SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2005, 18:48   #61
g23defender
L.G.S.T.O.

Send a message via Yahoo to g23defender
i keep mine loaded all the time. i never had a problem with a magazine.(but i do go out to the range each month.)
Old 12-20-2005, 18:16   #62
EAGLESFANPHILA

My uncle had an old 25 calibur pistol he hadn't shot in about 20 years. We took it to the range and it fired with those old bullets. I have no doubt Glocks will work find after 30 days.
EAGLESFANPHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 18:07   #63
toemag
Glock owner.

I once had a glock mag spring break on me, it snapped about two third's down. My local gunshop had a real giggle about it. The mag spring was replaced without charge, not that it would have caused me any problem's, as I have a further 10 mag's to choose from.

Tony
Old 12-29-2005, 15:30   #64
Lady27

Some of this on this sounds at least comforting considering mine stay loaded a lot. But with extensions on a 9 round they comfortably take 10. Not as much pressure as when they only loaded 9. That's good too. Anyway, my husband wants to buy me some extra mags so that I can rotate, because he is still of the mind that they need rotation. They will be 15 round mags, which will be nice. So for selfish reasons I am not showing him this thread until I get those mags. Once I have my extra mags you can persuade him that I don't really need to rotate.
Lady27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 19:56   #65
unclebob

Quote:
Originally posted by toemag
I once had a glock mag spring break on me, it snapped about two third's down. My local gunshop had a real giggle about it. The mag spring was replaced without charge, not that it would have caused me any problem's, as I have a further 10 mag's to choose from.

Tony
Do you always carry 10 mags with you all the time? I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. I don't care if you went out to the range and shoot you grandpas mag that has been loaded since World War 1. Would you take it and use that mag for a carry piece. I sure would not, Yes it works fine out on the practice range but when the chip are down Murhpy takes over. How many of you go out to the range and shoot a gun nothen happens. Go to a match and as soon as the buzzer goes off everything goes to hell, Murhphy's Law at work again. If you like carrying a mag in your gun that has been loaded for the last 10 years that is your prerogative. Me, I switch mags every month and change the ammo every 6 months. just like the battery in the smoke detecter. I know Murphy all to well. Just my 2 cents.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-05-2006, 00:17   #66
Locojmc
Native Texan

Great thread thanks to all for the info.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:21   #67
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

;P
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44   #68
a1911owner

Quote:
Originally posted by unclebob
Do you always carry 10 mags with you all the time? I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. I don't care if you went out to the range and shoot you grandpas mag that has been loaded since World War 1. Would you take it and use that mag for a carry piece. I sure would not, Yes it works fine out on the practice range but when the chip are down Murhpy takes over. How many of you go out to the range and shoot a gun nothen happens. Go to a match and as soon as the buzzer goes off everything goes to hell, Murhphy's Law at work again. If you like carrying a mag in your gun that has been loaded for the last 10 years that is your prerogative. Me, I switch mags every month and change the ammo every 6 months. just like the battery in the smoke detecter. I know Murphy all to well. Just my 2 cents.
Nobody said never to change mag springs or rotate mags. WHat has been said is the the issue of spring set is way overblown.

You don't need to change mag springs every six months in the vast majority of cases.
a1911owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 18:24   #69
toemag
Glock owner.

Your right Unclebob, I don't always have 10 mag's on hand. On a normal range day I'll have 5 or so in the range bag, and another two in the box with the G17.

Mr. Murphy has done enough to me in the past few year's to start a thread or a blog, just on him & his escapade's. I wonder what he pack's?

We don't have a need for CCW here, if and when I carry the G17 while hunting I normally have two mag's on me, I think that 34 round's will be more than I could need. As a rule I carry the Colt Detective Special 2, with 2 speedloader's filled with SJHP.

Apart from that one spring that broke on me, I aint replaced any of the other's and they work fine.

Tony
Old 01-18-2006, 07:27   #70
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

;a
Old 01-20-2006, 06:26   #71
mpanwar

Over Stress LImits

After reading the above I am happy that our mags can stay loaded aka compressed.

However, what if I added one of those Grip Extension things (Pearce, Scherer, etc) that add +1 or +2 capacity.

