Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2005, 23:37   #1
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
Back your data up folks!

Well, the thing I've always feared happened. Dataloss on the drive that actually has important ****. Didn't lose the whole drive, but I lost alot of **** that I didn't need to lose. I'm talking this is the kind of **** that is really making me think about finding a few hundred bucks to a few grand to spot data recovery.

This is the quote from DriveSavers

Quote:
DRIVESAVERS - DATA RECOVERY ESTIMATE

To: Jason Gillman, Jr.
Date: 4/21/2005
Thank you for inquiring about data recovery with DriveSavers.

DriveSavers has specialized in recovering lost data since 1985 and has a better than 90% success rate. Our engineers recover data in as little as 24 hours from all operating systems and rotating media including hard drives, NAS, SAN and RAID systems, tape, cartridges, floppies, CD, DVD, flash memory and digital film. DriveSavers is authorized by all hard drive manufacturers to open sealed drive mechanisms without voiding the original warranty.

For further information about DriveSavers, please visit our web site at http://www.drivesavers.com.

Our pricing is based on the drive capacity, the operating system, and the complexity of the recovery. DriveSavers will never exceed the maximum amount quoted.

The estimate to recover data from the 160GB hard drive you described is:

* Standard 1-2 Business Day Service: $900-3900.

* Economy 5-7 Business Day Service: $500-2700.

There is a $200.00 attempt fee if the data is not recoverable.

* Priority Round-the-Clock/Weekend Service: $1800-8900, with a $800.00 attempt fee.
A special 10% discount will be applied to your final recovery cost. This discount does not apply to the attempt fee or to any backup media you may purchase.
Recovered data can be put on the media of your choice such as a replacement drive, CD, DVD, DAT tape, magneto-optical or removable media cartridges and floppies.

To start the data recovery process please call DriveSavers at 800-440-1904 to obtain a Job Number & Shipping instructions.

--

Jeanne Harris
Data Recovery Advisor
What sucks is I was debating on backing up that drive last night or waiting till my next re-os. I shouldn't have been a cheap **** and burned the extra DVD or 3. **** **** ****. My backup of that drive is dated Dec. 28th of 04. That's missing alot of **** I've engineered since then, as well as a bunch of logs I'd like to keep. ;u
Sinister Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:19   #2
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

USB/Firewire external disk drives are your friend.
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:31   #3
Angel Of Death
Wrenches/BMWs

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby_w
My Iomega 120gig fire/usb2 is my friend!
Angel Of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:43   #4
Roger C

Quote:
100% agree. After using Zip drives, etc. for years, I now use a Maxtor One-touch drive. Much easier, reliable, simpler. And the things just keep getting bigger, faster and cheaper all at the same time.
Roger C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 23:18   #5
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
+ FREAKIN' 1!!!!!!!

These are absolutely not pieces of optional equipment today.

Just like Uninterruptible Power Supplies, USB2 HDD's are vital to anyone who owns a PC worth more than $200.

Just good, solid, CHEAP insurance against the inevitable.

Hope it works out for you, SA!!
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 00:10   #6
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Send a message via AIM to Sinister Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Sinister Angel
An external HD is nice, but with this (seemingly anyway) random dataloss, I'm nervous to backup data to another HD. I like optical media for the fact that it's pretty hard to thrash the data on them. That being said, an external HD is better than nothing.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:59   #7
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

Quote:
An external HD is nice, but with this (seemingly anyway) random dataloss, I'm nervous to backup data to another HD. I like optical media for the fact that it's pretty hard to thrash the data on them. That being said, an external HD is better than nothing.
True that optical is a good choice to use, either CD or DVD, but...

You did not use either one in this case. An attached drive would have saved your skin and some skins $$$ in this case by a simple drag and drop without having to go to the trouble of getting an optcal disk from the cabinet, loading it in, launching your copy application, running it, selecting your files, copying them, ejecting the disk, labeling it and finally storing it safely away.

Hope the drive salvagers rescue your files in any case. I have had to use them for clients and they were worth every penney in most cases. Paying $800 dollars to rescue a million dollars worth of data was a good ROI in one of the cases.
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 21:45   #8
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

Hope this isn't too late, and just *maybe*.... (several part post)

Quote:
Well, the thing I've always feared happened. Dataloss on the drive that actually has important ****. Didn't lose the whole drive, but I lost alot of **** that I didn't need to lose. I'm talking this is the kind of **** that is really making me think about finding a few hundred bucks to a few grand to spot data recovery.
This one is shown as for win98, but it might be applicable to XP:
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils4.html
Quote:
Recover32 (win98) disk sectors recovery:
Hit by a virus? Formatted hard disk by mistake? Deleted files but can't undelete them? No problem, as long as you remember some "keywords" (any bytes sequences) which was appearing in your files, and you didn't overwrite associated disk sectors with other files. (examples: you had an address book which contained string "myfriend @ hisserver.net", or you had a bookmark file which contained string "www.xxx.com / y.htm", etc).
Depending on the type of your disk, you can download one of my two utilities. Recov for FAT16 disks (DOS and windows 95) or Recov32 for FAT32 disks (windows 98). First run a disk editor (like winhex) to locate sectors where your files resided. In case you have FAT16 disk and use my recov utility, you must use "logical disks" option. In case you have FAT32 disk and use my recov32 utility, you must use "physical disks" option. Remember the sector, and discard offset information. Then run my disk sectors recovery. Just type its exe filename in the DOS prompt, and the instructions (proper arguments syntax) will appear. Few more hints. ZIP files can be recognized by string "PK" & chr(3) & chr(4), that's bytes sequence 504B0304hex. ARJ files can be recognized by their actual filenames in the header, like MYFILE.ARJ string. Recov.zip (Win95 FAT16) ~4Kb
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/fil.htm
Quote:
Drive Rescue -- Alexander Grau
Version: 1.9d Dated: 30 June, 2002 Terms: Freeware
Language: English Windows Ver: 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / 2000 / XP

Description: Drive Rescue is a program for exploring your hard disk, and locating lost files on it. The idea for this program originated from processing a disk with Scandisk--which suddenly contained no data. Since off-the-shelf Windows methods could not recover any of it, this program was successfully created, to find important information of the file system, to look for lost data and to restore it. Download: (Direct Download) (driverescue19d.zip) (984 Kb) Additional: Install: No Uninstall: No Inducted In: 2002 / 2003 / 2004
Notes: Version listed is the last available Freeware version.
Quote:
SectorSpy v2.1

Examine all text data on a hard drive or diskette, at the sector level! Use SectorSpyXP/98 forensically to find and retrieve incriminating evidence! Append text information evidence to a text file. SectorSpyXP/98 will not write any information to the media, avoiding contamination! You can override this with a key. Retrieve lost text information that has been deleted and removed from the recycle bin, like e-mails, Word documents, notepad and WordPad documents, Excel spreadsheets, database text data, and any text data that has been written to the hard drive, and not yet overwritten by the operating system! Search for a list of keywords! Navigate the sectors with the mouse or keyboard! Supports the following file systems: FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and diskettes. SectorSpyXP/98 is 100% free. Pass it around. Runs on Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP operating systems.
Quote:
Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier
This program is great for recovering files from scratched CD's or defective floppy/hard disks. Normally when your computer is unable to copy a file from a damaged disk it will abort and delete the portition of the file it has copied. This program however will continue to copy the file right to the end. Any data that is not recoverable after many retries is replaced with blanks. This will allow you to truely recover every byte of information that is available for recovery
same pricelessware page
Quote:
PC Inspector File Recovery CONVAR
Version: 3.0
Dated: 07 February, 2003
Terms: Freeware
Language: Multiple languages supported
Windows Ver: 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / 2000 / XP

Description: PC INSPECTOR File Recovery is a data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. Finds partitions automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or damaged (does not work with the NTFS file system). Recovers files with the original time and date stamp. Supports the saving of recovered files on network drives. Recovers files, even when a header entry is no longer available.
Download: [ Go to download page ] (pci_filerecovery.exe) (3.79 Mb)
Additional: Install: No Uninstall: No
Inducted In: 2003 / 2004
Notes: The software must be installed and run on a second, independent drive.
Quote:
QuickPar Peter B. Clements
Version: 0.9.1
Dated: 04 July, 2004
Language: Multiple languages supported

Description: QuickPar is a utility for creating Parity Volumes using the Reed Solomon algorithm. For details of the algorithm used, see the parchive website at SourceForge. Parity Volumes may be used to verify that a set of files have not been corrupted, or to reconstruct damaged files (providing that you have a sufficient quantity of Parity Volumes to match the missing or damaged files). QuickPar uses the PAR v2.0 specification.
Download: [ Go to download page ] (QuickPar-0.9.1.0.exe) (490 Kb)
Additional: Install: Yes Uninstall: Yes
Inducted In: 2004
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils3.html
Quote:
Handy Recovery
is an easy to use program designed to restore files accidentally deleted from a hard disk or a diskette. The program can recover files damaged by virus attacks, power failures and software faults. If some program does not use Recycle Bin when deleting files, Handy Recovery can restore such files. It can also recover files moved to Recycle Bin after it has been emptied. With Handy Recovery you can browse the content of your disk like you do it in Windows Explorer. The only difference is that you see deleted files and folders along with the regular ones. Deleted files are marked with special icons. This helps you easily find the file that you need to recover. Recovered files can be saved to any disks accessible on your system. You can also restore the full branch of folders tree containing selected files and folders. Along with the main file data, the program can recover alternative data streams which are used on NTFS file system to store additional information about files. Handy Recovery works under Win 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003 operating systems. The program supports all Windows file systems for hard and floppy drives including FAT12/16/32 and NTFS/NTFS 5. Even Twocows thinks it is freeware HERE
May be not applicable, but I figured I'd include it just in case....
Quote:
Hard Drive ScanDisk Pro finds and fixes any errors on your hard drive, including cluster, physical, and file location errors. It can scan and fix errors on any drive on your system.
Maybe this would help 'inventory' what's left, etc., assuming anything 'is'
Quote:
MaxLister lists the entire content of a drive into a single file. This is especially useful if you have a large collection of cd-ROMS to keep track of. You can at a later time browse the file (in Explorer-like layout) or search for a specific file. MaxLister can also save the drive into a plain text file, for easy viewing and sharing.
Quote:
sorry, I guess I'm spamming you with any potential remedies...
Media Test

A program which will test your hard drive. It does a non-destructive surface scan to find out if you have physical or logical problems with your hard drive. This allows you to determine the best means of recovery. You will also know where the damage is on the drive. The program gives you a choice to test the drive through the BIOS or directly through the controller by using the mt/d command (media test direct). Media Test will allow you test the contoller as well. The program gives you that option so you can test drives larger than 8.4 gigs or if the BIOS does not even recognize the drive is there. This program provides a quick effective method of determining the status of your drive. Works with all drives: IDE, SCSI. Media Test also tests floppies,zip drives,virtually any type of media. Single DOS disk. Quick, effective drive evaluation tool.
The sovernet Son of Spy site had an avert box, with these in it:
Quote:
Sponsored Links

File Recovery Software
Win95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, Linux Download and try Free Demo
www.r-tt.com

Recover lost files
Get PC Magazine’s highest-rated undelete utility for only $39
www.winternals.com

File Recovery Software
Crashed Hard Drive? Virus? Spyware? Easy to use boot CD for PC or Mac
www.prosofteng.com

Active@ UNDELETE 5.1 New
Data Recovery Software. NTFS FAT32. Windows XP 2000 98 2003. Free Trial
www.Active-Undelete.com

File Recovery NT/2000/XP
Deleted files, emptied Recycle Bin Corrupted or formatted drives
www.quetek.com

Drive Recovery
Fast Drive Recovery 24/7 Free Estimate (800)233-3648

www.ainetworks.com

Hard Drive Data Recovery
Free Evaluation
, Quick Turnaround Upfront Flat Rates, 877-840-3282
www.acsdatarecovery.com

$379 Hard Drive Recovery
Rapid recovery of your lost data. No service fees unless successful!

www.gillware.com

Drive Recovery Made Easy
Crashed Hard Drive? Virus? Spyware? Recover your data now! Get CD- $129
www.prosofteng.com

Hard Disk Data Recovery
Expert data recovery on all systems Free evaluation.
Techs on call 24/7
www.drivelabs.us

Oregon Data Recovery
Flat Rate Data Recovery
Win, Mac, Raid. 18 years Exper. 800-339-3412
www.EcoDataRecovery.com

File Recovery Software
Win95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, Linux Download and try Free Demo
www.r-tt.com

Lost Files? Don't Panic.
Recovery Force Inc - We Rescue Data Affordable Data Recovery Services
www.recoveryforce.com/
m
MB-G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 21:48   #9
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

next part

For later, when (hopefully) things are back to normal:
(Backup proggies and related)

Quote:
RKopie
is a program to create and manage customized backup jobs. It can create zip compatible archive files, span across disks, delete redundant files in the backup archive and more. some features: * wizard to create a backup Jobs; * zip compatible archive files; * add folders and/or separate files to your job; * include or exclude masks for simple adding files; * simple edit backup jobs; * delete files from archive file; * span disks; * extract from backup file; * drag and drop; * full info about backup jobs; * log file; * running from the command line or Windows Task Scheduler; * dated folder; * create SFX = self extracting files;
Quote:
Mehul's Backup
Mehul's Backup will enable you to make disk-based backup copies of your data. Use it to copy your files and directories to networked hard drives, floppies, or larger-capacity disks such as a Zip or Jaz disk. Mehul's Backup will also let you synchronize your backed-up data with the files at their original source. It offers a host of options and features to make copying your files easier. You can back up complete drives, directories, folders, or only selected files; specify portions or files to ignore; and do your backup manually or with the automatic timed-backup option. The backups are created with a well-organized hierarchical arrangement. All backups are logged and can be view through the program. A system-tray icon makes program access fast. Classified as Pricelesswar by alt.comp.freeware ng.
Username: TEMPORARY
Product : MBACKUP11
Registration Code: XnGxYnjX-JnGxYnjX
Quote:
Monday Backup v1.9
(with Monday Cleanup and Registry check) backs up critical system files every Monday. Easily restore those files when system problems occur. Monday Backup now includes Monday Cleanup, which optionally cleans History, Recent and Temp folders in Windows 9.x on startup every Monday.
Quote:
My Own Backup
If you have been looking for a fast, easy to use yet powerful backup program for all those backups of your important data that you know you should do, but never get around to. Look no further! MOB v2 will let you do your backups by either copying all of the data, or zip it onto almost any type of media. Works with Zip & Jaz Drives, CD-RW, Hard Drives or even Floppy Disks using the Diskspan option. Crammed with powerful options, yet still extremely easy to use. Once you create and save your set you will never be more than two click away from a backup. There is even a Run Multiple option to make all of your backups in just one go. Below is list of all the possibilities in MOB v2 (see 'Version History' for a complete list). Make Unlimited Backup sets Run Multiple Backups at the same time Backup with Compression or Copy Only Backup individual files or whole folders and folder-systems (incl. sub-folders) Command Line Support Move Files / Folders Restore Files / Folders Add Empty Folders Add Hidden / System files (This applies for folders also) AutoSave-function Span over multiply disks Backup History (for a single set or the whole program) More! v2.1
Quote:
MrMirror
Creates mirror images of a selection of directories to a zip/jaz drive, a mapped network drive or even a local hard disk. It keeps track of when and what it does. It stores all its information on the volume that holds your mirror image. Mr Mirror skips files that are already up to date, features batch mode and partial updates.
Quote:
QuickZip Backup Replicates an entire directory structure, then compresses all files in each directory using standard ZIP compression. It is ideal for backing up to Zip disks.This is an excellent program for backing up documents, web sites etc. v2.2
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp (also on pricelessware.org site and on Son of Spy sovernet site)
Quote:
Karen's Replicator Karen Kenworthy
Version: 2.2.3
Dated: 22 June, 2003
Terms: Donationware (Non-commercial use)
Language: English

Description: Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network. Files larger than 2 GB are supported. Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the replication of file deletions. Specify which files should not be copied, and also which days a file should be skipped!
Download: (Direct Download)(ptreplicator-setup.exe) (1.36 Mb) Additional: Install: No Uninstall: No
Inducted In: 2004 Notes: Requires Visual Basic Runtime v6.0 which is also available at site
(pricelessware.org, I think, and also on Son of Spy sovernet site)
Quote:
XXCopy Pixelab
Version: 2.85.8
Dated: 14 August, 2004
Terms: Liteware (Non-commercial use)

Description: XXCOPY is a command line utility for easily backing up files and folders. It provides more that 200 advanced features for even the most seasoned user. Probably the most popular use of XXCOPY is as disk- cloning tool. It can duplicate an entire system drive that can boot Window 9X/ME (though not NT/2000/XP). When converting files with long file names to the DOS 8.3 file-name convention, XXCOPY handles the long file name correctly and doesn't give the two files the same 8.3 name. XXCOPY can be used to synchronize directories and overwrite read-only files. With XXCOPY, you can back up up directories incrementally without the use of archive bit. Exclude directories or files from copying by wild cards. Qualify file by file date/time (Before, On, or After). Copy hidden/system files. Flatten a directory tree into files in one directory. Copy only the first n bytes and more. XXCOPY comes with a 16-bit version (XXCopy16).
Download: [ !! Direct Download !! ] (xxcopy.zip) (246 Kb)
Inducted In: 2002 / 2003 / 2004
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils1.html
Quote:
Autobackup v3.1
You know that horrible sinking feeling you get when you empty the recycle bin or delete a file and realise that it was the wrong one ? Autobackup can make sure that this will not happen to you again.
Features
- Automatic or manual mode
- you specify the paths
- optionally creates diary entries of which files you modified
Firstly let me say that this is NOT a replacement for normal tape/CD backup systems. This program is an addition to it - at the end (or start) of each day/week it looks in the list of directories you specify and makes a backup copy of any files modified in that week to a separate directory. It's simple, effective, and when it saves that one file you really didnt want to delete you will be glad you downloaded it.
Quote:
Back Again LE
Easy to Use yet Powerful Click to enlarge Designed for all levels of users, Back Again LE for Windows 98 makes it easy to backup system files, applications, user data and critical registry files with an easy to use Hot Start feature that greatly simplifies backup and restore operations and a powerful, easy to navigate graphical user interface for complete control. And with the built-in compression, those backups will even take less space and in many cases will complete faster than if compression had not been used. Uses the Hardware You Already Have Back Again LE for Windows 98 works with most disk devices, including popular removable cartridge drives such as Iomega's Zip and Jaz drive, local and network attached hard drives, and even floppy disks. Additionally, when used with a product such as Adaptec DirectCD, Back Again LE supports backups to CD-R/CD-RW drives. Back Again II for Windows 98 rated 5 stars by ZDNet - 9/99 Features You Need Back Again LE for Windows 98 is loaded with additional features like software data compression, QFA (quick file access) support, restore redirection, customizable include/exclude filters, multiple concurrent backup capabilities, and transaction log files. If you have trouble with the link, try going here: http://www.cds-inc.com/prodinfo/bale98i.html and dling from there...
Quote:
BackItUp
Bernt Levinsson's excellent backup program that creates ZIP files and lets you configure serveral backup sets. Folders and separate files can be added to each backup set. For each backup set there's the option to delete specified files depending on the extension you enter. Can be run unattended.
Quote:
Backup4Win
Easy to use Backup program with many features including backup disk spanning to CDR(WinXP) and CDRW.Catalog files allows define and reuse previous settings. * Versioning saves variations of the same file within the same archive. * Basic and Expert modes. * Backup reports and ZIP comments. * Pause, shutdown, Tray Icon. * Stealth mode monitors and automatically backs up selected files as they are changed, keeping each version so that you can revert back to any previous version. * Stand-alone Stealth mode. * Command-line parameters for scheduled unattended backups. * Find desired file within a bunch of ZIP's quickly (global search). * Burn CD direct. * Instant Backup. The most critical advantage of Back4Win © over other backup software is its reliability.
Quote:
BackupLatest
is one of very few (if not the only one) backup software that allows you to automatically back up the most recently created or modified files. This means that if you create a new document it will automatically be backed up once you run BackupLatest without the necessity of adding your new file to a list of files that need to be backed up. You also do not need to worry about the capacity of your backup media. Even if you are backing up just to a 3.5-inch diskette you can be assured that 1.44 Mb of your most recent files will be backed up. Please make sure you have VB5 runtimes installed.
Quote:
Boch's Disk Image
A program to make a hard drive image file...a little convoluted but serviceable.
Quote:
CobBackup
CobBackUp is a little utility to backup files and whole directories from some place in your computer to another place in the same computer or to a shared drive in another machine. You can set the program to automatically make a backup within regular intervals of time. The program can also use pkzip.exe 2.50 or newer as an external application to compress your files or directories. The application runs minimized in the windows tray and logs all the operations into a text file. This, and the fact that the application can start automatically with windows, makes it ideal to use it in a server machine to backup important files. Features * Backup single filer or directories * Make regular backups within intervals (from 1 minut to 1001 hours) * Compress your files and directories using pkzip 2.50 or newer * Autostart the program with Windows * Log all the operations * Overwrite your backups or create new backups copies. * Let the program running in the tray panel without interferinig with your other programs * Use drag'n'drop to add files and directories to your list.
Quote:
(SHAREWARE) SYA Backup

Easy No fuss backup saves up to a month of compessed daily backups. A must have for businesses with daily update requirements for their data. S.Y.A. Backup (Save Your Ass Backup) Written in VB5 and using a OCX zip compression this shareware program allows clients to save their application data in a rotating 31 day file archive. The need came about because some clients found backups too complex, or required too many disks so they did not backup, and they got burned! So SYA allows archiving with one click to the C drive (or any other drive) with 31 day history. The full month is to insure a last good copy can be found. Sometimes the problem is not discovered for a week! And one or even 3 sets of backups are not enough to recover.The Zip Compression makes for small space requirements and is fully com- patable with other Zip products like PKzip & WinZip.
m
part 3/3 I hope is next
Old 05-06-2005, 21:52   #10
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

part 3/3 (hopefully)

more backup programs, including partition savers and such:

Quote:
SyncBack No-install version.
SyncBack is a powerful freeware program that helps you backup and synchronise your files to: the same drive; a different drive or medium (CDRW, CompactFlash, etc); an FTP server; a Network; or a Zip archive. Ease of Use Some of SyncBack's many features include integration with the Windows Task Scheduler, detailed and easy to read log files in HTML format (that can be automatically emailed), simulated backups, file filters, sub-directory selection, copy verification, background backups, auto-close of programs, and more. Includes an extensive context-sensitive help file.
http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/sys.htm
Quote:
WinDriversBackup Personal Edition Jermar Software Corp
Version: 1.09
Dated: 14 October, 2003
Terms: Freeware (Non-commercial use)

Description: WinDriversBackup is a handy tool for backing up your Windows system driver files. Use this program to find and identify all drivers or optionally limit it to non-Microsoft drivers and then copy them to a backup directory of your choice. You can choose to copy all or only selected drivers.
Download: [ Go to download page ] (wdrvbck1.exe) (2.44 Mb)
Quote:
Partition Saving D. Guibouret
Version: 2.90
Dated: 04 June, 2004
Windows Ver: 95 / 98 / ME

Description: Partition Saving is a DOS program that is used to save, restore and copy hard-drive, partitions, floppy disk and DOS devices. With this program you could save all data on a partition to a file (such as you could save this file on a CD for example). Then if something goes wrong, you can completely restore the partition from the backup file. You no longer have to reinstall every piece of software from scratch. All you have to do is restore the partition from the backup file and then update any software that was modified since the backup was created.
Download: [ !! Direct Download !! ] (savepart.zip) (395 Kb)
Notes:
Potential useful utilities?

Quote:
NoDelete
Prevent: Reading of/copying/modification of/renaming of/moving of and/or accidental erasure of up to 510 files (no CPU use) each file can be individually protected with a different method such as: (1) No Deletion/ Renaming /Moving Reading, Copying and Modifications Only (2) No Deletion/ Renaming /Moving or Modifications allowed You can copy/read the file/open it (3) No copying /reading /deletion /renaming /moving /modifications (Total protection) By default, Protection Method 1 is selected. NO CPU use during protection, Extremely safe– Does not alter your file contents in any way... Is Hidden from CTRL+ALT+DEL Task List, Password Protection – Protect your Files from nosy-parkers Stop Access to your Control-Panel Applications – Stop People changing your Screen-Resolution/Screen Saver/Backdrop Stop Viruses/Programs accessing AUTOEXEC /CONFIG /MSDOS Stop Users accessing DOS when in Windows Minimise to Tray for non-desktop-clutter (when in tray, files are protected) Double-Click task-icon to bring up screen (while screen is up, files are not protected) Drag’n’Drop upto 510 files for easy, VERY SAFE but REAL protection. Disable CTRL+ALT+DEL for ALL Tasks!
Quote:
Reloader
in case it might help you get programs installed more quickly once your HD problem is taken care of....
lets you automatically reload predefined sets of programs. There are three main ways to use it. You can start Microsoft Windows with the same programs that were running when you last shut down. You can start Windows with the same set of programs every time. Or you can load predefined sets of programs on demand rather than at start-up. To the extent possible, Reloader will restore programs to their original state, positioning windows as they were when you saved your layout.
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils5.html
Quote:
Tuff-Test Lite Superior hardware diagnostics that boot from a floppy...Read the documentation on this one....
Quote:
XUndelete
Sigh...This is the best there is...in freeware, but it still runs from the command line. Will someone please write a good freeware undelete that supports the GUI of Windows? It's really about time!
Partition managers, etc., type utilities:

Quote:
Partition Manager Save and restore MBR
Create and delete partitions View hard disks' IDE information Format and resize FAT-16 and FAT-32 file systems Comes with Advanced Boot Managers Advanced Boot Manager Boot menu with password protection Automatic partition hide and unhide Boot any OS from the second hard drive Create up to 31 primary partitions on a single hard drive Detect presence of the boot viruses in memory
Quote:
SavePart(ition) Savepart is a DOS program to save, restore and copy hard-drive partitions. With this program you could save all data of a partition into a file then save this file (on a CD by example). Then if something goes wrong with this partition and need install of all softwares back, you can restore the saved partition. So with such a program you do not need to install all softwares: you have just to restore the file that contains the saving of this partition and then update softwares you install/uninstall/modify since creation of this file. Note: be aware of softwares that install or modify files on several partitions (e.g. all Windows programs that update registry or DLLs that could be on another partition). In this case if one of the partition is saved/restored, the second one must be equally saved/restored (else you will have some incoherences that could prevent softwares to run). Savepart is able to compress data (using the gzip algorithm) and to split them into several files (by example if you need to save a 2 Gb partition on CD, this will be possible with deflating it and, if necessary, splitting it into 650 Mb files). Almost all partition types are supported. In the case of FAT (12, 16 and 32), ext2 and NTFS partitions, you could also choose between saving all sectors or only occupied one.
Registry backup/auto-saves/restore, etc. utilities:
are here: http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils4.html

Quote:
Rescue
This is a recovery program that is extremely powerful! It is fully functional and easy to use. It will backup and restore the following files:Autoexec.bat, Config.sys, Command.com, IO.sys, MSDOS.sys, Protocol.ini, System.da0,System.dat, System.ini, User.da0, User.dat, Win.ini,should a corruption happen. It also has an install and uninstall program with instructions.
Probably not helpful, but I included it just the same:

Quote:
Restoration
Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin or deleted while holding down the Shift key by mistake. Conversely, this program has another function that makes it almost impossible to restore all deleted files. You can use it after deletion of confidential documents, embarrassing files and so on. You don't have to install it, so it doesn't leave any garbage in the PC.(You can also run it from a floppy disk.)

Even if a file seems to be restored, there is no guarantee that the contents are correct. After you run the program, please check the files. You can probably restore it correctly if the drive has enough free space and if it's just after deletion. If you restore a folder, there is no guarantee that all files or folders which used to belong to the folder will be in it. If you can't find them in it, please search and restore them one by one.

If you still can't find them, it's impossible to restore them. It will be almost impossible to restore any deleted files if you run the complete deletion function. To be exact, fragments of deleted files can be in last clusters of existing files or allocated and unwritten files. (Note that this function is not suitable for TOP SECRET information.) Even if you find the information of completely deleted files, their contents must be erased. If you want to erase the information too, please run the function again.
I sure hope you get your data back..... if something in these three replies helps, I'll be a happy camper for your! (It was also a good excuse to not be finishing finding the bottom of the floor in my bedroom, moving furniture, and unloading the dishwasher, hehe.....)
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life
(The Wreckers; "Stand Still; Look Pretty")
Old 05-06-2005, 21:57   #11
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

PS

http://www.lurkhere.com/forum600.html
http://www.lurkhere.com/cgi-bin/forums/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=301&forum=DCForumID16

(thread on one of the file recovery proggies I think I included in my 3-part list of hopeful helpfuls)
(see more below re PC Inspector - including DL access via pcworld.com listing)

"PC Inspector 4.x - File Recovery"
Mar-12-05, 00:06 AM (EST)
(excerpt)
Quote:
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

The current version 4.x replaces the previous version 3.x, which is now over 6 years old.

Here are some of the new features in PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x
• Finds partitions automatically, even if the boot sector or FAT has been erased or damaged
• Recovers files with the original time and date stamp
• Supports the saving of recovered files on network drives
• Recovers files, even when a header entry is no longer available.

Competition products cannot recover such files. The "Special Recovery Function" supports the following disk formats:

ARJ AVI BMP CDR DOC DXF DBF XLS
EXE GIF HLP HTML HTM JPG LZH MID
MOV MP3 PDF PNG RTF TAR TIF WAV
ZIP

PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x is so-called original site was in German, so the "so-called" reference is just a symantical thing FREEWARE. This means that the software does not cost you a single penny.
All you have to do is go to our download area to download the latest version of PC INSPECTOR™ File Recovery 4.x.
m

Added via edit: here's another, although older thread on the same site:
Conferences Tools and Utilities Topic #144
http://www.lurkhere.com/cgi-bin/forums/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=144&forum=DCForumID16

Quote:
"PC INSPECTOR - UTILITIES"
Aug-18-03, 09:07 AM (EDT)

Saw the following link on today's Langa List Newsletter. There are several rather interesting FREE applications that might be of use.
If they are indeed as advertised, they may be the answer some of you are seeking to drive recovery, drive cloning, etc.

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Aug-18-03, 04:41 PM (EDT)
According to the FAQ for The File Recovery module, files can be recovered to any logical drive including Zip Drives.

"RE: PC INSPECTOR - UTILITIES"
Aug-20-03, 11:10 AM (EDT)

Ref; http://www.lurkhere.com/cgi-bin/forums/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=4&forum=DCForumID16

I use their FileRecovery often and I like it much. I've found it more handy for checking the quality of my shreds than for retrieving files with dead pathways but it works well for both. DI is mentioned in the link above too. I use it as well.

I can't speak for the 'clone'. I keep my sys images on DVD and I like to choose what dirs I backup, so I don't have any need.
Here's a couple more which seem related, including referencing useful/workable apps to help recover the lost data: ... [/quote]

Conferences Tools and Utilities Topic #105
http://www.lurkhere.com/cgi-bin/forums/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=105&forum=DCForumID16

Quote:
"File Recovery"
Mar-29-03, 11:18 AM (EDT)
Both FileRecovery and DiskInvestigator have been recently updated. These are both exceptionally fine recovery tools that rival most sharewares...but FREE. A must have for any tech. I use both on my client service disk. Besides recovering files and diagnosing probs associated with disk maintenance, another great use is checking out the quality of your shreds.
another freeware tool absoluuuuutely WORTH having is this NTFS-reader for DOS. http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm
mentioned in later post in same thread:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22917,00.asp
Quote:
Disk Investigator

Discover what's hidden on your computer hard disk and recover lost data. Disk Investigator bypasses your operating system so you can directly see the contents of your hard drive: raw drive sectors, files, clusters, and directories. This is helpful if you want to verify the effectiveness of file and disk wiping programs. It's also quite useful if you need to recover previously deleted files.

Note: Although this file works, it is no longer supported by the author. Download
Also listed on this pcworld page:
Quote:
EasyRecovery Professional v6.0
Recover files from a variety of hard-disk disasters.
"trial" version made available March 2004

EasyRecovery Professional v6.0
Recover files from a variety of hard-disk disasters. March, 2004

Lost & Found
Automatically recover and restore data from your hard drive after a crash or loss. June, 2002

DIY DataRecovery DataBack v1.0
Recover accidentally deleted files, even after reformatting. April, 2002

GetDataBack v2.25
Accidentally deleted a file? Recover lost data on your PC or network.
shareware, April 2004

Deleted File Analysis Utility
Scan your hard drive to list deleted files that may still be recoverable. Free, 12/2002

R-Studio Data Recovery v2.0
Recover lost data and undo previous deletes on your system or over a network. Shareware, Jan, 2003

Restorer v1.1
Undelete files and recover data from formatted or corrupted drives.
shareware, Jan 2003

File Scavenger
Accidentally delete an important file? Recover it with this tool. trial, Feb, 2004

HDD Regenerator
HDD Regenerator repairs bad sectors of your hard drive. Demo Dec 2004
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/0,collid,1295,00.asp
Quote:
Free Hard Disk Utilities: Recover Deleted Files and Lost Data
Partition your hard drive and recover deleted data with these files.

PC Inspector File Recovery v4.x
Recover lost data--even if your older system's FAT or boot sector is damaged. FREE APRIL, 2005

Restoration v2.5.14
Recover deleted files--or delete them for good--with this small program. FREE April, 2005

VirtualLab Data Recovery Software v4.8.8
Recover data lost from almost anything short of a sledgehammer accident.
FREE April, 2005
m
I am slowly falling apart - I wish you'd take a walk in my shoes for a start. You might think it's easy being me ... Sometimes I find myself shaking - In the middle of the night. And then it hits me and I can't - Even believe this is my life

Last edited by MB-G26; 05-06-2005 at 22:37..
Old 05-07-2005, 08:16   #12
Sinister Angel
I'd Hit It!

Thanks! There about 6 possibilities that I'm looking at right now.
Old 05-07-2005, 15:32   #13
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

SA

Here's hoping you end up having to take less time to achieve your goal than it too me to dig them up, LOL
(hopefully w/one or more of the proggies I dug up w/do the trick instead of shelling out megga bucks to a data recovery place)

Good luck! And start watching for CDRs on sale - so you can implement one of the backup programs once things are all situated
m
Old 05-11-2005, 10:40   #14
Daver308
In Charge

Send a message via AIM to Daver308
Quote:
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Yea but with an attached drive you can create an unattended backup scheduled task, which is the most important part of backing up data.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed -- unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
– James Madison, President
Daver308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 19:29   #15
Washington,D.C.

Free back up program

http://www.simplyeng.com/
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:13   #16
proguncali
CLM Number 123
1911-2004

I've gotten burned before and it sucks.

It forced me to get my tape drive up.

Luckily there are only two scenarios that I can't get my data back, one is the drive won't spin, the other is the drive "drops it's firmware" so to speak.

I just had the second one happen to a client. The 20 Gb drive thought it was a 1.2Gb drive.
Brace yourself for the tsunami of stupid that is about to hit...
I think, perhaps, it is time for a moment of silent meditation to Saint Fu.
proguncali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 19:26   #17
MB-G26
Lifetime Membership
Inertia Bound

On a similar note

Last wknd kiddo's excellerated choir performed, along w/all the other school's choirs, their Spring Concert - and then had awards ceremony and such immediately after. I filled up the first 'smart card thing' of the dig. camera, and instead of deleting blurry shots to make more room I accidently hit the wrong button (camera manual has been misplaced for years around here somewhere) and DELETED ALL THE SHOTS! Wahh!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a shot of each and every choir, each individual performance, etc. from start to 3/4 way through the program, then had to change to the 2nd card. So, basically, I lost all the frame-by-frame documenting of the start-to-almost-finish I had wanted to do.

One of the programs I dug up and posted about claims to be able to retrieve deletions from 'smart media' type cards, too.... and I DL'd and installed and all that - only to learn that if the program shows it CAN retrieve the lost data, you then have to BUY with $$$$, in GIG increments, a min. one GIG for $100 - to actually make the program retrieve what it found it can. Apparently it retrieves through the mfg's servers or something..... and for this you have to pay :(

So, the card it sitting here waiting for me to find time to try one of the other (supposedly) free programs that can retrieve deletions from those 'media card' things.

D@mnit.
m
Old 08-19-2005, 15:51   #18
Jtemple
Geek

Quote:
Agreed. I have 3 of them. I have 710 GB of storage in my house. That's plenty. External storage is so cheap now; I picked up a 160 GB drive at CompUSA for $40. Another $30 buys you a USB 2.0 enclosure.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:54   #19
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

It never ceases to amaze me how many people will spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on PCs but they don't think what they produce on that PC is worth a couple of hundred dead Prez's to protect against catastrophic failure. Kinda like seeing a guy riding a $20,000 touring motorcycle and wearing a $29 K-Mart helmet.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 17:30   #20
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

I just got a 120GB Western Digital USB2 one touch ext HD.

$140 at best buy
-$50 dollar gift card I had laying around
-$30 manufacturer mail in rebate
-$30 Best Buy mail in rebate

=$30 for piece of mind