GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 17:00   #76
searcher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally posted by fredj338
sorry searcher, but your theory is wrong ~1. You can test it yourself by shooting a 5 gallon bucket full of sand. What's it wiegh, 60-70#. Shoot it w/ any handgun round you want & it will NOT be pushed over. The instant collapse you see in men & animls after being hit is either surprise reaction or neurological failure. No such thing as "energy dump", sorry man.
Actually, the theory is right. It just doesn't lead to a "knockdown effect" in this case because the "collision" is between a bullet and a soft target. It is a little more apparent in the sport of silhouette shooting where large steel plate animals are knocked over by bullets. In fact, Newton's famous 2nd law commonly stated as "Net Force = mass x acceleration" was originally stated by Newton as "Net Force = (mass x change in velocity) / time" in the special case where the mass is a constant, as in a moving bullet. The term in parentheses is called "impulse" in physics. In words it says that "resultant force equals the time rate of change of momentum." As the time of the interaction approaches zero the force approaches infinity. In other words, the faster the momentum changes, the greater the force.

Another example is the difference in the "kick" felt when you shoot a +p+ round versus a standard pressure round of the same bullet weight out of the same gun. The bullet in the +p+ round gets to any given velocity in less time than the standard velocity round while travelling down the barrel . Same change in momentum in less time yields more felt "kick" or force. Newton's 3rd law about equal and opposite reactions doesn't really explain anything about what happens when the bullet hits the target. The fact that the gun doesn't knock you over doesn't mean diddly. What happens when the bullet is in the barrel and when it hits the target are completely separate events. His second law tells the story, especially in the form he originally used. Sorry to get so technical. The point of my post was to say that even though "knock-down force" from a handgun used for self defense is theoretically possible it can't happen in practice. A reference for the theory is Engineering Mechanics Volume 2: Dynamics fourth edition by J.L. Meriam pages 191-192.

Last edited by searcher; 05-08-2011 at 20:08..
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 23:23   #77
DAVE RICHARDS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: FRANKLIN, TN.
Posts: 1,623
Send a message via Yahoo to DAVE RICHARDS
You know I could never see the logic of one professional trainer who shall remain nameless would say something like this. Double tap the chest, lower weapon to 45 degrees to access effect, if necessary go for a head shot. why in the hell would you stop "AND LOWER YOUR WEAPON to 45 degrees" to access effect if the son of a gun is still standing? Shoot the bastard as your moving for cover until he drops! Of course you need as much as possible to also be checking for other possible assailants. But for God's sake take care of the immediate one!
In the 5-6 times I've had to draw a weapon on another human being (thank God they quit at the sight of the weapon) I was not thinking about a double tap or whatever. If I had to shoot I was going to shoot until he went down or slide lock! And sometimes they can go down and get right back up. So even ater they go down stay behind cover till your sure they are out of the fight for good.
__________________
DAVE RICHARDS
DAVE RICHARDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 23:37   #78
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


I don't know about lowering the weapon but if the first two rounds don't work then the head is a good place to go or the pelvis if the head is not able to be hit.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 16:20   #79
454ThunderGod
Handgun Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: West
Posts: 654
Well...I will offer only this.

As a Handgun hunter, I live by the oneshot-one kill rule. For many reasons. I have attained the ability to maximize its effect when filling my freezer. Nowadays, a box of ammo tends to last two seasons.
All I can say is that the princples that I follow and htose followed by my father and gradnfather before I, bring forth a shot that always anchors the animal and dropps into tis own hoofsteps.

Now , can this be applied to the defensive scenario. Yes. The basic principles of terminal ballistics still apply, though some of the surrounding stipulations have changed. If in a defensive situation a bullet from a handgun can bring a man down in one shot. Everything else is an assessment of environmental factors with regards to the dynamics of the shooting/Attack.

If one is a good enough chess player, and is able to work those conditions in his favor. He can have his one shot kill, and he can have it almost everytime.

FOlks speak of the reassurance of the douple tap. all of which is valid. However some folks prefer the reassurance of still having ammo left to take on the guy behind you with the crowbar.

Even in the unlikely scenario of having to deal with multiple attackers in your home, it is still to ones advantage to be able to incapacitate and kill with one shot.

Aside from all this, most importantly one must understand what body targets give him that one shot kill. Then must determine if the ammo being used has the terminal performance to strike those targets effecftively.

(Im not sure who came up with it, but one shot kill by shooting any part of the torso is a load of garbage and a gross misinterpretation of the facts.)

For starters, if your choice of ammo cannot maintain a relatively striaght path while traveling through the human body. Best to stick with a double tap

DOnt let your double taps get more than 3 inches apart.

A high level of tissue distruction is the way to go, but mroe importantly it is distruction of the correct tissues.

All of you who choose to own a gun for defensive reasons need to be well versed in basic human anatomy. Just as I need to be educated in basic deer and Elk anatomy.

LAstly is the issue of stress. Stress management comes with proper training. There are those out there who have brought down charging Hippos and Rhinos with one shot. Im pretty sure the stress level of a raging Hippo is a bit moreso than from that of raging crackhead.


All I will say, if you train properly. It will work for you.

besides, lack of stress management will also have neegaive effects on the double tap. High Stress is not overcome by shooting techniques. Be professional and try not to oet your douple tap turn into "Spray and Pray"

The effectiveness Both one shot, and double taps are a function of terminal ballistics and shot placement. From there, must learn to control the surrounding factors that interfere with your shot placement.

One can train successfully to quick draw and fire into that sweet spot every time.

as far as the gun is concerned, you will need a weapn that can put the bullet into a <a *******'text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=tennis%20ball" ***********="window.status='tennis ball'; return true;" **********="window.status=''; return true;">tennis ball</a> size target within the distance of an average room - everytime. If you cannot do this, then perhaps your double tap is preferred.

In conclusion....The single shot kill in a defensive scenario is much more difficult to attain than killing someone with multiple shots. However is is an ability that offers the shooter so many more advantages and brings the individual shooter into a higher level of firearm proficiency and marksmanship.

Last edited by 454ThunderGod; 08-27-2005 at 16:31..
454ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 16:31   #80
454ThunderGod
Handgun Hunter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: West
Posts: 654
To comment on other training standards.


CENTER of MASS
Trying to hit center mass is not condusive to killing quickly, nor is it comndusive to even good shot placement. Keep in mind that your targets are about the size of your fist and smaller.

Aim Small - Miss small.

When aiming, do so quickly yet smoothly. Do not be hurried or spastic. Stress managemnt will come from time management. The more fractions of a second you can save by eliminating needless movements, the better your shot placement will be.

Lastly, that sweet spot is not exactly Center of Mass, expect it to be to one side or another.
454ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 21:26   #81
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net
 
RMTactical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Behind an AR-15
Posts: 29,789


Quote:
Originally posted by 454ThunderGod
Well...I will offer only this.

As a Handgun hunter, I live by the oneshot-one kill rule. For many reasons. I have attained the ability to maximize its effect when filling my freezer. Nowadays, a box of ammo tends to last two seasons.
All I can say is that the princples that I follow and htose followed by my father and gradnfather before I, bring forth a shot that always anchors the animal and dropps into tis own hoofsteps.

Now , can this be applied to the defensive scenario. Yes. The basic principles of terminal ballistics still apply, though some of the surrounding stipulations have changed. If in a defensive situation a bullet from a handgun can bring a man down in one shot. Everything else is an assessment of environmental factors with regards to the dynamics of the shooting/Attack.

If one is a good enough chess player, and is able to work those conditions in his favor. He can have his one shot kill, and he can have it almost everytime.

FOlks speak of the reassurance of the douple tap. all of which is valid. However some folks prefer the reassurance of still having ammo left to take on the guy behind you with the crowbar.

Even in the unlikely scenario of having to deal with multiple attackers in your home, it is still to ones advantage to be able to incapacitate and kill with one shot.

Aside from all this, most importantly one must understand what body targets give him that one shot kill. Then must determine if the ammo being used has the terminal performance to strike those targets effecftively.

(Im not sure who came up with it, but one shot kill by shooting any part of the torso is a load of garbage and a gross misinterpretation of the facts.)

For starters, if your choice of ammo cannot maintain a relatively striaght path while traveling through the human body. Best to stick with a double tap

DOnt let your double taps get more than 3 inches apart.

A high level of tissue distruction is the way to go, but mroe importantly it is distruction of the correct tissues.

All of you who choose to own a gun for defensive reasons need to be well versed in basic human anatomy. Just as I need to be educated in basic deer and Elk anatomy.

LAstly is the issue of stress. Stress management comes with proper training. There are those out there who have brought down charging Hippos and Rhinos with one shot. Im pretty sure the stress level of a raging Hippo is a bit moreso than from that of raging crackhead.


All I will say, if you train properly. It will work for you.

besides, lack of stress management will also have neegaive effects on the double tap. High Stress is not overcome by shooting techniques. Be professional and try not to oet your douple tap turn into "Spray and Pray"

The effectiveness Both one shot, and double taps are a function of terminal ballistics and shot placement. From there, must learn to control the surrounding factors that interfere with your shot placement.

One can train successfully to quick draw and fire into that sweet spot every time.

as far as the gun is concerned, you will need a weapn that can put the bullet into a <a *******'text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=tennis%20ball" ***********="window.status='tennis ball'; return true;" **********="window.status=''; return true;">tennis ball</a> size target within the distance of an average room - everytime. If you cannot do this, then perhaps your double tap is preferred.

In conclusion....The single shot kill in a defensive scenario is much more difficult to attain than killing someone with multiple shots. However is is an ability that offers the shooter so many more advantages and brings the individual shooter into a higher level of firearm proficiency and marksmanship.
You can't be serious! Bad analogy with shooting 4 legged critters.

Does your prey shoot back? Do they run for good cover like concrete or thick steel? Do they always threaten your life or the life of others before you decide to shoot? Do you always CCW with a very large caliber revolver and a scope?

I'm sorry, but a oneshot-one kill world is hardly realistic. Even professionally trained snipers only have a kill percentage of like 50%. This is assuming you are shooting at an individual who possibly doesn't even know he is a target (similar to hunting).

When you get into a gunfight, your target must know he is in your crosshairs(at least the vast majority of the time) or your probably committing murder.
__________________
http://www.rockymountaintactical.net/

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 18:18   #82
Ebb27
Senior Member
 
Ebb27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: East of the mountains
Posts: 2,828
You would definitely stand a better chance
at a one shot stop with a handgun
if the target is standing still
and unaware it's going to be shot,
such as in a hunting situation.

Now if they're moving around
trying to avoid getting shot
or their adrenaline is pumping
and they don't care if they get shot
it's considerably tougher.

Try bringing down an animal
that's running top speed
or crazed with fear
with one shot from a handgun.
I believe you'll find the percentage
of one shot kills will drop dramatically.
__________________
A Glock in the hand,
is worth two in the safe.
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 18:12   #83
gun lover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: canada
Posts: 37
Re: Really Scary!!

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgranpa
And here I was hoping someday to see a "two-shot-stop" rating of different calibers. It's becoming obvious that would be no more effective than a "one-shot-stop" rating, whatever that is.

I guess for us civilians with our little 9mm pocket guns the best rule is still rule 3.....run away if you can!

Changes what I think about my .45 home defense pistol too.

Whatever!

og
i guess we all have to carry 44 magnums now
gun lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:13   #84
DunedinDragon
Senior Oldtimer
 
DunedinDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dunedin, FL
Posts: 429
What I glean from the original article is, shoot fast, shoot straight, and don't stop shooting until the target stops. Shooting fast and straight is a function of practice. Not ceasing fire until the BG stops is really a concern of law, politics, and public opinion.

In some ways a LEO is at a disadvantage in a shooting incident in comparison to a civilian. The expectation is that the LEO's training will lead him to being reasonable in his use of force in an emergency, whereas that expectation is not as high for a civilian. Therefore, emptying a full mag of 13 rds of .45 hollow-points into a BG might not be as justifiable after the fact for a LEO as it would be for a civilian who is "scared out of his wits and firing for his life." I guess if I was a BG I might be a whole lot less frightened to face off with a LEO than a well-armed and well-practiced civilian.

