GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 15:52   #1
Jaykwish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 357
Sheriff's office requires .40?

So my girlfriend just started her new job at the sheriff's department here where we live. She was told she could use her .45 she uses for her other police job for the sheriff's dept but after some research her deputy sheriff said she was only allowed to have a .40. What is the reason behind this? All the deputies don't have the same gun so it's not mag interchangeability. Also I do to think its so the deputies could share ammo in case of a shoot out because they all have AR's. I'm just wondering what you all think the reason could be for this rule.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:39   #2
Roughedgekid
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 264
Does the department furnish the ammo? Most departments want to issue one ammo for everyone.
__________________
The man that dies with the most stuff wins.
Roughedgekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:40   #3
fortheboys
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: new jersey
Posts: 576
Did she ask why? Could just be SOP.
fortheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:40   #4
Jaykwish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 357
Yes they do Federal HST and she def asked why she didn't want to have to buy a new gun haha

Last edited by Jaykwish; 01-02-2014 at 16:42..
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 18:46   #5
oldman11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,267
The biggest reason is a misinformed boss. He or she probably can't handle a 45, so they just assume no one else can either.
__________________
Travel light and come well balanced.
oldman11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 18:54   #6
Jaykwish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
The biggest reason is a misinformed boss. He or she probably can't handle a 45, so they just assume no one else can either.
Idk her boss is a 20 yr retired state trooper but that could be a possibility
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:00   #7
Dave514
Senior Member
 
Dave514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USSA
Posts: 5,132
45s tear off the limbs of people they fly by. 10mm will cause things they pass by to burst into flames.

9mm just stuns them.

.40 is like baby bear's porridge. Just Right!
__________________
A "fantastic claim" that is "hard to believe" because "no human has been convincing enough" should not be described as "reasonably possible". That's contradictory. Not to be confused with correlative, causitive or coincidence.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:00   #8
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 9,955
My dept mandates .40 for duty use and requires we carry the issued P226. I personally think it is dumb to tell and officer which gun he carries onto the street.

Off duty and BUG we can carry anything .380 or better, but we still have to qualify with it.

Its nothing unusual.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:03   #9
fran m
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: drexel hill pa
Posts: 1,272
So the Sheriff told her she could use her own, privately owned gun and then said "No".

Are other deputies using .45s? Privately owned or department issued?

Weird situation but the answer lies with her finding out from the sheriff.
No one here can really give a definitive answer.

Last edited by fran m; 01-02-2014 at 19:05..
fran m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:05   #10
Jaykwish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran m View Post
So the Sheriff told her she could use her own gun and then said "No".

Are other deputies using .45s? Privately owned or department issued?

Weird situation but the answer lies with her finding out from the sheriff.
No the deputy sheriff was not aware that only .40 cal handguns were permitted but when she found out she told my gf that she had to use .40 like everyone else.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31   #11
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I personally think it is dumb to tell and officer which gun he carries onto the street.

Can you imagine if the NYPD allowed anyone to carry anything they wanted? I can certainly understand why departments mandate things.
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42   #12
gatorboy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,916
Two of my cousins are Deputies in the same county. They can carry 9mm or 40 but the pistol must be a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 23. They issue GD's in both calibers.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:24   #13
collim1
Shower Time!
 
collim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 9,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Can you imagine if the NYPD allowed anyone to carry anything they wanted? I can certainly understand why departments mandate things.
Still disagree. You can have guidelines, but everyone working the street deserves a gun they are comfortable with, and I am pretty certain that NYPD allows officers to carry a P226, Smith auto, or Glock on duty. Sure better than sticking to one gun.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:29   #14
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Still disagree. You can have guidelines, but everyone working the street deserves a gun they are comfortable with, and I am pretty certain that NYPD allows officers to carry a P226, Smith auto, or Glock on duty. Sure better than sticking to one gun.



