GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 23:18   #1
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!
 
Airborne Infantryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 3,335
What is the best off-the-shelf AK that money can buy?

I'm in the market for an AK-47. I'm not looking at a 74.....I'd rather have a 47 in 7.62x39.

I've heard Arsenal is pretty good......specifically the SLR-107FR

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf solution; no custom builds.

My only plan for mods is maybe a VFG or an AFG. Not looking to add an optic really....just wanna keep it simple.

Money is not an issue.

My only requirements are-

- Chambered in 7.62x39
- Side-folding stock
- Decent finish on the exterior

Please point me in the right direction.

Last edited by Airborne Infantryman; 03-08-2014 at 23:19..
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 23:30   #2
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership
*********
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,702
Arsenal would be hard to beat.


A converted Izhmash would also be awesome, but it would be a Saiga turned back into it's original military form. Off the shelf, i'd still stick with Arsenal. Not gonna be cheap.
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 00:25   #3
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,276
The SLR-107FR can't be beat for new production, non-custom AK. I'm unaware that anything even comes close. The Arsenal SAM7SF series would be "better" if you prefer milled (I don't).

Also, avoid the AVG/VFG on AKs, it interferes with magazine changes.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08   #4
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!
 
Airborne Infantryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
The SLR-107FR can't be beat for new production, non-custom AK. I'm unaware that anything even comes close. The Arsenal SAM7SF series would be "better" if you prefer milled (I don't).

Also, avoid the AVG/VFG on AKs, it interferes with magazine changes.
I've read that "milled" receiver AK's are a solution looking for a problem, so to speak.

Have you found this to be the case?

While money isn't an issue, I still want to make sure my money is going as far as it can go.

Milled receiver AKs seem to be "unnecessary" from my research....

Duly noted in regard to the AFG, VFG advice; when I get an AK, I'm going to run it in its stock form to see what, if anything needs improving.

As silly as it sounds, I want an AK only because I've been shot at by them so many times....LOL. I respect the weapon system, and feel as if my collection would benefit from a weapon that shoots ammo that is $230 per 1000 rounds.

Last edited by Airborne Infantryman; 03-09-2014 at 01:27..
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09   #5
ArmoryDoc
Senior Member
 
ArmoryDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,897
Arsenal for a production gun and Krebs for custom. I love my SGL 21.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app
ArmoryDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:12   #6
iLift45's
Senior Member
 
iLift45's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 422
Check out Rifle Dynamics. Jim Fuller builds some unreal AK's!
__________________
NRA Life Member
G19, G20, (2)G26, G34

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in every language. - Clint Smith
iLift45's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:47   #7
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,987


Quote:
Originally Posted by iLift45's View Post
Check out Rifle Dynamics. Jim Fuller builds some unreal AK's!
__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55   #8
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 5,163
Arsenal Rules

The Kalashnikov Klub
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59   #9
adamg01
Senior Member
 
adamg01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: va
Posts: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLift45's View Post
Check out Rifle Dynamics. Jim Fuller builds some unreal AK's!
I'd rather have a Krebs personally but Fuller is great as well.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 14:18   #10
SmithietheFox
Senior Member
 
SmithietheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 761
I'll echo the votes for an Arsenal! If $ really isn't an issue buy a Valmet
__________________
"Always believe in someone who is seeking the truth, never believe in someone who has found it."
-S. Josef.

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles, German Weatherbys, and Stoner 63A parts.
SmithietheFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:25   #11
G23c
Senior Member
 
G23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 4,030
Agreed, off the shelf, Arsenal is a good choice. I have SGL-21 (Russian), SA M7 and SLR's (Bulgarian). good fit and solid shooting rifles. Load up on mags.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 16:16   #12
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
I've read that "milled" receiver AK's are a solution looking for a problem, so to speak.

Have you found this to be the case?

While money isn't an issue, I still want to make sure my money is going as far as it can go.

Milled receiver AKs seem to be "unnecessary" from my research....

