Salad:
In Large bowl place the following:
1 head Boston Lettuce
1 head Romaine Lettuce
1 pint sliced strawberries
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 pound cooked crumbled bacon
1/2 cup of toasted almonds

OPTIONS--Substitute spinach leaves for the Boston lettuce for higher fiber. A can of drained mandarin oranges may also be added. Substitute sliced almonds (prepackaged) instead of toasted almonds to save calories. Canned bacon bits (real) may also be used instead of fresh cooked and crumbled bacon. You can also purchase the Brianna Dressing or a Raspberry Vinagrette dressing instead of making the dressing above.
Old 07-01-2006, 16:25   #102
JMag

Saltine cracker(s)
Mayonaise
Worcestershire sauce (variation hot sauce)

Take cracker, add mayo, top with either or both sauces. Enjoy.

JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:36   #103
SouthernGal
What's Up Dox?

Clone for Wendy's Frosty

For all of you ice cream lovers!

Here is a recipe for ice cream that will taste like a Wendy's Frosty. You will need 3 ingredients.

1 ˝ gallon Nestle's Quick Chocolate Milk
1 12 oz container of Cool whip
1 can( I think it is 14 oz) Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

Do not substitute off brands!!!!!!!!! You must use the name brand!

Mix all together in your ice cream freezer container. Add ice, rock salt and man power(or electricity) for churning.

Once frozen, it is best served with a spoon because it is too thick for a straw.

Enjoy!
Old 07-16-2006, 22:32   #104
scratchy wilson
Silver Membership

Anybody got Red Sauce?

My Lady demands a recipe for Red Sauce!

Comply immediately upon receipt.

>Transmission ends<
scratchy wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27   #105
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

This looked REALLY good the other day

Wed, I think. Footnetwork cable channel:

Chicken Saltimbocca Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show: Everyday Italian

6 (3-ounce) chicken cutlets, pounded to evenly flatten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 paper-thin slices prosciutto
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Place the chicken cutlets flat on the work surface.
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
Lay 1 slice of prosciutto atop each chicken cutlet.
Squeeze the frozen spinach to remove the excess water.
Season the spinach with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, toss the spinach with 1 tablespoon of oil to coat.

Arrange an even, thin layer of spinach atop the prosciutto slices.
Sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over each.
Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each chicken cutlet as for a jellyroll.
Secure with a toothpick.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat.
Add the chicken and cook just until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
Add the chicken broth and lemon juice, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer until the chicken is just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a platter.
Simmer the cooking liquid over high heat until it is reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Season the cooking liquid with salt and pepper, to taste.
Remove toothpicks from the chicken.
Drizzle the reduced cooking liquid over the chicken and serve immediately
--------------------------

Saw this one yesterday..... looked really simple but yummy!

Dustin's Chicken Spiedini Recipe courtesy Dustin Walls
See this recipe on air Wednesday Aug. 02 at 1:00 PM ET/PT.
Show: Paula's Home Cooking

3 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
6 ounces Asiago cheese (or any good Italian cheese), cut into 3 (2-inch) cubes
1/2 cup high-quality olive oil
2 cups Italian bread crumbs
4 dried bay leaves
1 large white onion, sliced thickly lengthwise

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a baking pan lightly with cooking spray. Wrap each chicken strips around each cheese cube and secure with a toothpick. Dip chicken in olive oil and then roll in bread crumbs. Place chicken in the baking pan. Top with bay leaves and sliced onions. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked through, and cheese has melted, and bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve.
----------

Early last week up in Flag, I made (among other things) Alton Brown's "Chicken Kiev". Took longer to assemble and such than depicted in Alton's show, but it came out pretty darn good.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:45   #106
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Hey Hunters - just saw this

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._24030,00.html

Quote:
Venison Enchiladas
Recipe courtesy Cowboy Club
Show: $40 a Day
Episode: Sedona, Arizona

2 pounds cubed venison stew meat
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon ground chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
1/2 cup reduced chicken stock
5 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
12 corn tortillas
4 tablespoons canola oil
Red enchilada sauce, recipe follows

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet until almost smoking. Carefully add venison meat, chopped onion and chopped garlic, season with salt and pepper and brown the meat, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder, brown sugar and cilantro. Deglaze this with the chicken stock. Removed from heat and allow to cool. Stir in 3 cups of the shredded cheese.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Soften 12 corn tortillas in a microwave oven, wrapped in a damp cloth for 10 to 20 seconds on high, until soft and pliable. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of venison mix into center of tortilla and roll. Place rolled enchiladas into a lightly oiled baking dish, seam side down. Smother with enchilada sauce and sprinkle remaining colby-jack cheese, to taste. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.

Red enchilada sauce:
1 red bell pepper
2 cups canola oil
1 1/2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
3/4 cup chili powder
1/2tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate
5 cups chicken stock
2 cups brewed coffee
1/2 cup orange juice concentrate

Flame-roast bell pepper until skin is blistered, place in a bowl and wrap with plastic. Allow to cool, then peel, seed, and chop. In a heavy bottom skillet, heat canola oil. Saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic until onions are lightly caramelized. Add tortillas torn into pieces. Add chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, pepper and salt to release oils in the spices, about 1 minute using care not to burn the spices.
Add chicken stock, coffee and orange juice concentrate. Add chocolate, chopped into pieces. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove from heat, carefully blend smooth in a processor or blender in batches (sauce should be smooth but still thick). When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth. Adjust the consistency with additional chicken stock if necessary.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._34099,00.html

Quote:
Venison Loin with Chocolate Infused Sauce
Recipe courtesy Anthony Calamari
Show: Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels
Episode: California Coast

1 (1 1/2-pound) venison loin, or substitute lamb loin
4 cups red wine
4 bay leaves
4 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
4 cups venison stock (or beef stock)
1/4 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup honey
3 ounces olive oil
1 pound chanterelles, cleaned and sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 pounds braising greens
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste

Place the venison loin in a non-reactive bowl or pan and add the red wine, bay leaves, and fresh thyme. Let marinate for 24 hours, refrigerated.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the venison loin from the marinade and pat dry using paper towels. Reserve the marinade and pour it into a non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce over high heat until reduced by half. Add the venison stock and lower the heat to medium-low flame. Reduce again by half, then take off the heat and add the semisweet chocolate and whisk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Keep warm.

Combine the pecans and honey in a small bowl.

Season the venison with salt and pepper. In an oven-safe saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 1-ounce of olive oil. Sear the loin on 1 side until golden brown and turn, then place the pan in the oven for about 8 to 10 minutes. Cook until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the venison loin registers 130 degrees F for medium rare. Remove from pan and allow to rest.

Meanwhile, in a saute pan over high heat, heat 1-ounce of olive oil. Add the chanterelles and season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 4 to 6 minutes or until tender, mixing gradually with a wooden spoon. Reserve.

In another saute pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1-ounce of olive oil. Add garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds. Then, quickly add braising greens and the 4 tablespoons (or to taste) lemon juice. Saute the braising greens until tender, stirring frequently. Reserve.

For plating: Roll the venison loin in the pecan mixture and then slice into 4 portions.

On each dinner plate, add some chocolate sauce and then layer the braising greens, then the chanterelles, followed by the slices of venison loin. Drizzle some of the honey pecan mixture on top of the venison and garnish the plate with a sprig of thyme.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Old 07-28-2006, 22:20   #107
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Re: This looked REALLY good the other day

Quote:
Originally posted by MB-G26
Wed, I think. Footnetwork cable channel:
Huh, who'da thunk it?

Oh yeah, I bet that was some dang good food you fixed
Old 07-31-2006, 01:56   #108
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Oy!

"Footnetwork"

::::::::groan:::::::::::

(Wonder if that's a clue I've had shoes-on-the-brain lately
Old 08-13-2006, 09:58   #109
April
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via Yahoo to April
This poor sticky looked lonely.... Here's that recipe Karen, hope ya like it.

