Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:15   #1
RussP

Justice Department Sues Pennsylvania State Police over Fitness Test

"Tests and selection allegedly produced a pattern of employment discrimination"
Quote:
Justice Department Sues Pennsylvania State Police over Fitness Test
Quote:
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) The Pennsylvania State Police, one of the nation's largest forces, is faced with ending the physical fitness tests it gives to applicants for state trooper positions or defending in court a practice that the federal government says illegally discriminates against women.

The Justice Department's 10-page lawsuit was filed Tuesday in federal court in Harrisburg. A spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania State Police said Tuesday evening that the agency's lawyers had not seen the lawsuit yet and could not comment on it.

With 4,677 sworn members, Pennsylvania State Police troopers provide protection for much of Pennsylvania.

The lawsuit said the use of the tests to screen and select the applicants for the entry-level positions amounted to a pattern of employment discrimination. Much greater percentages of male applicants than female applicants passed the physical fitness tests going back to 2003, it said.

As a result, the state police had failed to hire dozens of women for entry-level trooper positions on an equal basis with men, it said.

Had female applicants passed the test at the same rate as men between 2003 and 2012, approximately 119 additional women would have merited further consideration for the jobs and approximately 45 more would have been hired as entry-level troopers, the Justice Department said.

The practice violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and does not qualify under the law as a business necessity, it said.
The last paragraph...
Quote:
The Justice Department sued the city of Corpus Christi, Texas, in 2012, stating similar allegations. The city settled the lawsuit last year, approving a $700,000 settlement for female police applicants who had failed the test. Corpus Christi police also agreed to stop using the test and hire 18 women who did not pass the test, but were considered eligible to be officers.
Wonder what this will cost Pennsylvania...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54   #2
Vigilant

According to Fox News, our fearless leaders have also approved spending $200,000 to study gender bias by Wikipedia.

As of today, our national debt is over $17.6 TRILLION. When we crash, we will crash HARD.

God help this country.

Last edited by Vigilant; 07-30-2014 at 19:44..
Vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:09   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Amen to what Vig posted.

How about this: we make the physical fitness standards gender neutral. Male or female, it doesn't matter. If you pass it, you move on. If you don't, you are disqualified. Breasts or nuts, it doesn't matter.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:27   #4
Falcon5269
NRA LIFE MEMBER

The US Dept of Injustice

Eric Holder is a fanatical leftist. No real investigation into the IRS scandal but law suits abound for nonsense like this. Political correctness running wild. They are trying to dummy down and weaken law enforcement/ military. Their a**es are not on the line out on the streets. OURS ARE!!! 90% of all female officers I have worked with were useless as solid back up. Thats just a fact. Men and women are different so lets just accept it and move on already. The other 10% of female officers I had no issues with b'cause they could handle the physical and mental aspects of the job. Kudos to those female officers who could hack it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38   #5
Kahr_Glockman

My agency has two female patrol deputies. They are bad asses. They are 5'3" and 5'4".

They are meaner than **** and are great deputies. But they are some of the few women that I know that can effectively do this job.

If the women cant do a dummy drag or other such physical requirements, then they need to evaluate what they are doing. This affirmative action, equal opportunity **** is going to get someone killed. When it happens due to the "standards" being reduced the feds need to be made to pay the lawsuit that the family of the officer files. Or maybe specifically Holder. What a dumb ****.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08   #6
FiremanMike
Way too busy

I don't even think judges care about the law anymore, they just want to make a name for themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33   #7
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Breasts or nuts, it doesn't matter.
What if we have both? I'm pretty sure I'm an A cup or so on a good day...
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:59   #8
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
What if we have both? I'm pretty sure I'm an A cup or so on a good day...
Preoperative transgender cops need love too.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Amen to what Vig posted.

How about this: we make the physical fitness standards gender neutral. Male or female, it doesn't matter. If you pass it, you move on. If you don't, you are disqualified. Breasts or nuts, it doesn't matter.
It is gender neutral - that's why they are being sued.

It's called "disparate impact" - when the test is neutral, it will discriminate against women, if it is a physical test, and against black folks if it is a knowledge/intelligence test. Since the tests apply the same to everybody, the idea is that it is discriminatory to expect them to meet the same standard as a white male.

Last edited by Bren; 07-30-2014 at 12:38..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52   #10
SamRudolph

Did anybody see the test standards? It's the Cooper Test. You know, pretty much the most common LE entrance PT tests in the United States?

.... veerrrrrry interesting implications.
SamRudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 15:18   #11
Schaffer

Take a look at the ACT 120 standards vs the PSP requirements. You're doing a job that is sometimes physical, why should the standards be lower for one persona than another.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 15:23   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
"Tests and selection allegedly produced a pattern of employment discrimination"The last paragraph...Wonder what this will cost Pennsylvania...

What will it cost the citizens wanting help.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 15:39   #13
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
"Tests and selection allegedly produced a pattern of employment discrimination"The last paragraph...Wonder what this will cost Pennsylvania...
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
What will it cost the citizens wanting help.
What do you mean?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 16:02   #14
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Are female cops, hired thanks to such reduced standards, more likely to use deadly force than male cops, capable of passing higher standards?

Will citizens get shot instead of merely punched?

Just wondering if anyone had any reliable studies handy.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 16:31   #15
Tvov

"The practice violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and does not qualify under the law as a business necessity, it said. "

Wait... are they saying that a difficult physical fitness test is NOT a necessity for hiring a police officer??

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 16:36   #16
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Wait... are they saying that a difficult physical fitness test is NOT a necessity for hiring a police officer??
Yes. Heck, aspects of the ADA prevent agencies from enforcing weight standards one would expect of a paramilitary force.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 17:39   #17
Kranq

Halt or I'll call EEO... works every time. Sad on so many levels.

Last edited by Kranq; 07-30-2014 at 17:53..
Kranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 17:44   #18
TK-421

Quite simply put, I think there should be standards to do the job, and if you don't pass those standards then you can't do the job.

"I'm sorry, I can't drag my injured co-worker out of the line of fire because I'm physically incapable of doing so." Should not be an allowed excuse like the justice department wants it to be.

"Jesus died for your sins, right? Get your money's worth."
- Chad Daniels
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 18:10   #19
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahr_Glockman View Post
My agency has two female patrol deputies. They are bad asses. They are 5'3" and 5'4".

They are meaner than **** and are great deputies. But they are some of the few women that I know that can effectively do this job.

If the women cant do a dummy drag or other such physical requirements, then they need to evaluate what they are doing. This affirmative action, equal opportunity **** is going to get someone killed. When it happens due to the "standards" being reduced the feds need to be made to pay the lawsuit that the family of the officer files. Or maybe specifically Holder. What a dumb ****.
Did those two female officers pass the regular old fitness standards, or an adjusted version of them designed to let women in?

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 18:35   #20
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Nobody argues special forces standards..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
FiremanMike is offline   Reply With Quote