Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2014, 22:21   #1
MacDonald

AR-15 for varmint hunting???

In November 2014 I purchased an AR-15 DPMS Oracle, their introductory weapon to the AR format. I live in a condo, so knew in advance that I would not be using it for home defense.

Since the AR uses a FMJ bullet, I thought it would be good to hunt varmint/coyotes. But, today I was at a local gun store and the assistant manager told me that platform would leave little of any critter I shot.

Is that true with a FMJ? In college I would hunt with a 6MM and/or .270 and am familiar with the remains of an expanding bullet, so I thought the AR was would be good for small game.

Have I deceived myself and wasted money?

Last edited by MacDonald; 12-28-2014 at 22:23..
MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 22:57   #2
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

FMJ will give you nice pass-through on a few varmints. Others, you will see gaping hole.

Find a predator forum and you will see .223 a popular cartage for most varmints.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:20   #3
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

About 40 years ago when most of the civilian .223 rifles were bolt action models, we all considered it to be a good varmint caliber.

I don't know why anyone shooting varmints would be concerned about having anything left. We used to like the fact that we pretty much exploded our ground hogs. The 22-250 and the 220 swift were the big bad varmint calibers & still are as far as I'm concerned, but a .223 was more than OK.

It's your choice of the rifle, not the caliber that I'd question if a varmint rifle is really what you want. Well built bolt action rifles really do have an accuracy advantage, and that's why military snipers don't do that job with an AR.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44   #4
billy b

I have shot quite a few coyotes & lots of groundhogs with AR15's. I use nosler ballistic tips. sometimes it makes big holes sometimes it doesn"t. fmj bullets go through & don"t make a big wound channel. for hunting I would use expanding bullelts. as the range increases, 223 is marginal as far as stopping power goes.
billy b is offline   Reply With Quote