Banana Bread

1/2 c. Shortening (sub margarine)
1/2 c. White Sugar
1/2 c. Light Brown Sugar
1 1/2 c. All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon (or a heavy dash)
3 Medium Ripe Bananas

Preheat oven to 325*. Lightly grease (I prefer to spray, but whatever) 8x4 loaf pan, or whatever plan you're using this time around.

Cream together shortening and sugar. Sift in flour, baking soda and salt. Fold in flour mixture. Blend in cinnamon, vanilla and bananas.

A loaf should take about an hour to bake. Mini muffins took about 20 minutes. Just basically until a round toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for at least 5 minutes.

Note: You can sub the 3 bananas with 1 1/2 c. of any other fruit or veggie. I've considered zuccini, in which case I'd prolly use 1 c. white sugar instead of 1/2 each of white and brown. Experiment a little. This seems to be a pretty resiliant recipe.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:13   #110
WINGS
CLM Number 18
Charter Lifetime Member

A fast no brainer SHRIMP ON THE GRILL

Take Pesto add olive oil - (3 pesto to one oil)in a ZipLoc bag

Marinate shrimp as long as you care to

Put on metal skewers and grill pouring the left over marinade on shrimp after you turn them.

They get nice and blackened and taste great!
WINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 23:55   #111
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

This sounds interesting: "Grilled Berkshire Pork Chop w/Merlot Sauce"

Looks a little wierd, but sounds interesting:

OX & Alex Forum

Grilled Berkshire Pork Chop with Merlot Sauce

Sweet Potatoes:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
Merlot Sauce:
3 cups beef broth
1 cup Merlot wine
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pork chops:
4 (4-ounce) pork chops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

To cook the sweet potatoes: Place them in a medium saucepot and cover with water. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and place them into a food processor. Add the butter and maple syrup and process until smooth and creamy. (The sweet potatoes can also be mashed by hand.) Transfer to a bowl and keep warm or cool and reheat.
To make the sauce: Combine the broth and wine in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat then reduce by one third. Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water until smooth. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the simmering sauce. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat.

To cook the pork: Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper. Brush the chops with oil then cook until barely pink at the center, about 4 minutes per side. Allow the pork to rest for 5 minutes.

Arrange sweet potatoes and pork chops on 2 plates. Spoon sauce around the chops and serve.
Old 08-20-2006, 00:02   #112
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Oh, THIS sounds & looks good!

OX & Alex Forum

Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe courtesy Family Circle Magazine

Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 22 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bag (6 ounces) baby spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 pound capocollo (spicy Italian ham), cut into small dice
1/4 pound provolone cheese, cut into small dice
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 thick-cut (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches) pork chops for stuffing (about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds total)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and the Italian seasoning; cook, stirring, just until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove the spinach mixture to a medium-size bowl; let cool completely. When cool, add the capocollo, provolone cheese and egg; gently stir to combine completely.
Place the pork chops on a flat work surface; cut a slit horizontally to the bone so chop can be opened like a book. Stuff each chop with 1/4 of the stuffing. (If freezing, wrap each chop tightly in freezer wrap, without toothpicks; freeze up to 1 month.) Secure chops with toothpicks.

To cook and serve: If chops are frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight.

Preheat oven to 375 degree F.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet. Add chops; cook 2 minutes per side or until browned. Place chops in single layer in a baking dish just large enough to hold them. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bake the chops in the oven for 15 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 155 degrees on an instant-read thermometer when inserted in the pork. Remove chops to a platter; cover with foil. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes in warm place before serving.
Old 08-20-2006, 00:24   #113
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Where to get "Japanese Breadcrumbs"?

These have been called for in several recipies from the foodnetwork site - but darn if I can find them in any local chain grocery.

Supposedly the main/only difference from 'regular' ones is the Panko/Japanese breadcrumbs are "corser". One of the Alton Brown chicken dishes I posted and did make up in Flag called for them - I just made my own and kinda guessed at it.

