Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2007, 16:23   #161
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

Whiting with lemmon - tomato butter sauce

Goes with any other white fish.

Sauce
Peel a medium tomato(put in boiling water for about 30 seconds for easy peel), remove all seeds and cut into 5 mm (0.2") pieces.
Cut the skin of a lemon (remove all the white stuff). Cut the lemon pieces between the white membrane and also cut into 0.2" pieces.
Slice a small Spring Onion.

Use a brush to put a thin coat of cream on both sides of the fish.Salt and pepper lightly. Turn in plain flour, shake of any excess.

Give about 1 ounce of butter in a non stick frying pan.Medium Heat. Just let the butter foam. Make sure it does not get brown.
Put in fish, gently cook about 2 minutes on each side. Still make sure butter does not burn
Take out on a plate.

Put an other ounce of butter in the same pan.Again don't burn the butter, just foam. Add the Spring Onions, after about a minute add the lemon.after 30 seconds add the tomatoes. Salt and pepper gently. Other 30 seconds, finished.

Remove and poor over the fish.
Garnish with parsley
Bon appetit

Serve with potato sticks, just simmered in lightly salted water for about 10 minutes.

Most important part for this recipe
Don't burn the butter
Old 01-17-2007, 19:28   #162
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

This one is for Karen

Beef Sroganoff

Original is made with tenderloin (Eye fillet) but can also be made with rump or any tender cut. I always use Angus Eye fillet.

Cut meat into coarse strips like short French frys.

Cut about 6 medium Champignons into coarse slices.
Cut one medium sized onion into half's and then coarse into half rings.
Chop a small bundle of parsley.

Put a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil or Ghee (clarified butter) in a non stick fry pan. (always heat pan first well and then add oil or Ghee)Make sure oil or Ghee is hot enough in order to fry the meat and not cook it.
Ad meat and fry shortly just until meat changes colour. Salt and pepper. Set aside.

Ad butter in the pan, add onions, the mushrooms half a tee spoon of mild paprika, salt and pepper, cook for about 2 minutes, ad about 2 table spoons of cream, toss in some chopped parsley. Put back in the meat, give it another minute just to reheat the meat.
Put on a plate, garnish with some more parsley.
Bon appetit

Goes well with rice or potatoes
Old 01-21-2007, 19:53   #163
MooseJaw
CLM Number 37
NRA Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by digitspaw
Recipe for a glass of water:

One Glass
Just add water.

I prefer to use dehydrated water.. it's easier to store, and lasts longer..

Preparation:

One Glass
Just add water.

MooseJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:33   #164
IHR
Appaloosa Rider

Send a message via AIM to IHR Send a message via Yahoo to IHR
Quote:
Originally posted by MooseJaw
I prefer to use dehydrated water.. it's easier to store, and lasts longer..

Preparation:

One Glass
Just add water.

Good thing no heating required. I'd probably burn the stuff
--- #1719 - OAF, NW Glockers & G1 Niners
IHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 14:07   #165
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

This isn't a recipe, but rather a recommendation of something I ran across that I REALLY took a liking to.

I was putting together the goodies to make a vegetarian burrito dish that calls for seitan as the meat substitute. Not being able to come up with any at that moment, I picked up two packages of "Smart Strips" chicken substitute at the local market. I'm not a big vegetarian, but being the cook for one, I'm frequently getting into weird foods like this.

I put a little olive oil in a skillet over a medium flame, and dumped this stuff in.

Smelled pretty good.

I got 'em to browning up in the skillet, and decided to sample a piece.

Hot dang! Crack on Crack!

Good thing I didn't need all 12 ounces between the two packages for the recipe, 'cause I stood there and ate probably half a pack right out of the skillet.

You owe it to yourself to try these, whether you substitute it for meat or not. VERY YUM!!!!

OX & Alex Forum
Old 01-29-2007, 07:05   #166
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Fruit Liqueurs

This makes for an excellent gift for friends at Christmas, or if properly presented (such as in a heart shaped, corked bottle), one heck of an effective romantic present for that special someone...

Sugar Syrup, aka “Simple Sugar”

The ratio is 1 part water to 2 parts sugar. Boil together for about 5 minutes at a full boil and be sure the sugar dissolves. The syrup MUST be cool before adding to the alcohol mixture, as heat will evaporate the alcohol. 1 cup white granulated sugar + ½ cup water will yield 1 cup of sugar syrup.

Proportions

One cup sugar syrup plus three cups 80 proof vodka will yield 60 proof liqueur. Two cups sugar syrup plus three cups 80 proof vodka will yield 48 proof liqueur.

Raspberry Liqueur

Avoid stained raspberry baskets in the store, as this is a sign of overripe or softened and decayed berries. DO NOT WASH the berries until you are ready to use them, as water will cause mold to form almost immediately (betcha didn’t know that!). Berries should be full-colored and plump.

1 pint fresh raspberries
2 ½ cups vodka
1 whole vanilla bean
¼ teaspoon allspice
1/3 cup sugar syrup

Rinse berries and place in mixing bowl, lightly crushing to release flavor. Add vodka, vanilla bean and allspice. Stir and store in a wide-mouth quart canning jar in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks. Strain mixture through dampened cheesecloth, squeezing as much juice as possible. Pour back in container; add sugar syrup and age for another 3 to 5 weeks.

Pineapple Liqueur

Look for yellow to golden orange color for the sweetest pineapple meat. Avoid greenish color, bruises, discolored areas, soft spots and dried, brown leaves.

2 cups fresh pineapple
2 cups vodka
½ cup sugar syrup

Slice pineapple meat into cubes and combine with vodka in a jar. Steep in a cool, dark place for 1 week. Use cheesecloth to strain and squeeze as much juice from the pineapple as possible. Filter through a coffee maker filter paper until liquid is smooth and pulp-free. Add sugar syrup. Age one month in a cool, dark place.

Pear Liqueur

½ pound Bartlett pears
1 ½ cups spiced rum (Captain Morgan is too sweet for this)
½ cup sugar syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmet
1 clove
1 coriander seed
1 apple, cored and skinned

Slice pears and apple and add to other ingredients, adding sugar syrup last. Stir gently and steep for 3 weeks. Strain with cheesecloth and filter through a coffee maker filter paper. Steep one month.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Santa CruZin; 01-29-2007 at 07:09..
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 00:20   #167
Slobberchops
WTF?!?!?

Chicken Reuben Casserole

preheat oven to 425 degrees.

4 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
1-14oz. can sauerkraut, drained
4 slices swiss cheese
1/2 c. thousand island dressing salt & pepper to
taste

Place chicken into square baking dish, season to
taste, top with sauerkraut, cheese & dressing. Cover
& bake for about 35 minutes.

Serve with pumpernickel toast and applesauce.
"I am here to fight evil and exchange good-natured barbs" -The Tick
Slobberchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 00:36   #168
Slobberchops
WTF?!?!?

German Potato Salad Casserole

OX & Alex Forum

Last edited by Slobberchops; 02-05-2007 at 00:51..
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24   #169
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Stuffed Sweet Peppers

Look for peppers that have squared bottoms, as they sit well in the baking dish. Avoid peppers showing any signs of dehydration (wrinkles).

3 green peppers
3 red peppers
6 tbsp butter
1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
2 garlic clove, crushed
2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 ½ cups long-grain rice
3 ½ cups vegetable stock or broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 lb mushrooms, wiped and sliced
1 ½ cup pine nuts, roasted and hand-chopped
2 tsp soy sauce
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cut a 1 inch lid from the stem end of each pepper. Scoop out the seeds and membranes and discard. Blanch the shells and lids in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain and cool.

2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.

3. Add the stock or broth, tomato paste and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and simmer for 13 to 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.

4. Season well with salt and pepper, and stir in the pine nuts and soy sauce. Use this mixture to fill the peppers.

5. Replace the lids, then put the peppers in an ovenproof dish and pour over the oil. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes.

6. Remove dish from oven, remove foil, carefully remove pepper lids, and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the peppers and filling. Replace the lids and foil, and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.

If you don’t want to add the cheese, ignore step #6 and bake the dish for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!
Old 02-08-2007, 21:14   #170
PeterJasonMN

btt
PeterJasonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 21:17   #171
Slobberchops
WTF?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
btt

good job!
Old 02-08-2007, 21:19   #172
PeterJasonMN

Quote:
Originally posted by Slobberchops
good job!
I had ONE left before the entire first page was mine and I needed to think fast.
PeterJasonMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 21:32   #173
Slobberchops
WTF?!?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
I had ONE left before the entire first page was mine and I needed to think fast.
Old 03-04-2007, 00:58   #174
mnglocker
Rope Czar

Send a message via AIM to mnglocker

mnglockertini:

tumbler
belvedere
garlic sutffed spanish olives.
ice.

hand full of ice in cup

3-4 olives

vodka to the top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mnglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 13:00   #175
Washington,D.C.

French Leek and Ham Shepherd's Pie

French Leek and Ham Shepherd's Pie

This is a very tasty dish and a different way of making a shepherd's pie. Ham, leeks, and potatoes baked in a creamy mashed potato crust.

Original recipe yield:
6 servings
PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 45 Min
READY IN 1 Hr

INGREDIENTS

* 2 1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* salt and pepper, to taste
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds leeks, sliced
* 2 medium tomatoes - peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds cooked ham, thinly sliced
* 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
* 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil a 2 quart casserole dish.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop. Stir in the cream, butter, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and mash until smooth.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion until translucent. Stir in the leek and cook another minute until the leek is soft, but not brown. Mix in the peeled tomatoes, lower the heat, and simmer five minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have lost some of their shape. Stir in the ham and season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread half of the mashed potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Pour in the ham and leek sauce and cover with the remaining mashed potatoes. Brush the surface of the mashed potatoes with the beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle on the shredded mozzarella. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 13:05   #176
Washington,D.C.