The only way to change this type of limit on LEOs is to make sure review boards, lawyers, district attorneys, and public officials read articles like this and become more educated on the dynamics involved in shooting incidents.
DunedinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37   #85
MOHAA Player
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I look at the whole situation of stopping power as anything can happen,and shoot until there is no more threat.If we get invaded or something else on that level I am only relying on my handgun to get me back home to a long rifle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 18:04   #86
SJCTristen
Member
 
SJCTristen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Re: Re: Re: Maybe they should carry 44 mags with mags safe defender ammo

Quote:
Originally posted by gary newport
You nailed it! ;c
This being said, wouldn't it be better to shoot a round that has less recoil? If you can get a 9mm back on This being said, wouldn't it be better to shoot a round that has less recoil? If you can get a 9mm back on target, ready fire another round accurately at the assailant, wouldn't that be a better choice than a .45 or a 10mm, tactically?
__________________
Glock 19 Gen 1
---------------
Civil is the body as Savage is the mind.
SJCTristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 22:33   #87
10mm4ever
10mm Pusher
 
10mm4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: sw,Ohio
Posts: 4,374
Thats a tough one!So much depends on the situation.Home defense...he's probably within 10 feet of you and can close that distance in about a second.That takes quick,precise follow up shots out of the equation,its no longer a factor whatsoever.What if the BG's got his hands on you and there's a struggle??I would think that a magnum,or say 10mm would have an advantage here.In the above scenario,you'll take whatever shot(s) you possibly can,and the ability to hit a femur(for example), with enough force to fragment bone and puncture the femural artery will end the fight right now!That same shot made with ,say a 9mm would most likely not end the struggle,and may give him just enough time make you dead.Assume that if you're lucky,you may get one shot only,and it may not be well placed due to the above circumstances.Quick follow up shots should have very little to do with caliber selection.This whole thing about assuming you'll get a clear "textbook" frontal shot into the vitals is nonsense,considering that your also being shot at and,or about to be stabbed,and or struggling to keep him from taking your gun away.Leave the "quick follow up shots" to the competitors and go with as much power as you can control.
10mm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 23:11   #88
Skipper55
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: It's cold up here.
Posts: 29
Most of my shooting is at paper or steel. I've never shot at any bi-peddlers. My only live target experience with handguns stopping a live target has been shooting four legged critters.

I live in the country. I have an apple tree about 15 yards from my front deck. I had an opossum infestation.

First opossum was in the apple tree at about a 45 degree angle from where I saw him from my deck. I had been target shooting earlier and my ammunition was 9mm parabellum, 115 grain, fmj. I took the shots at an minimal upward trajectory, the deck being just slightly lower than the branch upon which the opossum was perched.

Shot one. Thought I had missed. No movement by target.
Shot two. Thought I had missed again, but heard dripping on the ground below the opossum. Blood.
Shot three. Too close to shot four to notice anything.
Shot four. The opossum is still on the branch, quivvering some. Then slowly it swung to the underside of the tree branch hanging on with all fours. Then back legs let loose. Then it fell to the gound, still not dead.
Shot five. Finished him off at close range.

Upon examination of the target opossum I hit it five out of five shots. For some reason I was shooting a little low. My first aim was to the head and it ended up being neck/shoulder as best I can tell as was shot two. Three and four I believe were behind the shoulder a little and I was not taking head shots, but rather body shots with three and four. With the exception of one and two being a little low at 15 yards, the shots were about where I had expected.

Very next evening. Another opossum on the same tree, same branch or at least so close to the same branch that I couldn't tell the difference. Same deck angle. Same upward shot.

This time I'd been practicing with light to medium .357 magnum reloads earlier in the day. 125 grain semi jacketed hollow points by federal.

Shot one. Knocked the opossum out of the tree and it was dead before it hit the ground. The best I could determine the shot placement was about the same spot as shot one with the 9mm the evening before.

Last week there was a big raccoon at my back door eating some cat food I'd put out for my farm cats. I do not have back stairs and it was about three feet right below me. It was attacking the cats if they got near him and he was not frightened when I opened the door and yelled at him trying to scare him off. He just stared back at me. I'd been target shooting with the same 9x19 as described above. I shut the back door and got my pistol. The raccoon was still feeding and I shot down at his head at very close range. However, I was hanging on to the door jam with my left hand so as to not fall out the door on top of what I believed to be a sick animal and held the door open with my shooting forarm while taking the shot. The shot was just high and struck the raccoon in the back between the shoulders. He ran about 15 yards up the hill behind my house and turned around and stared at me again like I had missed him. I fired again, aiming at his head, and thought I did miss. To my surprise, the animal suddenly began to charge back down the hill toward me. I fired six or seven more times before he literally dropped at my feet. I still had to finish him off with one more shot as he was not dead, but very incapacitated. I did not examine the raccoon as closely as the opossums, and it was dark out when I shot the raccoon, but I could see the first shot between the shoulders from above, a more direct chest hit, presumably when he was at more on level with my shot trajectory, and three or four neck and body hits when he was charging me.

This is my first post here so please go easy on me. I can't help it that my only "one shot drop" had four legs!
Skipper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:36   #89
army_eod
Senior Member
 
army_eod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 1,825
Send a message via AIM to army_eod
That settles it..

GoreLicks. I think I will have to start carrying a shotgun and or an AK.
__________________
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
army_eod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 21:05   #90
omnivore75
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 64
I'm comfortable with my Glock 22 with high caps full of 165 grain Ranger T because I believe thats just about the most effective load/weapon combination for self defense available today, but I would also be fine with my Beretta 92fs Brigadier INOX with high caps full of 127 grain 9mm +P+ Ranger T because those loads almost could rival the .40, .357, and .45 stopping power wise (if there is such a thing) in my opinion, but it is just that. My opinion. What you trust and feel confident with is a personal choice. If I can I am grabbing my 12 ga. winchester 1300 Defender loaded with Ranger low recoil 00 buck or my AR with Lake City M855 or maybe even my Bushmaster type 97S Carbon 15 pistol (depending on situation/location) if I am defending my life and have the luxury of knowing about it ahead of time but I am not about to put all my handguns in a bag and throw them in the river if ya know what I mean. The very real advantahes of handguns is evident in the term it'self. "Hand" gun.
omnivore75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 18:42   #91
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net
 
RMTactical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Behind an AR-15
Posts: 29,789


Re: That settles it..

Quote:
Originally posted by army_eod
GoreLicks. I think I will have to start carrying a shotgun and or an AK.
There you go!!
__________________
http://www.rockymountaintactical.net/

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 21:07   #92
omnivore75
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 64
That would certainly be nice but perhaps a bit conspicuous if ya know what I mean. Talk about freaking people out.;g ;P
omnivore75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 22:52   #93
raptor3
Senior Member
 
raptor3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally posted by GoreLicks
What stands out to me is that 10% of these guys were killed with their own weapon... :(
What stands out even more is half of them were wearing body armor... which implies they were likely killed by a headshot.
raptor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 22:55   #94
raptor3
Senior Member
 
raptor3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally posted by GoreLicks

Does your prey shoot back?

I'm sorry, but a oneshot-one kill world is hardly realistic. Even professionally trained snipers only have a kill percentage of like 50%. This is assuming you are shooting at an individual who possibly doesn't even know he is a target (similar to hunting).

When you get into a gunfight, your target must know he is in your crosshairs(at least the vast majority of the time) or your probably committing murder.
You summed it up perfectly.
raptor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 23:05   #95
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


Quote:
Originally posted by raptor3
What stands out even more is half of them were wearing body armor... which implies they were likely killed by a headshot.
Not always sometimes the rounds go between the panels on guys who are overweight and the panels don't overlap. Sometimes it goes under the arm. (weaver stance presentation puts the weakest portion of your body right towards the bad guys bullets. Also their are major arteries in the legs that can kill you if their hit. The good news is it used to be 25% of officers were shot with their own weapon now its like 12%. Weapon retention training and security holsters have made the difference.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 23:08   #96
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


Quote:
Originally posted by omnivore75
I'm comfortable with my Glock 22 with high caps full of 165 grain Ranger T because I believe thats just about the most effective load/weapon combination for self defense available today, but I would also be fine with my Beretta 92fs Brigadier INOX with high caps full of 127 grain 9mm +P+ Ranger T because those loads almost could rival the .40, .357, and .45 stopping power wise (if there is such a thing) in my opinion, but it is just that. My opinion. What you trust and feel confident with is a personal choice. If I can I am grabbing my 12 ga. winchester 1300 Defender loaded with Ranger low recoil 00 buck or my AR with Lake City M855 or maybe even my Bushmaster type 97S Carbon 15 pistol (depending on situation/location) if I am defending my life and have the luxury of knowing about it ahead of time but I am not about to put all my handguns in a bag and throw them in the river if ya know what I mean. The very real advantahes of handguns is evident in the term it'self. "Hand" gun.
Handguns are there for when we don't know there is a fight comming. We carry them because their convienent and handy. Their not fight stoppers. They can save your bacon and also they can help you fight your way to your rifle or shotgun.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07   #97
10mm4ever
10mm Pusher
 
10mm4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: sw,Ohio
Posts: 4,374
Quote:
Originally posted by 355sigfan
Handguns are there for when we don't know there is a fight comming. We carry them because their convienent and handy. Their not fight stoppers. They can save your bacon and also they can help you fight your way to your rifle or shotgun.
Pat
So..."handguns are not fightstoppers"?Just another blanket statement from the "pro",eh?;Q Some are more effective fightstoppers than others,all things being equal,such as shot placement.Some are even very effective with mediocre shot placement.Also you state"we carry them because they're convenient and handy",sounds more like a condom to me.;Q
10mm4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45   #98
glug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
Damned right.

Double Tap's 135 gr jhp in the 10mm is lot more likely to suffice than 9mm or .45 ball ammo, for a fact. It's still far inferior, however, to the 12 ga, and the 12 ga has failed to stop quite a few with a chest hit. That hot a 10mm is also a lot harder to control for repeat hits (in a realistic size and wt ccw gun) than most will ever be able to handle. I will not settle for .40 second repeat hits, when I can crack .20 second for repeat hits with a load that is similirly shocking and destuctive.
glug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09   #99
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


Quote:
Originally posted by 10mm4ever
So..."handguns are not fightstoppers"?Just another blanket statement from the "pro",eh?;Q Some are more effective fightstoppers than others,all things being equal,such as shot placement.Some are even very effective with mediocre shot placement.Also you state"we carry them because they're convenient and handy",sounds more like a condom to me.;Q
Ok so your saying that a marginal hit with a 10mm is better than a good hit with a 9mm. Thats BS. A 22 to the eye is better than a 10mm hit to the arm. As for pros most pros know that handguns are weak by their nature. Their is not much difference between the hottests service pistols loads to the more weaker ones. No handgun round is very effective at stopping people. There are people that have taken round after round of 357 mag and 45 rounds and still kept comming. Heck some have even kept comming after taking shotgun and rifle rounds. As Clint Smith has said handguns are their to fight your way back to your rifle. Your points of view can only come from someone who is ignorant of the realities of actual gun fights. Most experts in the wound ballistics area agree that most service rounds are simular in actual terminal performance and that shot placement is far more critial than caliber selection. Do yourself a favor and get some training.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28   #100
glug
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 144
The 10mm to the arm can shatter the bone

and that can be very debilitating, indeed. The luck hit to his arm is the only thing that stopped Platt from killing all 8 of the Feds with his Mini-14 that day in Miami. So it depends upon what you claim is "marginal" hit. The 10mm jhp to the gut will be a LOT more likely to stop a man than a 9mm ball rd to the lung, for instance. It just has a lot more pain, shock, and so on for the guy to try to overcome with his adrenalin. Not everyone has the same level of desperation-adrenalin as the worst case scenarios.
glug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 20:39.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,563
486 Members
1,077 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42