Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2013, 21:16   #1
mixflip

Which one is better...WASR 3 or AK74???

Just wondering whats more reliable and practical. The WASR3 chambered in 5.56 or an AK74 chambered in 5.45?

I already own a couple AR15's so I was considering the WASR3 since I wouldnt need to worry about buying another caliber. But I dont know anything about either rifle.

AK guys please educate me. Thanks
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 21:18   #2
Tippyman

An AK74 made by whom?
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 23:14   #3
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

The 5.56 seems like it would be the most practical...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 23:45   #4
HWI

Correct me of I am wrong, but don't the WASR-3s use the Weiger mags? If so, I'd avoid that since they are currently pretty difficult to acquire.

Would need details on the 74 like who built it, origin of barrel, what receiver it's built on, etc.

If I am wrong about the WASR-3 mags and they can take your standard Beryl/Circle 10 mags and if the 74 is a quality build, then it really comes down to caliber preference.
HWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 00:46   #5
fgutie35

I have the WASR-3, and have plenty of experience with it ( unlike many people who just parrot what they read online). First and foremost, I would prefer you buy where you can actually inspect before purchase. That goes for any AK variant. Look for the obvious first (canted front sight, mag well opening etc..etc). Before purchasing mine, I researched about it and found out about the wegner mags. So when I went to my LGS, to my surprise, I found out that mine came with a wegner steel mag, and an orange plastic bakelite mag.I told the salesman, that I wasn't too trilled about the orange mag, and if he could do a switcharoo from another box and get both wegner mags. He agreed! So I walked out the store with two wegners, and ordered two more online. As usual with any weapon I buy, I deburr any shavings and machine marks from the crucial parts, like firing pin channel, bolt assembly, trigger parts and gas piston. First box was gold medal for accuracy reference. I was surprised at the accuracy of this specific rifle, considering the loose tolerances platform. Everything after that, is being the cheapest ammo I can find. To this day, it has not jammed once. I do slow fire, and rapid fire. I clean it after a range visit and lightly grease the bolt assembly and piston.
I cannot speak for the AK-74, but I have read good things about the cartidge performance and value of ammo.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38   #6
the monk

I agree with HWI; at the end of the day it really comes down to caliber preference.

You have more options with different types of loads with the 5.56. 5.45 is extremely cheap to shoot . If you are looking to shoot a lot, stock up on 5.45 and go nuts.

Certified Glock Armorer
the monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 14:13   #7
armaliter

Well the 5.45 is the Russian version of the 223/556 made after Vietnam. Ive had a Norinco in .223 and it was very accurate! Now ammo is outragegously priced for it.
Got rid of it, now Im heavy into the 5.45. Ive got two of them now. One is the CUR 2 and the other is the ROMAK 2. These two were some of the first 5.45 imported and only in 1997 and are 100% military grade rifles. If you can find one jump on it! After 97 came the SAR 2 and the wasr 2. Good rifles but different in quality. Alot of great 5.45 rifles out there now from Russia to Bulgeria and most are kit guns assembled here in the states. One thing to look for is to make sure the reciever is fully heat treated as in a NODAK SPUD reciever. And thats all I know.
armaliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 18:13   #8
gogriz91

Whats practical is driven by what you're willing to spend for the gun, ammo and magazines. 5.45 is between 18 and 20 cents a round. The design is reliable, how well it is assembled is another matter entirely. How much are you looking to spend?

Heavily medicated for your protection
gogriz91 is offline   Reply With Quote