Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-11-2014, 22:12   #1
Ammunition Attrition

Bedair Guide Rod v Grayguns Fat guide Rod v OEM

First, I think this kind of change is "small stuff" but small stuff adds up. Any of youz have experience with this:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/bedair-s..._p220-226.html

It's a much heavier solid steel rod to replace the factory hollow steel rod. In a new 226 the fit feels perfect and cycles smoothly by hand with no contact to frame, but after firing 120+ rounds with her today I noticed what appears to be a slightly darkened spring or frame rod inlet impact ring on the front of the rod (not carbon). No visible mark ring on frame, not even a dulling of Nitron finish, so if it impacted anything it's probably just heavy spring friction during the cycling, pretty mild and it smoothed out during cycling. Firing stout, Blue Dot rounds (10.3g @ 1.145" w/125g HAP boolit) could easily have made it impossible for me to discern any inclusion of guide rod-spring friction/tightness or slight slide impact to the total recoil, however. Shot accurately (truly a great load), but not as accurately from bench as I have come to expect, so that may be the "tell" on roughness of tight fit of spring to rod or very slight contact of the rod to frame. Or me being a little "off" today.
Solution: Dremel polish/steel wool the front of the rod, or go back to OEM or a Grayguns, see if darkened ring disappears and if accuracy improves to confirm suspicion of overly tight spring fit at front of rod, or slight, initial slide impact in cycling.
Consensus: I do like this heavy rod and it may indeed reduce muzzle rise a fair bit, but a stout .357 Sig round is, well, about as stout as a medium-heavy 10mm round, and I can't tell improvement without benefit of side-to-side comparison with a stock rod-equipped identical 226 right there on hand. Think I'll stick, and void my warranty with the addition of something more....radical. Word?
Ammunition Attrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 20:57   #2
Ammunition Attrition

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...863#8230084863

Just learned today that the maker of the Bedair rods, Steve Bedair, is in a serious cancer fight and, per the above link, is closing down for a while, hopefully to recover and resume business in some capacity, but this is of course not a certainty. Godspeed Mr. Bedair.
Ammunition Attrition is offline   Reply With Quote