Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2011, 22:34   #1041
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Put talcum powder all over your hands before you shoot. It'll make you very popular when you pat guys on the back for a job well done!
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 22:38   #1042
jcsd2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm392 View Post
anybody else prefer to remove the cord and use a clip and radio as a hand held?
Actually one of my sgts has started doing this...sometimes it doesn't seem effective because when he's out of the car dispatch has to call him more than once, due to him not hearing them.

Another sgt, now lt, used to do it, with the sound reasoning of him getting the antenna higher when he raised the portable to his mouth so that line-of-sight to the tower was improved. Of course he's also over 6' tall so it worked for him.

I debated on doing this awhile back when the shoulder mic I had was crap. Basically I could hear but still had to pull the portable off my hip to transmit. Got a new mic and then thanks to a MFF got a new radio with a new mic which has worked great thus far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Husband, Father, Minister, Deputy w/G22 and G27
Romans 8:28-31
Sub Club #2407
jcsd2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 22:39   #1043
jcsd2407

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Put talcum powder all over your hands before you shoot. It'll make you very popular when you pat guys on the back for a job well done!
Ha! I may try that one too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Husband, Father, Minister, Deputy w/G22 and G27
Romans 8:28-31
Sub Club #2407
jcsd2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:42   #1044
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm392 View Post
anybody else prefer to remove the cord and use a clip and radio as a hand held?
Definitely not. In my mind, the radio is my lifeline to backup and also allows me to be a lifeline to my fellow officers. Having it way down on my belt is nothing but a hindrance. There is NO WAY that you can hear radio transmissions as reliably and as clearly when the speaker is located down there.

I currently wear a listen-only earpiece and a multi-function shoulder mic (attached to my sternum). This setup lets me turn my volume down very low and still hear every nuance in the voices of the dispatchers and my fellow officers. I can also grab the mic and transmit very quickly without having to move my hands very far from centerline, remove the radio from its pouch, or crane my neck. In a noisy environment, I can turn the volume up and still hear just as clearly as I can in a quiet environment. The setup also allows me to go into quiet settings and keep from being a distraction to others. And there's the added officer safety benefit of suspects not hearing positive warrant hits over the speaker.

I just can't tell you how important I think earpieces are. If you get the right one, it can be worn for 12+ hours without discomfort. But if for some reason you choose not to use one (I can't imagine why), please at least use a remote mic. The belt radio only is a very bad and archaic method, in my opinion.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 13:27   #1045
spyd3r05

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
Definitely not. In my mind, the radio is my lifeline to backup and also allows me to be a lifeline to my fellow officers. Having it way down on my belt is nothing but a hindrance. There is NO WAY that you can hear radio transmissions as reliably and as clearly when the speaker is located down there.

I currently wear a listen-only earpiece and a multi-function shoulder mic (attached to my sternum). This setup lets me turn my volume down very low and still hear every nuance in the voices of the dispatchers and my fellow officers. I can also grab the mic and transmit very quickly without having to move my hands very far from centerline, remove the radio from its pouch, or crane my neck. In a noisy environment, I can turn the volume up and still hear just as clearly as I can in a quiet environment. The setup also allows me to go into quiet settings and keep from being a distraction to others. And there's the added officer safety benefit of suspects not hearing positive warrant hits over the speaker.

I just can't tell you how important I think earpieces are. If you get the right one, it can be worn for 12+ hours without discomfort. But if for some reason you choose not to use one (I can't imagine why), please at least use a remote mic. The belt radio only is a very bad and archaic method, in my opinion.
Which In ear do you use? what do you think of it?
spyd3r05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 13:34   #1046
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've always used Earphone Connect. They work really well. I prefer the earpiece that is skeletonized and open rather than the earplug style (lets you still hear ambient noise). I currently use the Fox model in conjunction with my shoulder mic, though I used to use the Hawk lapel mic setup.
Old 06-01-2011, 13:47   #1047
spyd3r05

Have you heard of the quality of transmit from their lapel series?
Old 06-01-2011, 13:54   #1048
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I hear it all the time because the Hawk is issued to our officers. It is excellent unless there is wind. That will be a problem with just about any mic. I say just about any because some of the newer Motorola shoulder mics have windproof technology. Included in that is the Commander II mic, which I use. It has a special windscreen which helps A LOT with wind noise.

Cop Talk
Old 06-01-2011, 15:59   #1049
spyd3r05

I'm seriously contemplating on getting the full set up instead of listen only... My Remote mic is the stock el-cheapo motorola mic
Old 06-01-2011, 17:04   #1050
dano1427

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyd3r05 View Post
Have you heard of the quality of transmit from their lapel series?
Sounds like you're talking through a pillow. VERY muffled, and lacks fidelity. You get what you pay for, and I wouldn't skimp on radio equipment.

https://shoppcl.com/store/ <---They invented the transducer earpiece, and still make the best earpieces.

http://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/ <---Good source for high quality radio earpieces/mics, etc.
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 17:22   #1051
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spyd3r05, the quality of the transmissions will be limited by the quality of your radio system. We have very high quality Motorola XTS 5000 radios on a brand new digital system and the Earphone Connect Hawks sound fine. They sounded fine on our previous 800 MHz Motorola analog trunked system too. Like I said, 90% of our officers use the Earphone Connect Hawk. It works very well until the wind starts blowing. Then you just have to turn your back or shield the mic.

If you prefer a better system, I recommend a quality Motorola shoulder mic (assuming your radio system is Motorola) coupled with a listen-only earpiece. The shoulder mic is nice because you have a large object to grab under stress when you need to transmit instead of a tiny lapel mic. Also, most of them have better mics than the lapel counterparts.

Last edited by AggiePhil; 06-01-2011 at 17:28..
Old 06-01-2011, 17:32   #1052
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:

Different strokes for different folks, Phil.

Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't make it very bad, or archaic. Just different.

I have a remote Mic, and a nice expensive Surefire earpiece. They sit in my bag and get used a handful of times per year. If it jumps off and I'm in a critical incident, I'm not on a stupid radio.

If for some reason I absolutely do need to transmit RIGHT NOW, I can hit the xmit on the radio on my belt and folks can hear me clear as day. Or, if I need my hands free, I just hit my pizza button in a true emergency and I have an open mic anyway.

I'm super happy that your in love with your setup but remember... its your setup. Not everyone's.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59   #1053
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

We were issued this earpiece with the clear pigtail coil thing that looks all secret service and it has a remote PTT mike we can clip to our collar to transmit. It worked well except you had to wind the cord under the shirt so it doesn't dangle everywhere. Some guys cut a hole in their shirt for the jack to the radio. It didn't get much use with me since I don't like cutting holes in my shirt.

Then we switched radios so it's a moot point. Gotta love government.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56   #1054
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Or, if I need my hands free, I just hit my pizza button in a true emergency and I have an open mic anyway.
I can agree to disagree. I just feel strongly about being one with your radio. And FWIW, ours don't work the way that you described (Motorola XTS 5000). Pressing the emergency button gives you a loud alert tone in dispatch that continues to beep every few seconds until your radio is turned off and back on again but it does not lock your mic open. You still have to press the mic button to Xmit. Stay safe.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04   #1055
JTipper.45

Quote:
I can agree to disagree. I just feel strongly about being one with your radio. And FWIW, ours don't work the way that you described (Motorola XTS 5000). Pressing the emergency button gives you a loud alert tone in dispatch that continues to beep every few seconds until your radio is turned off and back on again but it does not lock your mic open. You still have to press the mic button to Xmit. Stay safe.
Our Kenwoods have the "man down" button. Press and hold and our mic stays keyed for 30 sec, after that it goes into a transmit/recieve cycle every 5 to 10 seconds.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22   #1056
Agent6-3/8

Quote:

You wouldn't believe the way things are done a round here. With my last department, 60% or 70% of guys didn't wear a portable at all. The digital hi-band was pretty good, but the old low-band weighed a metric ****-ton and didn't work well at all. I didn't wear one through most of my FTO period, but did once I was on my own. I've been completely out of touch with dispatch more than once. Things were even worse for the guys in the county south of us.

Last edited by Agent6-3/8; 06-03-2011 at 10:22..
Agent6-3/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39   #1057
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
We were issued this earpiece with the clear pigtail coil thing that looks all secret service and it has a remote PTT mike we can clip to our collar to transmit. It worked well except you had to wind the cord under the shirt so it doesn't dangle everywhere. Some guys cut a hole in their shirt for the jack to the radio. It didn't get much use with me since I don't like cutting holes in my shirt.

Then we switched radios so it's a moot point. Gotta love government.
Have your tailor sew a button hole in to the shirt.

Our new radios have the earpiece jack in the speaker mic, but I had the holes sewn in to all of mine when we had the old radios...worked like a charm.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45   #1058
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

Quote:
Our XTS5000s and XTS2500s have the buttons (one orange, one purple) and neither one does a damn thing.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58   #1059
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Most modern portables are made entirely of "soft" keys. The buttons, despite color and position, can be programmed for any function. If you wanted to, you could make the number 7 key the transmit button, the PTT button the emergency key, and the 0 key the scan key. Functionality of the emergency button can also often be changed based on the radio programming and/or the system settings. For example, our new Harris radios require a 1.5 second press on the emergency button to activate, and then give you five seconds of air time, but that is all programmed...none of it is a "default."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:03   #1060
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Quote:
Some guys cut a hole in their shirt for the jack to the radio. It didn't get much use with me since I don't like cutting holes in my shirt.
No cutting required. Just take a few stitches out of the seem in the side of your shirt at the same height as the top of the radio, and then stitch the opening closed at the top and bottom so it doesn't unravel. You won't even be able to tell it's there. I wear my radio between 8:30 and 9:30 right where the wire comes out of my shirt.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote