SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-06-2014, 17:41   #1
Rich22

9mm Powder that is actually available

Evening

I am down to a couple pounds of Unique left. I need an available alternative powder for 9mm Lead/coated and jacketed. Looking to really push this so def, not for soft loads.

Would love some ideas since I cannot seem to find any.

Thanks

Rich
Rich22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 17:58   #2
Schrag4

I may get booed for saying this, but 9mm brass cased ammo is so cheap nowadays that you could consider a bulk purchase of ammo just a way to get your hands on more brass, and you can keep shooting too. At just above 20 cents/round, and with brass going for, say, 4 cents/case, you're really only paying a few cents more per round over similar reloaded ammo using plated or FMJ bullets. If the point of reloading is to keep shooting when ammo isn't on the shelves then it makes sense to me to buy factory ammo when it's cheap. That's where all the powder is anyway (new factory ammo).
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:02   #3
Lockback
Polymerlicious!

I'm using some 700X and like it. I was using Unique too, so I feel your pain.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:09   #4
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

For 9mm HS-6, AutoComp, TiteGroup, 231 and many more. The problem is finding any.
I am lucky in having a gentleman who is local that sells components at gun shows and locally have some good surplus pistol powder.
Old 10-06-2014, 18:20   #5
Rich22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
I may get booed for saying this, but 9mm brass cased ammo is so cheap nowadays that you could consider a bulk purchase of ammo just a way to get your hands on more brass, and you can keep shooting too. At just above 20 cents/round, and with brass going for, say, 4 cents/case, you're really only paying a few cents more per round over similar reloaded ammo using plated or FMJ bullets. If the point of reloading is to keep shooting when ammo isn't on the shelves then it makes sense to me to buy factory ammo when it's cheap. That's where all the powder is anyway (new factory ammo).
Not the case for me currently. I have in excess of 150 pounds of 9mm brass that is just the headstamps I like. 10k bullets either finished or most of the way there. 20k primers, so all I am needing to actually pay for is the powder. 20 cents per round is no where near cheap enough for me
Old 10-06-2014, 18:21   #6
Rich22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
For 9mm HS-6, AutoComp, TiteGroup, 231 and many more. The problem is finding any.
I am lucky in having a gentleman who is local that sells components at gun shows and locally have some good surplus pistol powder.
Yep, that is why I put in there powder that is actually available. I have been waiting on WSF for over a year and no luck
Old 10-06-2014, 18:29   #7
frankmako

i use aa#5 and titegroup for my 9 mm loads. both work well.
frankmako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 18:34   #8
naughtymoose

Rich I am finding powder without issue locally. If you plan to shoot to the Mobile, AL Glock match I will help you out and deliver it at cost. Shoot me a PM
naughtymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 19:39   #9
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
Evening

I am down to a couple pounds of Unique left. I need an available alternative powder for 9mm Lead/coated and jacketed. Looking to really push this so def, not for soft loads.

Would love some ideas since I cannot seem to find any.

Thanks

Rich
You have to realize that you are in competition with every other reloader in the country. If I knew where to buy WSF, I would be buying, not telling.

You can haunt gunbot.net under Reloading -> Powder and if you see what you want, buy it immediately because if you don't, someone else will. Don't snivel about the HazMat fee, just suck it up! When you spread the fee over 1400 rounds per pound of powder, it simply doesn't matter.

You can also check in at your LGSs from time to time. They may have something.

If you are serious about gunbot.net, try to figure an update schedule for the main suppliers on gunbot.

Richard
Old 10-06-2014, 19:53   #10
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
Not the case for me currently. I have in excess of 150 pounds of 9mm brass that is just the headstamps I like. 10k bullets either finished or most of the way there. 20k primers, so all I am needing to actually pay for is the powder. 20 cents per round is no where near cheap enough for me
I've had luck finding small quantities of powder locally. My brother and a co-worker each bought 8 lbs of CFE Pistol a couple of months ago, again locally. I even saw a few pounds of AA#7 on the shelf yesterday and didn't buy any because I have more powder than primers or bullets right now and I don't want to deprive someone who needs it more.

I don't sit and watch sites like gunbot.net, but I'm certain that powders pop up there frequently, and I'm just as certain that they're bought up in mere seconds. I don't know if powder is getting shipped to your area, but IMO it's easiest to find powder locally, at least in my area.

If you're that desperate for powder, you can pay the scalpers 2x-3x as much as it's worth. Since you have all the other components, you'd still be coming out way ahead vs buying factory ammo. That being said, out of principle I'll pay 20+ cents/round for factory before I buy from the scalpers. If ALL others would do the same, the scalpers wouldn't be in business and finding powder on the shelves would be easier. Same goes for 22LR.
Old 10-06-2014, 20:17   #11
njl

Quote:
Booo

I was in Wal-Mart today, and even at $12 (plus tax) per box for whatever they have, I can load much better ammo that's exactly what I want for about half that. And there's no need to buy 9mm brass when the non-reloaders leave theirs on the ground at the gun club. I don't see ever needing to buy 9mm brass, unless Wal-Mart starts selling nothing but steel and/or aluminum cased ammo.
Old 10-06-2014, 20:27   #12
fredj338

Anything slower than unique works well in 9mm, up to blue dot. It's just finding any handgun/shotgun powders.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 20:52   #13
njl

Anything from Red Dot to Longshot can be made to work.
Old 10-06-2014, 21:07   #14
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

For full power 9 mm loads power pistol is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Old 10-06-2014, 23:09   #15
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
Booo

I was in Wal-Mart today, and even at $12 (plus tax) per box for whatever they have, I can load much better ammo that's exactly what I want for about half that. And there's no need to buy 9mm brass when the non-reloaders leave theirs on the ground at the gun club. I don't see ever needing to buy 9mm brass, unless Wal-Mart starts selling nothing but steel and/or aluminum cased ammo.
You can get ammo for a lot less than $12 for 50 rounds. If you're casting your own then of course you can do better, but I stand by my statement that you're only saving about 3-4 cents per round if you're loading FMJ ammo and if you factor in the bonus brass when comparing to a bulk purchase of loaded ammo these days. Each 20 cent cartridge comes with a 3 cent case (being conservative), meaning it costs you about 17 cents per round. If you're loading FMJs, you'll spend at least 9 cents on the bullet, 3 cents on the primer, and at least a cent on the powder, putting you at 13-14 cents.

When WM only had Winchester 100 packs for 26 bucks, I was loading them for about half too, but that's simply not the case anymore. Just look at places like FreedomMunitions when they have a sale going. 100- bucks shipped per 500 rounds for 115gr reman is not uncommon.

Maybe I'm the only one not swimming in brass, so this math works out for me. I think I have less than 400 9mm cases waiting to be loaded up
Old 10-06-2014, 23:15   #16
Rich22

So far, zero luck finding any powder locally at all. I stop by most of the time I drive by and have found nothing usable for 9mm. I did manage to get enough rifle powder to last me several years unless I start loading for my entire family which may be happening then it will be much less.
Old 10-06-2014, 23:21   #17
Schrag4

I should add - I LOVE reloading, and it just feels...wrong to buy ammo when I have a press at home, but the reality is that the ammo manufacturers decided about a year ago to place orders for 3 years worth of powder. That means manufactured ammo is in high supply right now (indicated by very low prices). It may feel wrong to buy ammo instead of just components, but why not do it? It's not THAT much more expensive, and it'll save you a bunch of time. I go into reloading primarily to get me through the shortages, in order to get ammo the easiest way possible. Right now it's much easier to buy bulk ammo than it is to buy bulk powder. I'm finding myself questioning the very idea of reloading to save even 6-7 cents per round (loading plated bullets vs factory FMJ). Is it really worth my time? If I didn't love doing it so much, the answer would be an obvious "no."

ETA: Rich22, this obviously doesn't apply to you or others who are literally swimming in every component except powder :-)

Last edited by Schrag4; 10-06-2014 at 23:23..
Old 10-07-2014, 01:22   #18
bigbe

I am finding power pistol all over the place. it is supposed to be the shiite for hot 9 mm loads according to it's manufacturer.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:21   #19
njl

Quote:
You can get ammo for a lot less than $12 for 50 rounds. If you're casting your own then of course you can do better, but I stand by my statement that you're only saving about 3-4 cents per round if you're loading FMJ ammo and if you factor in the bonus brass when comparing to a bulk purchase of loaded ammo these days. Each 20 cent cartridge comes with a 3 cent case (being conservative), meaning it costs you about 17 cents per round. If you're loading FMJs, you'll spend at least 9 cents on the bullet, 3 cents on the primer, and at least a cent on the powder, putting you at 13-14 cents.
I guess mail ordering commercial reloads, you can get down to about $10/box. I haven't actually bought 9mm jacketed bullets since before PD did their big price hikes...so I think the last time I bought from them, 124gr bullets were closer to $80/1000. I still have a supply of PD and MG bullets, but I've kind of moved on to coated, so instead of $100/k for 124gr FMJ, my most recent purchase was 147gr coated for $0.776 per bullet delivered. That gets me back down to about $0.11 per round for low recoil/subsonic 9mm.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:46   #20
wct097

I've been conserving my Bullseye for my competition loads and using Blue Dot for practice/plinking. Blue Dot sucks for 9mm though. Doesn't meter well at low charge levels and doesn't burn well leaving flakes all over me when I get done shooting.

I have thousands of rounds of 9mm brass. It's so plentiful that I typically come home from the range with more than I went with. Bullets are cheap too.... just hoping I can find some more Bullseye or Titegroup before I run out of the Bullseye I'm using for competition.