Duly noted in regard to the AFG, VFG advice; when I get an AK, I'm going to run it in its stock form to see what, if anything needs improving.

As silly as it sounds, I want an AK only because I've been shot at by them so many times....LOL. I respect the weapon system, and feel as if my collection would benefit from a weapon that shoots ammo that is $230 per 1000 rounds.
Milled was the answer to Russia not initially having quality stamping equipment. It may add a small amount of accuracy, but not enough to justify the increased cost and weight.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 17:36   #13
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,987


As the owner of both stamped and milled AK's, I could never tell the difference in accuracy between the 2 rifles. They shoot the same.

The biggest difference is the weight.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockdude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 17:44   #14
barth
six barrels
 
barth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Free Zone
Posts: 5,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
As the owner of both stamped and milled AK's, I could never tell the difference in accuracy between the 2 rifles. They shoot the same.

The biggest difference is the weight.

My stamped Bulgarian SLR-106U Suchka is a tack driver.
IMHO at 5.5 lbs it's a perfect PDW.
I've got no interest in a heavier milled AK.

Last edited by barth; 03-09-2014 at 17:44..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 20:31   #15
G23c
Senior Member
 
G23c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 4,030
I agree, no significant difference in shooting milled versus stamped.
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:20   #16
GlockViking
Senior Member
 
GlockViking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: An Uncommon Commonwealth
Posts: 1,007
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
I'm in the market for an AK-47. I'm not looking at a 74.....I'd rather have a 47 in 7.62x39.

I've heard Arsenal is pretty good......specifically the SLR-107FR

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf solution; no custom builds.

My only plan for mods is maybe a VFG or an AFG. Not looking to add an optic really....just wanna keep it simple.

Money is not an issue.

My only requirements are-

- Chambered in 7.62x39
- Side-folding stock
- Decent finish on the exterior

Please point me in the right direction.
I second the Arsenal, but unless they have fixed their painting/coatings, I'd take it directly from the purchase point to a licensed Cerakote applier and get the flat black coating...it's worth the $175 - $200.
__________________
Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
GlockViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 16:48   #17
Airborne Infantryman
'Murica!
 
Airborne Infantryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 3,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockViking View Post
I second the Arsenal, but unless they have fixed their painting/coatings, I'd take it directly from the purchase point to a licensed Cerakote applier and get the flat black coating...it's worth the $175 - $200.
I'm most likely going to go with the Arsenal SLR-107FR, and take it to get sprayed in Cerakote.

Hmmm.....I wonder what an FDE AK would look like?
Airborne Infantryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 23:33   #18
WayaX
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
WayaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
I'm most likely going to go with the Arsenal SLR-107FR, and take it to get sprayed in Cerakote.

Hmmm.....I wonder what an FDE AK would look like?
Cerakote? I just hit them up with krylon camo paint. Properly cured, it's about as durable as the factory Arsenal finish. If it starts to chip, just touch it up. If you want factory black, Flat black high heat engine enamel is more durable.
__________________
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:09   #19
GlockViking
Senior Member
 
GlockViking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: An Uncommon Commonwealth
Posts: 1,007
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Infantryman View Post
I'm most likely going to go with the Arsenal SLR-107FR, and take it to get sprayed in Cerakote.

Hmmm.....I wonder what an FDE AK would look like?
Pretty f$%##ing awsome I would think!
__________________
Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
GlockViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14   #20
GlockViking
Senior Member
 
GlockViking's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: An Uncommon Commonwealth
Posts: 1,007
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayaX View Post
Cerakote? I just hit them up with krylon camo paint. Properly cured, it's about as durable as the factory Arsenal finish. If it starts to chip, just touch it up. If you want factory black, Flat black high heat engine enamel is more durable.
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/

Not trying to be a jerk...trying to learn something, but where would the flat black high heat engine enamel fall in this spectrum? Even if the color wears off, the ceramic is bonded to the metal surface, so even if you see shiny metal, it is protected.
__________________
Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
GlockViking is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,169
299 Members
870 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 16:42