GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:29   #151
Animalmother

Have read and heard a lot about this subject over the years and have come to conclude that leaving mags loaded is not a problem.
Animalmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:15   #152
whistler52

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw6464 View Post
It's really the amount of compression/rebound cycles over time that kills a spring not a constant compression. A constant compression on a spring is no different then being contantly uncompressed.

Using the same mag over and over is what kills springs not time. Springs engineered and manufactured to be springs DON'T weaken from being loaded within their design specifications as explained in the orginal post on this thread.

So the issue at hand is if you have a mag that you keep loaded for long periods of time, do you need to replace them... just because?
IMO the internet myth is that constant compression does not change a magazine spring. Go to the Wolff Gun Springs website and read FAQ #5.

But, you really don't need Wolff to tell you this. Take a used Glock mag and a new Glock mag and press down on the follower. With my used Glock mags I can feel less force pushing the follower up compared to a new Glock mag.

Now whether the spring force continues to reduce with age and use is debatable. But, to maintain that constant compression is the same as a totally uncompressed state is clearly wrong.
whistler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:53   #153
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

No reason to replace them more than every 5 years or so. They'll function indefinitely, but it's cheap to replace them every 5 years or so, even though it's not really necessary. And if you're looking for good info, the internet isn't necessarily your first choice, to go further, if you're looking for good info on the internet, getting advice on whether replacement is necessary from the website of a company that sells replacements is ludicrous.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 17:10   #154
den888

I never overfill mags, but keep them loaded in my G26 (it's my HD weapon).
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 20:40   #155
SHOOTER629
CLM Number HBK
Let's Roll !

So true!

Originally Posted by raw6464
It's really the amount of compression/rebound cycles over time that kills a spring not a constant compression. A constant compression on a spring is no different then being contantly uncompressed.

Not to make a point but, I had this question hammered to me by students in the past. I called H&K, Glock and colt a few years back and they all stated the same thing-" Rebound Cycles causes the springs to weaken not constant compression. Also, just last year at a Sig Armorers class the question was asked again, Sig Trainer stated the same " Rebound cycles causes weakness in springs."
Niner's 629
Cert Glock,Sig,H&K,Colt Armorer
Instructor,Basic / Advance / tactical / Dominate shooting skills

Last edited by SHOOTER629; 01-03-2010 at 13:29..
SHOOTER629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59   #156
PATRICE
. . . . .

Last edited by PATRICE; 01-04-2010 at 21:06..
PATRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 21:02   #157
JohnKSa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICE
One faction...leaving the magazine loaded, causes spring wear. Another faction...cycling the magazine causes spring wear.
It would be more accurate to summarize in the following manner.

One faction says that leaving the magazine fully loaded may cause the spring to weaken if the spring materials, spring design, spring manufacturing techniques are wanting or if the magazine design overcompresses the spring either unintentionally or intentionally as a design compromise to save space and weight while maximizing capacity at the expense of an inexpensive easily replaced part. Otherwise it won't weaken the springs.

Another faction says that cycling the magazine causes spring wear but only over a very long period of use unless the spring materials, spring design or spring manufacturing techniques are wanting.

Last edited by JohnKSa; 01-04-2010 at 23:35..
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 20:00   #158
oldschool1961
Oldschool

Extremely Well writen and interesting article. You have answered several things I have often thought about. Thanks......
oldschool1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:06   #159
cciman

This (below) is probably the best engineering / chemical/ physics answer, but it assumes that the material used is not deformed by that first initial full load, or x loads after that. Cycle of one over time.

Simple test is to have 50 new springs, measure them all before, and after a full mag load, then tabulate the lengths. Ideally, to do the same test over a few ranges in time: Immediately, 1 month, 6months, 1yr, 10 yr., etc. to see what effect time has on compression x length of spring.

All I know is I have personally squashed once and shortened many a pen spring in my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunderwood View Post
I decided to look at custom/high performance spring manufactures (not gun springs). I wanted to look for a generic, engineering answer and I found one.

In short, the engineering community agrees that springs do not have issues with storage in a none rest state as long as the are operated in a range of compression or elongation that does not deform the spring. Instead the consensus was that springs wear out through cycles. Thus, your mag springs get softer or wear out by loading/unloading the mags.

Storing any number of rounds in a mag (0-max) has no impact on spring performance or lifespan since you do not deform the spring (if you did it wouldn't work after the first load/unload cycle). However, changing the follower to cram another round or two into a mag might compress it enough to slightly deform it.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 19:22   #160
j-glock22

I've kept mags loaded for years and shot fine. I never have had to replace a mag spring yet to date... And I still have a few NFML's
j-glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54   #161
Eagle22

Oh wait intruder / bad guy I have to load up my mags, before I can defend myself.

NOT.

