Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2014, 15:52   #1
Jaykwish

Sheriff's office requires .40?

So my girlfriend just started her new job at the sheriff's department here where we live. She was told she could use her .45 she uses for her other police job for the sheriff's dept but after some research her deputy sheriff said she was only allowed to have a .40. What is the reason behind this? All the deputies don't have the same gun so it's not mag interchangeability. Also I do to think its so the deputies could share ammo in case of a shoot out because they all have AR's. I'm just wondering what you all think the reason could be for this rule.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:39   #2
Roughedgekid
Old Fart

Does the department furnish the ammo? Most departments want to issue one ammo for everyone.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:40   #3
fortheboys

Did she ask why? Could just be SOP.
fortheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 16:40   #4
Jaykwish

Yes they do Federal HST and she def asked why she didn't want to have to buy a new gun haha

Last edited by Jaykwish; 01-02-2014 at 16:42..
Old 01-02-2014, 18:46   #5
oldman11

The biggest reason is a misinformed boss. He or she probably can't handle a 45, so they just assume no one else can either.
Old 01-02-2014, 18:54   #6
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
The biggest reason is a misinformed boss. He or she probably can't handle a 45, so they just assume no one else can either.
Idk her boss is a 20 yr retired state trooper but that could be a possibility
Old 01-02-2014, 19:00   #7
Dave514

45s tear off the limbs of people they fly by. 10mm will cause things they pass by to burst into flames.

9mm just stuns them.

.40 is like baby bear's porridge. Just Right!
A "fantastic claim" that is "hard to believe" because "no human has been convincing enough" should not be described as "reasonably possible". That's contradictory. Not to be confused with correlative, causitive or coincidence.
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:00   #8
collim1
Shower Time!

My dept mandates .40 for duty use and requires we carry the issued P226. I personally think it is dumb to tell and officer which gun he carries onto the street.

Off duty and BUG we can carry anything .380 or better, but we still have to qualify with it.

Its nothing unusual.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:03   #9
fran m

So the Sheriff told her she could use her own, privately owned gun and then said "No".

Are other deputies using .45s? Privately owned or department issued?

Weird situation but the answer lies with her finding out from the sheriff.
No one here can really give a definitive answer.

Last edited by fran m; 01-02-2014 at 19:05..
fran m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 19:05   #10
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran m View Post
So the Sheriff told her she could use her own gun and then said "No".

Are other deputies using .45s? Privately owned or department issued?

Weird situation but the answer lies with her finding out from the sheriff.
No the deputy sheriff was not aware that only .40 cal handguns were permitted but when she found out she told my gf that she had to use .40 like everyone else.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31   #11
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I personally think it is dumb to tell and officer which gun he carries onto the street.

Can you imagine if the NYPD allowed anyone to carry anything they wanted? I can certainly understand why departments mandate things.
cowboy1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:42   #12
gatorboy

Two of my cousins are Deputies in the same county. They can carry 9mm or 40 but the pistol must be a Glock 17, 19, 22 or 23. They issue GD's in both calibers.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 16:24   #13
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Can you imagine if the NYPD allowed anyone to carry anything they wanted? I can certainly understand why departments mandate things.
Still disagree. You can have guidelines, but everyone working the street deserves a gun they are comfortable with, and I am pretty certain that NYPD allows officers to carry a P226, Smith auto, or Glock on duty. Sure better than sticking to one gun.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:29   #14
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Still disagree. You can have guidelines, but everyone working the street deserves a gun they are comfortable with, and I am pretty certain that NYPD allows officers to carry a P226, Smith auto, or Glock on duty. Sure better than sticking to one gun.

Most LEO's are not "gun" people and have no more idea than the Man on the Moon what to use. Besides, the gun is just the means of "delivery". The ammo used is more important.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 17:33   #15
mjw357

Well, she is just gonna have to buy a S.A. EMP in .40S&W.
Old 01-03-2014, 17:58   #16
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
She would like that she carries a kimber tle now for her duty weapon.
Old 01-03-2014, 19:02   #17
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

When in doubt around legal issues and a bureaucracy, just assume lawyers. More often than not, you will be correct.
Old 01-03-2014, 19:17   #18
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
So my girlfriend just started her new job at the sheriff's department here where we live. She was told she could use her .45 she uses for her other police job for the sheriff's dept but after some research her deputy sheriff said she was only allowed to have a .40. What is the reason behind this? All the deputies don't have the same gun so it's not mag interchangeability. Also I do to think its so the deputies could share ammo in case of a shoot out because they all have AR's. I'm just wondering what you all think the reason could be for this rule.
It is usually because the department provides training and qualification ammo and it is cheapest to buy 1 caliber. Also, for liability reasons, they may want control over what officers carry - you don't want a deputy blowing some small town off the map with a 10mm.

Some people in this thread have some strange ideas about law enforcement and firearms.

Last edited by Bren; 01-03-2014 at 19:19..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:20   #19
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
No, that isn't the biggest reason or, usually, a reason at all. You've worked for a lot of law enforcement agencies?
Old 01-03-2014, 20:07   #20
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

They buy your ammo, they dictate what you use.

One of the SO's around me allows 9mm, .40, .45 or .357 SIG but they're fairly enlightened.

Storing enough training ammo in six calibers (including 5.56 and 12 ga) isn't exactly a minor thing, when you open up an ammo locker with 20,000 rounds per caliber.

Nothing wrong with .40. If she likes 1911s, the M&P full size with thumb safety in .40 will feel fairly similar (a lot of 1911 guys like it with the large backstrap).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:36   #21
M1fuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Most LEO's are not "gun" people and have no more idea than the Man on the Moon what to use. Besides, the gun is just the means of "delivery". The ammo used is more important.
I disagree. My thought is this. Even if the officer is "not a gun person" would you not want them have one they feel most comfortable with and shoot well.

Also, one size does not fit all. I wish we had a choice but, we don't. Still working on it.
M1fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 21:42   #22
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1fuzz View Post
I disagree. My thought is this. Even if the officer is "not a gun person" would you not want them have one they feel most comfortable with and shoot well...

No, if they are not "gun" people then they should look for another line of work and making them miserable is a sure way of getting them to reconsider their choice of careers.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:04   #23
M1fuzz

Wow. With that bit of genius if a cop is not a car person he should find another line of work. Not really a taser person find another line of work. Etc... Etc... Etc....
M1fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48   #24
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
Fortunately they allow some options. Although I love my G17, I hate the G19. Also, a GLOCK with an abnormally heavy trigger is awful IMO. If I were in that situation, I'd choose the optional Sig P226 DAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
She would like that she carries a kimber tle now for her duty weapon.
As a duty gun, she'd be better off picking up a traditional .40 1911. STI and Kimber both offer models. That way she can use the same holster, mag pouches etc. The EMP will not work with her current gear.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:05   #25
Aux Bear

Send a message via ICQ to Aux Bear
I'm an Aux. Dep. Sheriff and we all (Staff & Aux.) have to carry the G22. No alternatives. Bug and off duty we can carry anything we qual. with. Pretty common around N IL.
Aux Bear is offline   Reply With Quote