Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-20-2012, 15:11   #1
Steve in PA

We lost our German Shepherd today.

Nikki, our German Shepherd was going to be 8 years old in December. She has always been a bundle of energy. I described her as a 3 year old kid on a sugar high!

A few weeks ago, we noticed that she wasn't herself. We took her to our vet, and everything seemed okay. Blood work came back negative and we thought, maybe she was just getting old.

About a week ago we noticed that she was limping badly on her left front leg. Again, we took her to our vet on Thursday and she thought it might be bone cancer. She sent us to another vet with a better x-ray system.

After being evaluated, this vet thought that Nikki might have a tumor on her brachial plexus. She was given some medication and we took her home to wait for the results of some tests.

Nikki wouldn't eat, not even her favorite foods. She would get up to drink water and would even let me know when she needed to go outside. Because Nikki could not walk up or down steps without pain, my wife and I were sleeping downstairs with her.

Around 7 a.m. this morning, Nikki had a seizure. We took her over to the emergency vet hospital, where she passed peacefully. My wife and I are devastated. We love animals, as we also have 2 ferrets and 9 cats. As all animal lovers know, our pets are more than just pets, they are indeed a part of our family. Nikki was a super dog and will be missed greatly. She was my buddy, friend and geocaching buddy. We take comfort in knowing that she is no longer in pain but enjoying herself in doggie heaven.

Gone, but never forgotten.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 15:17   #2
rilkil23

My heart felt condolences. I have had to say goodbye to "Dorie" and Sarge" in the last eight months and it is devastating. All the best.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 15:24   #3
misunderestimated

I am sorry for your loss, I do understand what your going thru. We have been thru it several time. and just signed on again ( recent new GSD).

Again I am sorry
misunderestimated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 15:25   #4
Steve in PA

Thank you, and condolences to you as well.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Old 10-20-2012, 15:26   #5
lethal tupperwa

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

----------------------------------------

GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
lethal tupperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 15:41   #6
eaglefrq
NRA Member

I am very sorry for your loss. It is very difficult when you lose a beloved friend.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You are his life, his love, his leader.

He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Unknown
Old 10-20-2012, 15:49   #7
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I'm sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.

http://www.petloss.com/
Old 10-20-2012, 17:55   #8
757CC

Sorry for you loss. I am a shepherd guy and still remember having to put down Spring my last shepherd when he was 11.....it's never easy but try and remember they are in a better place now! Great looking shepherd!
757CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:02   #9
UtahIrishman
Silver Membership
BLR

My deepest sympathies at your loss. Losing a trusted friend is always hard. I've been there several times.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:03   #10
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Nikki is now being shown around by Thor Vom Baerenzwinger SchH II.
My condolences.
Old 10-20-2012, 18:17   #11
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist

Sorry for your loss. It is a very sad day when you have to say goodbye to any pet.

Paulie

Last edited by GlocksterPaulie; 10-20-2012 at 18:18..
GlocksterPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:22   #12
waawaaweenie

sorry for your loss
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 18:28   #13
engineer151515

Most sorry
Old 10-20-2012, 18:59   #14
Steve in PA

Thank you, thank you.....thank you.

I know I am not the first, nor will I be the last to loose a beloved companion. Right now it is hard, because I expect to see her wherever I look. She was such a big part of our family. Forever underfoot, and always wanting to know what we were going to do or where we were going to go.

We lost a Doberman about 9 years ago and never thought we could own another dog, but then Nikki fell into our laps. She glued herself to me and there was no doubt that we would be adopting her. I know there will be another dog in our future, we just need time.

Again, thank you.
Old 10-20-2012, 22:30   #15
brtarr

I've lost three of my dogs in the last 2 years and know what an empty place that makes in your heart. My dogs have always been just more than pets, they're family and they never live long enough. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you will be able to make room for another four legged friend. The shelters are full of them needing homes.
brtarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 22:51   #16
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Damn, Steve, I'm sorry.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 23:14   #17
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Steve....yes....very sorry for your loss... Nikki looked great in that picture...I know it hurts....In this life..."we" have to suck it up....again...I am sorry for your loss of a Family member....

~ "She has always been a bundle of energy. I described her as a 3 year old kid on a sugar high!" ~
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:00   #18
jdsumner

I'm sorry.

dan
jdsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:23   #19
skew12

Sorry to hear this. GSD's are great dogs!
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 15:55   #20
dober-man

very sorry for your loss. i lost my dobe new years eve and i miss her every day. i just got a dobe pup a few months ago. could not stand not having a stubby tail wagging around the house.
dober-man is offline   Reply With Quote