Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-07-2009, 19:03   #1
rb4browns

Looking for a FRIENDLY Gun Shop in Houston

Hi all, this is my first post. I am strongly considering replacing my S&W 642 with a G26 as my everyday carry. I have fired the G26 at the range a while ago and loved it. I want to be able to see how one feels in my pocket (w holster) or IWB.

Can anyone recommend a good shop here in Houston that has guys behind the counter with a little patience? The only shop I have been to here (we moved to town 4 months ago) is Carters Country. I hate that place, the people who work there are either morons, mall ninjas or both.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2009, 20:27   #2
Tx-G30

http://www.topgunrange.com/index.htm

In the very short time that I lived in the Houston area, I found this place. They have an ok selection but it's obvious they really push the Glocks. They also have an indoor range but I particularily didn't care for their range rules - you're only allowed to shoot ammo that you buy there (under the threat of being kicked out if you get caught using your own - and yes, they do watch you on video cameras) and they only allow one person on the firing line on the lane making it impossible to teach someone how to shoot.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Tx-G30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:27   #3
mja78152

[url]http://www.jimpruett.net/[/url]

Met them only once, but was treated well.
mja78152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:34   #4
AggiePhil
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Collector's Firearms. Buddy of mine works the tactical counter there.
AggiePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 22:44   #5
Dragster
Lone Star #4040

Most, if not all, Academy stores have a good selection of all brands and usually are cheaper than most other stores. I can say that the store in Humble on FM 1960 E. (bypass) (west of hwy59) is a friendly bunch. Another is Sportsman's Outlet also on FM 1960 E. (bypass) just east of Wilson Rd.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2A
Dragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 19:19   #6
mdek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-G30 View Post
http://www.topgunrange.com/index.htm

In the very short time that I lived in the Houston area, I found this place. They have an ok selection but it's obvious they really push the Glocks. They also have an indoor range but I particularily didn't care for their range rules - you're only allowed to shoot ammo that you buy there (under the threat of being kicked out if you get caught using your own - and yes, they do watch you on video cameras) and they only allow one person on the firing line on the lane making it impossible to teach someone how to shoot.
To clarify: Top Gun does NOT require you to only shoot their ammo if you are shooting your own gun. A rental must use ammo purchased from them, but if I remember correctly you're otherwise allowed to shoot anything you want as long as it is brass-cased, jacketed, and not a magnum caliber. This is probably the range with the "nicest" facilities within a reasonable distance of the inner loop.

They did have a fire a few months ago, so I think the range is currently limited to their CHL classes, but the store should be open as they finish their repairs.
mdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 20:51   #7
justapatriot

Friendly Gun Store

Might help to know the part of town you are interested in, but I agree Pruitt's gun shop is very good. On the south side you could try Marksman in Pasadena.

On TopGun, I have shot there a few times and never had a problem bringing in my own ammo.
Lifetime NRA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Texas CHL 1995
justapatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 21:36   #8
mdek

Quote:
Originally Posted by justapatriot View Post
Might help to know the part of town you are interested in, but I agree Pruitt's gun shop is very good. On the south side you could try Marksman in Pasadena.

On TopGun, I have shot there a few times and never had a problem bringing in my own ammo.
Marksman (close to Hobby airport) is pretty good and affordable, although the ventilation and neighborhood aren't quite at the level of top gun (not that the Richmond strip is especially upscale). Shiloh Shooting Range out on 290 past the beltway is very nice if you live near there, but it's way too far from where I live.

And to directly answer the OP's request: you may want to try out Academy, or Collector's Firearms if you want more selection. Your best bet would be to go to the HGCA show at reliant this weekend (Oct 10-11), where you will certainly find better prices and selection than any single store in town.

Last edited by mdek; 10-06-2009 at 21:40..
mdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 19:37   #9
Joe Kidd

Give Tomball Pawn a try. I can't say that they are the friendliest, but their prices are considerably less than most dealers. I purchased my 17 and 26 (Both NIB) from them earlier this year for $479ea.

http://www.tomballpawn.com/
Joe Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 20:08   #10
Kill Bill
Plane go boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
be ready to pay full retail.

but i really like their store.
Airline Captain
Member, Mystery Writers of America
Kill Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 23:39   #11
chevyjeep

You are right about Carter's Country!! Unless you appear to have a million dollars or act as if they treat you like you are some homeless person cause you are to stupid to buy there guns. I would suggest Jim Pruett's. huffmiester and 290 area.
chevyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 16:29   #12
The Katy Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
They're over priced and always sell their used guns with one mag LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kidd View Post
Give Tomball Pawn a try. I can't say that they are the friendliest, but their prices are considerably less than most dealers. I purchased my 17 and 26 (Both NIB) from them earlier this year for $479ea.

[URL]http://www.tomballpawn.com/[/URL]
That's the best gun shop in H-Town, great prices and down to earth people.
The Katy Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44   #13
RED64CJ5

Buffalo Nickel Emporium - Hard to find, but has a lot of unique things. Not your run-of-the-mill shop. Located just off I-45 in The Woodlands. The guy who owns it doesn't put up with BS and is a straight shooter.

Collector's Firearms - Definitely a nice place to visit, but not necessarily for bargains. Always seemed friendly to me.

Fountain Firearms - Worth a trip; some good deals, decent store people.

As for "shooting ranges" -- I like '59 Gun Range on Hopper Rd. It's ghetto, but cheap and no BS.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 15:20   #14
n2wishn
Stamp Collector

Tomball Pawn is by far the best priced place in the greater Houston area. I have purchased weapons from many of the more popular dealers in Houston some have duped me with the higher prices because I didn't know any better at the time. I have found that the best deals can be found from little known dealers that will give you discounts for being a repeat customer. I have also found that if you find a dealer that will do transfers for you like Tomball Pawn you will come out on top every time. Tomball does transfers for 25.00 per weapon.

Also try Class 3 Weapons and Republic Arms.
Old 11-07-2009, 20:52   #15
ajjacks916
IDPA SO

http://tomballpawn.com/
Old 11-07-2009, 20:52   #16
ajjacks916
IDPA SO

http://spectrefirearms.com/
Old 11-22-2009, 22:45   #17
BoxerDog25

if your looking to save money, I would recommend going to one of the three gunshows at reliant. You will be able to buy Glocks for about $450.

Look for bachman, ajc, schrams or gunzone for the best price. I saved about $150 on the last gun I bought because I did not go to one of Houstons high priced gunshops.
Old 12-12-2009, 21:29   #18
adv

Spectre firearms are "good people", probably the best priced Glocks in Houston (bought mine there, $470 range). Thunder Range out north off I 45 is a nice range, as is Hotwells on 290 by Spring Cypress.
I personally had a bad experience at Tomball Pawn but they have a varied selection.
adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 00:01   #19
BoxerDog25

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv View Post
Spectre firearms are "good people", probably the best priced Glocks in Houston (bought mine there, $470 range). Thunder Range out north off I 45 is a nice range, as is Hotwells on 290 by Spring Cypress.
I personally had a bad experience at Tomball Pawn but they have a varied selection.

No offense by this statement, but if you consider thunder range a nice range, then what the hell do you call a bad range???????? that place is horrible!
Old 12-14-2009, 16:40   #20
adv

A nice range is one that allows rapid fire and has targets that aren't 12 inches off the floor. But the rapid fire kinda does it lol
adv is offline   Reply With Quote