Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2014, 20:56   #1
BengalBacker

10mm ammo, G20

Just won a gunbroker auction for a G20 Gen4 FDE (woohoo).

This is my first 10mm. I just ordered 50 rounds of this:

[url]http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/10mm-defense/pmc-10mm-170gr.-jhp-25rds-10b/115-889[/url]

just so I have something at least hollow point for defense, and 250 rounds of this:

[url]http://www.laxammo.com/ammunition/handgun-new/lax-ammunition-factory-new-10mm-180gr.-250rds/25-87[/url]

just for target shooting.

I'm sure neither of these are great choices but hopefully will be good enough for a little range time to get used to the gun.

Any recommendations for future purchases?

Last edited by BengalBacker; 07-23-2014 at 00:01..
BengalBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 21:01   #2
BengalBacker

hmmm... Not sure why those don't show as clickable links, am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-20-2014, 21:44   #3
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Take the brackets and "URL" off the links and it works. Or just control+V and directly paste the link in the reply box.

Did you get the FDE frame or the entire gun FDE, I saw some of those on GunBroker the other day.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 07-20-2014 at 21:46..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 22:08   #4
uncle_lawrence

I would recommend Underwood ammo, excellent high power at a reasonable price.
uncle_lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 22:13   #5
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalBacker View Post
...Any recommendations for future purchases?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...0_Basic_Loader
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 22:25   #6
fredj338

Not a lot of good factory 10mm jhp. Double tap, underwood, Hornady & Winchester 175gr stop, I you can find them.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-20-2014 at 22:25..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 22:34   #7
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
This. It don't take long to pay for itself. Roll your own.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 22:39   #8
BengalBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post
Take the brackets and "URL" off the links and it works. Or just control+V and directly paste the link in the reply box.

Did you get the FDE frame or the entire gun FDE, I saw some of those on GunBroker the other day.
Thanks, I think I did just paste it. I'll figure it out.

I got the FDE frame. I don't care for those full FDEs.
Old 07-20-2014, 22:41   #9
BengalBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_lawrence View Post

Thanks, I've seen others who say they like Underwood.
Old 07-20-2014, 22:42   #10
BengalBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
[URL]http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25792/catid/1/BL_550_Basic_Loader[/URL]

While I'd like to have the knowledge, ability and equipment for that, I just don't have enough hours in the day to roll my own.
Old 07-20-2014, 22:45   #11
BengalBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Not a lot of good factory 10mm jhp. Double tap, underwood, Hornady & Winchester 175gr stop, I you can find them.

Thanks. (making a list)
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03   #12
Elmer Skelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_lawrence View Post
I recommend loading your own or buy ammo from the big manufacturers like federal, spear, hornady, ect and leave the Underwood stuff to the 10mm fanbois who can't take the time to learn to reload. Underwood ammo is loaded too hot, they're just asking for trouble loading it so hot. If you want hot loads then load your own and work your way up instead of paying for underwoods over pressure handloads.
Elmer Skelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:13   #13
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Skelton View Post
I recommend loading your own or buy ammo from the big manufacturers like federal, spear, hornady, ect and leave the Underwood stuff to the 10mm fanbois who can't take the time to learn to reload. Underwood ammo is loaded too hot, they're just asking for trouble loading it so hot. If you want hot loads then load your own and work your way up instead of paying for underwoods over pressure handloads.
Some of their HP ammo uses bullets intended for 40SW and cannot handle full 10mm velocities.

Gold Dots over expand and full 10mm velocities.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:47   #14
fredj338

Quote:
While I'd like to have the knowledge, ability and equipment for that, I just don't have enough hours in the day to roll my own.
You actually do have the time. For $300, you get a Lee Classic Turret setup, 150rds/hr cruising speed. Everyone can find an hour a week to do anything if they just look. You can shoot full power 10mm for less cost than cheap factory 9mm. At the end of your 500rds of factory 10mm, you have nothing but empty cases, like throwing 1/2 dollars down range. If you save $10 per 50, easily done, then that is $30/hr net, $50/hr gross. So unless yo umake $50/hr, you will be $$ ahead. Reloading pays for itself very quickly.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 07-21-2014 at 12:48..
Old 07-22-2014, 01:59   #15
BengalBacker

Quote:
You actually do have the time. For $300, you get a Lee Classic Turret setup, 150rds/hr cruising speed. Everyone can find an hour a week to do anything if they just look. You can shoot full power 10mm for less cost than cheap factory 9mm. At the end of your 500rds of factory 10mm, you have nothing but empty cases, like throwing 1/2 dollars down range. If you save $10 per 50, easily done, then that is $30/hr net, $50/hr gross. So unless yo umake $50/hr, you will be $$ ahead. Reloading pays for itself very quickly.
I'm sure you're right, but I lack confidence in my competence.

I'm also not really a tinkerer at heart, it would be work for me. Someday I might have a change of heart and give it a shot, but for now I'd rather buy from a manufacturer, but thanks for the suggestion and the info. Like I said, maybe some day.
Old 07-22-2014, 13:24   #16
fredj338

Quote:
I'm sure you're right, but I lack confidence in my competence.

I'm also not really a tinkerer at heart, it would be work for me. Someday I might have a change of heart and give it a shot, but for now I'd rather buy from a manufacturer, but thanks for the suggestion and the info. Like I said, maybe some day.
I am always trying to get guys to reload. In specialty calibers like the magnums & 10mm, you save a lot over factory. I can load a Double Tap 200gr FP equiv for $8-$10/50. So $8-10$ or $47, easy choice for me.
Skill level, you just need to be able to pay attention & follow directions. Most can do that, true some can't, & they are better NOT reloading.
I started 40yrs ago because feeding my 357mag & then 44mag was way too expensive not to reload. Today, I make a lot more $$, but ammo cost a lot more too. The ability to tailor loads to your specs is just as important as cost. Shooting full house 44mags or even 10mm gets to be work for more than 20-30 rds. So being able to take some off the top for practice, priceless.

Last edited by fredj338; 07-22-2014 at 13:30..
Old 07-22-2014, 17:26   #17
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
I am always trying to get guys to reload. In specialty calibers like the magnums & 10mm, you save a lot over factory. I can load a Double Tap 200gr FP equiv for $8-$10/50. So $8-10$ or $47, easy choice for me.
Skill level, you just need to be able to pay attention & follow directions. Most can do that, true some can't, & they are better NOT reloading.
I started 40yrs ago because feeding my 357mag & then 44mag was way too expensive not to reload. Today, I make a lot more $$, but ammo cost a lot more too. The ability to tailor loads to your specs is just as important as cost. Shooting full house 44mags or even 10mm gets to be work for more than 20-30 rds. So being able to take some off the top for practice, priceless.
Great post! I'd like to add something I saw on castboolits the other day.

Quote:
In the shooting world, you kind of have a hierarchy and it goes something like this:

--Gun owners. They own a gun for whatever reason, but rarely if ever bother to shoot or practice with it. But it makes them feel better/safer for having it.

--Casual gun owner & shooter. They own more than one gun, usually, and make a point to shoot at least once a year, often times more. They're generally safe and careful with their firearm, but have extremely limited knowledge as to how it functions, how ammo functions, etc. A lot of hunters fall into this category as well as suburbanites who keep a firearm in the house for protection, but who realize the need to stay reasonably proficient with it.

--The serious gun owner. This person owns a number of guns, takes pride in his or her collection, knows the brand and make of each gun in their possession, keeps adequate ammunition for their firearms and enjoys shooting and is generally quite competent and proficient.

--The reloader. This is the Serious Gun Owner who shoots very often or with great enough frequency that the economics and supply/demand qualities of reloading make it a no-brainer. Lots of competition shooters fall into this category and most prefer progressive presses that can churn out lots of ammo in a short period of time. Once they find a good load, they (usually) stop there and crank out ammo by the hundreds, if not the thousands. Very knowledgeable, very safe, very competent and proficient shooters and gun-owners.

--The Handloader. The Handloader is often the Serious Gun Owner who has graduated at the reloading bench from a basic undergrad degree in assembling his or her own ammunition and is now embarked on a graduate-level quest for creating customized ammunition for each firearm they own. Sometimes they develop ammo for specific situations for each firearm, such as cold-weather loads, high-altitude loads, strong wind/crosswind loads, large specimen (or small specimen) of the same game animal loads. The Handloader lives at the apex of the shooting world.

--The Bullet Caster. The Bullet Caster shares the apex of the shooting world with the Handloader and the benchrest shooter. All are looking for optimum performance and results after each pull of the trigger. To these people, it is a whole and complete package--the gun, the ammo, the shooting. Some cast their own bullets thinking that it will save them money--when in reality, it allows them to shoot MORE for the same amount of money. Some have thousands of dollars invested in molds and furnaces and lubesizers; others have less than a dead Ben Franklin. But all view themselves as craftsmen, as artists of a sort because we are creating our own projectiles to go in our own seemingly unrelated array of components of brass and primers and powders. In this world micrometers and calipers and neck-turning and annealing and chamfering and case-trimming are but a drop in the proverbial water-quenching bucket in terms of tools and techniques used to create the ultimate cartridge.
1st post: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...an-others-here
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 18:53   #18
Tiro Fijo

Angry Fist, I agree with that list. There are perhaps two "tiers" above even those: Benchrest shooters who reload and those who shoot BPCR (Black Powder Ctg. Rifle). Those both require an obsession.

Last edited by Tiro Fijo; 07-23-2014 at 00:40..
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 19:22   #19
fredj338

I would probably add under serious gun owner as one that shoots competitively. Nothing brings out a reloader like needing 1000s or rounds a month for practice & competition. You don't get a lot better sitting home & dry firing, you eventually have to put rounds on paper to see where you are at.
Old 07-23-2014, 00:15   #20
BengalBacker

Two years ago I was this:

--Gun owners. They own a gun for whatever reason, but rarely if ever bother to shoot or practice with it. But it makes them feel better/safer for having it.

After Sandy Hookwhen it started looking like they want to take away our 2A rights, my wife and I became this:

--The serious gun owner. This person owns a number of guns, takes pride in his or her collection, knows the brand and make of each gun in their possession, keeps adequate ammunition for their firearms and enjoys shooting and is generally quite competent and proficient.

We've both grown to love shooting and try to go every weekend to the range that we joined. We got our CCW licenses and have bought quite a few firearms, handguns and rifles, and are pretty well stocked in ammo. It's become a passion for us.