Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
View Poll Results: Your choice for the next factory .45Colt loading
200gr @ 1350fps (safe for all modern guns) 29 9.90%
230gr @ 1250fps (safe for all modern guns) 34 11.60%
255gr @ 1150fps (safe for all modern guns) 89 30.38%
300gr @ 1000fps (safe for all modern guns) 45 15.36%
200gr @ 1500fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 9 3.07%
255gr @ 1400fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 37 12.63%
300gr @ 1300fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 33 11.26%
335gr @ 1250fps (Ruger, FA, or T/C only) 17 5.80%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll


 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2005, 20:11   #21
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


Quote:
Originally posted by paccw
***Edited for Posting Violations***
I think he is doing a fine job at moderating. You on the other hand just violated Glock talk rules by personally insulting him by calling him rude and dim. He simply commented on your post he did not insult you as a person. You sir are the immature one that has some growing up to do.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 20:11   #22
turbonatr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: N.E., PA
Posts: 8,372
Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
Quote:
Originally posted by paccw
I put a phone book infront of a 4X4 post and the round went right through both.

Is that wortha damn to you?
Power I got your power right here;c
Yup, i'm the immature one.;Q

You can't believe i'm a moderator, and I can't believe your posting privilages haven't been revoked yet. Perhaps you need to be reminded of the times YOU were warned for inappropriate posting behavior?

This thread was started for people to vote on proposed loads from DoubleTap, not to bring up the load you buy and shoot in your gun. If you don't wish to vote or discuss the proposed loads, anything said would be off-topic on your part...and has been to this point.

Report this, indeed!
__________________
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:02   #23
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,722
McNett if you're gonna produce a few, I'd stick with "standard" pressure loads so that everybody can take advantage, not just us guy's with Rugers, etc.

On the the other hand, I myself would buy the 200 gr @ 1500 fps for personal defense and the 335 for hunting I really hope you put out some .45 Colt loads!

Oh, and if you decide on the 255 @ 1150, make sure it's a Keith sytle cast bullet
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Last edited by SDGlock23; 02-27-2005 at 01:04..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 06:09   #24
Alaskapopo
NRA ENDOWMENT
 
Alaskapopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Alaska
Posts: 16,457


I would like to see some defense ammo with 230 grain Golddots at about 950 to 1000 fps.
Pat
__________________
Colt M16/AR15/ 1911 & Glock Armorer.
Certified Firearms Instructor & Urban Rifle Instructor.
Completed SWAT Entry Team and SWAT Sniper courses.
NRA Endowment Member
USPSA B class
Alaskapopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 23:01   #25
Fortyfied
Senior Member
 
Fortyfied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Davis, PRK
Posts: 459


Quote:
Originally posted by SDGlock23
...make sure it's a Keith sytle cast bullet
I second that vote ... Lyman 452424
Fortyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 23:40   #26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Fortyfied
I second that vote ... Lyman 452424
Go LBT, or go home!;f
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:12   #27
MCNETT
Lifetime Membership
Load Developer
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pressure testing and loading!
Posts: 2,890
I need a few more votes guys. C'mon, I know there are more .45Colt lovers out there!
-Mike
__________________
"TWO HOLES BLEED BETTER THAN ONE!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

For the 10mm enthusiast!
MCNETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 20:53   #28
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
Yes, there is some more 45 Colt lovers out here/there, and Mike, i'm sure you know i am one of them, but MAN, you did NOT have my favorite choice. ;f

As, i think it was turbonatr, pointed out concerning "John Linebaugh,"
using the 300gr. cast at 1000fps, this is a 'great load.'

I load 'just a bit more' than that. A 300gr. cast, at 1150fps is my real all time favorite, and was also, a favorite of Keith as well, (as he had several favorites it seems).

I'm not so sure that 200gr. at 1350fps, is going to be to cool in 'some clones,' do ya think ?


Well, doggone it, since i can't 'get in the middle there.

I will vote for the 300gr. at 1000fps. Like i told a good friend of mine, 'this caliber' does not usually require much more than that to take down anything in N. America.


CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 21:15   #29
turbonatr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: N.E., PA
Posts: 8,372
Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
IIRC, John Linebaugh's wife uses a 260gr. Keith slug at 900fps to take mule deer. John reports this load will fully penetrate a mule deer length-wise at 100+ yards. He also says it goes through elk like butter. He has used the same bullet at 1400fps and feels the added velocity doesn't kill any faster.

I'd say a 300gr. at 1000fps will do just fine providing a proper bullet.
__________________
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 23:08   #30
SDGlock23
Glockoholic
 
SDGlock23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Land of Forgetfulness
Posts: 7,722
McNett,
On the self defense side of it, have you considered the 250gr Gold Dot bullet? I just got some in today (factory loaded) and it's a really gnarly looking big bullet.

I say we get one of each, one hollow point, one cast. 250gr Gold Dot and that 300 grainer is looking fine too!
__________________
"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

Last edited by SDGlock23; 03-08-2005 at 23:18..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 23:14   #31
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
IIRC, John Linebaugh's wife uses a 260gr. Keith slug at 900fps to take mule deer. John reports this load will fully penetrate a mule deer length-wise at 100+ yards. He also says it goes through elk like butter. He has used the same bullet at 1400fps and feels the added velocity doesn't kill any faster.

This is correct. What some people 'do not realize,' is that 'this caliber' has 'tremedous potential' even at lower, or slower, velocities.

Not the 1400fps, speed/s, which i agree 'is way to much,' and 'not needed,' IMHO, (if that speed is needed in 'this caliber', then get a 454 casull).


I use 300gr. and 260gr. cast, and i stay between 1000/1200fps, usually falling in the '1100fps area,' with a 300gr Cast. This is plenty, but as was stated, so is 950fps! This is one versitile caliber, and has been 'long over due' for more respect than what it has had over the last couple of decades. I am glad to see Mcnett, 'bringing interest' in on this truly wonderful caliber!



This caliber is great for...'MICE to MOOSE,' as one fellow put it.


CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 16:29   #32
turbonatr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: N.E., PA
Posts: 8,372
Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
Quote:
Originally posted by CanyonMan
This is correct. What some people 'do not realize,' is that 'this caliber' has 'tremedous potential' even at lower, or slower, velocities.

Not the 1400fps, speed/s, which i agree 'is way to much,' and 'not needed,' IMHO, (if that speed is needed in 'this caliber', then get a 454 casull).


I use 300gr. and 260gr. cast, and i stay between 1000/1200fps, usually falling in the '1100fps area,' with a 300gr Cast. This is plenty, but as was stated, so is 950fps! This is one versitile caliber, and has been 'long over due' for more respect than what it has had over the last couple of decades. I am glad to see Mcnett, 'bringing interest' in on this truly wonderful caliber!



This caliber is great for...'MICE to MOOSE,' as one fellow put it.


CanyonMan
+1!!
__________________
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 16:34   #33
turbonatr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: N.E., PA
Posts: 8,372
Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
Quote:
Originally posted by SDGlock23
McNett,
On the self defense side of it, have you considered the 250gr Gold Dot bullet? I just got some in today (factory loaded) and it's a really gnarly looking big bullet.

__________________
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 20:01   #34
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
On the above post by " turbonatr ". (the one with the .45 Colt pic)

Someone on this forum had a thread called "Why do you prefer a revolver?" Well, "Look at the pic," turbonatr posted!

Yes i like semi-auto's, got a bunch. But i do prefer the revolver.
For Huntng, obviously, and i carry one on the ranch all the time, and have forever. For CC in town, i switch back and forth some what, 'when' i carry.

I've been shot at, ( back in the 60's, enough said), and i don't want 'any gun' pointed at me again. 'Any gun' in your face, or out of the brush, is scary as heck.

BUT, man there is something about the revolver, looking into those 'great big hollow points' in the cylinder, that will 'melt you like wax!'

Mcnett, you wanted us to get on the 'SD' side of things for a spell here, well, i too would like to see a 250gr. GD, (and i will throw this in), a 250gr. XTP, for 'SD' in the .45Colt.

Mcnett seems to be a man of many surprises here lately!


CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 20:25   #35
turbonatr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: N.E., PA
Posts: 8,372
Send a message via AIM to turbonatr
The factory Speer 250gr. Gold Dot averaged about 700fps from my 4" model 25. They are advertised by Speer at 900fps, i'm guessing from a bit longer barrel. An honest 900fps or so from a 4" barrel would be perfection IMHO.
__________________
P.A. Glocker Charter Member #48
Pennsylvania Constitution Article I, Section 21
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of
themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
turbonatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 21:27   #36
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
An honest 900fps or so from a 4" barrel would be perfection IMHO.

I just went to Speer's website, and noticed they have a 250gr .45 colt, going 900fps, for 450 M.E. Interesting to note, that they 'do not' have 'anything' listed under their hunting line up! Weird!
And they consider this laod a a "plinking load," to "small game."
Man even at 900fps, that bullet should blow a hole big enough to pitch a dog through!

I see that Cor-bon has a 200gr. at 1100fps, and 537 M.E. This, IMHO, 'Would Not' be ideal for a 4" carry gun.

I think from the 4", for SD, that somewhere between the 900/975, would be a really good load. As you said, " An HONEST 900, 'or so.'

