Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2014, 19:15   #1
NitLion

Fun Range visit with Taurus 669!

The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy the wheelguns!
Took my Taurus 669 out on the Fourth and just enjoyed it soo much! Like my 851, it is no longer made but I think is one of Taurus' best. I bought this in 2006 (new old stock).
My first shot confirmed that the sight were on
The Wheelhouse

(Nothing worse than Nazi Zombies shufflin' around on a Holiday!) I then emptied the rest of the first cylinder on steel (@16 yards):
The Wheelhouse

Love that glint of sun on the barrel there.
I shot 50 rounds of 357mag -
Underwood Ammunition - 158g- FMJ

and 100 rounds of 38 Special:
J&J Ammunition - 125g - PHP and
Underwood Ammunition- 125g - FMJ

Everything ran without a hitch! I had a self sealing target (cube) on a post at 16 yards (so that it would fall off when hit), steel at 16 yards, a bowling pin at 26 yards and an 8" steel plate at 42 yards. I had a couple of perfect runs where I would knock down the cube, put one on steel (16yds) , knock over the bowling pin and then put the last three on steel out at 42 yds. It was a fun challenge with some target variety. Here is the steel out at 42 yards:
The Wheelhouse

I have not put a lot through this gun - 320 rounds of Magnum representing six different loads and 485 rounds of 38 Spcl representing eight different loads - but I think I will start breaking it out more often! Oh yeah, I had to go back to the Zombie....like the movie said -"Doubletap"

The Wheelhouse
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #5
Pa. Glockers #65
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 19:32   #2
Berto
woo woo

Nice shooting!
Taurus can make decent revolvers, I actually was shooting one today (mod 94). I really like those early mod 90s Taurus guns too, they came nicely finished with sweet Brazilian rosewood stocks.
Old 07-05-2014, 19:43   #3
w9trb

Are taurus pistols copies of earlier S&W and colts? If so, which models are copies of which S&W's. I have a model 605 that I really like (5 shot .357 snubbie) and I wonder what it is patterned after.
w9trb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 21:53   #4
bac1023

Very nice

I've got a 689 that shoots great.

The Wheelhouse

The Wheelhouse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 07-19-2014 at 21:55..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 21:55   #5
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9trb View Post
Are taurus pistols copies of earlier S&W and colts? If so, which models are copies of which S&W's. I have a model 605 that I really like (5 shot .357 snubbie) and I wonder what it is patterned after.
S&W and Colt revolvers are very different, so its kind of difficult to be a copy of both.

The early Taurus revolvers are much closer to S&Ws.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 19:36   #6
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9trb View Post
The early Taurus revolvers were similar to S&W revolvers. There are some differences in that Smith's have fixed Spurs on the hammer to strike the firing pin whereas the Tauri's have a plate that comes up over the firing pin and the hammer has no spur.

The 669VR also called the 689 was my first off duty gun in the early 90's. Wish I still had it! Have the 7-shot 66 and it is a great gun!

Nice pics

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 19:48   #7
azbuckeye

My father in law has 2 older Model 85 snubbies. He swears by them and has had no issues with either of them.
Are the cruel cruel things that you said
azbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:20   #8
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbuckeye View Post
My father in law has 2 older Model 85 snubbies. He swears by them and has had no issues with either of them.
I've had a couple of them over the years. One was from the 90's, it was the hammerless version (85CH IIRC) and the other one a titanium version. Really nice and concealable.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote