GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 01:37   #41
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Im loaded with Speer Gold Dots right now. Just until I can order some DT's though ;f


I'm interested in a 147gr, and seeing how it would perform in a .357 SIG
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 13:25   #42
DepSherDan
Member
 
DepSherDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 40
so with all this 357 stuff what is the muzzle energy on one of those hot 1500fps rounds? ive never shot the sig round. the magnum round is tons of fun though
DepSherDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 21:28   #43
357glocker
Senior Member
 
357glocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NE
Posts: 2,251
Using the above chrony data of 1594fps for a 125grn bullet that is 705ft/lbs!
__________________
Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Losing- If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
357glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:42   #44
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Now if they just expand perfectly and dump all that energy, OUCH.
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 13:41   #45
DepSherDan
Member
 
DepSherDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 40
700 lbs energy?? im about to trade my model 30 in! what manufacturer makes the 700lb-ers? i might seriously consider...
DepSherDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 14:02   #46
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
www.doubletapammo.com

the 700 #ers was from a G35 though.


Caliber : .357 Sig
Bullet : 125gr. Gold Dot JHP

3.5" (G33) barrel - 1415fps / 556 ft. lbs
4.0" (G32) barrel - 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs
4.5" (G31) barrel - 1525fps / 645 ft. lbs
5.32" (G35) - 1594fps / 705 ft. lbs

Estimating here, it seems they gain on average of 40-50fps per 1/2" of barrel added.
6.02" (G24) - 1644fps / 750 ft. lbs
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !

Last edited by Tang419; 10-29-2005 at 14:15..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 14:18   #47
DepSherDan
Member
 
DepSherDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pa
Posts: 40
Wow i just checked out the 45 acp and the 9mm. Im gonna get the 200 gr and the 230 grain hollows. i know they will expand and imagine all that energy dump into a badguys chest. or a watermelon!
DepSherDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 22:22   #48
kidcoltoutlaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bluefield va
Posts: 187
4.5" barrel - 1525fps ?

4.5" barrel - 1525fps . Now that is fast has anybody run a chronograph on it to see if it will realy do that ?
__________________
it's not just a gun it's the symbol for freedom thanks,keith
kidcoltoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 13:47   #49
FATSEXY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 592
Mr. McNett,

How come none of the larger ammo manufacturers have hired you up to make loads for them? I am amazed that your ballistics consistently outperform "factory" loads by the margain that they do. Are your loads above the pressure specs for them or something?
FATSEXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:21   #50
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally posted by FATSEXY
Mr. McNett,

How come none of the larger ammo manufacturers have hired you up to make loads for them? I am amazed that your ballistics consistently outperform "factory" loads by the margain that they do. Are your loads above the pressure specs for them or something?

IIRC , most of Mike's loads aren't eve at a "+P" pressure level.
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:24   #51
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Re: 4.5" barrel - 1525fps ?

Quote:
Originally posted by kidcoltoutlaw
4.5" barrel - 1525fps . Now that is fast has anybody run a chronograph on it to see if it will realy do that ?

Yes, SPCWES has, only I think he was getting 1550.
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:04   #52
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally posted by Tang419
www.doubletapammo.com

the 700 #ers was from a G35 though.


Caliber : .357 Sig
Bullet : 125gr. Gold Dot JHP

3.5" (G33) barrel - 1415fps / 556 ft. lbs
4.0" (G32) barrel - 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs
4.5" (G31) barrel - 1525fps / 645 ft. lbs
5.32" (G35) - 1594fps / 705 ft. lbs

Estimating here, it seems they gain on average of 40-50fps per 1/2" of barrel added.
6.02" (G24) - 1644fps / 750 ft. lbs
Tang 419, you are correct in your post about the official glock specs, however, have you actually tried these velocities to be true in the real guns?

IŽll give you my doubts--measure the length of your glock 31 barrel from the top tip of the chamber to the end, youŽll get the 4.49". But, that is NOT effective barrel length, you must discount the chamber portion which is about 820 thousandŽs less. So you get 3.67" of effective barrel length.
Now meassure the length of a SW 2.5" snubie .357 magnum and youŽll get the 2.5" from the cylinder end meets the barrel. That is advertised so and effectively so.

When ammo manufacturers publish their data they use barrel lengths but we never know exactly how effectively those barrels meet the length criteria. I have rarely been able to get the published 1150 FPS out of my golden sabers out of my G22, and Remington says they use a 4" barrel. It would be great to know the velocities out of the guns themselves.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 17:39   #53
Martindog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 722
Quote:
Originally posted by Glockbuster
Tang 419, you are correct in your post about the official glock specs, however, have you actually tried these velocities to be true in the real guns?

IŽll give you my doubts--measure the length of your glock 31 barrel from the top tip of the chamber to the end, youŽll get the 4.49". But, that is NOT effective barrel length, you must discount the chamber portion which is about 820 thousandŽs less. So you get 3.67" of effective barrel length.
Now meassure the length of a SW 2.5" snubie .357 magnum and youŽll get the 2.5" from the cylinder end meets the barrel. That is advertised so and effectively so.

