Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 21:11   #1
sigm11a1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
century arms GP1975

Just bought a Century Arms GP1975 from the gunshop that i work at. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? I know its a American made barrel and receiver with a Romanian parts kit,but does anyone know anything else about this AK? its a pretty accurate rifle too ive ran 80 rounds threw but haven't grouped it yet, only shot steel. it seams to be pretty straight and the front sight and gas block are straight. the gas piston is slightly bent to the right so it hangs up if you work the bolt slow but it doesnt effect function. should i get a new piston or should I say screw it and leave it alone? The wood on this rifle leaves something to be desired. does anyone have a good lead on a nice wood kit or know what website i should check out?

Thanks,
sigm11a1
sigm11a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 21:44   #2
CarlosC
AK Fanatic
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 4,302
The barrels are Green Mountain barrels, while the receivers are DCI. The kits are remaining military kits. All are good parts to start with.
The piston should not be binding the bolt...no way. Is it doing this on the extraction or feed part of cycling? If it's on the feed, then I don't believe it's the piston. The pistons can have some play in the gas tube, by the way, but not cause binding.
As for the wood, you can turn Romanian crap wood into something VERY nice with a little elbow grease. Many of us here have, including myself, have refinished Romanian wood and achieved exceptional results.
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:41   #3
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!
 
The_Gun_Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where English and NYer's Go to Die!
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigm11a1 View Post
Just bought a Century Arms GP1975 from the gunshop that i work at. Anyone have any experience with this rifle? I know its a American made barrel and receiver with a Romanian parts kit,but does anyone know anything else about this AK? its a pretty accurate rifle too ive ran 80 rounds threw but haven't grouped it yet, only shot steel. it seams to be pretty straight and the front sight and gas block are straight. the gas piston is slightly bent to the right so it hangs up if you work the bolt slow but it doesnt effect function. should i get a new piston or should I say screw it and leave it alone? The wood on this rifle leaves something to be desired. does anyone have a good lead on a nice wood kit or know what website i should check out?

Thanks,
sigm11a1
it sounds like the bottom of your bolt carrier is hanging up on the hammer, that is what my WASR 10/63 does, and it just needs to be buffed out a little or shot a lot

as for the wood stock set, refinish the one you have because it's simple and fun and cheaper than a new set. If you must have new then ironwood designs has some nice stuff but expect to pay about $140 for the set!

I did the Chinese set that was on my 84S and it turned out amazing!

Before:

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

After:

The Kalashnikov Klub

The Kalashnikov Klub

It makes you appreciate the gun so much more because you did it yourself. Good luck and enjoy your AK.

TGG
__________________
FL CCW Permit holder since 1991- C&R FFL Holder since 2007
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 10-15-2014 at 08:06..
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 16:07   #4
CarlosC
AK Fanatic
 
CarlosC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: DFW area, TX
Posts: 4,302
Citristrip is fantastic for removing old finishes. It works well and it just smells like a bunch of oranges.
Here's a close-up of my Romy G. Citristrip, satin poly, bees wax.
The Kalashnikov Klub

Here's a very abused Romy I bought years ago, disassembled, and rebuilt and refinished. The previous owner had assembled it with pop rivets, never cleaned it, ran it over with a truck, drug it across gravel, and rigged it to slam fire.
A total idiot, but he sold it to me for $50. And yes, I agreed to buy it, ripped out his jimmy-rigged slamfire, then paid him for it.
Before -
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
After-
The Kalashnikov Klub
The Kalashnikov Klub
__________________
Pittsburgh Steelers fan till the day I die, and then some.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 00:20   #5
sigm11a1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosC View Post
The barrels are Green Mountain barrels, while the receivers are DCI. The kits are remaining military kits. All are good parts to start with.
The piston should not be binding the bolt...no way. Is it doing this on the extraction or feed part of cycling? If it's on the feed, then I don't believe it's the piston. The pistons can have some play in the gas tube, by the way, but not cause binding.
As for the wood, you can turn Romanian crap wood into something VERY nice with a little elbow grease. Many of us here have, including myself, have refinished Romanian wood and achieved exceptional results.

The Kalashnikov KlubThe Kalashnikov Klub

The left side of the bolt carrier hangs up on the trunion because the piston is bent to the right. If functions fine when shot but if you work the bolt slow it will catch and hold itself back. Even if it's not a big issue I'm going to fix it because it's bugging me.

As for the wood I'm going to try to refinish it but I don't know if I'll keep the forward grip on this rifle or not it's kind of nice for a hand stop.

The Kalashnikov Klub


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
sigm11a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16   #6
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!
 
The_Gun_Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Where English and NYer's Go to Die!
Posts: 9,972
Quote:
As for the wood I'm going to try to refinish it but I don't know if I'll keep the forward grip on this rifle or not it's kind of nice for a hand stop.

The Kalashnikov Klub


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
that wood, if refinished, has the potential to be absolutely gorgeous!

I would keep the forward hand grip because that is what distinguishes a Romanian AK from all others, in my opinion, of course.

Please post pics of the final product and have fun!


TGG
__________________
FL CCW Permit holder since 1991- C&R FFL Holder since 2007
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 10-16-2014 at 11:22..
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 13:33   #7
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,973
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigm11a1 View Post
The Kalashnikov KlubThe Kalashnikov Klub

The left side of the bolt carrier hangs up on the trunion because the piston is bent to the right. If functions fine when shot but if you work the bolt slow it will catch and hold itself back. Even if it's not a big issue I'm going to fix it because it's bugging me.

As for the wood I'm going to try to refinish it but I don't know if I'll keep the forward grip on this rifle or not it's kind of nice for a hand stop.

The Kalashnikov Klub


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
that wood, if refinished, has the potential to be absolutely gorgeous!

I would keep the forward hand grip because that is what distinguishes a Romanian AK from all others, in my opinion, of course.

Please post pics of the final product and have fun!


TGG
I agree; that wood would be absolutely gorgeous if refinished properly! Anxious to see the results.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 22:05   #8
sigm11a1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 5
century arms GP1975

It might be a while until I finish it. I have tons of guns in the shop to work on and they get priority over my own guns. But I will post pics when I get it done. Thanks for sharing guys, I got some valuable information here.


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Last edited by sigm11a1; 10-16-2014 at 22:08..
sigm11a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:12.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 964
284 Members
680 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31