GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:28   #1
Kentak
Senior Member
 
Kentak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,441
Question about "rolling" stops

Hi. Not trying to start an argument. Iím not in any way disputing that the law is clear about needing to come to a *complete* stop at a stop sign before proceeding.

Iím merely curious about the enforcement, as it seems I observe many drivers failing to come to a complete stop at stop signs. True, most of these are not flagrant, in that the drivers slow *almost* to a stop, are obviously checking for cross traffic, and proceed, but never completely stopping.

So, my question is:

How strictly will you cite when you observe a rolling stop? Each and every one; only the more obvious, flagrant violations? And do other factors, such as amount of traffic, presence of pedestrians, etc., enter into your process?

Thanks.
__________________
Join and support the NRA
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32   #2
tc556guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 4,770
Send a message via ICQ to tc556guy Send a message via Yahoo to tc556guy
I only enforce that section at specific intersections where we've received multiple complaints from area residents that it's become an issue.
__________________
*Post contains personal opinion and should not be considered information released in an official capacity*
tc556guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23   #3
Bushido5150
Senior Member
 
Bushido5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nrth of Hell, South of Paradise Mi
Posts: 726
I only enforce flagrant violations. If a car slows and rolls up to the intersection and then proceeds I'm not stopping them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________
"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me" -Archilocus 650 BC-
Bushido5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15   #4
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,262
Is there a minimum time limit to the stop?

I've gotten good at a touch and go stop. It's a complete stop, but only for a moment, executed when it's obviously clear.

I hate getting a cheesy ticket like that, so I don't roll through.

Even with that miniscule stop though, I've been rear ended because I actually stop at stop signs. So I take that back, I have rolled a stop where there's someone riding my bumper and the street is obviously clear...

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30   #5
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!
 
Dukeboy01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,440
Back when I was on patrol and working the occasional stop sign complaints, I looked for the honest- to- God, never touched their brakes, blew through the intersection at 10 or 15 mph at least before I wrote a ticket for disregarding a stop sign. Slow rolls, especially when making right turns, I ignored.

That was me using my discretion. Like you said, ultimately the sign says STOP.
__________________
"You want it to be one way... but it's the other way." - Marlo Stanfield
Dukeboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:23   #6
Sharkey
Senior Member
 
Sharkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,874
Depends how busy you are, complaints received at the intersection, the violators demeanor at the stop, did the officer get nooky the night before...

I would use rolling stops as a basis for contact but would normally only cite if it was very flagrant. As mentioned before, there might be other factors.
__________________
There are no saints in the animal kingdom, only breakfast and dinner.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47   #7
w01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
Hi. Not trying to start an argument. Iím not in any way disputing that the law is clear about needing to come to a *complete* stop at a stop sign before proceeding.

Iím merely curious about the enforcement, as it seems I observe many drivers failing to come to a complete stop at stop signs. True, most of these are not flagrant, in that the drivers slow *almost* to a stop, are obviously checking for cross traffic, and proceed, but never completely stopping.

So, my question is:

How strictly will you cite when you observe a rolling stop? Each and every one; only the more obvious, flagrant violations? And do other factors, such as amount of traffic, presence of pedestrians, etc., enter into your process?

Thanks.
Visiting at an Air Force Base once for a week-long event (had rent car) - was specifically told to stop and count three seconds before turning because SF was all over that specific issue.

I understand a base is way different from the rest of the world, and they may have had guidance to vigorously enforce this.
w01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53   #8
steve1988
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ft. Meade, MD
Posts: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by w01 View Post
Visiting at an Air Force Base once for a week-long event (had rent car) - was specifically told to stop and count three seconds before turning because SF was all over that specific issue.

I understand a base is way different from the rest of the world, and they may have had guidance to vigorously enforce this.
That probably came from some senior officer (commissioned or otherwise) mentioning a legitimate problem with people running stop signs. By the time that gets filtered down to the E-2/3/4 who actually writes tickets, it gets turned into a big pile of stupid.
__________________
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 13:14   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 34,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by w01 View Post
Visiting at an Air Force Base once for a week-long event (had rent car) - was specifically told to stop and count three seconds before turning because SF was all over that specific issue.

I understand a base is way different from the rest of the world, and they may have had guidance to vigorously enforce this.
WAY different on a military base. If civilian police enforced traffic law the way MP's do, we'd all have to give up driving. When they say speed limit, they mean absolute limit.
__________________
"Liberal" is when you hire others to use a guns to protect you, so you can pretend guns aren't necessary.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 14:09   #10
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail
 
GD2J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 813
S-low
T-il
O-thers
P-ass
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 15:25   #11
ray9898
Senior Member
 
ray9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Georgia
Posts: 17,521


I hammer them at our high accident intersections where it is a common contributing factor. I can't even guess how many wrecks I have responded to where an at fault driver claimed they didn't see an approaching vehicle while witnesses confirmed they didn't come to a complete stop so they could take a moment to scan the roadway instead of worrying about operating their vehicle.

I don't think I have ever stopped one in a secluded light traffic area.
ray9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 21:58   #12
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka
 
Sharky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
I hammer them at our high accident intersections where it is a common contributing factor. I can't even guess how many wrecks I have responded to where an at fault driver claimed they didn't see an approaching vehicle while witnesses confirmed they didn't come to a complete stop so they could take a moment to scan the roadway instead of worrying about operating their vehicle.