When ammo manufacturers publish their data they use barrel lengths but we never know exactly how effectively those barrels meet the length criteria. I have rarely been able to get the published 1150 FPS out of my golden sabers out of my G22, and Remington says they use a 4" barrel. It would be great to know the velocities out of the guns themselves.
Not sure I'm buying the idea that you need to disregard the chamber length when calculating barrel lengths. The chamber forms part of the "combustion" chamber of the barrel, you are getting the benefit of the empty cartridge case in contributing to the length of the barrel.

I'll concede that there's a delta between how revolver barrels are measured vs semi-auto's, but the chamber area is definitely part of the volume where powder burning occurs.
Martindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:37   #54
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally posted by Glockbuster
Tang 419, you are correct in your post about the official glock specs, however, have you actually tried these velocities to be true in the real guns?

Your doubts leak a lot of water. I haven't used them, but the G35 finding was done by Fatdog earlier in this topic. The other 3 specs are from Mike Mcnett's site www.doubletapammo.com . Feel free to go there and dispute him, but most find his numbers are on the conservitive side. Spcwes was getting 1550 from his G31, slightly better than the advertised numbers. The one I said "estimating" on, I was estimating, just for fun. Now that one was a guess of numbers, with avergaes.

3.5" (G33) barrel - 1415fps / 556 ft. lbs
4.0" (G32) barrel - 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs
4.5" (G31) barrel - 1525fps / 645 ft. lbs
5.32" (G35) - 1594fps / 705 ft. lbs
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !

Last edited by Tang419; 01-27-2006 at 11:40..
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:51   #55
Glockbuster
Senior Member
 
Glockbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Middle America
Posts: 1,364
Quote:
Originally posted by Tang419
Your doubts leak a lot of water. I haven't used them, but the G35 finding was done by Fatdog earlier in this topic. The other 3 specs are from Mike Mcnett's site www.doubletapammo.com . Feel free to go there and dispute him, but most find his numbers are on the conservitive side. Spcwes was getting 1550 from his G31, slightly better than the advertised numbers. The one I said "estimating" on, I was estimating, just for fun. Now that one was a guess of numbers, with avergaes.

3.5" (G33) barrel - 1415fps / 556 ft. lbs
4.0" (G32) barrel - 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs
4.5" (G31) barrel - 1525fps / 645 ft. lbs
5.32" (G35) - 1594fps / 705 ft. lbs
No flames intended Tang419, I was just asking if the velocities were out of the guns themselves since I thought I read barrel length, not actual gun. IŽll never doubt your word or spcwes data or Mike Mcnetts, if you guys say so I believe it. I was just trying to learn more since I do not have access to his fabulous ammo being overseas.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 23:04   #56
Tang419
Glock is GUUD
 
Tang419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cana, Virginia
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally posted by Glockbuster
No flames intended Tang419, I was just asking if the velocities were out of the guns themselves since I thought I read barrel length, not actual gun. IŽll never doubt your word or spcwes data or Mike Mcnetts, if you guys say so I believe it. I was just trying to learn more since I do not have access to his fabulous ammo being overseas.

I wasnt flaming either, sorry if it seemed that way. Just letting you know those were tested velocites.
__________________
Venturing off into the Gen 4 unknown with my G19 !
Tang419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 13:47   #57
MOHAA Player
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Donut Gestapo
Double Tap:
3.5" barrel - 1415fps
4.5" barrel - 1525fps

Speer:
4.0" barrel - 1350fps

Both have the same Gold Dot Bullet
Anyone have any numbers for Pen/Exp/Pressure?
These are the numbers that would matter to me not speed.
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 15:16   #58
vhyper007
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LA
Posts: 44
formula to calculate energy

Hello fellas,

I have an easy to use formula which will calculate the energy at any point for which you have a velocity. It works for every case when you know the bullet wt and velocity.

Example: 230 gr at 950 fps.(your basic +P .45ACP)

divide the mass (grains) and the velocity by 100

this gives us 2.3 and 9.5

So mass x velocity x velocity x constant = lb-ft energy

From the above: 2.3 x 9.5 x 9.5 x 2.22 = 461 (rounded off)

This works for every single bullet you can think of.
Remember 7000 grains = 1 pound and you can even calculate artillery and such.Don't worry about the constant. Just know it works!

Good day mates,
vhyper
vhyper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 14:28   #59
Dobbler
Senior Member
 
Dobbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 244
147g 357 SIG DT

And range/chrono reports on the 147g 357 SIG Doubletap loads?
Dobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 15:14   #60
NitLion
Senior Member
 
NitLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,288
List on page one updated to include: Wagner Acuswage - 125g - TMJ. I put an ** next to the ones which are no longer produced but may be found on someone's dusty old shelf....
__________________
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
Security is a superstition. It does not exist in nature."
- Helen Keller
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #5
Pa. Glockers #65
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 797
187 Members
610 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31