NC Glockers #139
Eagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 15:29   #162
PBR Sailor

I am not an engineer and can only speak from practical experience. When some of the people I train left their Glock magazines loaded for an extended period of time without "resting" the springs, the magazines failed to lock the slide open after the last shot. Most of them fed adequately, but did not lock the slide open. Some of the magazines caused feeding problems. After I replaced the magazine springs, they functioned properly in almost every case. The people who took care of their equipment and "rested" their magazine springs did not have any problems.

No math formula, no scientific studies, just my experience with maintaining over 70 Glock 22 pistols for ten years.

Last edited by PBR Sailor; 03-08-2010 at 15:44..
PBR Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:50   #163
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-glock22 View Post
I've kept mags loaded for years and shot fine. I never have had to replace a mag spring yet to date... And I still have a few NFML's

I am still waiting for at least one of my mag springs to fail in some way.
Old 03-08-2010, 21:10   #164
JohnKSa

Quote:
I am still waiting for at least one of my mag springs to fail in some way.
Well, I suppose that's one approach.

OR, one could learn from the experiences of others...
Quote:
...just my experience with maintaining over 70 Glock 22 pistols for ten years.
Given that very few of us will ever get to "experiment" with that many pistols, when someone who has had such experience posts it publicly, it is a very valuable resource.
Old 04-15-2010, 14:14   #165
Ceapea

Does anybody here remember when their mags were new? The 3 mags that I have for my 34 were pretty tough when the last few rounds were loaded in. Now, they just slip in. That has to say something for springs wearing out. I too have a 33 rd mag (2 actually for the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 that I am on a waiting list for) and after leaving 25 rounds in it for 3 months (my nightstand gun is the 34 with the 33 mag) the last few bullets barely pop out when I cycle them out. They probably will feed all of the time, but I don't want to find out that they don't at just the wrong time. Yes, I believe that springs loose their "spring"! There, I said it. But from what I've seen, it's true. Go ahead, try loading a brand new mag next to your old one, you will notice a difference. And if springs don't wear out, you wouldn't!

Ceapea
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 14:30   #166
Ceapea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR Sailor View Post
I am not an engineer and can only speak from practical experience. When some of the people I train left their Glock magazines loaded for an extended period of time without "resting" the springs, the magazines failed to lock the slide open after the last shot. Most of them fed adequately, but did not lock the slide open. Some of the magazines caused feeding problems. After I replaced the magazine springs, they functioned properly in almost every case. The people who took care of their equipment and "rested" their magazine springs did not have any problems.

No math formula, no scientific studies, just my experience with maintaining over 70 Glock 22 pistols for ten years.
I agree with this.
You know, all anybody has to do is compare a new mag to an old one to see the difference. It's as simple as that! If anyone actually performs that small,easy test, they could never say that springs don't wear out. I mean really! It is not magic, has nothing to do with anything but the fact that there is a difference. What would cause that difference?

Ceapea
Ceapea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:29   #167
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

My mags are loaded all of the time with no problems.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 17:13   #168
Thunderbolt56

New to Glock magazines, but my colt 1911 mags stayed filled for over 5 years (I had three) and stood up to almost weekly trips to the range and through quite a few informal local range competitions. Never had a failure.

I've already bought 3 extra mags for my Glock and plan on getting a couple more. I keep two loaded with SD ammo and the rest loaded with range ammo because I often go at the drop of a hat and it's nice to be able to run off 50 rounds without having to reload anything.

They're cheap enough that I'd just grab a new one (or two) every year and rotate the older ones out if I were worried about it, but I'm not there yet.

Just keep them clean and I wouldn't worry about it.
Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:46   #169
elLOCOmutha
NRA Benefactor

My magazines are always loaded when stored/carried, never had a problem with any of them for any of my firearms.
elLOCOmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 17:03   #170
Ringo S.

I keep Makarov in my car, never had any problems with magazine.
Ringo S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 22:28   #171
Mako72401

Send a message via Yahoo to Mako72401
I tend to keep magazines loaded for the couple of pistols I carry the most. I have never had a problem with them feeding, but always am a little conscious/worried about the springs. Good original sticky article though. Makes me feel a little bit better.
Mako72401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:24   #172
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Something to be mindful of- all springs aren't the same. No, glock mags won't wear out sooner from being kept loaded, but some mfrs springs, and most pump shotgun magazine springs will fade if loaded to capacity, at least old mossberg and remingtons.
Old 07-07-2010, 16:08   #173
Glock23shooter
FN Herstal

Send a message via AIM to Glock23shooter
Quik question what is so special about the LE/GOVT glock mags? And the reg glock mags...
Glock23shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 18:00   #174
ChicagoZman

The LE/GOVT mags have LE/GOVT marked on them. Other than that, nothing.
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 18:02   #175
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoZman View Post
The LE/GOVT mags have LE/GOVT marked on them. Other than that, nothing.
And they were made from Sept 94 to Sept 2004. Thats it.