Most LEO's are not "gun" people and have no more idea than the Man on the Moon what to use. Besides, the gun is just the means of "delivery". The ammo used is more important.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:33   #15
mjw357
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 209
Well, she is just gonna have to buy a S.A. EMP in .40S&W.
__________________
Glock 27 Gen 4
mjw357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:58   #16
Jaykwish
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
Well, she is just gonna have to buy a S.A. EMP in .40S&W.
She would like that she carries a kimber tle now for her duty weapon.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:02   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 27,359
When in doubt around legal issues and a bureaucracy, just assume lawyers. More often than not, you will be correct.
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:17   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
So my girlfriend just started her new job at the sheriff's department here where we live. She was told she could use her .45 she uses for her other police job for the sheriff's dept but after some research her deputy sheriff said she was only allowed to have a .40. What is the reason behind this? All the deputies don't have the same gun so it's not mag interchangeability. Also I do to think its so the deputies could share ammo in case of a shoot out because they all have AR's. I'm just wondering what you all think the reason could be for this rule.
It is usually because the department provides training and qualification ammo and it is cheapest to buy 1 caliber. Also, for liability reasons, they may want control over what officers carry - you don't want a deputy blowing some small town off the map with a 10mm.

Some people in this thread have some strange ideas about law enforcement and firearms.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.

Last edited by Bren; 01-03-2014 at 19:19..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:20   #19
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
The biggest reason is a misinformed boss. He or she probably can't handle a 45, so they just assume no one else can either.
No, that isn't the biggest reason or, usually, a reason at all. You've worked for a lot of law enforcement agencies?
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:07   #20
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog
 
MrMurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Buried in the X-files
Posts: 31,635
They buy your ammo, they dictate what you use.

One of the SO's around me allows 9mm, .40, .45 or .357 SIG but they're fairly enlightened.

Storing enough training ammo in six calibers (including 5.56 and 12 ga) isn't exactly a minor thing, when you open up an ammo locker with 20,000 rounds per caliber.

Nothing wrong with .40. If she likes 1911s, the M&P full size with thumb safety in .40 will feel fairly similar (a lot of 1911 guys like it with the large backstrap).
__________________
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:36   #21
M1fuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Most LEO's are not "gun" people and have no more idea than the Man on the Moon what to use. Besides, the gun is just the means of "delivery". The ammo used is more important.
I disagree. My thought is this. Even if the officer is "not a gun person" would you not want them have one they feel most comfortable with and shoot well.

Also, one size does not fit all. I wish we had a choice but, we don't. Still working on it.
M1fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 21:42   #22
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fuzz View Post
I disagree. My thought is this. Even if the officer is "not a gun person" would you not want them have one they feel most comfortable with and shoot well...



No, if they are not "gun" people then they should look for another line of work and making them miserable is a sure way of getting them to reconsider their choice of careers.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:04   #23
M1fuzz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
Wow. With that bit of genius if a cop is not a car person he should find another line of work. Not really a taser person find another line of work. Etc... Etc... Etc....
M1fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48   #24
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
BuckyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 8,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Can you imagine if the NYPD allowed anyone to carry anything they wanted? I can certainly understand why departments mandate things.
Fortunately they allow some options. Although I love my G17, I hate the G19. Also, a GLOCK with an abnormally heavy trigger is awful IMO. If I were in that situation, I'd choose the optional Sig P226 DAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
Well, she is just gonna have to buy a S.A. EMP in .40S&W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
She would like that she carries a kimber tle now for her duty weapon.
As a duty gun, she'd be better off picking up a traditional .40 1911. STI and Kimber both offer models. That way she can use the same holster, mag pouches etc. The EMP will not work with her current gear.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05   #25
Aux Bear
Senior Member
 
Aux Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SW Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 429
Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
I'm an Aux. Dep. Sheriff and we all (Staff & Aux.) have to carry the G22. No alternatives. Bug and off duty we can carry anything we qual. with. Pretty common around N IL.
__________________
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Police Firearms Instructor
Certified IL CCW Instructor
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 21:07.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,409
410 Members
999 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42