GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-04-2008, 19:46   #81
DannyR

I was wrong about the hands. They are Randy's hands.
Bull Dawg #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DannyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:36   #82
shooter757

That was a fantastic VID!
shooter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 17:45   #83
kahman

Send a message via ICQ to kahman Send a message via AIM to kahman Send a message via Yahoo to kahman
Perfect, thanks. Two guys at a local gun shop weren't doing it correctly and couldn't get it off. I added my mag extender and as I thought, I took it back off. Reason I got the G26 is to be as compact as possible. It just makes the handle almost as big as the G23 I was carrying. Just my opinion.

- Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community
kahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 14:29   #84
texLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySmith View Post
As do I - with your assessment.
[b]
It is all in the technique. Brute force is not required.

Do you even realize what part(s) you are compressing (and mashing/damaging) when you tighten up the vise grips? This tool is totally unnecessary.

Randy
Absolutely right! Quickest way to damage a magazine (with steel insert) that there is.

The old thing from Glock, about "pressing in on the sides of the magazine where the notch is" is a throwback to before the magazines had steel inserts. Us oldtimers remember those, they were the ones that would not fall free if loaded. However, they went away many years ago. Glock just never managed to change the instructions in their books, as far as I know. You CANNOT press in the sides of a modern magazine enough to slide the base off without damaging the steel insert. Period.

Having said all that, I want to say thanks for the video on this thread. I had been using a different technique, of sliding narrow strips of either plastic or steel between the lip of the base and the body, to actually spread out the lips of the base enough to slide it off (with the center post pushed in, of course). This method, however, is tedious at best, and not near as easy as the one shown on the video posted with this thread.

Again, thanks for that! Never to old, or smart, to learn something new. ;-)
Old 03-12-2008, 17:20   #85
DannyR

Gosh, I must have superhuman strength in my 64 year old weaker left hand.
Bull Dawg #1

Old 06-07-2008, 01:21   #86
NotSoFast

Okay. I followed all the instructions, watched the video several times and still had problems. I have a 10 rnd mag (courtesy of California) and a new Glock 17. The first magazine (both factory) the armorer's tool won't go deeper than 1/8" and that is with me pressing my full weight on the tool with the mag on the bench.

On the second, I finally got the tool to go all the way in. Then, when pressing I still needed the channel locks to press in the sides. Only slightly and with the jaws overcenter so that only the tips touched. When I finally got it to release and opened it up, the insert was in two pieces.

According to you folks it shouldn't be this hard. And I'm not going to try any more until I know what the problem is and why the insert broke. By the way, these are the two factory mags that came with the G17.

Any insight to what I am doing (or not doing)? Or is it because it is a 10 rounder that is the problem?

I ordered 5 more inserts from Glockmeister so it will be a few days until I can reassemble.

Does the two V-rails that run the length of the 10 rnd mags have anything to do with why my insert broke? They end only 0.24" from the bottom of the mag and the thickness through the mag at that point on each side is 0.26". With the insert width of 0.74" and the inner opening size of 0.76" I don't see how it has room to flip and not break. I may be missing something though.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Last edited by NotSoFast; 06-08-2008 at 20:55.. Reason: Added info. Changed follower to insert.
NotSoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:40   #87
NotSoFast

This one?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...20for%20GLOCK~
Old 06-10-2008, 19:45   #88
RandySmith

Here's a video for the 10 round "reduced capacity" type magazines.

Randy
GLOCK Firearms Instructor / G18 and Advanced Armorer

RandySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 17:03   #89
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

I just had a hell of a time disassembling 9mm and .40 mags to install Pierce Exts. DAMN!
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 16:10   #90
DannyR

Why? It's so easy, really.
Bull Dawg #1

Old 01-16-2009, 13:16   #91
Ryan Partridge

Thanks for the video Randy!

I just installed 3 Pearce Grip ext on my G-30 magazines. It took 2 minutes!
Ryan Partridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09   #92
peterj

I had the same problem, hard to remove the floor plates. After quite a bit of time and frustration, I found the easiest way to do this with no special tools.

take a mug of hot water, not boiling, just coffee hot. Soak the end of the mag in it for 45-60 seconds. Use the punch tool and while firmly squeezing the butt of the mag, press the floorplate against the bench or table. It should move very easily.

This worked like a charm for me. Good luck.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 22:53   #93
nraman

I am too cheap to buy a tool (or I couldn't wait), so I made one. I tried a few drill bits and found one that was a tight fit in the mag floor plate hole and also one more drill bit one size smaller than the first.
I used the smaller drill bit to drill a hole in a wooden dowel (the handle of a brush or anything you can find) I then pressed the first drill bit, the one that fit the best in the hole I just drilled in the wooden handle. I cut the drill bit and left only about 1/4" or less sticking out of the handle.
It works great! I would like to emphasize that I squeeze the sides just like on the video. If I don't squeeze, it takes a lot of force. The pin sticking out of the handle is too short to flip the locking plate, just long enough to disengage the little button off the floor plate.
Old 02-15-2010, 00:09   #94
Tingle

I never had a problem taking my glock mags apart until I bought my G26. For those I use 2 small pieces of popsicle stick above the tabs and a pair of channel locks over the end and the gat in for leverage.
Old 02-15-2010, 00:28   #95
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingle View Post
I never had a problem taking my glock mags apart until I bought my G26. For those I use 2 small pieces of popsicle stick above the tabs and a pair of channel locks over the end and the gat in for leverage.
Today, I tried to take apart a couple of G33 mags and failed, no matter how hard I tried. I was forced to shove feeler gauges on both sides to spread them apart a little.
I should have filed the corners of the tabs to make it easier for the next time.
Old 02-21-2010, 22:05   #96
RandySmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
I cut the drill bit and left only about 1/4" or less sticking out of the handle.
I'm glad you got it working but with only a 1/4" sticking out of your handle, it is not long enough to "flip" the insert.

There's more to it than just depressing the insert so it is below the floor plate.

Randy

Old 02-22-2010, 00:19   #97
nraman

Quote:
I'm glad you got it working but with only a 1/4" sticking out of your handle, it is not long enough to "flip" the insert.

There's more to it than just depressing the insert so it is below the floor plate.

Randy
Please explain, what else is there? I thought all we need to do is get the insert out of the way to free the floor plate.
Old 02-22-2010, 00:26   #98
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
take a mug of hot water, not boiling, just coffee hot. Soak the end of the mag in it for 45-60 seconds. Use the punch tool and while firmly squeezing the butt of the mag, press the floorplate against the bench or table. It should move very easily.

This worked like a charm for me. Good luck.
Great idea!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:05   #99
RandySmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
Please explain, what else is there? I thought all we need to do is get the insert out of the way to free the floor plate.
The insert is designed so that it prevents the sides of the magazine tube (where the locking tabs are located) from being compressed, thus the locking tabs effectively hold the floor plate in place.

To see this, disassemble a magazine, take everything out of the tube, then hold the insert in place and see how it fits. Note that when it is in place, the magazine tube is very difficult to compress.

The purpose of a longer "shaft" on your disassembly tool is to flip that insert out of the way. Watch my video again. Notice that the tool is inserted briskly into the hole in the floor plate and, that once it has been inserted, it stays in place. This motion causes the insert to turn sideways and it is no longer in a position to prevent the sides of the magazine tube from being compressed.

Once that insert has been flipped, you won't need vise grips, C-clamps, the brownell's tool, a hair dryer, a bench vise, boiling water, super-human strength, or anything else beyond your disassembly tool to remove the floor plate.

Keep in mind that the glock magazines do not disassemble like most other magazines on the market. I think this is one of the biggest hangups people have when they first start messing with them. The techniques you know and have used on all of your other magazines will not work well with these. They're designed differently.

Randy

Old 02-22-2010, 11:17   #100
nraman

Quote:
The insert is designed so that it prevents the sides of the magazine tube (where the locking tabs are located) from being compressed, thus the locking tabs effectively hold the floor plate in place.

To see this, disassemble a magazine, take everything out of the tube, then hold the insert in place and see how it fits. Note that when it is in place, the magazine tube is very difficult to compress.

The purpose of a longer "shaft" on your disassembly tool is to flip that insert out of the way. Watch my video again. Notice that the tool is inserted briskly into the hole in the floor plate and, that once it has been inserted, it stays in place. This motion causes the insert to turn sideways and it is no longer in a position to prevent the sides of the magazine tube from being compressed.

Once that insert has been flipped, you won't need vise grips, C-clamps, the brownell's tool, a hair dryer, a bench vise, boiling water, super-human strength, or anything else beyond your disassembly tool to remove the floor plate.

Keep in mind that the glock magazines do not disassemble like most other magazines on the market. I think this is one of the biggest hangups people have when they first start messing with them. The techniques you know and have used on all of your other magazines will not work well with these. They're designed differently.

Randy
Randy, you are absolutely correct!!!!!!!!
I just took apart half a dozen magazines using a long tool, and the difference is amazing. I had not realized how tightly the insert fits. I see now why you have to flip the insert.
Thanks a lot.
I think this needs to be a sticky.