Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2014, 18:28   #1
DIXIE DUCK

Have experience with Tech-sights? I'd love to know...

The front sight on one of my Romanian builds is absolutely stuck and the windage is a bit off. I don't really want an optic on this gun and it seems like a set of tech-sights would be a nice upgrade while solving my front sight issue.

They ain't cheap but I've heard good things about them so far and would appreciate any input from you folks here who have experience with this product.
Old 10-08-2014, 16:12   #2
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Pass. They make the gun harder to field strip and clear malfunctions. Get a good sight tool and fix the front sight appropriately.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 17:00   #3
DIXIE DUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Pass. They make the gun harder to field strip and clear malfunctions. Get a good sight tool and fix the front sight appropriately.
If only you knew Ive tried multiple front sight tools, propane torches, and different weights of sledge hammers. It aint goin anywhere.
Old 10-08-2014, 17:13   #4
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIE DUCK View Post
If only you knew Ive tried multiple front sight tools, propane torches, and different weights of sledge hammers. It aint goin anywhere.
Is the windage drum stuck, or are you trying to rotate the entire FSB?
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 21:41   #5
DIXIE DUCK

The windage drum is very stuck. My original plan was going to be a red dot on this gun but even with that I would be without irons for backup. I'm starting to think Id prefer a good set of sights on this gun. Even if I got the front sight right I would still be unhappy with the stock rear. My intention now is to solve both problems with the techsights if they are a decent product.

Last edited by DIXIE DUCK; 10-10-2014 at 21:41..
DIXIE DUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 21:55   #6
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
The windage drum is very stuck. My original plan was going to be a red dot on this gun but even with that I would be without irons for backup. I'm starting to think Id prefer a good set of sights on this gun. Even if I got the front sight right I would still be unhappy with the stock rear. My intention now is to solve both problems with the techsights if they are a decent product.
They're decent, but what if you max out the windage of the tech sights? For the reasons I stated before, I don't like them. They are a quality product, but have too many issues with the design for me.

Have you tried soaking the assembly in penetrating oil then cranking on it with a sight tool?
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
Old 10-10-2014, 22:19   #7
Inebriated

Quote:
If soaking the drum in penetrating oil doesn't loosen it up, you could always just replace the entire FSB.

Can get one for $30 from Rifle Dynamics, and all you need is a punch and a non-marring hammer to install it. Drift out old pins, hang on to the detent and spring, and just whack on it with the non-marring hammer. It'll come right off. Then whack the new one on, re-install detent and pins, and you're golden. Also, that would be your opportunity to fix any cant in the FSB if there's any. Could walk you through that if needed.

And what don't you like about the rear sight?

I'm not trying to talk you out of Tech Sights, I think they're just fine for a range rifle, but you know, if you could just spend $30 on a new FSB, that'd obviously be ideal.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 10-10-2014 at 22:21..
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 23:42   #8
DIXIE DUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
If soaking the drum in penetrating oil doesn't loosen it up, you could always just replace the entire FSB.

Can get one for $30 from Rifle Dynamics, and all you need is a punch and a non-marring hammer to install it. Drift out old pins, hang on to the detent and spring, and just whack on it with the non-marring hammer. It'll come right off. Then whack the new one on, re-install detent and pins, and you're golden. Also, that would be your opportunity to fix any cant in the FSB if there's any. Could walk you through that if needed.

And what don't you like about the rear sight?

I'm not trying to talk you out of Tech Sights, I think they're just fine for a range rifle, but you know, if you could just spend $30 on a new FSB, that'd obviously be ideal.
You know I think I avoided the penetrating oil out of fear of damaging the delicate duracoat but it needs a redo anyway so I will give that a try, I bet it will work. If not new fsb is something I could do.

About the rear sight...It's fine I just don't care for the style of it and the radius is kinda short. I like a ghost ring.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01   #9
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
You know I think I avoided the penetrating oil out of fear of damaging the delicate duracoat but it needs a redo anyway so I will give that a try, I bet it will work. If not new fsb is something I could do.

About the rear sight...It's fine I just don't care for the style of it and the radius is kinda short. I like a ghost ring.
I'm not sure penetrating oil would damage duracoat. It isn't a finish I would call "delicate". I paint all my rifles with Krylon, so refinishing is easy.

The short AK radius is about the same as an M4 carbine. The shorter sight radius, while not as great for accuracy, allows for faster aquistion sight alignment and sight picture. I have gone up against people using various rifles in timed accuracy contests and have beaten an AR-15 or two with my AK.

I prefer the ghost ring sights, too. But with practice, AK sights work fine for ranges within the limit of the rifle.

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 10-11-2014 at 09:03..
Old 10-13-2014, 14:20   #10
DIXIE DUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
I'm not sure penetrating oil would damage duracoat. It isn't a finish I would call "delicate". I paint all my rifles with Krylon, so refinishing is easy.

The short AK radius is about the same as an M4 carbine. The shorter sight radius, while not as great for accuracy, allows for faster aquistion sight alignment and sight picture. I have gone up against people using various rifles in timed accuracy contests and have beaten an AR-15 or two with my AK.

I prefer the ghost ring sights, too. But with practice, AK sights work fine for ranges within the limit of the rifle.
That is something I will think on. Before I scoped my saiga 308 I did quite a bit of shooting with the sights and was able to make some very accurate shots. I'll give the fsb a good soaking and try again and if that doesn't do it a new fsb will. Then a little more range time with the stock sights before I make any changes. Thanks for all the input folks!