SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2010, 19:45   #1
RLB

I must brag

It was a great evening.
We have been feeding a semi feral Calico kitten for a week now with the intent to rescue her if at all possible. The past couple evenings we have used food to coax her into our garage so she would be comfortable with it.
I had planned to close the door behind her on Monday. With colder temps in the weather forecast starting tonight I decide to speed things up.
When she entered the garage tonight and went to eat I shut the door behind her. I only wish I would have let her eat because she is nervous now.
Now the work starts in earnest. We have been able to lightly pet her while she is eating but not really pet her and certainly not hold her. With other cats in the house we can not bring her in until she goes to the vet for a checkup. That will happen next week.
When she calms down enough I will take and post photos.
Just had to share our good fortune.
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 23:47   #2
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

All our animals as kids were strays. First a good feeding. Then a warm box by the garage. A day later they'd get promoted to the garage. A couple more days, and they'd be in the basement. After that, it was all over. Adopted!

Good for you and good luck.
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 21:41   #3
RLB

Thanks
She has warmed up a lot today. She started purring as we were petting her.
She has started drinking and eating so both are good signs.
Next week is a vet trip for tests and shots, then she is inside.
It was all over when we started feeding her.
Old 09-30-2010, 21:47   #4
GotGlock1917
Lifetime Membership

Congrats on the new kitty.

I recently took a dumped kitten to my vet and paid for the shots and neuter in exchange for finding him a good home so I wouldn't have to drop him at the "shelter".

I wish I could get my feral cat to trust me. I feed and water her every day on my front porch but she won't let me within 10 feet of her.
GotGlock1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 16:26   #5
RLB

She went to the vet Saturday.
She is older than we originally thought.
We noticed her ears were round topped instead of pointed. I also noticed they were scabbed over when I moved her inside Friday. The vet believes it was caused by frostbite and her ear infection has caused her to dig them and keep them open. She growls and snarls when I pull her out of her box to medicate her, but immediately calms down and enjoys being petted.
We are keeping her away from the other kitties for a few more days to make sure she is rabies free.
GotGlock, some ferals never warm up. Our tuxedo male's sister would not let us within 10 feet of her. We feed her for almost a year. You are doing a great service for her just by feeding her. Who knows one days the light switch might turn on and she warms up.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:22   #6
goldenlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLB View Post
It was a great evening.
We have been feeding a semi feral Calico kitten for a week now with the intent to rescue her if at all possible. The past couple evenings we have used food to coax her into our garage so she would be comfortable with it.
I had planned to close the door behind her on Monday. With colder temps in the weather forecast starting tonight I decide to speed things up.
When she entered the garage tonight and went to eat I shut the door behind her. I only wish I would have let her eat because she is nervous now.
Now the work starts in earnest. We have been able to lightly pet her while she is eating but not really pet her and certainly not hold her. With other cats in the house we can not bring her in until she goes to the vet for a checkup. That will happen next week.
When she calms down enough I will take and post photos.
Just had to share our good fortune.
Thank your taking in this extremely lucky cat (now), and taking care of her.

I have a calico cat too. I have a real weakness for them....but basically, I love all cats.
Old 10-18-2010, 20:05   #7
RLB

We are the lucky ones. She adopted us.
She is starting to come around.
She is expressing herself more now.
I too have a soft spot for Calicos
She is our second calico. Trying out the theory you can't have two int he same house.
I think this theory is wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 00:19   #8
mikey357
CLM Number 105
Charter Lifetime Member

CONGRATS on the new "Family Member"! All our pets are "Rescued", the latest being a two-year-old "Tom" who must've seen the "Sucker" sign in the front yard!...

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

...he looks a LOT better after his SURGERY for Entropion--basically, his eyelids were curled INTO his eyes, irritating them ALL THE TIME...first Pic is a "Before" pic, second is AFTER the Surgery....mikey357
S&W Club # 646
21 Club # 0357
NRA Life Member
Certified GLOCK Armorer
mikey357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:55   #9
RLB

Thanks.
Tom is very handsome. Not so much SUCKER as good home.
It has been a tough week with her. She is close to heat so she has gotten a little snarly. Hope she can have her spay next Friday. We have been working on introducing our others which has actually been going good.

Last edited by RLB; 10-22-2010 at 06:58..
Old 10-27-2010, 07:22   #10
gabbygus

Sounds, like she, is the lucky one. To get a lovely family. Congrats on you're new kitty.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33   #11
RLB

Thanks.
She is coming around. When she is in her box, she gets crabby.
When she is out I can pet her without any trouble.
I have not tried picking her up yet.
When the vet first examined her they put a muzzle/mask on her which instantly calmed her down. Calm enough to be given a bath.
I used it when we moved her to a different room and it worked. I might have to resort to this the first couple times I hold her.
Then again she might always be stand-offish.