Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:03   #1
FatBob

CVA Optima?

I've been wanting to get a muzzleloader for deer hunting for quite some time. I have used them many occassion (range only). I have shot the NEF Sidekick, and the CVA Hunterbolt, as well as some actual flint lock rifles. I have never hunted with a muzzleloader, but I was raised to believe that you only need one shot for deer hunting.

That being said, I really like the CVA Optima muzzleloader in .50 cal. The specific one I am looking at is the blued 26" barrel w/ black stock. I've been to a couple shops and handled this model (as well as some others) and I like this one. I have done a little research, but I would really appreciate some first hand knowledge? Pro/cons?

I am open to any other suggestions? I would like to keep the price around $250 or less, so then I can still afford to get all the start-up supplies, and maybe a scope if I decide to go that way.

Thanks, Kory.
FatBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:48   #2
barr115
More Cowbell !!

Pretty nice gun for the money. Just a note, and I know all muzzleloaders like different loads, but the best success we found was w/ 2 50 grain pellets and (I think here) a 245 Powerbelt ballistic tip bullet. You will have to play around to get your dialed in though. Like I said, the gun is a bit on the heavy side and slightly unfinished/utilitarian, BUT it does go bang when the trigger is pulled and is accurate. ;c
Old 02-11-2005, 07:17   #3
BlackBelt

I took my CVA Optima Pro out yesterday just for the heck of it. I took it out to my lease land and set up a target at 50 and 100 yards.
Man, I love that muzzleloader. Accurate as can be. Using a rifle rest, mine shot 1 inch groups at 50 yards. That's as good as I can do with a rifle. Mine likes 2 - 50 grain pellets of Triple 7 and a PowerBelt 245. I bought mine from Cabelas, with the blued barrel and the MossyOak camo stocks, plus a scope. I think I paid just over 300 for the whole package. Might be a little more than you want to spend, but if you leave off the scope, you could probably get it in your price range. I needed the scope because my old eyes aren't what they used to be.
I think that anyone that wants a break action muzzleloader will be happy with this gun. The big plus is that you can clean the whole thing in under 5 minutes!
I say--get it!
BlackBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:03   #4
mudfootball

Send a message via AIM to mudfootball
well the posters ahead of me here are pretty convincing. unfortunately the majority of people i talk to are unhappy with the winchester/cva muzzleloaders. the optima seems to handle nice though. ME? i went with the t/c omega and couldnt be happier, its a few more bucks, but for deer and ground hogs it gets more use than my .308, tack driver at 100 yds. if you do get the cva as some one else said, try lots of different powder/bullet/sabot combos, what works in an identicle gun that so and so has, might not be as perfect in yours. that goes for all ml's let us know how you like it
kt
mudfootball is offline   Reply With Quote