Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-24-2006, 19:06   #21
Eric
Big Giant Head

Hi folks. I am sorry if any of you got burned, but there is little I can do to help in a situation like this. The user in question has been banned and I will cooperate with any official LE request for information concerning this guy, including IP numbers.

I will soon be launching a paid membership tier on Glock Talk soon. Basic membership here will always be free, but the paid tier will have access to some nice premium features. These changes will impact the classified ads area directly and I think for the better.

When I launch the new system, the classified ads forums will be replaced with a very nice new classified ads software. This new software will utilize Glock Talk's current user database, so you won't have to log in separately from the site. The new system will a very slick system to enter and view multiple product images, the ability to choose an expiration date for the ad, to list and search the ads geogrpahically, to edit and delete the ads yourself, plus tons of other really great stuff, including a built-in feedback system. I think this new software will be a big hit.

When I implement the paid tier, I am going to place limits on the numbers of ads that various user levels will be able to post. Regular members will be able to post between 2 and 5 ads a month. I haven't decided exactly how many yet. Personal paid members will be able to post two or three times the number of a regular member and a business paid member will be able to post unlimited ads. I say unlimited, but we may have to place a limit on the total number of ads that can be posted per month, if the system gets abused. I haven't decided on that either.

Anyway, the paid tier system will help to keep this place paid for and the classified ads system will help. The paid tier system will also help the buyers here though. In addition to the feedback system, the paid tier itself will help buyers make purchases with more confidence, in a couple of ways: Firstly, most scammers will probably not want to pay the membership fee to use the site. Two, if the seller has paid for his membership, he will have had to share a bit of personal information with my system in the transaction, so I will be able to provide more help to the authorities, if they request information concerning a possible scammer. I think between the feedback system and this, buyers here will have tools as good as any classified ads or auction system online on which to base buying decisions. As always though, the phrase 'Buyer Beware' is good advise. Don't do business with people you have a bad feeling about. Insure that you get some personal information about the seller whenever you can. Make payment and shipping arrangements that give you some recourse in case of a deal gone bad, whenever you can. Cover your butt.

I will post more info on the paid tier and new classified ads system soon. I welcome any feedback you all have on the new system. Thanks. Eric
Old 10-24-2006, 21:30   #22
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

Cool I was hopping GT would start a paid tier level of membership.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:50   #23
sksmatt

Email sent to RJ3301
sksmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 23:29   #24
switch625
S. S. Squirrel

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric
When I implement the paid tier, I am going to place limits on the numbers of ads that various user levels will be able to post. Regular members will be able to post between 2 and 5 ads a month.
This will just run sellers off to other free boards. The volume is what makes the ads here so great. Remember your auction software?
switch625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:31   #25
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by switch625
This will just run sellers off to other free boards. The volume is what makes the ads here so great. Remember your auction software?
Yes I do and thank you so much for bringing that up. That is not a fair comparison to the new system I am building.

If people are posting more than a handful of ads a month, they are doing so at least as a sideline, if not an outright business. It costs money to run this place and I see nothing wrong with asking people who are making money off of my efforts to pony up a little. This new system is going to be a substantial improvement over the new system. You will just have to take my word for it until everyone gets a chance to see it in action. All other considerations aside, the new system will reduce abuse of this system and help to weed out scammers.

This site is the third busiest site of its type in the world. GT is now averaging 2,700,000 unique visitors a month and we continue to grow. This is where the traffic is. That is why there are so many ads here and that is why the system gets used. I do not intend to poison the well. The thing that doomed my previous attempt to use a different software for the classified ads system was the fact that they did not share a common membership system. The new software will share its user database with the message board, so there will not be a separate login for it. In addition to the great features of the software, I am modifying the site so that the classified ads will have exposure throughout the site.

The posting limitations will not go into effect for at least a couple of months after the changeover. There will be enough to do settling people into the new system. I will ask for people's input and suggestions along the way and I will try to build a system that will appeal to the greatest number of people here, but I will ask that the input everyone gives stay constructive and positive. If people will get behind me and help me make it a great system instead of just sniping at my efforts, or *****ing about change in general, it will be successful. This new system will benefit the site and the members here alike and it is going to happen. With everyone's support, it will be a great system. Eric
Old 10-26-2006, 09:35   #26
sksmatt

Looking forward to it......Great Idea!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:35   #27
RJ3301

Site Admin:
I have sent two emails over the last three days asking you to contact me regarding this matter. I have not heard from you and need to know what type of "official" request you need for records and who to address it to. Be it court order, subpoena, etc. These types of cases can be time sensitive so please contact me at one of the email addresses or phone numbers I have already posted here or sent to you.

Thanks,
Rob Jones
RJ3301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:43   #28
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ3301
Site Admin:
I have sent two emails over the last three days asking you to contact me regarding this matter. I have not heard from you and need to know what type of "official" request you need for records and who to address it to. Be it court order, subpoena, etc. These types of cases can be time sensitive so please contact me at one of the email addresses or phone numbers I have already posted here or sent to you.

Thanks,
Rob Jones
Rob, I am not sure where you are sending the emails, but I haven't received anything. Any email addressed to webmaster@glocktalk.com will find me. Please email so we can discuss this matter directly. Eric
Old 10-27-2006, 20:54   #29
MrCowboy99

BTW.. I just noticed this. I was taken for glocks mags from this dude. I sent the money via paypal and PM me if you want his info from paypal. I guess I learned.

Here's the thread I bought them from.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=603064

Last edited by MrCowboy99; 10-27-2006 at 20:56..
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:30   #30
sksmatt

Any update on this yet?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:58   #31
RJ3301

If there is anyone else out there who has been scammed by this guy and has not contacted me, please do so ASAP.

Last edited by RJ3301; 11-26-2006 at 04:04..
Old 11-29-2006, 20:53   #32
spober

Quote:
Originally posted by RJStriley
non board member, guy I was talking to yesterday afternoon bought it locally
bingo.right there tells me he a big fat lier.o you youngins get wise!
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 21:13   #33
RJ3301

RJSTRILEY UNMASKED!!

Today we executed a search warrant at this guy's residence. Needless, to say his name is not Striley but he did confess to everything. I see from the Paypal records I received that some of you may have been reimbursed by your credit cards or Paypal. Those of you who have been vicitmized, please let me know if you got your money back and from whom.

Thanks,
Rob Jones
Old 12-07-2006, 21:23   #34
Top Gun Supply

Good job Officer Jones!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Blade-Tech Holsters, Milt Sparks Holsters
Glock, Sig Sauer, Wilson Combat
Meprolight, Trijicon, Ameriglo
Top Gun Supply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:50   #35
eich

Great job Rob, e-mail sent.

spober....o you youngin, you might want to learn how to spell professional in your profile....has 2 s's...youngin.

Birthday December 23, 1957
Biography
Location wendel n.c.
Interests
Occupation profesional 8-5
eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:51   #36
sksmatt

Awesome!! Excellent Police work Officer Jones!!
Old 12-15-2006, 13:17   #37
Gastonite

Holy Shizzle!!! Nice work, officer. I can't believe this guy actually got caught so quickly. Nice, nice, nice!!!

Let this be a lesson to all future scammers!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 22:00   #38
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Hope this guy was taken care of.

Last edited by Norman; 12-20-2006 at 22:07..
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 22:35   #39
manny1
#1 Bullet Donor

Re: RJSTRILEY UNMASKED!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ3301
Today we executed a search warrant at this guy's residence. Needless, to say his name is not Striley but he did confess to everything. I see from the Paypal records I received that some of you may have been reimbursed by your credit cards or Paypal. Those of you who have been vicitmized, please let me know if you got your money back and from whom.

Thanks,
Rob Jones
And the update from GPD is?

BTW: Is this guy going to jail after his scams or what RJ?

He'll probably get probation knowing how the Westmoreland county court system works......

I just hope all involved get their funds returned in a timely fashion!
manny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 23:16   #40
RJ3301

He won't do jail time in either Westmoreland or Allegheny County (where he lives) even though there are two felony charges.
I've already secured getting everybody paid back once I figure out who is owed what. Even if the credit card companies or Paypal are out some cash he will be paying them back as well.