Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:40   #1
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Caliber Corner problem posters....

Folks,
We've been inundated with reports about people causing arguments in this forum. We've had this problem in other forums such as Political, Religious, AWOT, 1911, GNG, etc. The only way to solve it, considerably, is to get rid of the few who are starting trouble.

I see there are personality conflicts between a few of you. Let me say this, if you participate in these name calling games, and start trouble under the guise of so called patting someone on the back with false praise, you are just as guilty as the next person and your posting privileges will be revoked.

I don't know how to make myself any clearer. We may have to get rid of a few good people, those who won't OR can't get along, to make things bearable for the rest of us.

So we will be reviewing this forum closely. There may be no other warnings to you other than finding out you are no longer able to logon to Glock Talk. Put those of whom you can't get along with on your ignore list. Then IGNORE them.

I'm sorry it has come to this, but a forum this size needs a standard of rules that are adhered to by EVERYONE. We don't ask for much, except to act like ADULTS, and if you are going to disagree, do so with a modicum of civility. I guess some posters are having trouble even with that.

Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Eddie C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 20:24   #2
ponykilr
Reagan man

i was wondering when you all would step in. it's been getting real stupid here lately.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:25   #3
Glock17JHP

Eddie C,
Is it the 'normal thing' to warn prior to removal of priviledges?
Just curious... I've never been warned, so do I assume I am OK at this point?
Old 06-30-2006, 23:12   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Glock21JHP
Eddie C,
Is it the 'normal thing' to warn prior to removal of priviledges?
Just curious... I've never been warned, so do I assume I am OK at this point?
Some(WalterGa for example), get/received NUMEROUS warnings prior to gettin the boot. Some get none. Depends on the violation I presume.

If you cuss out a mod, there's a good chance you won't be warned.

If you just do something stupid, well, you might, you might not... Common sense gets you through most of the rules. Most likely you'd know if Eddie was referring to you...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:19   #5
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by IndyGunFreak
Some(WalterGa for example), get/received NUMEROUS warnings prior to gettin the boot. Some get none. Depends on the violation I presume.

If you cuss out a mod, there's a good chance you won't be warned.

If you just do something stupid, well, you might, you might not... Common sense gets you through most of the rules. Most likely you'd know if Eddie was referring to you...

IGF

Ditto. I usually warn posters ahead of time. Going through this forum the last week or two I have to admit is an eye opener. There are about 5 or 6 posters that are on the edge of getting shown the door. Two or three that only have to breach the rules blatantly, to get express service. They know who they are by the threads I've closed and whom I am referring to. If not, well then they have a surprise coming then.

Glock17JHP, you aren't one of them. Eric, Patricia, and I don't like getting rid of anyone, believe me. We agonize about it and it's not a decision that comes easily. It's just that sometimes you have to sacrifice even a good member for the sake and sanity of all involved. Like I said before, some people just can't <i>or</i> won't get along with others.

WalterGA was a good example of this. He had so much to offer and could of helped make this site a leaven of intellect. He just became too much work for the Mods and Admins.

The Political and Religious forums were getting totally out of hand about 2 months ago. We had to get rid of a handful of members and things are much better now. The ones we got rid of didn't heed the warnings. I'm hoping the posters in this forum are a bit less incredulous.

Eddie C.
"Weapons are tools of power. In the hands of the state they can be the tools of decency or the tools of oppression, depending on the righteousness of that state. In the hands of criminals they are tools of evil. In the hands of free and decent citizens they are tools of liberty. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 07-02-2006, 17:04   #6
SD Glock 20 CCW

Thank you, I was wondering when you were going to step in, the last several weeks were...challenging to say the least, seemed to be a forum for arguing vs information. thanks again.

Peter
Springfield Armory XD .45ACP
Sig Pro 2340
Security against defeat implies defensive tactics;
ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive
SD Glock 20 CCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 19:04   #7
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by SD Glock 20 CCW
Thank you, I was wondering when you were going to step in, the last several weeks were...challenging to say the least, seemed to be a forum for arguing vs information. thanks again.

Peter

No problem Peter. It's just that Bob (true believer) and I need everyones help. If you see someone not abiding by the rules, hit that "Report this post to a moderator" icon at the bottom of the offending post. Then send us a report and we can act on it.

The reports go to the Moderators of that particular forum. If there are no Moderators in that forum, they go to an Administrator (Eric, Patricia, or myself).

Unfortunately we can't read every thread or post, so we depend on helpful members like yourself to give us a heads up on the rules violators. We never divulge who sent the reports. Luckily we usually get many for the real bad ones and we notice them right away.

The good members make Glock Talk what it is. We couldn't do it without you.

Eddie C.
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54   #8
J.P.
Intergalactic

So,Eddie....
Which has more knockdown power?
9mm or 45acp?

I know I've popped off a few times
but I've come to the realization that some folks are beyond educating so I try to recognize them and move on.

Sorry if I've been one of the offenders.

Last edited by J.P.; 07-04-2006 at 08:58..
J.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01   #9
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
So,Eddie....
9mm or 45acp?

but I've come to the realization that some folks are beyond educating so I try to recognize them and move on.

Thanks J.P. Also...................

everyone knows 9mm can stop a charging Grizzly!
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 07-04-2006, 10:49   #10
cobranx
10mm man

May I suggest that you crack down on the 10mm degrading threads. Several of us realize the full potential of this round and others just want to sit and push our buttons. People come in here to be educated on handgun ballistics. It's not at all professional for these arm chair ballistics experts to lead them in the wrong direction. It just feeds the cycle of ignorance. Feel free to PM me concerning this matter as I'd love to express my views...
cobranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:47   #11
Eddie C.
CLM Number A
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by cobranx
May I suggest that you crack down on the 10mm degrading threads. Several of us realize the full potential of this round and others just want to sit and push our buttons. People come in here to be educated on handgun ballistics. It's not at all professional for these arm chair ballistics experts to lead them in the wrong direction. It just feeds the cycle of ignorance. Feel free to PM me concerning this matter as I'd love to express my views...
cobranx, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it doesn't jibe with yours doesn't mean people should be called names. It also doesn't mean they are out to get your goat. Just state your facts and leave it at that. It's when the discussions get ugly and the rules are bypassed that people risk losing their posting ability.

So remember, just because someone doesn't see your side of an issue, it's no reason to get tossed off this site because you <i>have to be right at any cost!</i>

Take the high road and be a bigger person and let them think what they choose. It won't kill you. Believe me.
- Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 07-04-2006, 11:58   #12
cobranx
10mm man

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie C.
cobranx, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just because it doesn't jibe with yours doesn't mean people should be called names. It also doesn't mean they are out to get your goat. Just state your facts and leave it at that. It's when the discussions get ugly and the rules are bypassed that people risk losing their posting ability.

So remember, just because someone doesn't see your side of an issue, it's no reason to get tossed off this site because you <i>have to be right at any cost!</i>

Take the high road and be a bigger person and let them think what they choose. It won't kill you. Believe me.
Alright, totally disregard my opinion...
cobranx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 13:45   #13
SD Glock 20 CCW

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
So,Eddie....
9mm or 45acp?

JP, it's not so much educating, as arguing our points to the degree we digress to meaningless agruments to make a point...right or wrong, we all have our opitions as to what's best or what we think is best & everyone's entitled to their opition. We all know you love the 9, as I do mine, as well as my 40,45 & 10, I for one respect your knowledge, it just seems you get a little carried away sometimes trying to make a point. Their all great calibers in the righr hands.

Peter
Sig Pro 2340
Old 07-04-2006, 14:00   #14
SD Glock 20 CCW

Footnote:

9, 40,45,10 & 357sig are all great calibers with limitations, as long as we understand those limitations & practice & train any of the above will do it's job & do it with complete & total lethality. We educate ourselves on the limitations as well as the merits of a particular caliber thru this & other forums with intellegent posts & research & PRACTICE. I for one have learned a lot in a short time. Thanks for a great forum Eddie.

Peter
Sig Pro 2340
Old 07-04-2006, 15:49   #15
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member

Thanks for stepping in, it was at the point where I wasn't coming to this forum anymore since all the threads were degenerating into caliber wars and personal attacks.
GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 19:01   #16
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I just realized this thread was here.

I acknowledge that I am one of the problem posters referred to in the original post. For that I apologize to all the forum members. In the future I shall endeavor to be a gentleman.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13   #17
10mm4ever
10mm Pusher

I think the point that cobranx was trying to make is simply that if you dont like a caliber, or have no use for it, why continually chime in on a thread to spread misconceptions,etc? If I did that, my entire day would be engrossed on 9mm threads trying to convince people that they dont need it. Some of these people even stereotype with names like "hero warriors",etc. Which in turn leads the "opposing side" to comments about being "recoil sensative",etc. Some are simply infatuated with their "hatred" towards certain calibers(the 10mm being a perfect example). As an example, how can you be a fan of the 9mm, and yet spend more of your time posting on 10mm threads??
10mm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:38   #18
J. Parker

Attacking, not caring for, or disliking a certain calibre or pistol is one thing but doing the same toward an individual is totally different. If I'm talking up my Sig's and somebody states "Sig's blow" I could really care less. To each his or her own I say. If you're in doubt add a smilie at the end. IMO, this changes the intent greatly. Just my thoughts. Trust me. I'm listening to myself. I'm no angel but I'm working on it.
J. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 21:49   #19
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

People have a right to express their opinions on any fourm here so long as they do it without attacking another poster. Its one thing to say the 10mm sucks its another to say such and such poster is a recoil sensitive wimp because he does not like my faviorate caliber. Its all about being mature adults and being able to agree to disagree.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 21:57   #20
SD Glock 20 CCW

Quote:
Originally posted by 355sigfan
People have a right to express their opinions on any fourm here so long as they do it without attacking another poster. Its one thing to say the 10mm sucks its another to say such and such poster is a recoil sensitive wimp because he does not like my faviorate caliber. Its all about being mature adults and being able to agree to disagree.
Pat
You hit it right on the head Pat, state the facts & let people draw their own conclusions, I hate this senseless bickering. Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Go figure. I don't always agree with some of the things I read here but I do my research, analyze the data & draw my own conclusions.

Peter
Sig Pro 2340