Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26   #1
glocknusp

Is ammo banned from import?

With the news of the Russian AK's not being allowed into the US, is Russian ammo also affected? What about ammo from the Ukraine? I've been trying to search this and everything seems to just say its the firearms. Thanks!
glocknusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:10   #2
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknusp View Post
With the news of the Russian AK's not being allowed into the US, is Russian ammo also affected? What about ammo from the Ukraine? I've been trying to search this and everything seems to just say its the firearms. Thanks!
My understanding is Russian all import license's are suspended till further review, how long that review will take is anybody's guess
http://www.thebangswitch.com/all-rus...ports-on-hold/
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:21   #3
glocknusp

Thanks! I'm considering buyin an Arsenal AK, but stocking up on ammo seems like a good idea too. Decisions, decisions
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21   #4
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton Wayne View Post
My understanding is Russian all import license's are suspended till further review, how long that review will take is anybody's guess
http://www.thebangswitch.com/all-rus...ports-on-hold/
Includes parts but not ammo. KC does not make ammo.
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 14:58   #5
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Based on several conversations with Tula they are expecting "Business as usual" at least for the time being.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Crossfire Arms, LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 21:58   #6
glocknusp

Thanks for the info everyone. I had been asking the local gun shops and no one had a clue. One shop said one thing, another shop said another.
Old 07-26-2014, 17:54   #7
cowboy1964

Some of the Russian ammo is made in the Ukraine I believe. Wolf I think.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 15:08   #8
plp

I've postponed purchase of any new firearms and am putting as much disposable income as I can into 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 while the prices are still low. I

Sent from my XT1058 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 15:20   #9
Crossfire Arms, LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
I've postponed purchase of any new firearms and am putting as much disposable income as I can into 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 while the prices are still low. I

Never hurts to plan ahead.

Old 07-28-2014, 16:06   #10
SmithietheFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboylan View Post
Includes parts but not ammo. KC does not make ammo.
Correct- but any ammo manufacturers with affiliations to KC may be affected. Also I believe lots of Wolf is mfg'd in Ukraine but also IIRC Wolf ammo is mfg'd in multiple countries therefore if any Russian ammo was affected it would only have a slight impact on Wolf (depending on how far-reaching the ban is).

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles, German Weatherbys, and Stoner 63A parts.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 18:02   #11
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithietheFox View Post
Correct- but any ammo manufacturers with affiliations to KC may be affected. Also I believe lots of Wolf is mfg'd in Ukraine but also IIRC Wolf ammo is mfg'd in multiple countries therefore if any Russian ammo was affected it would only have a slight impact on Wolf (depending on how far-reaching the ban is).
There has been no industry confirmation that all form 6s are on hold or that any ammo on form 6 has been delayed. I'm going to call the bangswitch article unreliable information right now.

These blogs are not fact checked. Don't trust them.

Last edited by mboylan; 07-28-2014 at 18:03..
Old 07-28-2014, 20:26   #12
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Is ammo banned from import?
Not yet, but it will be!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 22:26   #13
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
Not yet, but it will be!

TGG
Hope not. Rather, hope for the best but plan for the worst. Just bought another crate of 7.62x54R, still just under 200.00 for 880 rounds of better ballistics than .308. That feeds 14 firearms under my roof.

plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 22:36   #14
itstime

Even if the answer is no people are going to start hoarding it anyway.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:35   #15
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
It must still be coming in. It's still in stock in the local stores and online and it's been a while.
Old 07-29-2014, 18:48   #16
NIB

There is plenty 7.62 made outside of Russia. Even if ammo imports are blocked from Russia it should only be a small glitch in supply that should correct itself in time. Wolf has been making ammo in Taiwan so I don't see how they can't ramp up manufacturing in other countries.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 20:35   #17
jim c

The correct answer is NO. Anything else is just PANIC sales price talking. Same for the BAN ON AK'S.
I've been in the game over 30 years, seen the actual ammo bans, recall of the 3rd hole stamped Mak-90 underfolders, etc. etc.
Right now every vendor is sitting on inventory ordered end of last year , that finally arrived in their warehouses, 8-9 months later. What better way to move their inventory, than tell you ALL AK'S AND AMMO ARE BANNED.
Wait till end of october running up to nov elections. That's when the scare tactics will really bloom
jim c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 16:53   #18
cz223

I don't consider buying ammo

and magazines and, anything else while it is cheap, panic buying. It is simply smart. While ammo is not banned at this time, who is to say that it won't be in the future. I had just decided to buy 2 or 3 AK's right before the ban on anything associated with Kalishnakov was announced. The reason that I had decided this was because of what happened with 223 ammo during the recent panic. It was virtually non-existent around here and when you could find it it was going for as much as $800/K. There was a run on 7.62x39 for a short while but it came back much faster and never really soared in price like 223. It has been on the shelves in Walmart almost constantly at a little over $5 for 20 rounds. I have bought about 700 rounds over the last 2 weeks. I had probably 1500 rounds already. My Serbian AK will arrive Friday. I already have an unconverted Saiga. Along with cheap ammo I have already started buying up mags. I would like 10 per gun.
cz223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 18:12   #19
mboylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz223 View Post
and magazines and, anything else while it is cheap, panic buying. It is simply smart. While ammo is not banned at this time, who is to say that it won't be in the future. I had just decided to buy 2 or 3 AK's right before the ban on anything associated with Kalishnakov was announced. The reason that I had decided this was because of what happened with 223 ammo during the recent panic. It was virtually non-existent around here and when you could find it it was going for as much as $800/K. There was a run on 7.62x39 for a short while but it came back much faster and never really soared in price like 223. It has been on the shelves in Walmart almost constantly at a little over $5 for 20 rounds. I have bought about 700 rounds over the last 2 weeks. I had probably 1500 rounds already. My Serbian AK will arrive Friday. I already have an unconverted Saiga. Along with cheap ammo I have already started buying up mags. I would like 10 per gun.
If you are buying 7.63x39 from WalMart, you are definitely buying from the wrong place. $5/20 is expensive. I paid a little less than that for premium Golden Tiger. I've seen cases of regular stuff online for about $200, $4/box.

I wouldn't worry about 7.62x39. The commercial stuff is made in several countries. 7.62x54 is not new production and would not be affected. 5.45x39 is predominately from Russia and an ammo ban would hit that caliber really hard.
Old 08-13-2014, 19:26   #20
Crossfire Arms, LLC

I've been fortunate to be able to keep my customers supplied with Tula etc...7.62x39. There's been quite a rise in interest in the last couple of weeks, but I'm being cautiously optimistic for now.

Like others have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to stock up but the buying frenzies don't help anyone.