you either.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19   #220
Scouse

The twenty two is an awesome round (the smaller the nose, the deeper it goes)

My Uncle Basil in WW11 a couple of days after landing in France took cover in a shell hole, in a field, as the sun rose higher he was targeted by what turned out to be a Hitler Youth (in uniform!) early teen. Weapon was a single shot target rifle.

The sniper was in a tree, about 100yds away (Basil said) the only part of his body that could be seen was his arm, it was shot more than once, the bone of the forearm (right arm) shattered.

He was joined in his crater by a Bren Gunner when the Sun had turned the hole into deep shadow. The LMG gunner worked out the location of the sniper, and a burst of .303 dropped him out of the tree. My cousins told me a swing from dad's false arm was an attention getter.