Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2006, 17:11   #61
cashisking

Quote:
Originally posted by crochetmama
so I can bookmark this post.
Why do you want to bookmark a sticky post???

sounds messy!!

but now I have a black dot, just incase it isn't sticky anymore!
Old 04-06-2006, 05:50   #62
Bullman
Ahhhhhhh, Bach

Quote:
Originally posted by cashisking

sounds messy!!

If you bookmark it, then when the next great recipe gets posted, you get e mail notification so you can check it out, and maybe try something new for supper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

How DUI enforcement should really work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Bullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53   #63
c-mama

Quote:
Originally posted by cashisking

sounds messy!!

Well, I bookmarked my post. I'm expecting this thread to get good and long and when I want to make the meatballs, I don't want to have to wade through pages and pages just to find the recipe.

c-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:12   #64
proshooter

Salsa

This is the best salsa I have ever tasted. I got it off of a cooking show on PBS a while back.

2 cups toamtoes (diced)
1 cup chopped onion
couple of "branches" of fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
1 fresh jalepeno pepper
2 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp Ketchup (give or take)

Combine diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro and lemon juice in a dish. (I sometimes place half of the tomatoes in a blender so that the salsa is not as chunky) Take the jalepeno pepper and cut it into four parts length-wise. Remove all of the seeds, and cut one strip in half (so it is one-eighth). Chop the 1/8 pepper VERY FINE, and add it to the dish. Crush the garlic just enough to remove the skin, then chop the garlic. Add it to the dish. Add Ketchup to increase thickness of salsa.

If you like it really hot, you can try adding more jalepeno pepper, or even get some habanero pepper.

Note: You may want to wear rubber gloves when handling the jalepeno pepper. The juice does not wash off your hands. Everything you touch will BURN LIKE FIRE! I had a rather unpleasant experience going to the bathroom after making this recipe. It still brings back painful memories.
proshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:26   #65
proshooter

Steak - N - Shake Chili

I have always enjoyed Steak - N - Shake chili. I get a bowl of it every time I go there. I got a copy-cat recipe off the internet some years ago. The actual recipe is a well guarded secret, but this tastes just like the real thing!

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. salt
10 oz. can of French Onion soup
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
20 oz. - 22 oz. can of Chili Hot beans in chili gravy
6 oz. can tomato paste
8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp Hershey's Cocoa Powder
10 oz. Coca-Cola (not diet)

Brown the ground beef and crumble it. The key is to have pretty good sized pieces of meat. Place ground beef and all other ingredients in a crock pot, and mix well. Be careful to only use 10 oz. of Coke. The cans are actually 12 oz. and if you use the whole can, it will be too sweet. Cover the crock pot, and heat on High for about 2-3 hours.

Can be served with chopped onions, cheese and Fritos if desired.
proshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 18:48   #66
kcb
Southern Lady

Re: Steak - N - Shake Chili

Quote:
Originally posted by proshooter
I have always enjoyed Steak - N - Shake chili. I get a bowl of it every time I go there. I got a copy-cat recipe off the internet some years ago. The actual recipe is a well guarded secret, but this tastes just like the real thing!

2 tsp Hershey's Cocoa Powder
10 oz. Coca-Cola (not diet)

Can be served with chopped onions, cheese and Fritos if desired.

Speaking of Restaurant Chili's and "secret ingredient's", my sister's husband grew up in Cincinnati,Ohio. He took me and my sister back there, after they married, before I married, and took us to "Skyline Chili". Their Chili is delicious. They have 3-way, 4-way, etc. His favorite that he taught us is over spaghetti, with cheddar cheese and onion.

For years, he tried to recreate their recipe and just about did...finding "Chocolate" to be a secret of their recipe too.

If you have Publix Grocery Stores in your area, they have it in their Entre Frozen Section. You can PM me, if you find it and want to know how to serve it! We have introduced it to just about all of our friends and it is always a favorite food at our home, and a favorite memory!
kcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 18:58   #67
kcb
Southern Lady

Re: OAF recipes

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Powell
ROAD KILL SANDWICH PATTIES, possum cold cuts

Drive around til you find a recently deceased possum about one half inch thick. Take a propane torch and singe all the hair off. Bake in 100 degree oven for about two and a half minutes. After refrigerating use scissors to cut cold possum into hamburger bun sized square patties. Hence the name.

Since they get a little chewy when they're too thick, if it's more than about half an inch, run your car back and forth over it til it's about the right thickness.

AND my husband wants me to copy this and e-mail it to him!

I am going to...STOP letting cook so much at night!

kcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33   #68
Eagles1181
Flying High

OX & Alex Forum

Isa 40:31 "Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary."

OAF# 1181
Eagles1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53   #69
Bill Powell
CLM Number F
Cross Member

OAF recipes

This morning I find myself a little hongry around the mouth, so I will try a meal presented by brother Dave many years ago.

I'm gonna have me some Kosher charcoal broiled sows ears, some stewed tomater sandwiches (so you gotta lift and eat fast lest it fall through the crust), some RC colas, some moon pies, and some after dinner lippin' and spittin' snuff.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:38   #70
JByer323
Is it dead?

Send a message via AIM to JByer323

Beer Can Chicken

First off, you need one of these and a drip pan if doing it in the oven.

Ingredients
  • One medium sized chicken
  • A can of beer, your choice of brand, not a tall boy
  • Your choice of rub (I'll post my recipe soon) or
  • Your choice of injectable marinade
  • Small onion or potato
  • Various spices and seasonings that suit your tastes. I like a clove or two of garlic, some Mrs. Dash, a tad of chopped ginger, Liquid Smoke, and whatever else looks good at the time.

The Directions
There are two ways to do this, either on the grill, or in the oven. I'm going to go on a limb and assume you all know how to bake a chicken in the oven, and the times and temp isn't any different on this. The grill is more difficult. Heat is important, as is time. There's a real art to it, and I'm just getting good at baking stuff over a grill.

Anyway, the prep. Clean and trim your chicken. Most chickens I've gotten recently they have neglected to cut the neck off. Use kitchen shears to trim that bad boy off. Once your chickie is looking good, set him aside.

Take your can of beer. Open it. Drink half of it. Don't drink more if it. Seriously. Might as well get an extra one for you too. Right now, check out the link to that rack I posted. I got mine at Gander Mountain, but Wally World sells them too. Our family has four of them, two singles, and a double. The beer can goes in the rack, and the chicken goes down over the beer.

Before you put the chicken over the beer though, add your spices and such to the beer. Your garlic, liquid smoke, cajun spices, whatever flavor you like. This is what makes it fun. Experiment. You can't mess it up.

Now slide the chicken over the beer can. He may not like a can of beer going up his ass, but it's got to go all the way in. Don't force it, just ease it in. God that sounded wrong. Now plug that bad boy's neck up with your onion or potato. You may have to cut down the potato, and peel off layers of onion. I prefer onion for the flavor. This traps in the moisture from the beer.

Add your rub, or inject your marinade. No real reason to use an injector with this method of cooking, but if you're a fanatic, go for it I guess.

Make sure the chicken is in a drip pan, and arranged all prettily. Legs and wings in good positions, etc. Isn't he cute? Slap that bad boy in the oven.

Now, when you pull him out, you're going to have a treat. The skin will be nice and crisp, but the chicken will be moist as can be. Remove the chicken from the rack carefully, without pouring hot beer on yourself. I find it helps if you Pam the rack before the chicken goes on.

Carve him up.

The Notes
Anything in a can could be used for this. I've used Classic Coke before, which I really liked. Sprite makes a more tropical meal, which goes really well with grilled smoke sausage and pineapple.

I'm in the process of making up some smaller racks for rock cornish game hens as well, to use with the small cans of fruit juice/nectar.

I do apologize for the long post, but this one is different. Try it, and I promise you'll love it. It's the best chicken you have ever had, and even if you don't like chicken, you'll like this. Big family? Do several. A canjun flavored, a BBQ flavored, etc. Most I've done at a time was six.

If you really enjoy grilling, these four books are great. I've used and abused them, and always find more stuff to try in them. I know Gander Mountain has them.

The Barbecue! Bible
BBQ USA: 425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America
Beer-Can Chicken: And 74 Other Offbeat Recipes for the Grill
Barbecue! Bible: Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes
Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal, these are principles that every man of every faith can embrace. These are not polite suggestions, these are codes of behavior and those of you that ignore them will pay the dearest cost.
JByer323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:39   #71
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullman
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate
OX & Alex Forum
OX & Alex Forum

I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 18:09   #72
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
My Uncle's always called it Drunk Chicken. He's done it using Diet Dr. Pepper once or twice, too.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:28   #73
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Korean Beef Short Ribs (aka crack on crack on crack)

4 pounds beef short ribs, cross-cut less than 1/2" thick.
2 cups soy sauce (preferably Tamari)
1 1/2 - 2 cups sake
8 Tbsp sesame oil
8 full shallots, sliced thin
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup wildflower honey
2 tsp ground cayenne
10 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
8 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1 1/2 cup toasted sesame seeds

Combine everything but the ribs, mix well (I'll sometimes nuke it for a couple minutes just to get the sugar and honey to dissolve fully, but don't get it too hot 'cause you don't want it to cook the meat while marinading).

Marinade ribs in solution for 3 or 4 hours.

Cook ribs on HOT (450-500F) grill for 2-3 minutes per side. The sugar in the marinade will start a grill fire, so be ready for it. You want to caramelize the sugar slightly, and keeping the meat in the flames will help this, but pay attention because things happen fast. Do NOT walk away from the grill while cooking this stuff! It takes a bit of a touch to get this right, so try it a few times and tweak the marinade to your liking.

OX & Alex Forum

OX & Alex Forum

OX & Alex Forum

OX & Alex Forum

OX & Alex Forum

Last edited by Santa CruZin; 11-01-2010 at 09:30..
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:41   #74
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

That does sound yummy.

Did I read right - TWENTY CLOVES OF GARLIC?!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:43   #75
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes (from Rachel Ray's cookbook)

1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 ounces, 1/4 cup, chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 really ripe bananas, mashed up
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup, melted, plus additional for buttering skillet
Maple syrup or honey, for drizzling

Here’s a great tip: if you cannot find really ripe bananas, just nuke them in the microwave for about 15 seconds and they will become super soft for mashing.

Mix dry ingredients, the first 7, in a bowl. In a another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, the next 4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined, then fold in the mashed up bananas and the raisins. Stir in the melted butter.

Heat a griddle over medium heat and brush with additional melted butter. Cook pancakes, each about 1/3 cup, until bubbles form on the top, then turn. Cakes will cook in about 2 minutes on each side. Keep pancakes tented with foil as they come off the griddle to keep them hot. Serve with drizzled honey or maple syrup over the top.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47   #76
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Crunchy French Toast (also from Rachel Ray's cookbook)

8 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 pinches salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or freshly grated
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups corn flakes, lightly crushed
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly crushed
4 tablespoons butter
12 (1 1/2-inch-thick) slices challah bread or soft "Italian" style bread

n a shallow dish, beat together with a wire whisk: eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon. In a second shallow dish combine flakes and nuts. Add 2 tablespoons butter to warm skillet. Place a cookie sheet lined with foil (for easy clean-up) near the stove. Coat 4 to 6 slices of bread in egg, depending on the size of your skillet, then coat bread in cornflakes and nuts. Cook slices 2 minutes on each side and transfer toast to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining slices and transfer toast to oven. Bake 10 minutes in 350 oven.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:00   #77
Patricia
CLM Number 180
Wild at heart

Apple Crisp (from the Barefoot Contessa)

I changed her wording around a bit though.

I will tell you that I think her prep time estimate of 20 minutes is WRONG WRONG WRONG. It took me a heck of a lot longer to peel core and cut that many apples. SO worth it though. And you gotta serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.

5 lbs apples (she says McIntosh, but I used Gala cause they were on sale, and didn't notice a difference)

grated zest of 1 lemon

grated zest of 1 orange

2 tablespoons fresh orange juice

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping:

1 1/2 cups flour

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup oatmeal

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9 baking dish.

Peel, core, and cut apples into large chunks. (you might be cursing me after you get all that done, but trust me, it is worth it). Combine apples with the zests, juices, 1/2 cup sugar, and spices. Pour into dish (and make sure you sample a piece of apple first )

For the topping, combine flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and butter. (She says to use the paddle attachment of your mixer. I don't have that, so I just pressed with a fork until I got the pieces "pea" sized). Spead over apples.

Place on a baking sheet covered with foil (unless you really LIKE cleaning your oven). Bake 1 hour or until top is brown. (Since everything cooks slower at my altitude, and I don't like the apples crunchy, I always poke one with a fork, and yes, sneak a taste, to be sure they are done)
Old 05-01-2006, 11:47   #78
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
That does sound yummy.

Did I read right - TWENTY CLOVES OF GARLIC?!

You read that right.

Five cloves per pound.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57   #79
proguncali
CLM Number 123
1911-2004

This is the crack to rule all crack recipe. If you try to argue with me, I will come to where you are and punch you in the neck.

Preheat oven to 35Q0
Butter and flour a l2”x l8”x 1”pan.
Melt over simmering water:
1 lb. butter
1 lb. semi-sweet chocolate
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
Stir, do not beat:
6 eggs
3 T. instant esspresso (Medaglia d’Oro)
2 T. vanilla
2 ½ c. sugar
Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture, Let cool to room temperature.
Sift:
1 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
lt.salt
Mix into chocolate mixture.
Toss:
3 c. chopped walnuts
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ c. flour
Blend into chocolate mixture. Transfer to pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and rap on table to release air. Bake for another 15 minutes. Do not overbake! Makes 20 large brownies or 72 small ones.

Then to crack it up a little more....

Get a large piece while it's hot.
Put a large scoop of French Vanilla ice cream in it and a slathering of hot fudge on that.

Disclaimer: I will not be responsible for you eating the whole pan and having to buy all new clothes.
Brace yourself for the tsunami of stupid that is about to hit...
I think, perhaps, it is time for a moment of silent meditation to Saint Fu.
proguncali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:21   #80
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Hey Rees, that recipe SUCKS. Start driving.

-Eric in Madison, MS.

Last edited by Santa CruZin; 05-07-2006 at 11:58..
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote