Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2015, 17:28   #1
RussP

LA police reportedly spent $22K to get ex-Mexican Mafia leader to dinner

This is related to Calif. governor weighs parole for killer in controversial LAPD lecture.

Quote:
Los Angeles police reportedly spent $22,000 to get ex-Mexican Mafia leader to dinner
Quote:
LOS ANGELES The Los Angeles Police Department used an invalid court order and spent $22,000 to bring an imprisoned killer and former gang leader to speak to an exclusive dinner for private executives, according to a report released Friday.

In all, 38 LAPD employees worked about 320 hours to prepare for the January event at a downtown building and protect Rene "Boxer" Enriquez while he was there, the inspector general of the city's police commission wrote.

What's more, the department didn't have authority in the first place to remove Enriquez from custody because it used an order from a 2012 murder case that has been closed and in any case only allowed his release to act as a witness the departmental watchdog's report said.

Enriquez, an ex-Mexican Mafia leader has been in prison since 1993 on a 20-years-to-life sentence, has gained allies in law enforcement. Gov. Jerry Brown has acknowledged Enriquez's past cooperation with authorities but denied him parole last month, saying his history of violence meant he still presented "an unreasonable danger to society if released."
He was in shackles part of the time...
Quote:
"It was not until the curtain was lifted that the audience saw Enriquez standing on a small stage, in a black business suit, with his hands cuffed to waist chains and his legs in shackles."

Once the handcuffs were removed, he explained who he was and how the Mexican Mafia worked.

Afterward, guests went for a buffet dinner. They were allowed, in pairs, to meet Enriquez who signed copies of a 2009 book about his life.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 18:32   #2
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
"It was not until the curtain was lifted that the audience saw Enriquez standing on a small stage, in a black business suit, with his hands cuffed to waist chains and his legs in shackles."

Once the handcuffs were removed, he explained who he was and how the Mexican Mafia worked.
I know in a lot of jurisdictions where corporations are potential targets for terrorists and/or organized criminals, business leaders and local LE cooperate closely to thwart whatever the threats-of-the-day is and/or long term threats. Part of that cooperation includes the sharing of information and knowledge.

So if the LAPD can spring a Mexican mafia boss from prison for a couple of hours to personally brief local business leaders on how Mexican mafia works and the potential threats they pose, why not?

Even if he got to eat the buffet instead of a prison box lunch, what's the big deal? As long as what he lectured about (ie: Mexican Mafia infiltrating a local business and using it to benefit the Mafia such as money laundering), was useful to even one business from being corrupted/taken over by the Mexican Mafia, it would be worth it.

Los Angeles does have a problem with Mexican criminal elements, right?

In a gun fight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 03-22-2015 at 03:43..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:46   #3
Patchman
Florist

But yes, I can see why this might raise eyebrows.

In a gun fight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 15:01   #4
Pepper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post

So if the LAPD can spring a Mexican mafia boss from prison for a couple of hours to personally brief local business leaders on how Mexican mafia works and the potential threats they pose, why not?

Even if he got to eat the buffet instead of a prison box lunch, what's the big deal?
I'm sorry brother, I usually agree with you, but on this one, the LAPD dropped the ball. Badly.

My answers to your two questions are the same. Because what they did was ILLEGAL. They used fraud and deception to further their own goals, worthwhile goals or not. Anyone who knew that was a vacated order, anyone who was "in the know" committed what I would believe (not totally familiar with CA law) are felonies. This is what white collar criminals do, this is what politicians do, and what we rail against. This smacks of Hillary's quote, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?" during the Benghazi hearings. Yes, no one in LA died because of the stupid illegal acts of those who planned and ordered their officers to carry out this mess, but it sounds the same afterwards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 15:54   #5
steveksux
Massive Member

Good idea, poor execution. Get him a steak dinner delivered, and let him give a presentation by Skype.

Seems like the security requirements would be pretty daunting too. Either the Mexican Mafia might want to kill him or spring him depending on the info he's given up, or liable to give up.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 22:06   #6
jethro21

It may not make financial sense to release this guy in my mind. When I use an informant, paid or working off charges, I am responsible by legal agreement to protect them (when we are working, what they do without my direction is on them).

However, to snitch to the level this guy has, to publish a book and do speaking engagements, there had to have been a well written and negotiated contract with his attorney involved. I would assume this contract involved an agreement for his and his family's protection. If he were to be released having given up all that he has, he would be that much harder to protect (outside of prison walls).

I could be way off but in my mind this guy has put a target on his own back and his family's backs for life. That's a heavy game to play.
jethro21 is offline   Reply With Quote