Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2013, 14:54   #1
Jeremy_K

What vent saws are you guys using?

I'm looking into ordering new chainsaws for our department. I'm leaning toward Stihl due to years of experience with them being reliable. I just don't know the latest and greatest models out there. we've had problems with Huskys and Ventmasters in the past. I'd also like to talk them into getting carbide chains for whatever we buy. In my experience they've been great especially for guys who like to use a chainsaw like it's a K12. Any input appreciated.

Last edited by Jeremy_K; 08-31-2013 at 15:29..
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 18:52   #2
Dr. Rod

as seen on TV

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cha...s/ms461rescue/
Dr. Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 17:36   #3
BC Dan

Stihl here. We use 038's, 044's, and MS440's. The 044's and the MS440 seems to work a bit better, due to more chain speed. Carbide tipped chains are expensive but work a lot better than regular chain. Expect to break off a lot of teeth. We buy chain by the roll to make it a bit cheaper, and we have the tools to make up new chains as needed, and to remove/repair links when the carbide breaks off some of the links.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50   #4
Tvov

We have "K-12" circular saws, but mostly use Cutter's Edge saws now:

http://www.cuttersedge.com/Products/...2/Default.aspx

Seems like the big difference with Cutter's Edge is the "bullet chain", with the carbide round teeth. The saw pretty much cut through anything, as long as it is not thick metal. I've cut through garage doors (aluminum) and metal roof material without even dulling the teeth - the teeth will usually get broken off long before needing to be sharpened.

The chain saw style roof vent saws are a bazillion times easier to use than the K-12 style circular saws, but they do have their limits. The K-12 saws, with the right blade, will essentially go through anything.

I have not used the Echo angled vent saw, so I don't know anything about it, except some people say they take some getting used to, and they aren't as easy to use for anything other than roof venting (such as door cutting or especially tree branch cutting).

We consider our Cutter's Edge saws to be mostly venting/rescue only, and have standard chainsaws for regular chain saw work (lol, after Hurricanes Irene and Sandy, we have a ton of chainsaws!). My understanding is that the Cutter's Edge are more expensive than Stihl.

Jeremy K, are you looking into ordering "chain saws", or "rescue vent saws"? Or a saw(s) that can do both?

For roof venting, don't even bother considering anything other than carbide chain.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.

Last edited by Tvov; 09-03-2013 at 10:52..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:13   #5
LocknLoadPA

We use Cutters Edge both chainsaw and circular, with the bullet chain on the chainsaw and diamond blade on the circular saw. We use a Shindaiwa on the squad for trees down details. We do engine and truck work, no rescue.
LocknLoadPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:25   #6
Jeremy_K

I think we're leaning toward the Stihl MS 461R definitely with carbide chains. We have the TEAM rescue rotary saws with diamond blades and masonry blades if we need them. A chainsaw with a carbide chain will do most anything that the rotary saw has trouble with. I've had to use the rotary saw to vent a shopping plaza roof when we couldn't get the chainsaw to start. It was a blessing that night because that roof had about 3 layers of old roof on it. Before I moved from my last place we had purchased the Cutter's Edge chainsaws and I remember them being very powerful and very heavy. Never used them on a job though. I heard from one of the guys I worked with there that they're having problems with them but the old Stihls are running great.
Jeremy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 13:48   #7
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

We run the cutters edge saws on our truck and engine. They cut through anything we have ever needed to cut, and cut where regular chains failed. They run much better without the ethanol fuel, we're using the tool fuel from lowes. If we need to change a chain once a year it's a busy year.
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 14:24   #8
Tvov

Oh, don't get me started on the ethanol fuel. We are switching to the Tool Fuel. It is expensive, but supposed to NOT rot the fuel lines, carbs, gaskets, and everything else on the small engines. All of our small engines have had to be worked on because of the ethanol fuel. It seems neverending.

Old 11-18-2013, 15:36   #9
NYresq

Partner K950's with Warthog blades for roof work, K650's for FE.

We have a Cutters edge roof chainsaw as well, but I cant remember the last time it was actually used on a roof.

We do have a couple Stihl chainsaws for tree work and they are the best chainsaws you can buy, period.
NYresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 15:45   #10
Tvov

NYresq, what kind of roofing material do you normally run into? Where I am is "traditional" wood construction, usually asphalt shingles with plywood underneath. The Cutter's Edge chainsaw (or other chainsaws with the carbide teeth) out perform the circular blade vent saws by a wide margin and are substantially easier to use. I have done little commercial roof work - tar over metal or similar - so I don't know much about that.

Old 11-18-2013, 16:25   #11
NYresq

We get the standard plywood/asphalt shingles on houses and laid tar/foam board on commercials along with various other types ie rubber membranes and ahphalt rolled roofs etc.

We use these for the roof saws-
http://www.thewarthog.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=0

They cut faster than any chainsaws we have tried. Even the cutters edge bullet chains. Partly because of the blade, but partly because the K950's are monsters with torque, but not too cumbersome to carry up an aerial ladder.
Old 11-18-2013, 16:28   #12
NYresq

The other nice thing with the warthog blades is they have a very wide kerf, so getting a tool in to pull the cut isn't hard at all. Along the lines of 1/2" is easy for a fast cut, if you are really working the saw a 3/4" gap is normal when your done with your cut.

and the teeth are replaceable. A good saw blade shop can cut off and weld on new teeth.
Old 11-18-2013, 17:09   #13
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

CuttersEdge for roof work with the bullet chain. Easy controls for starting in dark conditions with fire gloves on. The blade guard was the first thing to remove.
Stihl chainsaws for ground work. K12 is the least used saw in our departments.