Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2014, 21:11   #1
John Rambo
Raven

Hunting Scopes on your Evil Black Rifle?

Anyone hunt with their evil black rifle? I want to take my M4gery hunting with my Barnes TSX rounds and see how it fairs against pigs. All I have are the front iron sight and an MBUIS rear sight. It COULD be usable within 50 yards I'm sure, but I'd much rather throw a scope on there.

Anyone have any experience in this area? Looking in the 250 dollar range. Illuminated recticle, maybe 4x magnification max. Most of the ones I'm seeing are red dots and I don't want that. I want some durmed crosshairs.

*I realize 250 doesn't buy much scope. I also know I spent less than 200 on my Nikon Slughunter and its a decent enough scope for me. If I had 800 to throw down on a solid scope, I'd also have money to buy myself a more dedicated small-caliber hunting platform.

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-10-2014 at 21:13..
John Rambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 21:17   #2
cbird77

I have a 308 I hunt with and 2 scopes, one for hunting and one for PD. Works good. Just have to take the small mags and the right scope. Im good up to 150 yards with my hunting setup.
cbird77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 21:17   #3
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

I just got one if the new SWFA SS 1x4's.
It's got a dot but also a box around it, with my 75bthp load the top of the box is 100, dot is 50 and 200, bottom is 300.
On sale it was $299, might go on sale again for Xmas.
Old 12-10-2014, 21:28   #4
SpeedyG17

I just bought one of these for my AR. Thanks to my LGS I got a smoking deal on it. I have it sighted for 50 yards and its enough to make a clean shot out to 150 yards for me. Although, I have yet to actually use it on a hog I like it alot.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...-hog-1-4x20mm/

Last edited by SpeedyG17; 12-10-2014 at 21:28..
SpeedyG17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 22:07   #5
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

If you are planning on using an illuminated scope at night be advised the illumination will wash out the reticle and depending on the reticle color, you'll get a red or green glow through the tube which makes the scope useless.

To combat that, you'll need some light, like a flashlight mounted on your rifle. Once the light is turned on, you'll now see the reticle. You'll be better off to set the illumination at a very low level in the dark.
We use a green light to locate the hogs, then raise our rifles above the hogs, turn on the white lights and slowly lower the rifle while aiming. This seems to not frighten the hogs versus shining a light directly on them. With the light on you'll see your reticle and then take the shot when ready.

Being able to use sights depends on how good your eyes are. I have used irons out to 100 yards but that is stretching it for me. I use 1-4x scopes, one illuminated, one non illuminated, and a mil dot 4-12x illuminated for my hunting, depending on species and the time frame I'm hunting.

For illuminated 1-4x in your price range, look into Weaver, Bushnell, maybe Burris, and Optisan Mambo at SWFA (nice scope and mount for the price but a bit heavy)

Barnes TSX are excellent rounds as are Federal Fusion 62gr.
Old 12-10-2014, 22:13   #6
gregking

I hunt deer, coyotes, coons, skunks etc and I got a redfield revolution and I seem to like it
gregking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:43   #7
ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
If you are planning on using an illuminated scope at night be advised the illumination will wash out the reticle and depending on the reticle color, you'll get a red or green glow through the tube which makes the scope useless.

To combat that, you'll need some light, like a flashlight mounted on your rifle. Once the light is turned on, you'll now see the reticle. You'll be better off to set the illumination at a very low level in the dark.
We use a green light to locate the hogs, then raise our rifles above the hogs, turn on the white lights and slowly lower the rifle while aiming. This seems to not frighten the hogs versus shining a light directly on them. With the light on you'll see your reticle and then take the shot when ready.

Being able to use sights depends on how good your eyes are. I have used irons out to 100 yards but that is stretching it for me. I use 1-4x scopes, one illuminated, one non illuminated, and a mil dot 4-12x illuminated for my hunting, depending on species and the time frame I'm hunting.

For illuminated 1-4x in your price range, look into Weaver, Bushnell, maybe Burris, and Optisan Mambo at SWFA (nice scope and mount for the price but a bit heavy)

Barnes TSX are excellent rounds as are Federal Fusion 62gr.
While I cannot say that I know every illuminated reticle scope out there, the ones that I have played with in the dark (such as the Primary Arms 1-4), have a rheostat, that on level one, just gives a hint of a red dot. It does NOT wash out the image.

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49   #8
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I use a Leupold VXR 1.25-4 or 5 power with the fire dot illumination.

It's a darn good AR scope.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41   #9
SmithietheFox

4x32 Trijicon ACOG on my DDM4V1- absolutely love it

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45   #10
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithietheFox View Post
4x32 Trijicon ACOG on my DDM4V1- absolutely love it
Jealous!!!! Damn things are a bit on the spendy side. I want one, but the model I want is more than my AR.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40   #11
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
While I cannot say that I know every illuminated reticle scope out there, the ones that I have played with in the dark (such as the Primary Arms 1-4), have a rheostat, that on level one, just gives a hint of a red dot. It does NOT wash out the image.
Nor have I, just commenting on those I have used personally. To add, OP also mentioned a price area of $250, so the Leupold fire dot and ACOG's exceed that figure by quite a bit.
Old 12-11-2014, 13:44   #12
ezdaar

Primary arms 4x scope. Its in your price bracket and has a drop comp reticule.

primary arms 4x
ezdaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19   #13
Victoriagotagun

Vortex makes the 1-4x24 Crossfire II that's illuminated for $250.

For a good non-illuminated scope Weaver makes a 1-3x20 that is really good for less than $200.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07   #14
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriagotagun View Post
Vortex makes the 1-4x24 Crossfire II that's illuminated for $250.

For a good non-illuminated scope Weaver makes a 1-3x20 that is really good for less than $200.
Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided on the Vortex Crossfire II V-Brite 1-4x24. The only decision now is what mount to get for it. Looking at pictures, I don't see how many of the mounts clear a fixed front iron sight on a flat-top.

I found a CCOP MNT-1516 High Profile mount that people have pictures of holding that scope on their flat-top ARs, but it looks like the front sight is blocking the scope's view, I just don't get it.

Anyone have any experience?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:50   #15
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided on the Vortex Crossfire II V-Brite 1-4x24. The only decision now is what mount to get for it. Looking at pictures, I don't see how many of the mounts clear a fixed front iron sight on a flat-top.

I found a CCOP MNT-1516 High Profile mount that people have pictures of holding that scope on their flat-top ARs, but it looks like the front sight is blocking the scope's view, I just don't get it.

Anyone have any experience?
With higher power scope you don't see it.
Low power, yer gonna see it and by the time you get you scope high enough to not see it, well, I hope you are a giraffe
I don't find the sight in the scope bothersome unless the post was higher than the center of reticle.
On my SPR the post is 2 mills down from the 300yd mark which works out at 500yds or about 3 mills from center which is 50/200.

Black Rifle Forum

Last edited by Steel Head; 12-13-2014 at 12:58..
Steel Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 13:01   #16
dkf

As the magnification increases, the FSB will disappear from view.

I'd just get a mount with at least 1.5" distance from the top rail to the ring centerline. Primary Arms has a lot of different mounts on their site, take a look.

https://www.primaryarms.com/AR_15_M_...unts_s/376.htm

Last edited by dkf; 12-13-2014 at 13:01..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 13:06   #17
cciman

You don't need special rounds to kill pigs.

Putting a hunting scope on your AR is very UN-tacticool

You would be best hunting pigs at night anyways, so you need a nightscope, not a regular scope.
cciman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 14:17   #18
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
You don't need special rounds to kill pigs.

Putting a hunting scope on your AR is very UN-tacticool

You would be best hunting pigs at night anyways, so you need a nightscope, not a regular scope.
They call me Mr. Un-tacticool.

And I don't have the cash to blow on a night-vision scope, so illuminated recticle gets me part of the way there for low light.
Old 12-13-2014, 14:18   #19
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
With higher power scope you don't see it.
Low power, yer gonna see it and by the time you get you scope high enough to not see it, well, I hope you are a giraffe
I don't find the sight in the scope bothersome unless the post was higher than the center of reticle.
On my SPR the post is 2 mills down from the 300yd mark which works out at 500yds or about 3 mills from center which is 50/200.

Black Rifle Forum
Awesome, thanks for the info. So, I'll just get a high proflie scope mount and call it a day, that wouldn't bother me much either.
Old 12-13-2014, 14:30   #20
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. So, I'll just get a high proflie scope mount and call it a day, that wouldn't bother me much either.
From rail to center of scope(30mm) my mount is 1.47, pretty standard height.