Important Notice: The site is currently being upgraded to a new software system. This process could take a day or two to complete. During that time, we are going to leave the site up here, on its old software. WHAT GETS POSTED HERE DURING THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE COPIED OVER ONTO THE NEW SITE, WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE. When we swap over, the content posted while this message is visible will be lost. We wanted to give you folks a place to hang out and talk while we worked though. We will let you know when we are finished. Please pardon the inconvenience, during this transition.

Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:25   #1
Shark1007

Home defense ammo

Gents

Getting into AK's, have always been a 5.56 guy.

What is the best home defense round/ hollow point or soft point and how do you knowledgeable folks compare it to the 5.56 defense ammo?

Thanks in advance.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:57   #2
FireForged
Millenium #3936

no doubt the 7.62x39 is a very effective round but if you want to know what is good for use indoors considering those kinds of implications, I am not sure I have a good answer.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:04   #3
SmithietheFox
Stoner63A

Depending on the layout of your home, the potential shooting "lanes" and their proximity to other family members rooms, I'm not a big 7.62x39 fan for possible indoor home defense regardless of the bullet. Don't get me wrong I'm a big 7.62x39 fan I just think of it punching thru wall after wall indoors.

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25   #4
barth
six barrels

IMHO, for home defense with the right ammo?
5.56/.223 good.
7.62x39 bad.

Last edited by barth; 03-22-2015 at 11:26..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:25   #5
Darkangel1846

I would load with SPs but you must run several mags of SPs through the rifle on a test run. Many people have had feeding problems with the SPs. HPs usually all run well.
Now do you want to run a medium range rifle/ammo in your house? If you live in city I would say no, out in the country maybe yes. Common sense rules here.
Old 03-22-2015, 14:32   #6
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth View Post
IMHO, for home defense with the right ammo?
5.56/.223 good.
7.62x39 bad.
Agreed completely. Most 5.56 has better terminal performance anyway. Bullet design of most 7.62 Soviet is poor, and fragmentation and yaw are inconsistent if even present. This means most 7.62x39 ends up going straight through with the ballistic profile similar to a pistol round FMJ. Over penetration is also a more serious concern with 7.62. Barrier penetration is the only area where 7.62x39 beats 5.56, and is undesirable in this scenario.

If you *must* use 7.62x39, Hornady SST is my first choice. Some JSP would be my second.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 19:19   #7
Shark1007

Thanks, gents. You confirmed what I was wondering about. I have a PLR 16 with a green laser and a Mini 14 with the same laser for HD and was just looking for "better" The new house will be more in the country with no neighbors around.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:21   #8
Hedo1

Hornady SST. The SST is an effective bullet. When shooting a rifle of any type indoors be mindful of hearing
Old 03-24-2015, 00:16   #9
Railsplitter

FWIW I am not a big long gun fan for home defense. A good G31 or G22 will take care of business in tight indoor quarters where speed of movement and one free hand are essential! If however you must step outdoors, the game changes and a long gun would probably be your best bet.

Last edited by Railsplitter; 03-24-2015 at 14:24..
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 15:23   #10
SmithietheFox
Stoner63A

I've always been an advocate of a good 12 Ga when it comes to indoor home defense

Always looking for German Weatherby Customs and Stoner 63A parts and accessories.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 16:01   #11
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

I prefer a 12GA for HD, but if I did want to use only my AK, I would use 154grn soft points.

The Kalashnikov Klub

Old 03-24-2015, 18:16   #12
LongRifle75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithietheFox View Post
I've always been an advocate of a good 12 Ga when it comes to indoor home defense
Same here.
NRA Member
LongRifle75 is offline   Reply With Quote