French Hamburger

French Hamburger

2 pounds ground beef (any percent fat)
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs (optional)
1/8 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter (doesn't have to be unsalted)
3 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons canned consomme (found in soup section of supermarket)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Soak crumbs in milk. Squeeze to remove excess milk. In bowl, combine moistened crumbs, ground beef, salt and pepper. Mix well. Form into 7 flat patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge with flour.

In large skillet, heat butter. Add patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove meat to heated serving dish and keep warm.

Pour fat off skillet. Add sour cream and consomme and cook for 2 minutes. Correct seasoning. Bring to boil, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of skillet until brown crust is dissolved. (This is called deglazing.) Pour over meat. Serve hot. Serves 4 to 6.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 16:25   #177
Mrs. VR
Administrator

Re: Rats

Quote:
Originally posted by Arizona
No not those kind of rats.

Take a bunch of jalapenos, cut the tops off, and split them down the middle. Scoop the seeds out. Spoon some cream cheese into the jalapeno half, top with a small piece of chicken breast, wrap with half a strip of bacon. Throw them on the grill until the bacon is good and cooked, no need to flip em. If you don't have a grill throw them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at about that temperature. It's been awhile since I cooked em in the oven, but I think it was around 400. Gauranteed you will not be able to eat just one.
I'm grilling some right now.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 22:03   #178
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Ok, here's one I made a couple of nights ago to celebrate the snow melting off the grill. We also have a nearly new Cuisinart Griddler 4 that I wanted to use:

Grilled Chicken Paninis with Sun Dried Tomates and Pesto

6 chicken breast cutlets pounded thin
1 4oz sun dried tomato strips packed in oil
1 2oz jar basil pesto
1 large red onion
1/2 lb Larraine cheese sliced thin (mild swiss flavor)
6 panini rolls
olive oil spray
2 oz package fresh basil
1 bottle Italian salad dressing
salt
pepper
olive oil

Put the chicken in a zip loc bag with the Italian dressing to marinate from 2 hours to overnight. Slice the onion thin and saute until almost caramelized in olive oil. Remove basil leaves from the stems and coarsely chop. To prepare: Turn Griddler on High with the panini grates on. Slice the round tops off the panini rolls. Slice the rolls in half. Spread each bottom with a thin smear of the pesto then place a chicken piece on each. Put a thin layer of onions on that. Put several tomato strips on next. Now sprinkle with chopped basil and give a shake of salt and grind of pepper. Put two slices of the cheese on top folded in half. Put top half of rolls back on. Turn the sandwiches over and spray the bottoms with olive oil then turn over and do the tops. The Griddler will hold three of the panini rolls we get from Wegman's side by side. Close the lid and press down to compress the sandwiches. You want the tops to be browning about the time the inside is hot and the cheese starts melting. Take them off when the tops are nicely browned.

Serve with steak fries and a pickle slice.

All involved thought they were awesome.

Edit to add: Just to be clear, the chicken is grilled. I have a Weber Genesis gas grill. Preheat to 500 degrees then put chicken on. Cook on high turning once until they are done. The Griddler will not cook the chicken in the panini although you could cook the chicken first with it.

Last edited by MtBaldy; 03-29-2007 at 22:22..
MtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:29   #179
evan50150
Soy Chistoso

Send a message via AIM to evan50150
College style chili mac:

2 packages "easy mac" or other 'mac' products
1 can chili with or without beef

prepare separatly, mix, and season to taste.

it takes all of 8 minutes to make and will feed 3-4 college students. goes well with a nice red wine or cheap beer.
Mossberg 500
Rem. Sportsman 58
evan50150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20   #180
paynter2
It ain't over

I made some roasted pork chops this weekend. These were the bone-in kind. I prefer the boneless kind (cut about 3/4" thick), but the bone-in were on sale...

1 medium onion
garlic
small to medium potatoes
carrots
2 cans cream-of-mushroom soup
6 pork chops - 8 if thin

Rub chops with coarse salt and pepper.

Brown (sear) the chops in a medium-hot skillet.

Cut the onion into 1/2 inch rings and lay in the bottom of a small roasting pan.

Put the chops on top of the onions.

peel the potatoes and put around the chops

add carrots around chops too

pour the cream-of-mushroom soup over the chops, potatoes, and carrots.

mince 3 cloves of garlic and spread on top of the soup (over the chops).

put in pre-heated 325 oven for 1.5 hours.

Gravy is 'in the pan' when you're done.

This recipe is much easier than it looks. The only work is mince the garlic, peal the spuds, sear the chops.