Guess that may overload the spring, possibly not, what do you think?
mpanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 19:21   #72
unclebob

Quote:
Originally posted by a1911owner
Nobody said never to change mag springs or rotate mags. WHat has been said is the the issue of spring set is way overblown.

You don't need to change mag springs every six months in the vast majority of cases.
That is not what I said. I have over 80 Glock mags the only springs that I have changed so far is I think 10 of them that I wanted a longer spring In the mag. Other than that All of the others are okey. I never said to change the mag springs every six months. I said For my carry gun I rotate my 5 carry mags every month, and change the ammo every 6 months. Yes the issue of spring set is probably overblown. But I'm not going to be the one that test out some ones else theory, that he or she may or may not know what they are talking about. If you want to keep your same mags load for 6 months or 6 years, that is your prerogative. It's just not mine. I don't claim to be a expert. Just almost 60 years of personal experance dealing with Mr. Murphy on and off.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57   #73
drew357

When I went to Iraq in 2003 they told us not to load our M16A2 mags with the full 30 rounds. We could only load 28 rounds in 3 mags and carry 40 extra rounds on clips. But my Glock 19 and 32 always stay loaded. Never had any problem.
FNP-45
Bushy AR-15
drew357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 19:46   #74
DocGlock2006

Loaded mags still effective

While the fact of my magazines being constantly loaded to "Max" for the past 7 years hardly compares to that of the WWII magazines, it does present sufficient time to assure that time compressed does not bring about significant or meaningful decrease of the springs' functional integrity. In terms of the "myth" coming in, I believe that it is not "myth", but "marketing". We are told by those who would sell us "rebuild kits" for our magazines that we "need them". Not! I have never rebuilt any magazine, and all of my magazines still function fine. This was a fantastic thread! Thank-you all! Save your money for something more significant--more magazines, not more magazine springs.

DocGlock2006
DocGlock2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 14:53   #75
squirreld

I back off 1 round.

why,
-what jobob said about seating the magazine, I have had more than 1 mag fall out.
-racking the slide is much harder with the full mag.
-that last round is just a *%^$# to load and cuts my fingers after doing it all day.
-It can only help the spring.
squirreld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 16:39   #76
cyberghostx13
Devil-Dog

Glock 37

Hello. I recently purchased a Glock 37, for "Home Defense" and some target shooting. I will only be able to shoot once a month maybe, due to being just too busy. However, carrying a firearm as in "Day Job" I do not, so I am not going to be an expert on any of this stuff. Well here's my question/scenario. I have two mags loaded, one is in the Glock(But not chambered), if I don't get to the range but once a month, how often should I unload and let magazines be empty(I just purchased 3 more for a total of 5) and also what about the bullets and rotation thereof etc. I'm a ole USMC Vietnam Veteran that is new to this(Glock and having a firearm at home for defense), and appreciate all the help I can get. CG13.
Old 04-01-2006, 21:29   #77
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

cyberghostx13,

Those mags will never give you any problem being fully loaded. It is a myth (put out by spring makers) that mags springs are damaged by leaving them loaded. Always keep your Glock ready with 1 in the chamber. The bad guys always have thier weapons ready, so should you.

Old 04-03-2006, 22:31   #78
cyberghostx13
Devil-Dog

Mags/Loaded

Thanks for the advice Glockdude, much appreciated. CG13.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14   #79
Illuminaughty

I used to have a ruger 10/22 with those 10 round factory rotary mags.. I left them loaded for a few years, and they all had feed problems, and one must've broke or something, the ammo just fell out of the mag.

I've left my ak mags loaded (about 20 or so) for years, and never had a problem with one of them. I've left my hungarian .380 loaded for years, and no problems. I've left my hi point .45 loaded for as long as I've had it (maybe a year, not much, but hey) and have had no problem.

I think its just very poorly designed/faulty/cheap mags that have problems. I keep all my guns loaded to the very last bullet and have never had a problem other than that .22 I used to have.

And before that I had an oooold .22 that loaded just fine with the magazine it came with, even after I kept it loaded for a few years strait.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 20:28   #80
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

I too have left AK mags loaded for several years and have never had a single 30rd mag give me any problems.