I don't think I have ever stopped one in a secluded light traffic area.
I'm about the same.

I will also add that when I set up to do stop sign enforcement, I don't "hide." I park a marked car about 10-20 yards from the intersection. If you don't see me parked and go through the stop, by rolling it or failing to stop....you were not paying attention and not scanning. Which means if I was approaching that stop sign with emergency lights, you may have hit me or caused a near collision with us. Or if I was a kid running after a ball, etc.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 22:56   #13
chiefjack
Senior Member
 
chiefjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kalifornia
Posts: 144
What is the definition of "STOP"????

If you don't do that, you should get cited.

I used to sit on "problem" stop signs and hammer those lazy people that just could not STOP, whether they rolled or blew through.
__________________
Everyonegoeshome.com
chiefjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 15:24   #14
Roering
Sorting nuts
 
Roering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD2J View Post
S-low
T-il
O-thers
P-ass
Slow
To
Observe
Police

Lots of factors for this.

Is anyone else around?
Is my vision obstructed?

There have been times when I would go a little past the line and then stop so I can get a better view because stopping behind it serves little purpose in regards to being able to safely go through the intersection.

But if a policeman is on the scene........

From another perspective, if a squad car is there and someone rolls through, it probably means the driver wasn't looking around.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Warranty voiding

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 15:32   #15
RichardinNC
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near the edge
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
WAY different on a military base. If civilian police enforced traffic law the way MP's do, we'd all have to give up driving. When they say speed limit, they mean absolute limit.
Exactly right - 25 MPH means 25 MPH.
__________________
I thought I was dead.
Then I found out I was just in Nebraska.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help"
RichardinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 15:33   #16
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,262
One thing I do, drivers are supposed to stop at the crosswalk, right? Avoid nailing pedestrians.

People blow through partway around the corner, stop for traffic. I'm behind them stopped at the crosswalk. If it's clear when they go, I just follow, I don't stop twice.

I stopped at the right place, they are the ones that blew the crosswalk, stopped in the intersection, they should get the ticket, not me.

Do this at your own risk, I haven't been stopped doing that, not sure if I'm right about that...

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by steveksux; 07-22-2014 at 15:34..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 16:23   #17
fran m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: drexel hill pa
Posts: 1,331
One poster said he doesn't stop the ones that are not stopping and making a right turn. The problem I observe is that the drivers are ONLY looking to their left as they approach the intersection. God forbid if there are pedestrians or anything else on the right where they are intending to turn. They have no intention of stopping as long as they have room to pull in front of you and cut you off. They are worth stopping.

Where I live we have many unnecessary stop signs. Signs were there are no sight line problems. Neighbors want more but thankfully the town will only consider it after a traffic study of speed, traffic volume and accident data. Hardly ever does they study warrant the sign.
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 18:10   #18
Kentak
Senior Member
 
Kentak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,441
Anybody want to see YouTube videos of cops rolling through stop signs?

Easy enough to find. But, what would that prove? Probably that cops are human, like all of us. Or, maybe that there is a letter of the law and spirit of the law. Seems to me, some intersections are such that it's perfectly possible, due to traffic patterns and ease of visibility, to ascertain after slowing enough that it is *safe* to proceed through the intersection. Does that make it legal? Of course not. But maybe it's possible to comply with the spirit of a law if not the letter of the law.

I'm not saying the law shouldn't be enforced. Only that perhaps there is room for discretion in enforcement based on all factors.

That seems to be what some responses are saying, if I read them correctly.

BTW, in case you're wondering, no, I've never been cited for failure to stop, rolling or otherwise.
__________________
Join and support the NRA

Last edited by Kentak; 07-22-2014 at 18:33..
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 18:17   #19
Kentak
Senior Member
 
Kentak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
One thing I do, drivers are supposed to stop at the crosswalk, right? Avoid nailing pedestrians.

People blow through partway around the corner, stop for traffic. I'm behind them stopped at the crosswalk. If it's clear when they go, I just follow, I don't stop twice.

I stopped at the right place, they are the ones that blew the crosswalk, stopped in the intersection, they should get the ticket, not me.

Do this at your own risk, I haven't been stopped doing that, not sure if I'm right about that...

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Seems to me if you came to a complete stop at the (I call it a "stop bar"), checked for cross traffic, and proceeded, you fully complied with the spirit and letter of the law and no violation occurred. Why would anything else be required?
__________________
Join and support the NRA
Kentak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 20:08   #20
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentak View Post
Seems to me if you came to a complete stop at the (I call it a "stop bar"), checked for cross traffic, and proceeded, you fully complied with the spirit and letter of the law and no violation occurred. Why would anything else be required?
But with a car stopped in front of me, it could appear that I just followed that car through without stopping... Like would be the case if a number of cars were lined up, and only the first guy stopped.

In those cases, most of them WOULD be guilty of rolling the stop, as they stopped way behind the stop bar. The first guy might actually have followed the letter of the law though.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 07-22-2014 at 20:09..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:14.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,021
262 Members
759 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42