Absent a Japanese grocery (not in this town, anyway) any ideas?
Old 08-20-2006, 19:06   #114
Zonny

Mb I think you can buy Panko in the Asian section of your basic market. Have you tried Fry's?
Zonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 19:45   #115
G20man32904
Deceased

bump for later reading
Old 08-20-2006, 20:39   #116
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Drivin' Blind

Quote:
Originally posted by Arizonny
Mb I think you can buy Panko in the Asian section of your basic market. Have you tried Fry's?
No, I haven't been in a Fry's yet while shopping for recipe specifics.... Bashas' doesn't have squat, and Safeway's 'ethnic' grocery section is fairly limited. Sometimes I hit the Fry's at the 101 and Shea, tho, on the way home from the Ftn. Hills nursing home - there's a thought. I think the best 'ethnic' or 'asian' section I've seen over time was in an Albertsons - but since they are usually the most expensive of the chains in our immediate area, I don't often go there. I'll keep Fry's in mind. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30   #117
smith10
10MM WOOOOOOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas

2 packages flour tortillas

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 small cans diced green chilies

2 lbs shredded cheese (can be longhorn, cheddar, monterey jack, or a combo)

1 pint sour cream

Mix, soup, chilies, sour cream, and half of cheeses. Fill each tortilla with *about* 3 Tbsp of filling. Place filled tortillas in baking pan sprayed with non-stick spray and cover with the rest of the cheeses. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Made this for lunch,added shredded chicken.
For the hard men to get me out
smith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 18:38   #118
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

Re: OAF recipes

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Powell
ROAD KILL SANDWICH PATTIES, possum cold cuts

Drive around til you find a recently deceased possum about one half inch thick. Take a propane torch and singe all the hair off. Bake in 100 degree oven for about two and a half minutes. After refrigerating use scissors to cut cold possum into hamburger bun sized square patties. Hence the name.

Since they get a little chewy when they're too thick, if it's more than about half an inch, run your car back and forth over it til it's about the right thickness.

Where did you get this one from.
This is an old secret TASSI recipe, but originally with wallaby or Wombat
Old 09-06-2006, 11:50   #119
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Years ago, living single, I found myself preparing lots of those chili kits with the little bags of spices that you add meat, tomato and beans to. After doing that for a while I figured I didn't need the kits anymore and set out to make a recipe as good or better. This is pretty much what I came up with and I still make it today. People seem to really like it.

Chili

2 lbs ground round or lean ground beef
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 15 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp dry cilantro or 2 Tbs fresh chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 1/2 cup water
2 15 oz. cans pinto beans
4 Tbs. chili powder, use rounded Tbs.
3 Tbs. cumin, use rounded Tbs.
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper, or to taste

In bottom of Dutch oven (or separate skillet) sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté additional 30 seconds. Do not burn garlic. Remove garlic and onions from the pan. Add meat and cook until brown. Drain excess grease Add onions and garlic back to the meat. Add tomatoes to meat, onion, and garlic. Add water, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, salt, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, and cilantro. Bring to a boil and simmer for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain pinto beans and add to chili. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Check for seasoning and consistency. Serve in bowls with chopped lettuce, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese, if desired..

Note: 1/4 tsp. red pepper makes it “1 Alarm Chili”. My choice would be to add a full teaspoon red pepper (or more) to make it “4 Alarm Chili” but then I would be the only one in our house eating it. Be guided by your, and your guests, tolerance for heat.

Enjoy.
MtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 14:25   #120
Mrs. VR
Administrator

this is not mine, just saw it online and don't wanna lose it:

1 1/3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup canned chopped green chiles, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup fat-free sour cream
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's)
1 garlic clove, minced
Cooking spray
24 (6-inch) corn tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
2 cups (8 ounces) finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine the first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

Spread 1 cup soup mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 6 tortillas over the soup mixture, and top with 1 cup chicken and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Spread remaining soup mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 335(29% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 5.9g,mono 2.7g,poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 23.9g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 270mg; SODIUM 693mg; FIBER 3.2g; IRON 1.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 34.3g

Theresa Marquez

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2003

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote