300gr @ 1000fps (safe for all modern guns) 45 15.41%
200gr @ 1500fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 9 3.08%
255gr @ 1400fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 36 12.33%
300gr @ 1300fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 33 11.30%
335gr @ 1250fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 17 5.82%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2005, 01:02   #41
noway

canyonman , definetely know what he is talkin about. A good huntin load don't need all of that speed to be good, and surely not needed for larger game animals.

I Talk to Canyonman and another hunter ( extensively ) that has honestly hunted every big game species in this hemisphere and africa and down in the land of oz, and this fellow has taken most of every thing with a bullet in the weights of 300gr ( jhp or hardcast ) and dig this, the load he is using are under 1150fps. Yeap under 1150fps! The biggest animal he has taken was a elephant and giraffee and the elephant did need almost the full cylinder as how he put it.

take it from their experience you don't need anything much hotter than that and specially on this side of the pond. the extra blast & recoil does no more towards killing the game.

just my 0.02c opinions.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:34   #42
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT

So does that apply to the 10mm too. A 180 grain bullet going 1150 is just as good as a full power double tap load going 1350. Sounds like good logic. That extra recoil and blast is not needed. Heck the 45 acp with 230 grain bullets at 990 sound just dandy.
Pat
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:39   #43
PaleGreenHorse
10mm

At 100 yards a 250gr 45colt round starting at aprx 1000fps(@muzzle) will have about as much energy transfer as a 9mm, not to mention a POA drop of about 5-6 inches. Penetration and energy distribution would be severly reduced, I just "personally" would like something a bit faster to flatten trajectory and retain its energy for larger game hunting at further distances.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:42   #44
Biker13

I went with the 255s at 1150. Right now, in my Taurus 450, I carry 225 gr Silvertips in town and 260 SWC at about 900fps when in the woods. I think the new 255s would cover both situations well for me although I wonder what the recoil out of a 17 oz gun would be like.
Biker13;c
Biker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48   #45
noway

{A 180 grain bullet going 1150 is just as good as a full power double tap load going 1350. Sounds like good logic. }

for humans and for SD, that argument might fly for the 10mm, but the above post was based on a hunting load & caliber on big game animals using a bigger bullet that weighs about 40-55% more. The 45colt doesn't has to be driven as hard as some think to be effective cartridge on big game animals.

And I wouldn't ever dream of comparing a SD ammo to a hunting ammo and their needs and requirements. A totally different approach is needed to kill game animals and stopping people, which is what you are trying todo, plus we ( humans) aren't built in the same fashion as out counterparts that have manes, horns and 4 legs

From what I read, in the older days when hunters & soliders kill buffs and elk, they did it with far less inferior guns & bullets and all where going much slower than suggest velocities that we heard about and are seeing today.

Just something to remember.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 13:27   #46
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
How about this old timer.....I shoot a .45colt in a Ruger platform and I would like more speed, Its my desire not yours so please, you shoot what you like and I will do the same. No offense, but your opinion was not asked for. Mike asked what we liked as individuals, this is what I like, and what I would prefer to see from DoubleTap. As far as my request for speed, I would like to see a .45colt retain some serious energy and velocity at long distances for larger game. Thanks though, PGH

Hoss, there is so much i would like to say about your post, but these "tired old feeble hands" just can't get going this morning, you know us 'old timers'!

You do have a 'very valid point though.' That being, 'you shoot what you want to.' ;f

Take care now!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 14:08   #47
Mwinter
I'm MilkMan Dan

Gold Dot

I'm with Pat, make it a Gold Dot. In the other calibers, the GDHP seem to function well in a really wide velocity window (as evidenced by DT 9x25, 10mm etc).....

I'm thinking a 'medium' velocity (read just a tad over the usual commercial stuff) heavy GDHP in a 45LC would be a dandy general-purpose round.

A full-jacketed round for toothy critters would also be welcome; a deep-penetrator with controllable recoil and safe for Smiths.

On an unrelated note....McNett did you get my email via your website about custom 10mm loadings?
Singled out, and called to arms to defend what they hold dearest, the number of truly evil people would be small. The number of truly good people, even smaller....those too afraid, too weak or too ill-prepared to fight would be countless.
Mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 14:42   #48
PaleGreenHorse
10mm

Quote:
Originally posted by CanyonMan

You do have a 'very valid point though.' That being, 'you shoot what you want to.' ;f

Take care now!

CanyonMan
Well said, Thank you canyonman for the courtesy. PGH
Old 03-10-2005, 16:50   #49
turbonatr

Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
Quote:
Originally posted by PaleGreenHorse
At 100 yards a 250gr 45colt round starting at aprx 1000fps(@muzzle) will have about as much energy transfer as a 9mm, not to mention a POA drop of about 5-6 inches. Penetration and energy distribution would be severly reduced, I just "personally" would like something a bit faster to flatten trajectory and retain its energy for larger game hunting at further distances.
I too respect your desired load. More power to ya.

I think what the other posters were saying is that the 45 Colt has the advantage of bullet diameter and bullet weight on it's side. These are the only two constants we have when the bullet leaves the barrel. Comparing it to a 9mm isn't quite right as the 9mm isn't .452" and doesn't shoot a bullet weighing 300+gr. The 45 Colt is used regularly to take large game out past 100 yards with mid-weight bullets (for example a 260gr. slug) at low-modest velocity (about 900fps or so). Penetration is excellent as this load will fully penetrate a mule deer at 100 yards while still being far from a magnum load. This being the case, "energy transfer" doesn't mean diddly as once we have shot through game, we have done all we can do. The only thing we do by increasing velocity is extend range by flattening out trajectory.

But, like I said, I respect your desire for magnum-class 45 Colt loads. Just wanted to point out a few things concerning the 45 Colt "mid-power" loads. ;c
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 17:03   #50
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

The load I am checking out at this time is: Hornady 250gr HP/XTP in front of 8.3gr of Power Pistol.

I shoot that in the .454 Ruger SRW and the accuracy is great while those things going out at a nominal 900fps offers the recoil as a gentle shove. The effect down range is, well, .45 Colt!
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 16:42   #51
Biker13

Bumping because I don't want Mike (Doubletap) to think that there isn't enough interest for new loads for the .45 Colt!
Biker13;c
Biker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 15:35   #52
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Another bump. I sure don't want Mike to think nobody cares about 45 Colt loads.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:15   #53
stiletto raggio

Although I voted for the 335 grain Ruger only load, I think that the "all modern gun" loads should take priority. There are all sorts of loads out there for Rugers, but if you can trun my soon-to-be-possessed Single Action Army rig into a viable pair of field revovlers, I would be much obliged. Fact is, I'll probably reload almost all of the .45 Colt ammo I shoot, and while I feel comfortable loading cowboy loads for my SAAs and heavy loads for my Rugers, I wouldn't feel comfortable loading anyhting higher than target loads for my SAAs. Enter DT ammo and Mike's expertise (and "factory loads" status).
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” -John 15:13

"Here's the truth, which you know in your heads and hearts already: Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead." –Larry Miller
stiletto raggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 13:27   #54
Rusty Phillips

I want to see a Dbl Tap 45 Colt Equalizer

but unlike the 10mm equalizer with a 135 hp on top of a 90 grain round lead ball,

perhaps the 45 colt version could be a 165 grain jhp on top of a reversed 155 lswc

320 grains at maybe 900 fps????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Rusty Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 17:02   #55
stiletto raggio

Umm... YES. Rusty's idea rules. That would make a .45 Colt snubby hella viable as a belly piece, as though it weren't already.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” -John 15:13

"Here's the truth, which you know in your heads and hearts already: Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead." –Larry Miller
stiletto raggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 23:53   #56
MCNETT
Lifetime Membership
Load Developer

You guys are great! Thanks for the added input. I am now putting the finishing touches on the DoubleTap .45Colt loadings!
-Mike

For the 10mm enthusiast!
MCNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 00:57   #57
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Wooooooohoooooooooo!!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 23:06   #58
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Bump

Any new info??
Old 04-10-2005, 23:52   #59
MCNETT
Lifetime Membership
Load Developer

I have tested and evaluated four loads. Two standard pressure 14,000psi and two Ruger only 25,000psi loads. They will be out within the next couple of weeks!
-mike

For the 10mm enthusiast!
MCNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 03:22   #60
Skyhook

Send a message via Yahoo to Skyhook

Great news!
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote