Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-04-2008, 16:34   #1
DeadSteam

I just got a 10 week old GSD!

So after talking about wanting one forever last night my girlfriend surprised me with a beautifull little purebred female german shepard. What now??!!

Basicly I'm way behind the curve and need to learn quick how to do things like potty train and raise a dog, everything from food I need to feed her to how much food to water to exercise... LOL I'm excited but I want to make sure I will be a responsible pet owner...

I just went to walmart and bought puppy chow... That seemed easy enough..

do I need a crate? how do I potty train...

She's wonderfull though.
DeadSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 17:51   #2
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Congratulations!!!

First off, buy better food, not the crap you get at Wally World or the super market. Food isn't as "easy" as you first suspected. I found out the hard way (people here tend to gravitate toward Innova, Canidae and SolidGold).

The crate depends on you, most folks swear by them, some just use a "safe room." She's young enough that a crate would probably do her a world of good. Mine would have freaked out, but he was older.

My 4-month-old pound puppy potty trained himself immediately and he had only lived outside at a rescue agency for his whole life. I was impressed. I had to put forth virtually no effort in potty training, just recognize his signals. He had three accidents in the house and he is now almost one year old. Two of them were my own fault because I knew he needed to go out and didn't move fast enough, and the third was no one's fault because his food didn't agree with him in the beginning.

Congratulations, and post some pictures as soon as you can!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.

Last edited by obxemt; 04-04-2008 at 18:14.. Reason: Because Platz is a smart ass, just like me.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 18:11   #3
Platz

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxemt View Post
Canadid
First off, if OBX could spell... ...what he MEANT to say was "canidae."
Old 04-04-2008, 18:14   #4
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platz View Post
First off, if OBX could spell... ...what he MEANT to say was "canidae."
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
Old 04-04-2008, 18:16   #5
Platz

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxemt View Post
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner

Is that the web version of the finger?
Old 04-04-2008, 18:19   #6
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platz View Post
Is that the web version of the finger?
It could be taken any number of ways.

1 - web version of the finger
2 - the CPU of my brain crashed because I deserved your post and couldn't come up with any adequate verbal response
3 - I cursed you with the blue screen

It probably was not number 3, however, because I've been on the receiving end of the blue screen and shed tears over it!
Old 04-04-2008, 18:24   #7
Platz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSteam View Post
So after talking about wanting one forever last night my girlfriend surprised me with a beautifull little purebred female german shepard.
Does she know any good looking single men who like to surprise their girlfriends with beautiful little purebred GSD's? Because if so.....
Old 04-04-2008, 21:32   #8
w30olds

Send a message via AIM to w30olds
Congrats on your new pup!!! We crate trained our 2 pups. Best thing we've ever done. At night all we have to say is "get in your beds" and they go and get in their crates. Toss in a few chew toys and they are good to go. Helps an awful lot on housebreaking. Made it a breeze.

As far as the food I've always heard if it can be bought at the grocery store or Wal-Mart steer clear. We feed all of our dogs Canidae. Great dog food. Makes their coats soft and shinny. No problems with skin conditions. We also mix in some raw food as well. Dog food is one of the things you can't go cheap on. Good food is very important and the cheap stuff may cause you some issues down the road.

Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
-Psalm 23:6
w30olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 00:25   #9
Tongo

Another thumbs up for canidae. We find it at our local feed store...only 7 bucks more than the Science Diet we used to feed them. And really, over three to four weeks, it's not that much more (a whole latte or two?). Their coat has improved a bit and their shedding has decreased.
Tongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:37   #10
TurboRocket

Congrats on your new pup. Would love to see some pics.

Food: chuck the puppy chow. Go with any of the names already mentioned. I'll throw in a few more... Evo and California Natural. Both are made by the same company that makes Innova. Evo uses no grains, and Cal Natural uses less ingredients. Science Diet, Iams, Eukanuba are crap. Later on, consider a raw diet if you are up to it.

Crate: I say, definitely. Dogs are den animals. Never use the crate as punishment, tho. Make sure the pup is comfortable in it. If needed, feed it with hand-fulls of food while pup is in the crate. It'll make housebreaking much easier. Also, much more tolerable if you have company and you don't want your dog running all over the house with said company.

Training: Don't worry too much about obedience stuff now. Let the pup be a pup. However, "imprint" its prey-drive now and training will be much easier down the road. For example, tie a clean shop rag on a rope, and play chase with the pup every day. Let it win occasionally. I never let the do win at the end of a session... keeps them wanting more the next time.

Figure out now what commands you want to use, and then be consistent.

You may also want to check out the videos at www.leerburg.com. I have a few of his videos, include the puppy training and the imprinting prey-drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote