Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2006, 18:21   #126
ShootNMove
concealed

Thanks Bigbore! You gave me some great ideas for my upcoming Glock vs. 1911 torture test!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 16:26   #127
utmstudent

so is this gun going to be for sale anytime LOL J/K
utmstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 21:59   #128
s10trav

Send a message via Yahoo to s10trav
Jesus!!!

Some might call you crazy, other may call you excentric, I shall name you Glockcentric! You have done what others never would do in 1,000 years. I have a mod. 23 and I treat it like a priceless piece of art work. You sir have proved that if it came to it, mine would funtion in the most hellish conditions...My hat goes off to you! May God bless you in your continuing efforts to abuse Glocks! Valuable Info How does it feel to see one in nib condition? <c>b
s10trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 21:32   #129
LA 11/95

Send a message via Yahoo to LA 11/95
Well, after seeing ur results I felt confident in selecting the 21 as my new duty gun.

Since I haven't left my position at my cuurent agency yet...I decided to put my issued Sig p-226r .40 through the sand test.

Let me set the scene:

Quarterly 36 round qualification, 2 yr old 226 in .40,lubed with TWB-25, Winchester white box ball ammo.

Bucket w/dry sand and 226 slide locked back w/o mag., shake shake shake.

Results:
Attempted to drop slide and load 1st round, would not go into battery.

Tap rack, Boom! Spent casing was ejected but the subsequent round failed to feed and jammed on ramp.

Tap rack Boom! Similar results as described above for the next 6 rounds. After that the shots seemed to have loosened up the action and I shot the remainder of the course w/o incident.

I have never had an issue with my 226, but It was nice to see that my next duty pistol performed better.

Thanks BIGBORE!
LA 11/95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:48   #130
seed

Am I the only one cringing every time I read about someone torturing their $700+ non-Glock guns? It's one thing if you are doing a full on test-project, but man...

I would love to have a Sig 226 in .40. But I can't afford it. And if I could, sand and other torture-test materials would be as far away from it as possible. I had little doubt the Sig would not pass anyway. It's a very nice gun, but its design is not as torture-resistant as Glocks and that is obvious.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 14:18   #131
PAHLAVAN

He didn't pay for it Seed. It's an issue gun.
Old 01-14-2006, 17:31   #132
seed

Yeah PAHLAVAN, I got that. I guess I didn't acknowledge a clear difference in private versus issued gun tests (obviously the financial aspect would only matter to the tester if the gun was paid for privately). One of my points was meant to say that abusing an expensive gun (issued or not) which will obviously not pass an abuse test makes me cringe because I cannot afford one right now...which is the only way I could get my hands on one.

It's like when I see an old classic car get sacrificed for a scene in a movie. I know the actor, the director, the stuntman (etc) did not pay for the car (obviously), but it makes me cringe none-the-less when I see it get destroyed. Many times the cars being sacrificed are rare and irreplaceable...one more gone after the scene. I know that they sometimes use a mock-car for the scene...but often they do not. It makes me cringe. And I think to myself...these guys have way too much money and or access. They should have given that car to me and done CG (even if it doesn't look as real).
Old 01-14-2006, 17:36   #133
PAHLAVAN

Issued guns are usually not in the best condition, unless you get lucky and get a new one. Mostly they're handmedowns.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46   #134
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Superb testing and documenting! Kudos!!

Comforting to see the Glock takes such a lickin and keep tickin!

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:50   #135
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by seed
Am I the only one cringing every time I read about someone torturing their $700+ non-Glock guns? It's one thing if you are doing a full on test-project, but man...

I would love to have a Sig 226 in .40. But I can't afford it. And if I could, sand and other torture-test materials would be as far away from it as possible. I had little doubt the Sig would not pass anyway. It's a very nice gun, but its design is not as torture-resistant as Glocks and that is obvious.
Dont get me wrong, I love my GLOCK, plan on future GLOCKs, and am damn impressed by this thread. But the 226 is both designed to be and IS element and torture-resistant, as evidenced by decades of real-world use with NSW and other agencies and units who report excellent results in the field.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:42   #136
seed

SIGSAREBETTER, how do you think the Sigs would fare in this torture test as compared to a Glock?

P.S. I love Sigs too, have two and wish I had more.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:26   #137
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Quote:
Originally posted by seed
SIGSAREBETTER, how do you think the Sigs would fare in this torture test as compared to a Glock?

P.S. I love Sigs too, have two and wish I had more.

Tough to say, although I'll concede probably not as well. For one, the finish is not as good on a SIG, particularly stock bluing but even Nitron. So the exposure/rust/corrosion test would be in the GLOCK's favor. The SIG has more moving parts and exposed hammer, etc, so it may somewhat more vulnerable to some of the junk tests. But for sand/dirt etc, it's hard to imagine the SIG not matching the GLOCK given my experience (3 SIG P226s). I've never purposely done what he has w/ his G21, but my active outdoor lifestyle in the rainy PacNW has gotten my guns plenty of exposure.

As for the bullet tests, I've only heard of one incident involving a CA LEO whose 226 took a centerfire round of some sort, he fired once and they took off. IIRC it could not fire after that, but then the GLOCK was dealing with rimfire rounds so it's tough to say. I'd day the stamped steel slide variants would fare worse, but who knows.

I prefer the SIG, I think the SIG can match the GLOCK step for step in anything a combat/defensive handgun might normally encounter (while having more panache ), but I'll concede the GLOCK might have a few advantages as far as this over-the-top test is concerned.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:17   #138
PAHLAVAN

You ever want to know about the function and quality of a sidearms, just look at how many agencies use it. The Navy seals, British SAS and thousands more did not choose the 226 because it would jam easily in harsh conditions. The only reason the U.S. military went with the 92FS is price. And look at how many issue the Glock. They're both aewsome when it comes to reliability and torture tests.
Old 01-18-2006, 22:30   #139
R3508
Curmudgeon

Hoppes no. 9 ?

To think there was a time when my pals would "break my balls" for not babying my beloved G17.....
I thought that I was abusing my first Glock, obviously, I was just "breaking her in"! This is why I never turn down a deal on a good used Glock!
NRA Life Member
Mark Levin Conservative
R3508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 16:52   #140
Stony
Plastk_Fantastk

Send a message via AIM to Stony
Its sort of ironic/moronic that I am catching guff from some of the guys at 1911forum.com b/c I'm pissed that when I dropped my Kimber SS-II , the Mainspring Housing shattered and gun pieces went everywhere. From a plane? no- From a rooftop? no- I dropped it accidentally from my hip holster onto a concrete floor. A 3 to 4 foot drop and the "venerable" 1911 crapped out. I plan on fixing it, since the customer service isn't exactly top knotch, and selling it in order to buy a (duh dah dah dahhh!) Glock 21 after reading this thread. I have a G22 already, but like 45acp as a personal preference. Great job with the testing. Please forward to U.S. Government - and whoever is incharge of buying sidearms like the M9 for "duty use". After seeing your thread and tests, I might buy an extra one to keep in a tool box, or tie to a rope and drag behind my jeep. (its a joke fellas) but not to far off from what the Glock Test Champion of the world did here. Bravo!
Stony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 17:10   #141
PAHLAVAN

I like the 1911. Use to have a para LDA that was great and I kick myself for selling it. But the design is from, errr.. year 1911. Can't compare with Glocks etc....

But I still likem a lot for not owning one.
Old 01-22-2006, 20:01   #142
MARTIN FISHER

I knew a SWAT officer who was repelling a three story building in training, his Sig got ripped from his holster and fell to the conctrete, shattering the frame on impact. A fellow officer, carring a Glock 22 laughed. The bet was on and the Glock was unloaded and tossed off the same three story building, the tritium vile in the front sight broke, but the G22 was fine. Take it for what it's worth.

Great thread.
MARTIN FISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 20:57   #143
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN FISHER
I knew a SWAT officer who was repelling a three story building in training, his Sig got ripped from his holster and fell to the conctrete, shattering the frame on impact. A fellow officer, carring a Glock 22 laughed. The bet was on and the Glock was unloaded and tossed off the same three story building, the tritium vile in the front sight broke, but the G22 was fine. Take it for what it's worth.

Great thread.
What it's worth? It's worth BUYING A GLOCK AS MY NEXT PISTOL!!;f Seriously though, his tests, and stories like the two above, are waht really made me decide for sure that I want a GLOCK as my next pistol (Well, that, and shooting a G21 and a G30.).

;g

;8 ;I
Old 01-22-2006, 21:04   #144
PAHLAVAN

I just picked up my 21
Old 01-22-2006, 21:07   #145
Walter45Auto

Send a message via Yahoo to Walter45Auto
Congratulations. You'll LOVE IT! It's a TACKDRIVER! (Don't own one yet, but I HAVE shot one, better than I've ever shot any other firearm, I might add.)

;g

;8 ;I
Old 01-23-2006, 07:37   #146
PAHLAVAN

Thanks, but I already know I love it. I use to carry one before switching to the G-22. Now I'm going back.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:52   #147
RiverVan
FREEDOM

a brief thanks

Thank you for your hard and competent work for al of us on GT. It was tests like you have done that brought me to Glock almost a decade and a half ago now. I’m a 9mm and .40 guy my self but if your 21 will “take it” like that so will my .40’s. I appreciate it, and please keep on posting! Maybe someday you can put together a book to compete with “The Complete Glock Reference Guide”! I’ll buy a copy! Seriously, I do appreciate the posting and the expense and time you have one to!
River
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42   #148
Sulaco

Used to own a 21 (or two), sold it (them), just bought another one. Good to know they are so durable, but I guess this test could have easily been done with ANY model Glock since they are all virtually the same, well at least where it counts they are. I think I will hold onto this one. Thanks for all the hard (fun) work!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:58   #149
diver 1956

Glock not dependable

I wish I could say that my Glock 26 was that dependable. I bought a new one and within the first 100 rounds (Winchester 115 gr. FMJs) I had 3 FTF (light strikes on the primer).
I sent it back to Symrna where they supposedly "fixed" it. When I got it back I ran another box through it of the same ammo. and had light strikes at 70rds, 106,rds, and 110 rounds.
Before someone critisizes my grip, let me say that I teach CHL plus for almost 3 years I test fired guns for the local police dept crime lab., so I'm not a limp wristed shooter.
Yes, it's going back to Smyrna again!
diver 1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:58   #150
creophus
Born Again

Quote:
Originally posted by SIGSAREBETTER

As for the bullet tests, I've only heard of one incident involving a CA LEO whose 226 took a centerfire round of some sort, he fired once and they took off. IIRC it could not fire after that, but then the GLOCK was dealing with rimfire rounds so it's tough to say. I'd day the stamped steel slide variants would fare worse, but who knows.
Please explain this. There's no such thing as a rimfire Glock...is there?

#448 .40S&W, 1911, Rimfire , Kalishnikov, & Black Rifle club
creophus is offline   Reply With Quote