**Edit Note***

Sorry i forgot you had just mentioned the Speer GD, from 'your gun,' when i wrote that first part here... ;f

I see they used a 5.5" barrel, (of who knows what), but your right, and "Honest" 900/975, from the 4" would be Ideal for SD.


Since i reload, (as most of us do), i really did not realize how 'little' there is out there, in a 'decent' load for the .45 colt.


CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 03-09-2005 at 21:40..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 21:39   #37
PaleGreenHorse
10mm
 
PaleGreenHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,717


The hotter the better!

Hot stuff Mike, Hot stuff! Show that 44magnum whats up.;f There are already too many "dumb" down loads for the .45colt. We need more hunting loads!
__________________
G20, G29, G17, G19
PaleGreenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 22:02   #38
CanyonMan
In The Saddle
 
CanyonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,906
Quote:
Hot stuff Mike, Hot stuff! Show that 44magnum whats up. There are already too many "dumb" down loads for the .45colt. We need more hunting loads!

My man, i respect your desire for something HOT, but that is already the 'mind set problem,' with the 45 colt. It 'does not' take that much from 'this caliber' to bring down game. This is not a "magic caliber," i understand that, yet it is a 'very unique one.' !

It truly will hold it's own "ALREADY," with the 44mag. Even with lower veloscity loads. Oh perhaps not on paper, or the feel in the palm of your hand, but i can tell ya from three decades of shooting and reloading the big bores, that "on the business end," it very much so, 'holds it's own' with the 44mag, again, even with the lower veloscity rounds.

Talking HOT here, i still load 22.0grs, of 2400 behind a 250gr. Keith bullet in 44mag. that puppy is going 1425/1440fps, with a "250gr, bullet."


With a 265gr.bullet in the .45 colt, at even 900/1100fps, this will, with a hard cast bullet, blow a major hole through and through an Elk.
Hardly no recoil at all, compared to the Keith load in the 44mag, retro-rocket load, and a 'bigger hole to boot.' ;f


I ain't tryin to rain on your desires here, 'not at all,' nor am i claming to be a expert, 'never met one of them for real yet,' I am just saying that even at the lower velosity rounds, "on the business end," the .45 colt has 'already embarrassed the 44mag,' and i shoot and love both, but the .45 colt far the more.

I think all that 'speed desire,' is over on the .357sig forum!


CanyonMan
__________________
You boy's saddled this bronc, now let's see if you can ride it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 23:21   #39
Sixgun_Symphony
NRA4EVR
 
Sixgun_Symphony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 9,287
Check out this article

Blackpowder Magnums by Mike Venturino
Sixgun_Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 00:38   #40
PaleGreenHorse
10mm
 
PaleGreenHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,717


Quote:
Originally posted by CanyonMan
My man, i respect your desire for something HOT, but that is already the 'mind set problem,' with the 45 colt. It 'does not' take that much from 'this caliber' to bring down game. This is not a "magic caliber," i understand that, yet it is a 'very unique one.' !

It truly will hold it's own "ALREADY," with the 44mag. Even with lower veloscity loads. Oh perhaps not on paper, or the feel in the palm of your hand, but i can tell ya from three decades of shooting and reloading the big bores, that "on the business end," it very much so, 'holds it's own' with the 44mag, again, even with the lower veloscity rounds.

Talking HOT here, i still load 22.0grs, of 2400 behind a 250gr. Keith bullet in 44mag. that puppy is going 1425/1440fps, with a "250gr, bullet."


With a 265gr.bullet in the .45 colt, at even 900/1100fps, this will, with a hard cast bullet, blow a major hole through and through an Elk.
Hardly no recoil at all, compared to the Keith load in the 44mag, retro-rocket load, and a 'bigger hole to boot.' ;f


I ain't tryin to rain on your desires here, 'not at all,' nor am i claming to be a expert, 'never met one of them for real yet,' I am just saying that even at the lower velosity rounds, "on the business end," the .45 colt has 'already embarrassed the 44mag,' and i shoot and love both, but the .45 colt far the more.

I think all that 'speed desire,' is over on the .357sig forum!


CanyonMan
How about this old timer.....I shoot a .45colt in a Ruger platform and I would like more speed, Its my desire not yours so please, you shoot what you like and I will do the same. No offense, but your opinion was not asked for. Mike asked what we liked as individuals, this is what I like, and what I would prefer to see from DoubleTap. As far as my request for speed, I would like to see a .45colt retain some serious energy and velocity at long distances for larger game. Thanks though, PGH
__________________
G20, G29, G17, G19

Last edited by PaleGreenHorse; 03-10-2005 at 00:42..
PaleGreenHorse is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,002
304 Members
698 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31