GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:01   #1
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
How's my refinish Job?

Figured I would refinish the wood on my WASR this summer. I've gotten tired of the crappy non finished stocks.

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

I got all the supplies at Home Depot for around $30. Minwax Pre Stain, Stain (Sedona Red), and glossy Poly. Some course, medium and fine sand paper and foam brushes and I was on my way.

It didn't come out as red as I wanted. But I do think it looks good. I sanded it down to really light fresh wood and used the pre stainer per the instructions. I put 3 coats of stain on. I'm not sure if more would have helped or not. That's three coats of the Poly as well.

How'd I do? That's the first wood finishing work I've ever done.

I know it's just a WASR, but I got it when they were dirt dirt cheap and it's actually been a really good shooter. I can hit a man sized target with it in the chest at 200 yards 9 times out of 10. At 300 yards it goes down to about 6-7 times out of 10 but I think that's more me than the gun. That's all the AK was designed to do, and that's good enough for me.

I thought it was piss poor at first (like the reputation states) but come to find out it was just the magazines I was using at the time. They didn't work well in my friends Arsenal either.

All that said, I'm working on saving up some money to take one of the Rifle Dynamics AK builder classes sometime next summer hopefully.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:33   #2
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Looks pretty good to me.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 16:21   #3
Inebriated

Looks good. I used Rit Dye on my WASR furniture for a more reddish color.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 20:44   #4
knoxrocks222

The Kalashnikov Klubooks awrsome!!!! I used 2 coats of oak stain and 2 coats of urethane and finished it off with steel wool for a shine
Old 06-02-2014, 20:46   #5
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I like it. Pretty slick!
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:11   #6
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Very good job!...Those things look so real!

LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:33   #7
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Looks absolutely perfect!

Great job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 21:40   #8
lefty60

Great job! That's a nice looking piece of wood.
lefty60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 22:46   #9
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Thanks all. I might buy a second set of wood furniture and try a red dye to see how that comes out too. I too think it looks good, but not the color I was hoping for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 06-02-2014, 22:49   #10
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Thanks all. I might buy a second set of wood furniture and try a red dye to see how that comes out too. I too think it looks good, but not the color I was hoping for.

Try an exterior Redwood colored deck stain.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 22:52   #11
bluelightbandit

Looks great, man!
bluelightbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 19:55   #12
adamg01

A Wasr that is assembled correctly is a great shooter, they have excellent barrels. A Wasr with a pretty stock is just a bonus, nice work.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:51   #13
ca survivor

looks good, I'll see if I get the nerve to do mine.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36   #14
captainstormy

Thanks All

If I can find a wood set of Rommy G furniture (always wanted to try out the lower handguard I will try again with another stain. I'll probably try one of the deck stains like mentioned above if I can find a small can of it. Alot of them are fairly red.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:37   #15
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
looks good, I'll see if I get the nerve to do mine.
I've been thinking about doing mine for a couple of years now. I was just already at home depot so finally bit the bullet so to speak.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39   #16
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamg01 View Post
A Wasr that is assembled correctly is a great shooter, they have excellent barrels. A Wasr with a pretty stock is just a bonus, nice work.
That's pretty much what I tell my friends. If you can take a look at it in person and make sure everything is good than a WASR is a great deal. Thou by now pretty much all of the old QC issues are gone.

Mine was pretty good out of the box, but now it runs like a champ for sure. I put about 2K rounds or so through it each summer and it's really smoothed out over the years.

If your ordering online though, I tell them I'd probably skip the WASR and spend an extra $100 on a Yugo underfolder or something.
Old 06-04-2014, 18:41   #17
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
Thanks All

If I can find a wood set of Rommy G furniture (always wanted to try out the lower handguard I will try again with another stain. I'll probably try one of the deck stains like mentioned above if I can find a small can of it. Alot of them are fairly red.
Like this?

The Kalashnikov Klub

I'm going to do this one in "Russian Red" for sure, I just need to get the right formula for the color.

AWESOME JOB on your WASR, I need to do mine as well.

I did do my Norinco Type 84S. It was my first attempt and I could not be more pleased with how it turned out!

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

I also have plans to do my Mini-14 GB but I really want to do the "G" kit first. We'll see how it goes.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 19:20   #18
redrick

[QUOTE=captainstormy;21278703]Thanks all. I might buy a second set of wood furniture and try a red dye to see how that comes out too. I too think it looks good, but not the color I was hoping for.

You did a great job on the finish . Like you , I would like it more red in color . It still looks great though .
redrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 19:02   #19
davesglock30

Send a message via AIM to davesglock30
I refinished my WASR also. I also used the RIT red dye to get a real nice red color. Here's what mine turned out like.

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

Glock 21SF and a "few" other firearms.:whistling:
davesglock30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 20:03   #20
captainstormy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesglock30 View Post
I refinished my WASR also. I also used the RIT red dye to get a real nice red color. Here's what mine turned out like.

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub
Nice. That's more along the lines of what I was hopping for. When I get some more wood furniture I know what I need to do now at least.