Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2014, 19:03   #1
lilglockboy

Vepr 7.62x54r

Ok, so i recently purchased a Vepr 54r. Its the 20.5 inch barrel with integrated sight. I am really up in the air on a scope. Mainly this rifle will be seeing the shooting range. Targets from 50y out to 350y. I would also like to bring this rifle to arkansas with me during the winter and hunt some white tail and some boar. I am not certain what scope to choose from. I have narrowed my searches to the Nightforce 2.5-10x24, 2.5-10x32 or the 2.5-10x42. Also the trijicon accupoint 1-4x24, 2.5-10x56 or the 3-9x40. Does anyone have any of these or can recommend which is better over the other?
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 20:09   #2
adamg01

I think the 2.5-10 would be about ideal for what you are using it for. The Trijicon Accupoint has it advantages but as long as you carry a handgun for the "just in case" scenario, the 2.5-10 Nightforce would be great.
adamg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:08   #3
cciman

Your challenge will be what mount you use and how you set up the scope that you buy.

I have a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope mounted on midwest industries side mount for my Vepr7.62x39 - shooting steel case Golden tiger ammo , it makes 2-4MOA groups at 100yrds.

Forget the cheap side mounts, and cheap rings.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:43   #4
lilglockboy

I have been looking at mounts late last night and I have the same hunch. I am not sure where to start with mounts. I am new to ak's and am learning as I go.
lilglockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 17:12   #5
cciman

I am assuming you are using the wood stocks that the Vepr came with. If so, the cheap side mounts place the sope too high for proper cheek mount.

The Midwest industries mount is the lowest I found.

If you use a standard length and style rifle scope, go with low rings to mount. That should do it for you.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:46   #6
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
I am assuming you are using the wood stocks that the Vepr came with. If so, the cheap side mounts place the sope too high for proper cheek mount.

The Midwest industries mount is the lowest I found.

If you use a standard length and style rifle scope, go with low rings to mount. That should do it for you.
Ditto, the Midwest makes the third mount I've bought, don't waste your money on the ebay 'made in China' mounts. Not only are they too high, but are made of cheap pot metal and will wear out pretty quickly.

For a scope I'm using a SWFA 10X fixed power, only advantage of the high rise mount is it still allows iron sights, which work fine for me up to about 100 yards. After that, the eyes need help.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:53   #7
USMC_G19
Ham Salad

Buddy has one in left hand configuration with a Midwest scope mount. Thing kicks like a mule, especially with the heavy ball. He has found that dry firing it has led to some pitting on some of the internals just as an FYI..
Old 09-18-2014, 13:01   #8
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_G19 View Post
Thing kicks like a mule, especially with the heavy ball..
Yeah, that and the 2' flame from the end of the barrel is part of the fun.

I added an ATI Scorpion stock and grip, tamed a lot of the recoil.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote